• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
On another note, I think we can rule out any shipment problems for NSMB Wii, at least for the next 2 weeks or so.

NSMB is a beast and I expect it to be the first 4m seller for Wii. It would be interesting if it can match NSMBds in the long run.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Interesting that you say this. Looking at other major PS franchises on PS3, which have similar "early buyer" trends, there is an interesting pattern:

----- 1st day sales -> 1st week -> LTD
MGS4: 311k -> 476k -> 706k
Yakuza 3: 232k -> 357k -> 493k
RE5: 222k -> 322k -> 476k
FF13: 1M+α

All of them have LTD sales more than double their first day figures.
If FF13 follows the pattern too, 2M is in the bag.
PS3 software seems to have a much longer tail, thanks to the lower install base.

Biohazard almost always doubles its initial days/weeks, though. A quick look at Moor Angol's site shows:

Biohazard 0: 47.51%
Biohazard (GC): 44.50%
Biohazard 4 (GC): 65.91%
Biohazard 4 (PS2): 51.63%
Biohazard 4 Wii Edition: 34.57%
Umbrella Chronicles: 38.34%

MGS is a little higher:

MGS2: 54.85%
MGS3: 59.42%

Yakuza has shown legs too. So it's hard to say.

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:
FFX's first day comprised of about 63% of its pre-budget price LTD. FFXII was about 63% as well.

If FFXIII follows FFX and FFXII, then it's LTD (pre-Ultimate Hits) will be about 1,587,000.

Uh oh! Better hope they sold tons of those bundles. :lol

Can you try to be a little less apparent cvx? We don't even have numbers yet and you've been super eager to spin FFXIII's doom while praise NSMB's demand every chance you get. It comes off as kinda annoying and smug.

schuelma

Bebpo said:
Can you try to be a little less apparent cvx? We don't even have numbers yet and you've been super eager to spin FFXIII's doom while praise NSMB's demand every chance you get. It comes off as kinda annoying and smug.

Ridiculous

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Nirolak said:
I like how FFXIII has an insert about online gaming, yet lacks an online mode.

Perhaps they want to get people interested in getting online for the DLC?

That or perhaps Sony asked/paid them to put it in there.
The game comes with some kind of FFXIV beta trial/free ingame weapon thing.

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:

So reality hurts you? Good to know! :lol

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
So reality hurts you? Good to know! :lol

Your Nintendo fanboyism was most apparent when you were predicting massive doom for the Slim.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
On another note, I think we can rule out any shipment problems for NSMB Wii, at least for the next 2 weeks or so.
With this shipment we can rule out stock problems only for one week.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
With this shipment we can rule out stock problems only for one week.

Hmm..possible, especially if it does another 400K or so this week.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
Your Nintendo fanboyism was most apparent when you were predicting massive doom for the Slim.

Maybe I should stop offering my observations and input in these threads and let Bebpo do it instead. What do you think, guys?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
noobie said:
I thought FFIV beta is only for PC at the moment... is it also for PS3??
The PS3 beta won't be open until after the PC beta has been out for a while, but Japanese users can sign up for the PS3 beta in advance with their campaign code that comes with FFXIII.

PS3 beta applications for the rest of the world will open at a later date. Perhaps we'll get a 'campaign code' with FFXIII too.. (special edition?)

schuelma

LINK.AGE76 said:
Can we at least expect 3m units shipped for NSMBWii by years end?

Seems possible. Next week will give a better picture, but I'm not expecting much of a drop off, honestly.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
Hmm..possible, especially if it does another 400K or so this week.
This year is a little strange because it ends very early (27/12/09). Last week of 2009 (52) will be bigger than other times and as usually week 1 of 2010 remains huge.

Schrade

Nirolak said:
I like how FFXIII has an insert about online gaming, yet lacks an online mode.

Perhaps they want to get people interested in getting online for the DLC?

That or perhaps Sony asked/paid them to put it in there.
Isn't that the Final Fantasy XIV beta code?

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Sorry, where are our manners.
According to the news coming out. The 1M figure is from Square Enix themselves. Enterbrain's name is not attached to this for now.

Well, this surely mixes things up a bit. Has a tracker ever exceeded a company's announcement? Hell, has there ever been an announcement for Japanese sales of this nature? I honestly have no clue.

I think it might as well be taken similarly, since Sinobi's comfortable enough doing so.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Well, this surely mixes things up a bit. Has a tracker ever exceeded a company's announcement? Hell, has there ever been an announcement for Japanese sales of this nature? I honestly have no clue.

I think it might as well be taken similarly, since Sinobi's comfortable enough doing so.
Yes, Famitsu's reported it now, so it is Enterbrain data, I assume.

cvxfreak

NightHawk17 said:
how much has yakuza 3 sold?

Jonnyram said:
Yakuza 3: 232k -> 357k -> 493k

Anywho, I can't help but wonder just what the penetration rate for PS3 hardware and FFXIII was (the non-bundle). As I mentioned yesterday, PS3 standard SKU sales were huge and were probably bigger than the bundle. It had to have exceeded 10%, meaning that at least 100K PS3 systems were sold yesterday (and then factor in the bundles). Even the DS would have a hard time beating that in 2006 in a similar period. Wherever FFXIII sales go (and they're fantastic and profitable), it's the PS3 HW that will not disappoint by any stretch of the word.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
bundle. It had to have exceeded 10%, meaning that at least 100K PS3 systems were sold yesterday (and then factor in the bundles). Even the DS would have a hard time beating that in 2006 in a similar period.

That could mean like a 250K week or something insane like that? Jeebus

Grampasso

LINK.AGE76 said:
NSMB is a beast and I expect it to be the first 4m seller for Wii. It would be interesting if it can match NSMBds in the long run.
I don't think it has the slightest chance to match NSMBds, tbh.

LINK.AGE76 said:

you dreaming mate! with Wii Sports bundled to the Wii for god know how long and it still havent even reach 3.6mil in Japan after how many years? what makes you think that NSMB will reach 4mil?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sleeping_dragon said:
you dreaming mate! with Wii Sports bundled to the Wii for god know how long and it still havent even reach 3.6mil in Japan after how many years? what makes you think that NSMB will reach 4mil?
If you don't know anything about japanese sales better don't post.

Grampasso

sleeping_dragon said:
Wii Sports isn't bundled in Japan

sleeping_dragon said:

I'm trying to figure out how this could possibly make sense. You think that the Wii has sold less than 3.6 million? Or are those 3.6 million extra copies of Wii Sports, in addition to the ones that came with the Wii? You know, in case people wanted an extra.

onken

So maybe almost 1.2m first day including bundles. That's pretty much about as good as they could have hoped for. Now for the weekend...

cvxfreak

Dengeki's numbers for this week are out, making ToG look even worse than it already does.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/222/222532/

1. NSMB Wii - 441,700 / 1,379,741
2. ToG - 124,000
3. [PS3] CoD MW2 - 103,510
4. Friend Collection - 85,150 / 1,894,673
5. Naruto: Narutimate Ancel 3 - 80,341
6. PSP2 - 77,205 / 364m254
7. Wii Fit Plus - 65,429 / 1,111,983
8. Pokepark Wii - 60,800 / 121,111
9. Layton 4 - 55,953/ 421,470
10. GvG Next Plus - 55,892 / 291,025

schuelma

I'm sure SE isn't off by much or anything, but I really wish we had real tracked 1st day numbers.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
SE announced it, but I don't think Famitsu would publish another tracker's data. Also, the timing is spot on. The only thing we are missing is first day sales for other releases yesterday. Hmm.

True, but sinobi usually has exact numbers and this time there is nothing but the SE announcement. Again, I'm sure the numbers are close whatever they are, just wish we had the complete number.

sleeping_dragon said:

Like everyone said Wii Sports wasn't bundled and still sold 3.5m. I think NSMBWii will sell 4m because it's already selling crazy, Shinobi reported 2m shipped today. I expect it to be at 2.4m by years end and keep trucking into next year. Q1 for the Wii is abysmal and NSMBWii will be the inventive for anyone to get a Wii that have yet to get it. Oh and don't underestimate the selling power of a 2d Mario game:D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Jonnyram said:
SE announced it, but I don't think Famitsu would publish another tracker's data. Also, the timing is spot on. The only thing we are missing is first day sales for other releases yesterday. Hmm.
I don't know if this can be true, but maybe it's a number from S-E internal tracking team?

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:

They wouldn't announce another tracker's data, no,

I remember at the beginning of 2006 when Nintendo had a post-holiday conference that Famitsu covered. Iwata had a graph of MC charts that were suspiciously absent from Famitsu's photo coverage of the event. :lol

Chris1964 said:
I don't know if this can be true, but maybe it's a number from S-E internal tracking team?

You mean *that site*? Oh noes. :p

gutabo

cvxfreak said:
Maybe I should stop offering my observations and input in these threads and let Bebpo do it instead. What do you think, guys?
Long time lurker, this is the first time I post in a sales-age thread, and is just to tell you cvx, to PLEASE drop that idea forever.

LINK.AGE76 said:
Like everyone said Wii Sports wasn't bundled and still sold 3.5m. I think NSMBWii will sell 4m because it's already selling crazy, Shinobi reported 2m shipped today. I expect it to be at 2.4m by years end and keep trucking into next year. Q1 for the Wii is abysmal and NSMBWii will be the inventive for anyone to get a Wii that have yet to get it. Oh and don't underestimate the selling power of a 2d Mario game:D

what? ok i got owned!!:lol , if that is the case then i say 50:50 for NSMB reaching 4mil.

Top Bottom