• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

cvxfreak said:
Well, damn me for what I've caused.

I don't have the heart to disappoint this many people. Indeed, I sure as hell didn't expect this kind of reaction. Impressions will live to fight another day.

If Namco wants to do a PSP version of Graces, then they will, regardless of hardware limitations and what not. Just like the inevitable MHP3 for PSP (and I hear MH3 is supposed to be a stunner as far as Wii games go).

But I would assume we'll see first see PSP ports of whatever PS2 Tales haven't been ported yet. Legendia and Abyss, perhaps?
Just ignore the assholes, they come and go.

But people I can tolerate? Incredibly rare.

obonicus

cvxfreak said:
I don't have the heart to disappoint this many people. Indeed, I sure as hell didn't expect this kind of reaction. Impressions will live to fight another day.

Maybe you've explained this elsewhere, but how many stores do you usually visit to post your impressions?

GAF is why we can't have nice things. Thanks for the reports 'til now, cvx, glad you won't be departing the threads altogether.

cvxfreak

obonicus said:
Maybe you've explained this elsewhere, but how many stores do you usually visit to post your impressions?

As few as three and as many as twelve, depending on where I have to go and what I have to do on a given day. It's different each time, depending on the day's weather (rain = go home after finishing a task right away). I make many of my impressions from my netbook at Starbucks after looking at shops, so often times I go into a shop twice after some time has lapsed to see if things have picked up or changed.

I'm not comfortable talking about a potential trend if I don't see it in multiple shops. It took repeating patterns about NSMB Wii's demand and the advertisement hype of FFXIII to make the conclusions/assumptions I've written. It's by no means representative, but I think it's useful.

Now the thread's creeping back on topic, I'm not sure that a PSP port of Graces would necessarily do that well. Just going from memory here but the ports of previous mainline games were dwindling in sales on the platform, leading some to even suggest that the fanbase was no longer there until TotWRM2 became the best selling Tales of game of the generation up to that point.

cvxfreak said:
As few as three and as many as twelve, depending on where I have to go and what I have to do on a given day. It's different each time, depending on the day's weather (rain = go home after finishing a task right away). I make many of my impressions from my netbook at Starbucks after looking at shops, so often times I go into a shop twice after some time has lapsed to see if things have picked up or changed.

I'm not comfortable talking about a potential trend if I don't see it in multiple shops. It took repeating patterns about NSMB Wii's demand and the advertisement hype of FFXIII to make the conclusions/assumptions I've written. It's by no means representative, but I think it's useful.

Cvxfreak - I just want to say your work is very much appreciated. I look very much forward to your posts, as they provide great insight and information - something that you CANNOT find anywhere else. It is because of this reason that your posts are invaluable, and I cannot stress that enough.

kswiston

Glad to see that cvxfreak is not going anywhere. There are weeks/months when I am too busy to post in these threads (and starting a PhD program in January, that might be the case very soon), but I have at least skimmed through them every week for the past 2-3 years. Cvxfreak and a handful of other M-C regulars are the reason I read past the first post, even when I am busy.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Now the thread's creeping back on topic, I'm not sure that a PSP port of Graces would necessarily do that well. Just going from memory here but the ports of previous mainline games were dwindling in sales on the platform, leading some to even suggest that the fanbase was no longer there until TotWRM2 became the best selling Tales of game of the generation up to that point.

Back on topic, what is preventing N-B from porting Tales of Graces onto the PS3? It's not like there hasn't been an RPG on the PS3 that could have easily have been done on the Wii before (Disgaea 3 for instance). Tidy up the textures to support a higher resolution, add a couple characters/dungeons, and offer it up as a late port. A psp downport might be less work, but it is not the only option.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity, do we think FFXIII is going to cause an uptick in PS3 software, or did that uptick already happen?

The PS3 line-up seems quite strong as it is for a home console in Japan, so I feel another uptick would put it at surprisingly high levels of software support.

dolemite

Nirolak said:
Out of curiosity, do we think FFXIII is going to cause an uptick in PS3 software, or did that uptick already happen?
There is a reason why the publishers stayed away from the Modern Warfare 2 launch window. The same applies to FFXIII in Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
dolemite said:
There is a reason why the publishers stayed away from the Modern Warfare 2 launch window. The same applies to FFXIII in Japan.
No I don't mean in its launch window, I mean an uptick in overall PS3 software development.

It seems like a lot of that uptick has already happened though, considering a lot of the games releasing for PS3 already target that audience, but I was wondering if people thought we'd see a few more Japanese developers and/or teams jumping on the PS3 due to the general PS3 upswing that comes along with an FF release, or if people thought the developers that were willing and able to move onto it already have.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
No I don't mean in its launch window, I mean an uptick in overall PS3 software development.

If it's a break out hit just like FFVII was on the PS1, then yes.

cvxfreak

Well, I'm heading off to the usual game shops in a few hours. Going to be getting a friend the FFXIII strategy guide for Christmas, so I'll be on the usual look out. :D

Stuff to keep a look out for:

- FFXIII and NSMB Wii
- Hardware

cvxfreak said:
Well, I'm heading off to the usual game shops in a few hours. Going to be getting a friend the FFXIII strategy guide for Christmas, so I'll be on the usual look out. :D

- FFXIII and NSMB Wii
- Hardware

Do you mind checking the status on Tales please.

Brofist

LINK.AGE76 said:
Do you mind checking the status on Tales please.
FWIW I saw plenty copies when I was out shopping today. I'm not sure what the release price was, but I saw it for around 6000 yen which seemed low.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kpop100 said:
FWIW I saw plenty copies when I was out shopping today. I'm not sure what the release price was, but I saw it for around 6000 yen which seemed low.
I believe it launched at 7329 yen.

cvxfreak said:

- FFXIII and NSMB Wii
- Hardware

take a look about 1000yen basket please !
many games has been released in the latest weeks, i'm very curious to know which of them have already got a dramatic price drop :D

kpop100 said:

It sure is Tales of Disgraces then like Y2Kev said.

Brofist

Moor-Angol said:
take a look about 1000yen basket please !
many games has been released in the latest weeks, i'm very curious to know which of them have already got a dramatic price drop :D
Kinda rare for a game to hit the 1000 yen mark that quickly, the most notable title in the bargain bin is MH3 as cvx noted.

mujun

Went to Denden today.

Dropped into A-Too, they had FFXIII at 7,400 yen, a reduced price 100 yen lower than the price I got the game for on launch day in Umeda.

They also had a bunch of copies, they weren't in danger of selling out anytime soon.

I think that people like myself who want to get at least 75% of what they paid for a game when they sell it back to a store are going to need to do it within a couple of weeks of the game's release because there might be a lot of 2nd hand copies hitting the shelves along side whatever new stock is left unbought on shelves.

Brofist

mujun said:
Went to Denden today.

Dropped into A-Too, they had FFXIII at 7,400 yen, a reduced price 100 yen lower than the price I got the game for on launch day in Umeda.

They also had a bunch of copies, they weren't in danger of selling out anytime soon.

I think that people like myself who want to get at least 75% of what they paid for a game when they sell it back to a store are going to need to do it within a couple of weeks of the game's release because there might be a lot of 2nd hand copies hitting the shelves along side whatever new stock is left unbought on shelves.
Geo in Den Den is buying back for 6500 yen, don't think that will last more than a week or so.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Can you try to be a little less apparent kpop100 and mujun? We don't even have numbers yet and you've been super eager to spin FFXIII's doom. It comes off as kinda annoying and smug.

cvxfreak said:

- FFXIII and NSMB Wii
- Hardware

cool, i was going to ask you about remaining ff13 bundles :p

kpop100 said:
Kinda rare for a game to hit the 1000 yen mark that quickly, the most notable title in the bargain bin is MH3 as cvx noted.

well, not only games priced at 1000yen, i meant price drop in general, for example this summer i bought Onore no Shinzuru, the action puzzle ninja game for PSP at 50% off (1980yen)(it's really a worth!)

and next week i'll be there, so i could post my impressions, Saitama and north Tokyo area :D

Brofist

Chris1964 said:
Can you try to be a little less apparent kpop100 and mujun? We don't even have numbers yet and you've been super eager to spin FFXIII's doom. It comes off as kinda annoying and smug.
Damn caught again :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
I sense a meme coming on.

Brofist

Moor-Angol said:
well, not only games priced at 1000yen, i meant price drop in general, for example this summer i bought Onore no Shinzuru, the action puzzle ninja game for PSP at 50% off (1980yen)(it's really a worth!)

and next week i'll be there, so i could post my impressions, Saitama and north Tokyo area :D
Ahh I see. Usually there are 2 bargain bins. The one for semi new games that are marked down, and the get this shit out of my store bin. I thought you were speaking of the latter heh. Either way I didn't see anything that interesting. Maybe after the holidays?

EDarkness

I just spent a little while running around shopping and checking various game places around town. Man, Yokohama Yodobashi Camera was packed. The number of people in there was insane and it was around 4:30p or so. Gotta admit, I think the big winners are gonna be NSMBW and FFXIII. Tons of copies being bought, but in the time I was there, they sold a crapton of Wii's with everything from the new drum game (Taiko 2 - I think), Graces, and of course Mario. Checked out a few other places and they weren't as busy, but FFXIII seemed to be doing well, but each place had a ton of copies. Sadly, there are already used copies out and about and when I went to one place a guy was already trading it in. Damn, no idea how these guys blow through games that fast. Thing is the used copy is just a few yen less than a brand new game!

Yodobashi:
yodobashi1.jpg

yodobashi2.jpg

yodobashi3.jpg

yodobashi4.jpg

Went to Bic Camera near my house and found that FFXIII was selling pretty well. Most of the people who were buying games were buying FFXIII. No systems selling, but definitely selling the regular version of the game. I didn't see any copies of NSMBW so I'm gonna assume they were out. I would have asked, but they were pretty busy at the time. Saw a few people buying Graces and the black Wii and DSi LL seemed to be pretty popular as well. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things as the week rolls on since I'll be in town a few times before Christmas. Lots of people out shopping today. :D

Some pics...

...if I can figure out how to post them...

Edit: I guess I can't hot link from my own site. Oh well...the URLs should work fine.

bic1.jpg

bic2.jpg

EDarkness said:
I just spent a little while running around shopping and checking various game places around town. Man, Yokohama Yodobashi Camera was packed. The number of people in there was insane and it was around 4:30p or so. Gotta admit, I think the big winners are gonna be NSMBW and FFXIII. Tons of copies being bought, but in the time I was there, they sold a crapton of Wii's with everything from the new drum game, Graces, and of course Mario. Checked out a few other places and they weren't as busy, but FFXIII seemed to be doing well, but each place had a ton of copies. Sadly, there are already used copies out and about and when I went to one place a guy was already trading it in. Damn, no idea how these guys blow through games that fast. Thing is the used copy is just a few yen less than a brand new game!

Went to Bic Camera near my house and found that FFXIII was selling pretty well. Most of the people who were buying games were buying FFXIII. No systems selling, but definitely selling the regular version of the game. I didn't see any copies of NSMBW so I'm gonna assume they were out. I would have asked, but they were pretty busy at the time. Saw a few people buying Graces and the black Wii and DSi LL seemed to be pretty popular as well. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things as the week rolls on since I'll be in town a few times before Christmas. Lots of people out shopping today. :D

Some pics...

...if I can figure out how to post them...

Thanks for sharing man. I hope Graces picks up, FF13 being traded in soon could be a bad sign, but we'll have to wait. I can wait for next weeks numbers for Mario and FF13.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EDarkness said:
Yodobashi:
http://www.omc-games.com/pics/yodobashi1.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.omc-games.com/pics/yodobashi2.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.omc-games.com/pics/yodobashi3.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.omc-games.com/pics/yodobashi4.jpg[img]

Some pics...

...if I can figure out how to post them...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. For those pictures to show up though, you will have to use a different host, as the site disallows hotlinking.

Moor-Angol said:
we can start arguing if DQX will be released on Wii, or switched to DS or Wii/PS3 release or... who knows ?

the long silence after the announcement made 12 months ago could be interpreted in many ways :D
That probably means it's cancelled, like FF III DS and Crystal Bearers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JoshuaJSlone said:
That probably means it's cancelled, like FF III DS and Crystal Bearers.
I'm constantly confused as to why Square Enix announces their games so early and then goes dark for so long.

They did this with FFXIII, FFvsXIII, Rapture, and The Last Remnant too.

Nirolak said:
I'm constantly confused as to why Square Enix announces their games so early and then goes dark for so long.

They did this with FFXIII, FFvsXIII, Rapture, and The Last Remnant too.
But they don't usually move them. FFXIII getting multiplatform was most likely thanks to Microsoft than Square-Enix changing their mind on their own.

Now Agito 13 and Parasite Eve were indeed moved to PSP, but because the target platform wasn't going to exist in their way they had thought. And even after moved, they have been in the dark for long too.

DQX case, they didn't even have the logo. That's enough to know how far they were in that project. Its not going to move, but it was just an announcement for a plan.

kswiston said:
Back on topic, what is preventing N-B from porting Tales of Graces onto the PS3? It's not like there hasn't been an RPG on the PS3 that could have easily have been done on the Wii before (Disgaea 3 for instance). Tidy up the textures to support a higher resolution, add a couple characters/dungeons, and offer it up as a late port. A psp downport might be less work, but it is not the only option.
My two cents here, I think its way more likely (and still unlikely overall) for Graces to go to PS3 than PSP.

PSP got ports of Eternia, Phantasia, Destiny 2 and Rebirth, or in other words, the 2D-games. They didn't port any of the 3D ones, Symphonia, Legendia and Abyss. Destiny Remake hasn't seen a port yet, and I think that would be more likely than a 3D title.

On the other hand, PS3 port of Vesperia did better than the PSP ports (which went downhill big time too). On the PS3 they also sold Vesperia for 7800Y (same as Vesperia 360, more than Graces Wii, way more than the PSP ports) and added a fuckload of paid DLC.
PS3 is also proved for a port coming in a "short" time (compared to the PSP ones, which were years between them), and going up from Wii to PS3 seems way easier than going down from Wii to PSP for a 3D title (considering they didn't go down from PS2 to PSP for a 3D title). Still, first line, I don't think its going anywhere anytime soon.

cvxfreak

Just made my usual rounds, and game stores are indeed very busy in Shinjuku, although not quite super busy where it gets unmanageable.

NSMB Wii - Still selling briskly. Not much else to say on that front. Expect a huge week that can possibly match the 2nd week. Yodobashi still enacting the 1-per-person rule.

FFXIII - Also still selling nicely, though stock is plentiful. Yodobashi, the store I showed the other day, sold out of their Lightning PS3 Slim bundles, but Bic Camera still has them in stock.

Wii - Selling lots. Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii are the top hardware attachments. Wii Sports Resort is also a favorite.

PS3 - Also selling lots, and considerably more than the Wii at the shops I visited. This week is going to be the PS3s biggest week, possibly ever.

DS - Selling well, and it seems as if the DSi LL has fallen behind the DSi.

PSP - Didn't see any get sold... might have a bit of a slow holiday.

PSPgo - lololol (see picture below)

360 - ...

2u4si6p.jpg

(All PS3 FFXIII bundles)

6h8e8p.png

(Sign at the same store saying the bundles are in stock.)

5ed63d.jpg

(Weekend deal: get 13% off your PSP go in Yodobashi points. That equals 3484 points, which is a ¥3484 discount/~$40USD. Consoles usually only net you 5% points back.).

mujun

Chris1964 said:

What do you mean?

Maybe not posting at all?

Or should I only post when I have positive spin?

Fuck you, I was just trying to help, I could care less whether it succeeds or fails.

For prosperity's sake I bought the game and I think it's a bit of a snooze fest four or so hours in. Maybe this info will help you label me a fanboy or something so I thought I'd share.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
mujun said:
What do you mean?

Maybe not posting at all?

Or should I only post when I have positive spin?

Fuck you, I was just trying to help, I could care less whether it succeeds or fails.

For prosperity's sake I bought the game and I think it's a bit of a snooze fest four or so hours in. Maybe this info will help you label me a fanboy or something so I thought I'd share.
It was sarcasm. Look at post #457.

cvxfreak

Oh shit. That comment really does strike a nerve. :lol

Interesting anecdote: NSMB DS sold out at Yodobashi. I wanted to buy a copy because I got rid of mine awhile back, but NSMB Wii got me interested again, and a whole bunch of other people wanting the actual game.

Top Bottom