• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gerg said:
I don't think that Nintendo has a Wii hardware revision in store.

You are probably right, I just can't get over how empty 2010 looks and how silent Nintendo has been.

squall211 said:
I think most if not all FF games sold roughly 90% of their LTD by the end of 3 weeks.
So was Dragon Quest, but the norm is not always the rule as we learned with DQIX.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked to see a little bit less of an extreme curve on FFXIII due to the nature of it's place on PS3.

Elios83

Chuck Norris said:
I don't know the week by week history but all the Final Fantasies have seemed to have sold 500 - 600k past their first week. That's hardly bad at all unless that's all centered in the second and third week?

Actually that's the case. But things could be a bit different this time because week 2 and week 3 for the game are nothing less than the two biggest sales week of the year.
So the game could spur demand for the console which still hasn't a huge installed base and sell itself to new buyers. If it creates momentum it could also get bigger legs like FFVII.

In any case SE will definetly ship more than 2m units and they will be happy as that was their target/dream.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
I admit I find this amusing- FF13 and PS3 numbers have hit, now its on to the next major battle- Wii v. PS3 2010!
Well, to be fair, it's the most interesting battle we have left.

The next closest battle we have is PSP vs. DS, and it's not exactly a mystery how that one will end. :p

schuelma said:
Getting back to an earlier point I raised- does anyone think Nintendo has some sort of hardware revision in store for next year, or do they just have by far the worst lineup in the Wii's history?
I think they may be preparing for the DS2, even if it ultimately doesn't launch next year. We have a lot of rumors about it coming from quite reputable sources honestly, and the leaks are from the graphics vendor end, which consists of companies that are known to historically have every product they make leak out ahead of time, sometimes even over a year in advance. And assuming those hardware specifications are true, DS2 games would probably take 2-4 times the number of people DS games do, which could really be straining Nintendo's resources as a whole.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
Getting back to an earlier point I raised- does anyone think Nintendo has some sort of hardware revision in store for next year, or do they just have by far the worst lineup in the Wii's history?
I'm almost certain they will have some kind HD Wii ready this year. Maybe with Wii Speak built into the sensor bar, an ethernet port and possible camera. Miyamoto already hinted at it ages ago, and now is the perfect time. Of course, since that's the logical approach, they won't do it.

At the very least:

1251jk1.jpg

edit: image fixed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sage00 said:
At the very least:

http://images.nintendolife.com/articles/2008/01/14/more_wii_coloured_on_the_way/attachment/0/large.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Your hotlinking isn't working, but yes, they will probably at least have more colors.

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
You are comparing Final Fantasy and PS3 to Dragon Quest and DS. Two different things.

Also it seems like SE took some pretty major steps to try and combat used sales with DQ. To the best of my knowledge nothing similar is happening with FF13.

Chuck Norris said:
So was Dragon Quest, but the norm is not always the rule as we learned with DQIX.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked to see a little bit less of an extreme curve on FFXIII due to the nature of it's place on PS3.
Yes, but Dragon Quest IX was designed to combat the typical front-loaded nature of the series, with a robust multiplayer mode, considerable post-game downloadable content, and special "events".

FFXIII by all accounts certainly has no more replay value than the typical FF game and doesn't seem to be considerably lengthier than average either.

It could leg out better, I guess. Maybe all those things DQIX does aren't the reason for its better legs. Maybe Japanese people have changed. But I think the smart money would be on this being about 75% of FFXIII's final total.

gerg

Segata Sanshiro said:
It could leg out better, I guess. Maybe all those things DQIX does aren't the reason for its better legs. Maybe Japanese people have changed. But I think the smart money would be on this being about 75% of FFXIII's final total.

I think that's being slightly optimistic, but it all comes down to how much the larger holiday sales will combat the increasingly front-loaded nature of the series.

Road

I think the only thing FFXIII has going for it, as far as being less front-loaded, is a starved RPG fans crowd on the PS3, which helped WKC and ToV achieving impressive sales.

Edit: I should have said "may have" because many of those who bought those two games were probably the FF fans waiting for FFXIII.

schuelma

Really wish we had gotten actual 1st day numbers and we could determine its potential legs a bit better. I do think it will do better comparatively thanks to the holiday season.

gerg said:
I don't think that Nintendo has a Wii hardware revision in store.
I bet they do. Not Wii 2, but definitely something is in store. They'd be stupid not to after what revisions have done for the DS and PS3.

selig

Banned
I think that Nintendo´s lineup-problems are Japan-exclusive, though. (Just saying, maybe everyone already had that in their mind).
In the USA and Europe, a lot of great games are seeing their releases that had already been released in Japan. And Two big games, Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid, are just like 2009 or 2008, so no difference here.

So, in terms of Japan, what´s missing is a Wii_-style game. If fleshed out, i´d love to see a home console-Nintendogs. YEAH HERE I SAID IT!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Road said:
I think the only thing FFXIII has going for it, as far as being less front-loaded, is a starved RPG fans crowd on the PS3, which helped WKC and ToV achieving impressive sales.

I should have said "may have".
This one is interesting, it's the opposite argument people have when talking about Graces' performance. :]

On PS3 - Game sells well, due to it being the only game in that genre on the platform, fans are starved.
On Wii - Game sells badly, due to the only one in that genre on the platform, devs didn't build a fanbase.

schuelma

Sage00 said:
On Wii - Game sells badly, due to the only one in that genre on the platform, devs didn't build a fanbase.

That's only like 1 of 10 arguments people have used to explain Graces :lol

farnham

Banned
schuelma said:
You are probably right, I just can't get over how empty 2010 looks and how silent Nintendo has been.
they didnt even have their october conference... and all the titles that were shown in the october conference last year have been missing with the exception of reglinev...

Elios83

offshore said:
Install base really means nothing for a highly anticipated game IMO. That's why they're called system sellers. When the games comes, people buy the system. The alleged PS3 numbers seem to back that up.

Yeah I think that is true but only partially. Do you believe that if the game was a 360 exclusive in Japan it would have sold a million consoles there?^_^'' I have my doubts.
I mean, ok it's an hardware seller but reasonably with the installed base and the global success of the consoles it's running on.
If the Slim (and relative price cut) wasn't released, right now there would be a different scenario, probably FW sales would be around 900k-1m.

gerg

BishopLamont said:
I bet they do. Not Wii 2, but definitely something is in store. They'd be stupid not to after what revisions have done for the DS and PS3.

I think you're oversimplifying the situation here.

schuelma

farnham said:
they didnt even have their october conference... and all the titles that were shown in the october conference last year have been missing with the exception of reglinev...

Yeah. Like I said, I'm probably wrong, but there really isn't much of anything 1st or 3rd party that we know about. There are a lot of Nintendo franchises that should be either coming to Wii for the first time or getting followups (Mario Party, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario) that we haven't heard anything about.

Chris1964 said:
You are comparing Final Fantasy and PS3 to Dragon Quest and DS. Two different things.
Maybe you're right but I'd argue PS2 and PS3 are different things as well in regards to situation and potential for the series to be highlighted. FFXIII for PS3 is closer to FFVII's importance for PS1 than any of the PS2 titles in my opinion. Not to suggest this is a sole reason it could have longer legs, but I could imagine Sony attempting to keep it fresh in the minds of gamers. You'd hope.

Plus the market and the genre on consoles is far less saturated on PS3. That may also help.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, but Dragon Quest IX was designed to combat the typical front-loaded nature of the series, with a robust multiplayer mode, considerable post-game downloadable content, and special "events".

FFXIII by all accounts certainly has no more replay value than the typical FF game and doesn't seem to be considerably lengthier than average either.

Very true, and a great point.

Hasn't FFXIII DLC and/or connectivity with other XIII titles been hinted at strongly however?

chris0701

devilhawk said:
Yes, they are big. No, the past numbers have no legs.

(First Day)  First Week  2nd  3nd    LTD   FW/LTD 
FF7    (***.*)  2,034,879  329,740  167,865  3,277,766  62.08%
FF8    (***.*)  2,504,044  270,993  205,779  3,501,588  71.51%
FF9    (***.*)  1,954,421  328,404  123,827  2,707,301  72.19%
FF10.   (145.6)  1,749,737  233,429  *85,703  2,325,215  77.19%
FF10-2  (120.0)  1,472,914  181,798  *80,295  1,960,937   75.11%
FF12.   (144.1)  1,840,397  217,438  *91,078  2,322,541  79.24%
FF13.   (~100)  1,516,532

Road

Sage00 said:
This one is interesting, it's the opposite argument people have when talking about Graces' performance. :]

On PS3 - Game sells well, due to it being the only game in that genre on the platform, fans are starved.
On Grace's defense, it's possible PS3 has more JRPGs than the Wii. I just pointed out the biggest ones before FFXIII for it. hehe

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Chuck Norris said:
Maybe you're right but I'd argue PS2 and PS3 are different things as well in regards to situation and potential for the series to be highlighted. FFXIII for PS3 is closer to FFVII's importance for PS1 than any of the PS2 titles in my opinion. Not to suggest this is a sole reason it could have longer legs, but I could imagine Sony attempting to keep it fresh in the minds of gamers. You'd hope.

Plus the market and the genre on consoles is far less saturated on PS3. That may also help.
What you don't take in mind is the used market. Besides everything else after the first month, and with the high price it has, the used copies will kill it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If we are getting a revision, we'll probably start hearing more rumors on the way up to E3, especially if it's something larger than a form factor change.

Game companies are getting leakier by the year. Nintendo may be one of the least leaky, but they're still being effected by this.

Chris1964 said:
What you don't take in mind is the used market. Besides everything else after the first month, and with the high price it has, the used copies will kill it.
Maybe you're right

Does the used market effect the handheld market much or is the price difference small?

If Nintendo does a Wii revision next year, they'll have to do what Sony did to the PSP and moneyhat companies to put some big time software behind it :b

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Chuck Norris said:
Maybe you're right

Does the used market effect the handheld market much or is the price difference small?
Used market effects almost everything in Japan besides Nintendo titles.

duckroll

Chris1964 said:

Maybe this time it's different, maybe this time they'll look at the game, and tears will well up in their eyes as they think of the amazing memories they have of buying their first HD console and the brilliant experience S-E has delivered, and they just can't bear to sell it.

Not being serious, just in case people are dense!

Nirolak said:
If we are getting a revision, we'll probably start hearing more rumors on the way up to E3, especially if it's something larger than a form factor change.

Game companies are getting leakier by the year. Nintendo may be one of the least leaky, but they're still being effected by this.
M+ got leaked like hours before E3 IRRC, but yeah we'll know of a console revision pretty early on if it does happens.

Road

Nirolak said:

Nintendo is probably the less prone to leaks. DSiLL was not that important so maybe no one felt the need to leak info about it, but the thing just came out of nowhere.

gerg

BishopLamont said:
M+ got leaked like hours before E3 IRRC, but yeah we'll know of a console revision pretty early on if it does happens.

The only thing I remember was Nintendo sending out a press-release just before Microsoft's conference in order to pre-empt any "motion-controller" that they would announce. Of course, that never materialised.

ZoddGutts

I see the PS3 selling well at least till late April with the help of it's strong game lineup for the first 4 months with GT5 coming out in March 31. Not sure what they have for summer but I'm sure they'll be several new games announced by then. Also forgot one more game that will be coming out in 2010 on the PS3 and this is a big face palm not only for myself but for others not mentioning it:

jr7aja.jpg

Chuck Norris said:
Hasn't FFXIII DLC and/or connectivity with other XIII titles been hinted at strongly however?
Not even remotely, AFAIK.

Maybe you're right

The used market affects any game prone to being sold back. Japan doesn't have game rentals so a lot of people will buy games with full intentions of finishing them asap and selling them back, only losing about 1000-2000 yen in the process. As for prices, it varies by demand. Something like FF or DQ will sell only slightly lower than the cost of a new copy, particularly near to launch, while games that have been out for a while will often be significantly cheaper used. This goes for handheld games just as well as console games.

Road

dolemite said:
I can't believe Grace's corpse is still being dragged through the MC thread. Leave the title alone.
We have to see how badly it'll fall the 2nd week. Or if it'll have, conversely, a smaller than usual drop.

On other "off-topic" matters, I'm really curious about the Wii hardware and if NSMBWii went up or down this week.

duckroll

Yeah, why would anyone talk about Toriko in a Media Create thread? It's not going to set anything on fire or move any hardware. It'll probably be of interest when it's actually coming out in that week, since in general sales in Japan are so shit these days any title with a chance of selling 100-200k is of interest, but as far as the horizon goes, who gives a fuck! :lol

Road

duckroll said:
Yeah, why would anyone talk about Toriko in a Media Create thread? It's not going to set anything on fire or move any hardware. It'll probably be of interest when it's actually coming out in that week, since in general sales in Japan are so shit these days any title with a chance of selling 100-200k is of interest, but as far as the horizon goes, who gives a fuck! :lol
People talked about Crystal Bearers for great part of the year. =\

Edit: I'm also curious about MW2 second week. It should be Wednesday today.

Top Bottom