• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Road said:
On other "off-topic" matters, I'm really curious about the Wii hardware and if NSMBWii went up or down this week.

I'm expecting 180-190K for Wii hardware though it wouldn't shock me if it approaches 2007 levels and goes above 200K.

NSMB Wii..who knows. I think it will have a minimal drop but I think its possible to go up a bit, which would just be insane.

devilhawk

duckroll said:
Yeah, why would anyone talk about Toriko in a Media Create thread? It's not going to set anything on fire or move any hardware. It'll probably be of interest when it's actually coming out in that week, since in general sales in Japan are so shit these days any title with a chance of selling 100-200k is of interest, but as far as the horizon goes, who gives a fuck! :lol
I thought it was odd. Especially considering the passive aggressive way it was mentioned.

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu will have 52 weeks for 2009 and there is a possibility that Media Create will have 53 weeks. geimin.net also has 52 weeks for famitsu at their 2009 preview.
Craziness. So looking for the pattern among the lists, it seems Famitsu separates things by what year the last day of the week is on? I'm not sure how Media Create comes up with 53 weeks for 2003, though; there are 52 weeks where the majority of the days are in 2003, 52 weeks that start in 2003, and 52 weeks that end in 2003.
Regulus Tera said:
So still a drop from FFXII's first week numbers.

That said, I expecting a bigger drop.
Pretty much.
Orgen said:
I'm very bad with predictions, but I don't see the PS3 beating the Wii next year. It could be with FF XIII Versus, but if DQ X is out next year... then the PS3 has no chance IMO.
If DQ X is out next year, I'll eat a hat.
Nirolak said:
Well, it kind of looks like a mix between Ninja Gaiden and Metroid. Ninja Gaiden didn't do that great in the market either.
Hell, even if Metroid Other M does as well as all the 2D Metroid, 3D Metroid, and Ninja Gaiden games in Garaph combined (which covers everything PS2/GBA and later), it wouldn't make the top 10 of Nintendo-published Wii games.
Chris1964 said:
Final Fantasy XIII will have legs? I wouldn't bet my money on that.
It all depends on your standard for comparison.
20091221chucknorrislegs.jpg

AniHawk

TheBranca18 said:
I thought Team Ico games weren't big sellers, even in Japan? Did ICO or SoC put up big numbers in Japan?

Edit: answered, thanks chris0701

Actually, Team Ico games do best in America. SOTC sold a million copies in the States alone.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ZoddGutts said:
I see the PS3 selling well at least till late April with the help of it's strong game lineup for the first 4 months with GT5 coming out in March 31. Not sure what they have for summer but I'm sure they'll be several new games announced by then. Also forgot one more game that will be coming out in 2010 on the PS3 and this is a big face palm not only for myself but for others not mentioning it:

http://i48.tinypic.com/jr7aja.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I thought about it, it's just I didn't list it for the same reason I didn't list Metroid.

I'm also not entirely convinced it'll make it out in 2010. I think Sony might delay it until Q1 2011 in favor not launching it in the game flurry that is shaping up to be Fall 2010.

gerg

BishopLamont said:
Eh? What factors are they?

First, we need to examine any motivation to produce a hardware revision - this generally encompasses both reducing the cost of production, and incurring greater sales, both producing a greater profit. In regards to the former, this isn't really relevant to Nintendo; whereas Sony was losing a lot of money producing PS3s and was able to save money by producing a more compact, better-designed and smaller PS3, Nintendo already makes money on the Wii. From the perspective of actually breaking even, Nintendo doesn't "need" a hardware revision in the same way that Sony did.

In regards to incurring greater sales, it is also arguable that a minor Wii hardware revision (such as a size reduction) would not be effective in doing this. The PS3's hardware revision was introduced simultaneously alongside a price cut - it is arguable that the latter was much more effective at creating interest in the PS3 than the former, although both played some part in doing so. The DS Lite was successful partly because it offered a major advancement in terms of aesthetics on its predecessor. The problem with the Wii, as I have already somewhat highlighted, is that its aesthetics don't really seem to be a problem in regards to sales; it is already small and compact and well designed. As a result, I feel safe in saying that a minor hardware revision would not be an effective way of increasing sales. Nintendo would be much wiser to simply cut the price by another 50,000 yen or so.

But, of course, this leaves open the possibility of a major hardware revision, similar to the DSi, if not more radical. Here, people often mention the possibility of a Wii HD. However, I'm not sure that this would be very successful either, namely because I don't think that offering a Wii HD alone would be enough for Nintendo to convince third parties to develop for the system. To encourage such development would still require a vast investment of money, and it seems to me that it would be wisest to do so in preparation for the next generation, and not this one. There is also the fact that any major revision would most likely face an international release, and in the west a Wii HD is needed much less than it might be in Japan, thus making its release even less likely.

So, to summarise: I don't think that Nintendo will release a Wii HD because it has no motivation to do so from a production side, because a minor revision would essentially be pointless, and because a major revision would not lessen the amount of money Nintendo would need to spend to encourage third-party development for its platform.

schuelma said:
NSMB Wii..who knows. I think it will have a minimal drop but I think its possible to go up a bit, which would just be insane.

I thought about that possibility.

That would be very impressive.

chris0701

If SMBWii sold over 300k last week(AFAIk Nintendo released second batch of 500k units),the crown of console software sales of 2009 Japan would certianly be SMBWii.

My prediction of 2009 console software sales in Japan

Rank
#1 SMB Wii ~2.1 Million
#2 FFXIII ~ 1.7Million

Zen

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, that's a stronger first week than the (SE censored) first day told.

If it has FFX legs, it'll do 2m.
If it has FFXII legs, it won't but still will do >1,9m.

So overall, another shipment would be needed.

I'm surprised it outsold FFX-2 too. Would do 2m going by FFX-2 legs too.

FFX-2 1,472,914 (1,960,937)
FFXIII 1,516,532

Chris1964 said:
31/01/97 [PS1] Final Fantasy VII (Square) - 2.034.879 / 3.277.291 - 62,09%
11/02/99 [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) - 2.504.044 / 3.501.588 - 71,51%
07/07/00 [PS1] Final Fantasy IX (Square) - 1.954.421 / 2.707.301 - 72,19%
19/07/01 [PS2] Final Fantasy X (Square) - 1.749.737 / 2.325.215 - 75,25%
13/03/03 [PS2] Final Fantasy X-2 (Square Enix) - 1.472.914 / 1.960.937 - 75,11%
16/03/06 [PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) - 1.840.397 / 2.322.329 - 79,25%
17/12/09 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1.516.532 / ?

Phantast2k said:
PS3 HW = 245,406 <-- must include the bundles, right? :eek:

Sorry for the multiple quotes, but I've been late to the party on this one. Did any previous Final Fantasy's launch with a hardware bundle? I know we can't just start estimating the FFXIII sales but if the 200k number is true and did pretty much sell out, that would put FFXIII at 1 716 532, basically the same as Final Fantasy X. Either way, sales are pretty incredible.

It's a shame that this game is so linear, although XII wasn't very linear and it still had the worst historical legs. FFXIII will probably hit 2 million, it's sort of a shame that the game wasn't less linear, probably would have helped versus used copies. Although a Dragon Quest IX esque system might not have been as effective on consoles. When you think about all the time they had to work on it, it would have been nice if you could at least backtrack a little bit, although I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

gerg

Zen said:
Sorry for the multiple quotes, but I've been late to the party on this one. Did any previous Final Fantasy's launch with a hardware bundle? I know we can't just start estimating the FFXIII sales but if the 200k number is true and did pretty much sell out, that would put FFXIII at 1 716 532, basically the same as Final Fantasy X. Either way, sales are pretty incredible.

We already know the PS3's hardware sales, and the software sales you mention above include the bundled figures.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think this Media Create thread has a shot at becoming the longest of the year, simply by answering the same five questions about FFXIII's sales on every page, sometimes multiple times per page. :lol

chris0701

The 245000 PS3 sales included FFXIII bundle,so does the 1.5 Million sales of FFXIII.

The soaftware sale was great,however the hardware sales was *good* only.

Remember the amazing sales of PS3 in America on last month --440000:D :D

test_account

XP-39C²
chris0701 said:
The 245000 PS3 sales included FFXIII bundle,so does the 1.5 Million sales of FFXIII.

Remember the amazing sales of PS3 in America on last month --440000:D :D
Those 440K PS3 units sold in America last month accounted for 5 weeks though, while the 245K that was recently sold in Japan only accounted for 1 week :) Also, if i remember correctly, about twice as many people live in USA compared to how many people who live in Japan, so hardware and software sales might have a bigger chance to sell more in USA compared to in Japan.

EDIT: Or did the PS3 sell 440k units in America last month? I see 320,600 PS3 units sold in October 2009 and 710,400 PS3 units sold in November 2009 in the NPD numbers.

EDIT 2: I see now that the 440k numbers were from the Black Friday week. Thanks for mentioning this, Zen :)

devilhawk

Shiggy said:
Do both the FW and the PS3 hardware sales include FF13 bundles?
Yes.
Nirolak said:
I think this Media Create thread has a shot at becoming the longest of the year, simply by answering the same five questions about FFXIII's sales on every page, sometimes multiple times per page. :lol
Yes it will.

Duckroll said:
Yeah, why would anyone talk about Toriko in a Media Create thread? It's not going to set anything on fire or move any hardware. It'll probably be of interest when it's actually coming out in that week, since in general sales in Japan are so shit these days any title with a chance of selling 100-200k is of interest, but as far as the horizon goes, who gives a fuck!

The Last Guardian will set the charts on fire. It'll stop the nation, there will be news coverage on it as people line up for hours to get a copy. The industry will undergo a radical shift as developers are inspired by the quality of the Last Guardian. It will go on to be the best selling game of all time.

In a perfect world

Zen

Banned
test_account said:
Those 440K PS3 units sold in America last month accounted for 5 weeks though, while the 245K that was recently sold in Japan only accounted for 1 week :) Also, if i remember correctly, about twice as many people live in USA compared to how many people who live in Japan, so hardware and software sales might have a bigger chance to sell more in USA compared to in Japan.

The 440k was actually for Black Friday week. :) The PS3 sold 710k for the month of November in the US.

http://www.psu.com/Sony-sells-440k-PS3s-in-first-week-of-holiday-shopping-News--a008406-p0.php (first link that came up)

test_account

XP-39C²
Zen said:
The 440k was actually for Black Friday week. :) The PS3 sold 710k for the month of November in the US.

http://www.psu.com/Sony-sells-440k-PS3s-in-first-week-of-holiday-shopping-News--a008406-p0.php (first link that came up)
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) I checked the NPD numbers and i didnt see that the PS3 had sold 440k in one month, so i was wondering where the 440k number were from.

The PS3 Black Friday sales in America was definitely higher than this week's PS3 sales in Japan, but a lot more people live in America compared to Japan, so there is probably a bigger chance for hardware and software sales to be bigger in USA compared to in Japan :)

Personally i think that 245k PS3 units sold (or any other gaming system for that matter) is better than "good". It might not be as much that what was sold in America though, that is true, but i still think that 245k hardware sales is very good hardware sales in Japan. The PS3 has also never sold this much in a single week before in Japan :)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
AniHawk said:
Actually, Team Ico games do best in America. SOTC sold a million copies in the States alone.
I think we can reduce this one to "Shadow of the Colossus did well in America". Ico sold only 270k in the US, 85k in Japan and 700k worldwide.

Zen

Banned
gerg said:
We already know the PS3's hardware sales, and the software sales you mention above include the bundled figures.

Ah, I was under the impression that they weren't counting bundles with regular software sales. The stories I read of FFXIII's 'We've sold over 1 million day one' said that number was excluding the Bundles. I just assumed the final tracking would as well, similar to how software sales for MGS4 were counted in America (different trackers I know!). My bad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sage00 said:
I think we can reduce this one to "Shadow of the Colossus did well in America". Ico sold only 270k in the US, 85k in Japan and 700k worldwide.
Honestly I think The Last Guardian will have a much harder time than SotC in America.

I have to imagine selling a game about stabbing giant monsters is a lot easier than selling a game about a kid who takes care of a giant bird-rat, while the bird-rat takes care of him.

Though technically that's more of an NPD thread kind of discussion, but I feel I may be murdered for suggesting such there.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
Honestly I think The Last Guardian will have a much harder time than SotC in America.

I have to imagine selling a game about stabbing giant monsters is a lot easier than selling a game about a kid who takes care of a giant bird-rat, while the bird-rat takes care of him.

That really depends on whether there are also other giant monsters you get to stab. Extra points if there are battles involving the giant bird-rat fighting another giant monster while you try to climb on the monster and help by stabbing it in the face.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
That really depends on whether there are also other giant monsters you get to stab. Extra points if there are battles involving the giant bird-rat fighting another giant monster while you try to climb on the monster and help by stabbing it in the face.
Well yes, in that case it might sell quite well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
chris0701 said:

I'd hardly say the hardware sales were merely good. Since the PS2 has launched, here's the number of home console weeks above 200,000:

2006-11-27 Wii 371936
2007-12-17 Wii 263718
2007-12-31 Wii 242802
(2006-12-18 Wii 203079 2006-12-25 Wii 203079 -- combined week)

2000-02-28 PS2 630552
(2001-12-24 PS2 281818 2001-12-31 PS2 281818 -- combined week)
(2003-12-22 PS2 201090 2003-12-29 PS2 201090 -- combined week)

So basically this is the PS3's best ever week by a huge margin, and it's the fourth best overall home console hardware in the last decade. Or if you exclude the combined weeks and launch weeks, the second best home consoles hardware sales ever.

dolemite

duckroll said:
Yeah, and a few bald marines here and there wouldn't hurt either.

Sage00 said:
Actually it seems like SOTC raised interest in Ico in Japan. Or even SOTC pre-release hype? It's a bit weird. There was a first Best rerelease in 2002 that didn't do much, but another one released in 2004 did pretty decently for the next few years. However, SOTC didn't release until 2005, so most of that release's sales had to have predated SOTC.
Best+2

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
So basically this is the PS3's best ever week by a huge margin, and it's the fourth best overall home console hardware in the last decade. Or if you exclude the combined weeks and launch weeks, the second best home consoles hardware sales ever.

Yup. I think we lost a bit of perspective with the 200K bundles thing and expecting over 300K for the week.

Stumpokapow said:
I'd hardly say the hardware sales were merely good. Since the PS2 has launched, here's the number of home console weeks above 200,000:

2006-11-27 Wii 371936
2007-12-17 Wii 263718
2007-12-31 Wii 242802

2000-02-28 PS2 630552

This is a depressing console home hardware Japan post haha.

Zen

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

2006-11-27 Wii 371936
2007-12-17 Wii 263718
2007-12-31 Wii 242802

2000-02-28 PS2 630552

In conjunction with the perpetually shrinking Japanese market, that's pretty fantastic. When I skimmed over your post, my mind just assumed you were referencing some PS3 sales, not PS2 sales data from healthier times. :lol

schuelma

Re: DQ:X. I think it will most likely stay on Wii. What I do think is that it will be coming too late to make any sort of real impact (the only impact I see is if SE gives the Wii more Dragon Quest in preparation for X).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
schuelma said:
Yup. I think we lost a bit of perspective with the 200K bundles thing and expecting over 300K for the week.

Well I think it's worth saying that I agree with the theory kicked around over the last few pages that bundle sales often hit a slightly different audience than regular hardware so I don't think the predictions of 300k were absurd given the concept of 200k bundles--

--on the other hand, I think maybe the faith in the 200k bundles and all of them selling out in one week might have been the absurd part because of the historical context of hardware sale high water marks.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
Well I think it's worth saying that I agree with the theory kicked around over the last few pages that bundle sales often hit a slightly different audience than regular hardware so I don't think the predictions of 300k were absurd given the concept of 200k bundles--

--on the other hand, I think maybe the faith in the 200k bundles and all of them selling out in one week might have been the absurd part because of the historical context of hardware sale high water marks.

Agreed on all points.

cvxfreak said:
So, are people still worried about DQX? :lol

I'm worried that it'll still be released on an unworthy, filthy home console instead of a glorious handheld, sure!

More to the topic at hand: Great sales for FFXIII. 1.8 Mil should be a lock, might reach 2 Mil. Let's see how it goes.

schuelma said:
Re: DQ:X. I think it will most likely stay on Wii. What I do think is that it will be coming too late to make any sort of real impact (the only impact I see is if SE gives the Wii more Dragon Quest in preparation for X).
Prepare for Dragon Quest Swords: Universal Tuning.

farnham

Banned
schuelma said:

Im still amazed that there is no DQ S Wii motion plus

it appears to be a no brainer.. especially since DQ S sold pretty well on wii

cvxfreak

schuelma said:

There have always been DQ remakes to accompany newer games coming out for the series (either before or after, the DS getting both). I don't see how the Wii is going to be the big exception, especially since DQVII is going to be a decade old next year and older than a lot of games were before they were remade. I don't see as much incentive for a DS version myself.

But, I hope FFXIII shows people not to get too bent out of shape over the userbase issue. DQ and FF will raise underperforming systems. It's actually quite interesting that this is the first time we can verify this for sure because up until now, their main entries always appeared on the winning system.

Stumpokapow said:

I honestly found it to be just too much. It would have been unprecedented, and big stores like Yodobashi and Bic Camera that could afford to stock a hundreds of the bundles are actually not too numerous. 100K is far more believable and actually would jive with my observations over the weekend of the preference for the standard PS3 over the bundle.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
I don't see how the Wii is going to be the big exception, especially since DQVII is going to be a decade old next year and older than a lot of games were before they were remade. I don't see as much incentive for a DS version myself.

I agree with you, but I'm starting to wonder given that its been over 2 years and there hasn't even been a DQ:Swords sequel announced yet, which has everyone has said would seem to be a no brainer. Maybe we'll hear something after DQ6 is out next month.

Honestly I think Enix just wants to push DQVI out first before they start hyping up anything else. What they say/do after DQVI releases should be very interesting.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
I agree with you, but I'm starting to wonder given that its been over 2 years and there hasn't even been a DQ:Swords sequel announced yet, which has everyone has said would seem to be a no brainer. Maybe we'll hear something after DQ6 is out next month.

I honestly wouldn't look into this so much myself. We don't have a Dragon Quest Monsters sequel either.

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
Honestly I think Enix just wants to push DQVI out first before they start hyping up anything else. What they say/do after DQVI releases should be very interesting.

Yup. If the next DQ project is for the DS, then who knows what is going on.

gerg

schuelma said:

Probably because a DQ: Swords isn't the most relevant title to shadow (I can't think of the right word here) a larger DQ RPG.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cvxfreak said:
There have always been DQ remakes to accompany newer games coming out for the series (either before or after, the DS getting both). I don't see how the Wii is going to be the big exception, especially since DQVII is going to be a decade old next year and older than a lot of games were before they were remade.
You would think, but so far this generation, Square Enix's actions have been anything but predictable.

I mean so far this generation Square Enix has:

1.) Bought Eidos
2.) Made a line-up of Xbox 360 exclusives
3.) Released a Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the same fiscal year
4.) Released three of their biggest games in the span of two months
5.) Started publishing lots of RTS games like Supreme Commander and Order of War
6.) Declared that consoles will cease to exist in 10 years as they will be replaced by cloud computing
7.) Taken up a strategy of making browser games across a global network of studios as a core part of their strategy
8.) Made a multiplatform Final Fantasy title on launch

I'm sure there are more, but those are just off the top of my head.

duckroll

I dunno, why can't it just be that Horii isn't interested in another Dragon Quest Swords? I don't think sales really matters that much in terms of what he does next. Anything with DQ on it will sell, as long as the game isn't a sack of shit. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker sold a shitload too, I don't see a sequel coming. Does that mean they're going to abandon the DS too? Lulz.

duckroll said:
I dunno, why can't it just be that Horii isn't interested in another Dragon Quest Swords? I don't think sales really matters that much in terms of what he does next. Anything with DQ on it will sell, as long as the game isn't a sack of shit. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker sold a shitload too, I don't see a sequel coming. Does that mean they're going to abandon the DS too? Lulz.

Dig the knife a little deeper, why doncha. I want my next DQM as much as anyone. :(

Grampasso

schuelma said:
Really wish we had gotten actual 1st day numbers and we could determine its potential legs a bit better. I do think it will do better comparatively thanks to the holiday season.
I remember a few months ago I also considered this possibility but someone (maybe donny?) pointed that games tend to be even more frontloaded when they're out during the holiday season. Could this be one of the reasons we have this huge unexpected sales number for FFXIII first week? Not that I don't want it to sell, I think it deserves the same sales as NSMBWii but we all know it won't be able to accomplish this goal, it's just quite unexpected and unprecedent. The only hint we have about it is that of all numbered FFs we have reliable numbers about it's the first one out in the holiday season.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
You would think, but so far this generation, Square Enix's actions have been anything but predictable.

I mean so far this generation Square Enix has:

1.) Bought Eidos
2.) Made a line-up of Xbox 360 exclusives
3.) Released a Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the same fiscal year
4.) Released three of their biggest games in the span of two months
5.) Started publishing lots of RTS games like Supreme Commander and Order of War
6.) Declared that consoles will cease to exist in 10 years as they will be replaced by cloud computing
7.) Taken up a strategy of making browser games across a global network of studios as a core part of their strategy
8.) Made a multiplatform Final Fantasy title on launch

I'm sure there are more, but those are just off the top of my head.

You forgot "Published Modern Warfare 2 in Japan". :)

Really nice FF XIII SW and HW. If only Versus can put out similar SW :(

On ToG, I expect a drop to 30k next week. What interests me is if the "biggest weeks of the year" will do much? TotA didn't drop much week 3-4, no?

As for DQ X, I expect a DQ VII remake and/or maybe even a Wii Monsters game (didn't Sugiyama hint at one?) beforehand. Would a DQ VII remake actually help the Wii in, like, getting a much more solid JRPG base?

Top Bottom