• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

Spiegel

markatisu said:
Well that is more believable to split 500k between the US and EU

Even shit games can sell 100-200k on Wii in those regions

If they make the online portion free, they will easily meet that target.

But the forecast is pretty low for a game that is supposedly going to get Pokemon-like advertising from Nintendo.

Maybe Capcom and Nintendo didn't reach an agreement?

dolemite

Spiegel said:

But the forecast is pretty low for a game that is supposedly going to get Pokemon-like advertising from Nintendo.

Why should Nintendo reach an agreement that may eat into the sales of their evergreen titles?

dolemite said:
Why should Nintendo reach an agreement that may eat into the sales of their evergreen titles?

Because their evergreen titles are in a totally different league.

Is that 500k LTD? I bet it'll sell more than that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
dolemite said:

I really really doubt Monster Hunter selling well would eat into sales of Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort.

This notion that Nintendo doesn't want third parties to succeed is directly at odds with statements from Nintendo themselves.

markatisu

Spiegel said:

Well with the Wii Capcom has historically underforecast, RE4, REUC were both at least 200-500k off what they ended up doing.

MH is not tested on the Wii overseas and even less so on consoles in general, the PSP sales overseas are nothing to gloat about so its easy enough to understand a lowball forecast that would appease investors if it does not do well and make them really happy if it exceeds that.

Would you rather Capcom stick to 1m WW and then come in short and have to deal with angry investors and explain why it did not happen?

onken

Spiegel said:
Thanks to Capcom's new revised forecast we know they expected Monster Hunter Tri to sell 1,5 million in Japan.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/e20091222.pdf

Page 7 - MH3 *overseas (500k)
onken said:
Come on you know full well you don't send 3 months worth of shipment out at launch for a game with this pedigree. A 1.1m first shipment says to me "we expect this game to sell 1.5m+"

It's nice to be right about something (for once).

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Ahh the mystery is solved. I'm struggling for the exact wording since I still think a 1.1M shipment and >1m LTD is a relative success, but I think its safe to say its a minor(?) letdown for Capcom.
I wonder if this will affect the next console Monster Hunter game, if that game will be exclusive to the Wii like MH3 is or if they will go multiplatform. I am sure that Capcom didnt lose any money on MH3, but seeing the 1.5 million expectation from Capcom seems to me that they was hoping for more sales. Maybe if Capcom goes multiplatform with the next console MH game, that this game will have a bigger chance to mean Capcom's sales expectations? But i also consider about 1 million copies of MH3 as a relative success as you say, i agree :)

onken said:
It's nice to be right about something (for once).
That is a good point, about how many copies that are shipped. I wonder how many big titled games that does get a first shipment that is as big as the publisher's/developer's sales expectations. For example FFXIII shipped 1.8 million copies, but Square-Enix seems to hope that FFXIII sells 2 million copies.

test_account

XP-39C²
kswiston said:
That 3.7M prediction for Lost Planet 2 was craziness. Did the original even hit 2M shipped worldwide?
The latest numbers that i can find for Lost Planet 1 is from June 29, 2007. Then Lost Planet 1 had sold 1.37 million units worldwide.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14520

At this date, Lost Planet 1 was about 5-6 months old. The PC and PS3 version was released after that these numbers were given out i think. I dont know how much the PC and the PS3 version sold, but i am under the impression that they didnt sell a lot at least. I guess that maybe Lost Planet might have gotten somewhere close to 2 million copies shipped worldwide by now, but i dont think that it much over 2 million copies at least if this is the case, if i should guess.

thefro

Considering how many people are interested in MH Tri amongst the Nintendo fanbase, I'd expect it to sell pretty well overseas.

Wouldn't be surprised if it sells better in the US & EU than in Japan.

If it is advertised the right way everyone who is interested in Zelda & Pokemon will want to play it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
test_account said:
I wonder if this will affect the next console Monster Hunter game, if that game will be exclusive to the Wii like MH3 is or if they will go multiplatform. I am sure that Capcom didnt lose any money on MH3, but seeing the 1.5 million expectation from Capcom seems to me that they was hoping for more sales. Maybe if Capcom goes multiplatform with the next console MH game, that this game will have a bigger chance to mean Capcom's sales expectations? But i also consider about 1 million copies of MH3 as a relative success as you say, i agree :)
Capcom seem to have been over exuberant with a lot of their expectations up until recently, so MH3 hitting the 66% mark is probably one of the better titles for performance vs expectation.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
kswiston said:
I still think that 5M will be tough. At some point, the Wii's fairly low install base will limit sales. 4M seems like a good bet though. The game will be at 2.5-2.75M by the end of the holidays. Sales will plummet afterwards, but if it continues to sell strongly, it could hit 4M by the end of 2010.
I don't think NSMBW sales will plummet after the end of holidays but slowly decline, like Wii Fit. In the case it follows the ''soft'' decline of NSMB we are looking at a 5+ million LTD.

markatisu

test_account said:

Well I suppose they could up-port the next one to the PS3 to garner additional sales, but the Wii-->PSP route seems to be the most financially sound at least for the next version. Not sure how many more copies you would sell splintering it between the PS3 and Wii though, I do not think its a situation like the Tales series saw where there is a quite large MH fanbase in waiting sitting on the Sony side of things waiting for MH

As has been mentioned though, this last quarter it seemed Capcom took a page out of Namco's book and overestimated some of their franchises which is why we have the downward revisions.

I can almost promise you Capcom did not lose any money solely due to the revenue earned from online (there is an interview somewhere that essentially says that)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
test_account said:
The latest numbers that i can find for Lost Planet 1 is from June 29, 2007. Then Lost Planet 1 had sold 1.37 million units worldwide.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14520

At this date, Lost Planet 1 was about 5-6 months old. The PC and PS3 version was released after that these numbers were given out i think. I dont know how much the PC and the PS3 version sold, but i am under the impression that they didnt sell a lot at least. I guess that maybe Lost Planet might have gotten somewhere close to 2 million copies shipped worldwide by now, but i dont think that it much over 2 million copies at least if this is the case, if i should guess.
Lost Planet actually sold 2.7 million: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html

swerve

Spiegel said:
Thanks to Capcom's new revised forecast we know they expected Monster Hunter Tri to sell 1,5 million in Japan.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/e20091222.pdf

Page 7 - MH3 *overseas (500k)

Can you explain that in more detail?

It looks to me like it's saying they were expecting to sell 500,000 overseas before March 31st but now they aren't because they've changed the release date.

Unless the star means 'not including'. Or do we have other data saying they expected total 2 million before the end of the fiscal year maybe?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
swerve said:
It looks to me like it's saying they were expecting to sell 500,000 overseas before March 31st but now they aren't because they've changed the release date.
I think you are correct.

There was a release in which they expected Monster Hunter to sell 2 million, Dark Void to sell 2 million, and Lost Planet 2 to sell 2.7 million, but they now changed them to the new forecast numbers of 3.7 million for Lost Planet 2 and state that their predictions for Dark Void were only 1.3 million, and are now being revised down to 600k.

I imagine reality set in somewhere between now and their Q1 release after seeing the sales of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and the general reaction to Dark Void.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PSP comparison time for the usual suspects.

Confirmed data I have as of 06/12/09:
473 games
Total software: 32.271.019

Geocities site has 39 games with more updated numbers, most of them 2009 games as usually: +339.745

and 22 games I don't have: +193.203

Adding and the geocities numbers I have
495 games
Total software: 32.803.967

What do you have?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
thefro said:
Considering how many people are interested in MH Tri amongst the Nintendo fanbase, I'd expect it to sell pretty well overseas.

Wouldn't be surprised if it sells better in the US & EU than in Japan.

If it is advertised the right way everyone who is interested in Zelda & Pokemon will want to play it.
I love Zelda, like Pokémon and no way will I buy Monster Hunter 3, to me it's one of the worst game concepts that doesn't involve shooting around. I think you are a bit exaggerating here.

test_account

XP-39C²
poppabk said:
Capcom seem to have been over exuberant with a lot of their expectations up until recently, so MH3 hitting the 66% mark is probably one of the better titles for performance vs expectation.
Ye, that is true. Compared to for example their Bionic Commando expectations, their Monster Hunter 3 expectations seems to have matched closer to how Moster Hunter 3 actually sold. How much has the new Bionic Commando game sold worldwide by now by the way, less than 1 million copies?

markatisu said:
Well I suppose they could up-port the next one to the PS3 to garner additional sales, but the Wii-->PSP route seems to be the most financially sound at least for the next version. Not sure how many more copies you would sell splintering it between the PS3 and Wii though, I do not think its a situation like the Tales series saw where there is a quite large MH fanbase in waiting sitting on the Sony side of things waiting for MH

As has been mentioned though, this last quarter it seemed Capcom took a page out of Namco's book and overestimated some of their franchises which is why we have the downward revisions.

I can almost promise you Capcom did not lose any money solely due to the revenue earned from online (there is an interview somewhere that essentially says that)
Ye, as for development costs, going the Wii/PSP route is probably the best way to go indeed as you say, so who knows if we will ever see a Monster Hunter game for the PS3. I have been wondering how a PS3 Monster Hunter game would sell if it has the possibility to do some good interaction with a PSP Monster Hunter game though :)

I have no idea how sought after a MH3 game is on the PS3. Wasnt MH3 when it was still a PS3 title in Famitsu's Top 20 list over most wanted games, or do i remember wrong? Maybe this Famitsu list isnt too accurate when it comes to how many people in generall that are interested in a game though. By the way, is there any particular reason(s) why you dont think that a large MH fanbase is sitting on the Sony side and are waiting for a MH game? I dont know myself, but i am just wondering if there is any particular reason(s) for why you dont think so :)

Capcom seemed to have overestimated several of their titles indeed. I can see why they expected much from Monster Hunter 3 though, since the Monter Hunter popularity has increased much in the last 1-2 years. This is probably mostly because it is on a handlheld systems (PSP) though, and there were no guarantee that a console Monster Hunter game would we just as popular, but i can see why Capcom first expected MH3 to sell 1.5 million copies in Japan alone. I hope that Capcom isnt too disappointed because that they have overestimated how several of their games would sell.

Capcom made much money on the Monster Hunter 3 online part? That it cool to hear :) I would guess that they had maybe made money just on the Monster Hunter 3 software sales alone, but if they made money from the MH3 online part as well, then that is good to hear in my opinion :)

Nirolak said:
Ah, that is more than i would have guessed. Thanks for the info! :) That website says that there are 7 Lost Planet titles. I can only think of 6 Lost Planet titles; Lost Planet 1 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Lost Planet Colonies Edition for PC and Xbox 360 and one Lost Planet game for cellphones. Which is the last one? Or did Lost Planet Colonies Edition get released for the PS3 as well?

markatisu

test_account said:
Ye, that is true. Compared to for example their Bionic Commando expectations, their Monster Hunter 3 expectations seems to have matched closer to how Moster Hunter 3 actually sold. How much has the new Bionic Commando game sold worldwide by now by the way, less than 1 million copies?

Much Much Much Much less than 1m :lol It might have moved some copies when the price was slashed but I thought the last WW report we saw it was lucky to pass 150k

Ye, as for development costs, going the Wii/PSP route is probably the best way to go indeed as you say, so who knows if we will ever see a Monster Hunter game for the PS3. I have been wondering how a PS3 Monster Hunter game would sell if it has the possibility to do some good interaction with a PSP Monster Hunter game though :)

Yes and I think that would be a good selling point

I have no idea how sought after a MH3 game is on the PS3. Wasnt MH3 when it was still a PS3 title in Famitsu's Top 20 list over most wanted games, or do i remember wrong? Maybe this Famitsu list isnt too accurate when it comes to how many people in generall that are interested in a game though. By the way, is there any particular reason(s) why you dont think that a large MH fanbase is sitting on the Sony side and are waiting for a MH game? I dont know myself, but i am just wondering if there is any particular reason(s) for why you dont think so :)

Because I just don't see it, there is not any one reason but given the fact MHG Wii sold on par with the PS2 editions and MH3 Tri will have an LTD of just over 1m while the portable series stays in the 2-4m range shows me that a console audience for the game regardless of platform is only so big.

I just do not see an additional 300-500k just waiting around with a PS3 thinking "you know if MH came to this system we would really go out and buy it"

I will preface that by saying if a PS3 version ever came and it did have substantial benefits for PSP owners, then that would change how I see things. The PSP owners are the great variable, if they have a reason to adopt the console version then you raise potential sales. For MH3 as it stands now the only real reason to buy it was the fact it was the next version, but it offers nothing in the way of enhancing or benefiting the PSP versions.

Kenka

Spiegel said:
Top Ten is up

1. [PS3] FFXIII
2. [Wii] NSMB Wii
3. [NDS] Tomodachi
4. [NDS] Pokemon
5. [Wii] Wii Fit Plus
6. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2
7. [Wii] Pokemon Wii
8. [NDS] Layton 4
9. [Wii] Wii Sports Resort
10. [PSP] Queens Blade

Inazuma Eleven continues to climb to heaven. Good job Level 5. And impressive legs for Poké Wii.

mujun

"Possibly" useful info. There were quite a lot of 2nd hand copies of FFXIII in some major stores in Osaka that I went to today.

schuelma

slaughterking said:
I'm so looking forward to not getting the Famitsu leak today.

Well, we got the Famitsu top 10 on time, so that's a start! I hope we got numbers from sinobi..

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
Much Much Much Much less than 1m :lol It might have moved some copies when the price was slashed but I thought the last WW report we saw it was lucky to pass 150k
Wow, 150k isnt much, at least compared to when Capcom had an expecations of 2 million. Ye, maybe they have sold more copies since the price was slashed as you say. I bought 3-4 copies of Bionic Commando myself after that the price was slashed (i used one of the copies as a trade in at Gamestop, and i will keep the remaining copies for collection purposes :)).

markatisu said:
I think so too :) I wonder how much it would have affected a PS3 Monster Hunter game sales.

markatisu said:
Because I just don't see it, there is not any one reason but given the fact MHG Wii sold on par with the PS2 editions and MH3 Tri will have an LTD of just over 1m while the portable series stays in the 2-4m range shows me that a console audience for the game regardless of platform is only so big.

I just do not see an additional 300-500k just waiting around with a PS3 thinking "you know if MH came to this system we would really go out and buy it"

I will preface that by saying if a PS3 version ever came and it did have substantial benefits for PSP owners, then that would change how I see things. The PSP owners are the great variable, if they have a reason to adopt the console version then you raise potential sales. For MH3 as it stands now the only real reason to buy it was the fact it was the next version, but it offers nothing in the way of enhancing or benefiting the PSP versions.
Ah, did you mean if Monster Hunter 3 got ported over to the PS3? If yes, i also dont think that a PS3 version of MH3 would sell as much as 300k-500k (unless that there were some pretty good interaction with the PSP Monster Hunter games (or at least with one of the Monster Hunter games on the PSP), i agree. I first thought that you ment that many people on the Sony side wasnt waiting for a new Monster Hunter game, that is why i was wondering why you didnt think that many people on the Sony side didnt want a PS3 Monster Hunter game :) I am sorry if i missunderstood :\

If Monster Hunter 3 gets ported over to the PS3, i then wonder how much that it would sell. If it was pretty much just a straight port with enhanced graphics and if it didnt benefit the PSP Monster Hunter games (or one of the Monster Hunter PSP games at least), then i dont think that it would have sold very well, like for example 300k-500k as you said, i agree. I guess that a PS3 port of MH3 would need some pretty good PSP interaction if it should have a good chance to sell like 300k-500k. I dont think that we will ever see a Monster Hunter 3 PS3 port though, but i think that it would be interesting to see how much it would have sold if a port with good PSP interaction were made at least :)

EDIT: I see now that i wrote "I have no idea how sought after a MH3 game is on the PS3" in my previous post. I ment to write "a MH game" and not "a MH3 game", since that would probably be a port. I was thinking about a brand new Monster Hunter game :) I am sorry about this mistake :\

gogogow

markatisu said:
Erm...uh...yeah....no.
It sold 550k WW as of July 2009. Check Capcom's first quarter (April - July) earnings statement.

RE5 - 600k (5m LTD WW)
MHFU - 600k - (incl. Japan) underperformed
BC - 550k - underperformed

schuelma

gogogow said:
Erm...uh...yeah....no.
It sold 550k WW as of July 2009. Check Capcom's first quarter (April - July) earnings statement.

RE5 - 600k (5m LTD WW)
MHFU - 600k - (incl. Japan) underperformed
BC - 550k - underperformed

Those are shipment reports I think. I don't think it sold anywhere close to 550K.

schuelma said:
Those are shipment reports I think. I don't think it sold anywhere close to 550K.
Definitely shipped to store. Sell-through is probably optimistically around 120k. Optimistically.

Still, the 550k represents what Capcom walks away from the deal with. Along with a dead-beyond-all-hope-of-revival IP from the archives.

gogogow

schuelma said:
Then you should provide a link where it mentions how much it actually sold.
Because I can't find another source other than the CAPCOM statement where it said how much copies it sold. Markatisu was talking about a report and I want to see that report.

schuelma

gogogow said:
Then you should provide a link where it mentions how much it actually sold.
Because I can't find another source other than the CAPCOM statement where it said how much copies it sold. Cause i'm just going by the earning reports.

It sold 26K in the U.S its first month. How much do you think its sold?

Jaruru

Spiegel said:
Top Ten is up

1. [PS3] FFXIII (Square Enix)
2. [Wii] NSMB Wii (Nintendo)
3. [NDS] Tomodachi (Nintendo)
4. [NDS] Pokemon (Pokemon)
5. [Wii] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
6. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 (Level 5)
7. [Wii] Pokemon Wii (Pokemon)
8. [NDS] Layton 4 (Level 5)
9. [Wii] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
10. [PSP] Queens Blade (Namco Bandai)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1230762_1796.html

good job lvl 5 for Layton & Inazuma, along with the NSMB Wii.
how long will FFXIII stay on the top?

gogogow

schuelma said:
I don't know, you tell me, that's why I ask for a link. I'm not saying the game sold 550k, but like I said, i'm just going by the Capcom earning reports. There must be a source where you guys got the 120k-150k from, right?

schuelma

gogogow said:
I don't know, you tell me, that's why I ask for a link. I'm not saying the game sold 550k, but like I said, i'm just going by the Capcom earning reports. There must be a source where you guys got the 120k-150k from, right?

I have no clue where he got that number from. I'm just using some common sense. If a game on the HD twins sells about 25K in its first month in its biggest market, that odds are pretty good it hasn't gotten close to selling out the shipment.

Spiegel said:
Top Ten is up

10. [PSP] Queens Blade (Namco Bandai)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1230762_1796.html

I've been playing this game all day, it's really fun. I was shocked when I went to four separate stores across Nakano and Shinjuku and couldn't find it anywhere. Wound up finding a copy at a local mom and pop store. This title may have legs.

Was also surprised to find Darius Gaiden sold out at 3 different stores I went to today, 1 day before official release! :lol Kind of doubt it would be a huge hit, but it might make a mark on the top 10.

gogogow said:
Much like how you're not allowed to watch Bill Gates punch in his PIN, there are some reports that can't be shared. You can get the JP numbers by checking Media Create/Famitsu archives, the US first month numbers you can check in the appropriate NPD thread, and the rest, well, you're just going to have to have faith that I don't have a vested interest in making Bionic Commando look bad. I actually enjoyed the game.

To be perfectly transparent, I'm estimating Euro numbers. I'm pretty confident about the range I'm pegging for it, though.

Kittonwy

Banned
schuelma said:

26K combined? WTF? That's a complete disaster.

They need to get the ads out for Dark Void because as things stand it's going to get completely buried, not sure why Airtight signed on with Capcom rather than signing up with EA partners or even having Ed Fries using his MS connections to try to get his old employer to publish it. I understand Capcom had perfect timing for Dead Rising and Lost Planet early this generation but it seems like a one-time thing, everybody seems to think they are brilliant in terms of their understanding of the market but basically they're still the same Capcom relying mainly on RE and MH.

gogogow

schuelma said:
I have no clue where he got that number from. I'm just using some common sense. If a game on the HD twins sells about 25K in its first month in its biggest market, that odds are pretty good it hasn't gotten close to selling out the shipment.
Well yeah, if you are only looking at the US and first month. No one said anything about selling out the shipment. We just want to know how much it sold.
And it charted pretty high on the UK charts after one day of sales, no.5 X360 and no.9 PS3.
Chart track week ending 23 may, game released on 22 may. The full price game was in the charts for 6 weeks 360 and 5 weeks for the PS3. When the game was in the bargain bins it entered the charts again for another 6 weeks. And this is UK only.
Good or bad, some games just sells better in Europe than the US by a large margin, like GT and MGS off the top of my head.

Segata Sanshiro said:
To be perfectly transparent, I'm estimating Euro numbers. I'm pretty confident about the range I'm pegging for it, though.
Fair enough.

Brofist

Jaruru said:
good job lvl 5 for Layton & Inazuma, along with the NSMB Wii.
how long will FFXIII stay on the top?
Layton is hanging in there because of the movie hype. They are really marketing the hell out of the game and movie. I almost want to go see the movie I've seen the commercial so many times.

jesusraz

So it's roughly:

1. [PS3] FFXIII (Square Enix) ~1.5 mil
2. [Wii] NSMB Wii (Nintendo) ~530,000 | ~1.9 mil total

...from the MC report released the other day.

test_account

XP-39C²
jesusraz said:
So it's roughly:

1. [PS3] FFXIII (Square Enix) ~1.5 mil
2. [Wii] NSMB Wii (Nintendo) ~530,000 | ~1.9 mil total

...from the MC report released the other day.
Which Media Create report is this?

I saw that Chris1964 mentioned >500k for New Super Mario Bros Wii previously, but i forgot to ask if that was prediction or a early MC leak.

Kittonwy

Banned
markatisu said:

You guys really don't see at least another 300k for MH3 if they release it on the PS3 in Japan? It is MH, would people rebuy MH games on multiple platforms like they do RE games?

Personally I don't think an up-port would be worth it for Capcom unless they just do a straight port and they manage to crank out another 300k, if they do a proper PS3 port it would cost them too much money.

I think it

Top Bottom