• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:
What nonsense are you sprouting? FF3 was originally a WSC game. They planned remakes of FF1-3 for the WSC, and had screens of all of them. After FF1-2 sorta underperformed and the entire WSC launch kinda fizzled, they canned development on that remake, and went straight to DS. It was originally going to be produced by Kawazu on the DS, it was announced, and he was being all vague about it. Then we heard nothing for a long time before they reannounced it as a full 3D remake directed by Tanaka instead.

No Nintendo, no PS2, stop talking out of your anus. It smells.

Why so angry ?
Producer Hiromichi Tanaka told CVG, "Originally we were planning to release the game on PlayStation 2 but Nintendo wanted us to release it on this new platform." Would you rather have it on PS2 or do you think it best suits DS?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163225

Even if it wasnt true and i remembered it wrong, there is no need to get so upset about it....people make mistakes, get used to it :D

AniHawk

It would probably take forever to compile all the posts necessary for one giant FFXIII and NSMBW crow eating thread. I know you'd probably see me in some for the former, from a couple years ago. NSMBW would probably be easier to find.

[Nintex] said:
And that was true 3 months ago, because all we had of NSMBWii were a bunch of E3 trailers. As soon as the game launched everyone found out that it was more than just NSMB DS upscaled.

Actually that was obvious since it was revealed at E3.

In one MC thread (Sep 28 - Oct 4, where I made my 3.6m LTD prediction, now it seems it was low), I'd say it was split in half between NSMBWii believers and doubters. Of course the predictions the week before was a different story when it was clear it was going to sell on par with the DS version.

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
Why so angry ?

Even if it wasnt true and i remembered it wrong, there is no need to get so upset about it....people make mistakes, get used to it :D

I'm an angry man. Get used to it.

In the same interview!

What plans do you have for Final Fantasy and Wii? Surly using the Remote is the perfect way to cast spells and summons?

Tanaka: That's exactly what we're trying to do with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on Wii.

:lol :lol :lol

Great job Tanaka on fulfilling your objective, I heard it was a masterpiece so congratulations sir.

Speaking of expectations of NSMBWii, I was also skeptical about it's sales. I thought it would reach 3m and call it a day, but based on the numbers we got, 4m plus will happen.

duckroll

LINK.AGE76 said:
Great job Tanaka on fulfilling your objective, I heard it was a masterpiece so congratulations sir.

No, the funny part is that Tanaka never had anything to do with FFCC Wii. Obviously he was asked a dumb question, and he gave a generic answer. I bet no one knows what Kawazu actually works on in S-E until it's ready to ship. It's a big surprise to everyone, even his boss Wada! :D

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
This is not directed at you specifically, I have said this before but in what way does selling 1.5m of any game in 1 week quality as dissapointing (rare circumstances aside)?
Did you quote the correct person? I just wanted to ask since i havnt said that it was disappointing that a game that sells about 1.5 million copies in 1 week is disappointing :) I was just asking another guy who said it was pretty disappointing that FFXIII sold about 1.5 million copies including the PS3 hardware bundles. But after reading again what he said, maybe he ment more that it was disappointing that FFXIII had the lowest first week debute in about 15 years when it comes to main Final Fantasy games.

Or are you asking me because that i mentioned "a PS3 game" specifically and not "any game"?

markatisu said:
I have always found that logic flawed though, the Wii does have a massive lead over the PS3 in install base, so what though. MH as a big selling title was built on the back of the PSP. We all know that a large part of the reason MH3 was moved to Wii was development cost and ease of porting to the PSP where the franchise was built, the size of the userbase only made those 2 reasons more attractive to the potential of the title.
In general, a bigger installbase means that more people own the gaming system, which might leads to more potential customers to buy a game. But of course, the installbase doesnt necessarily means that every game will sell great. There are DS and PS2 games that sells maybe 10K copies in total eventhough that both the DS and the PS2 has an installbase of over 20 million units each, while other system that might have a installbase of 3 million might have games that sells 100K copies. It totally depends on which games that are being sold and how much interest people have in these games. But if a lot more people own a gaming system, then there are more potential customers, in theory at least :)

But what i ment to say was that maybe some people expected/hoped that MH3 would sell more than it did because it was released on a really popular console, while with FFXIII, maybe people expected lower sales because it was on a less popular console. So maybe more people were surprised over the FFXIII sales because they had lower expectations, while they had higher expectations for the MH3 sales? But i dont know, i am just wondering :)

I also wonder if some people were a bit disappointed with the MH3 sales because it took relatively long to sell out the first shipment. If it also takes a relatively long time for FFXIII to sell out the first shipment, then maybe some people will say that FFXIII sales are disappointing as well.

cw_sasuke

duckroll said:
In the same interview!

:lol :lol :lol

It does make me sad though... :-/

duckroll said:
No, the funny part is that Tanaka never had anything to do with FFCC Wii. Obviously he was asked a dumb question, and he gave a generic answer. I bet no one knows what Kawazu actually works on in S-E until it's ready to ship. It's a big surprise to everyone, even his boss Wada! :D
:lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This is something amazing I just realized

3rd biggest week so far:
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) >500.000 (Media Create)
[NGB] Pokémon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 453.500 (Famitsu)

4th biggest week so far:
[GBA] Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire (Pokemon Co.) - 336.847 (Famitsu)

Who is with me that Mario will take the crown and for the 4th biggest week?

onken

Chris1964 said:

3rd biggest week so far:

4th biggest week so far:

That's pretty much dead set, and probably the 5th and 6th at this rate.

Chris1964 said:

3rd biggest week so far:

4th biggest week so far:

Not just take it down, it will kill it.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
onken said:
That's pretty much dead set, and probably the 5th and 6th at this rate.
5th and 6th and 7th biggest weeks ever aren't so simple because they are weeks 51, 52 and 1 for Gold / Silver

5th biggest week
[NGB] Pokémon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 436.828

6th biggest week
[NGB] Pokémon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 573.247

7th biggest week
[NGB] Pokémon Gold / Silver (Nintendo) - 477.507

jesusraz

So, perhaps my random suggestion of NSMB Wii hitting 3 million before the end of the year, or first week of 2010 was not so far-fetched after all.

duckroll said:
What nonsense are you sprouting? FF3 was originally a WSC game. They planned remakes of FF1-3 for the WSC, and had screens of all of them. After FF1-2 sorta underperformed and the entire WSC launch kinda fizzled, they canned development on that remake, and went straight to DS. It was originally going to be produced by Kawazu on the DS, it was announced, and he was being all vague about it. Then we heard nothing for a long time before they reannounced it as a full 3D remake directed by Tanaka instead.

No Nintendo, no PS2, stop talking out of your anus. It smells.
The DS game was first shown off as having 2D graphics as well, pretty much akin to the GBA FF remakes. Then, as you said, it dropped off the radar and popped back up in chunky 3D.

duckroll

I'm actually pretty upset that they canned the original FF3 for WSC. I have both FF1 and FF2 on the WSC, and my WSC is the limited edition FF1 White WSC. It just feels annoying to know that the collection to not quite complete because it was announced as a set of 3 remakes. :(

Vinnk

duckroll said:
I'm actually pretty upset that they canned the original FF3 for WSC. I have both FF1 and FF2 on the WSC, and my WSC is the limited edition FF1 White WSC. It just feels annoying to know that the collection to not quite complete because it was announced as a set of 3 remakes. :(

It's also weird that they DID release FFIV for WS...

duckroll

Vinnk said:
It's also weird that they DID release FFIV for WS...

Not that weird. It was pretty much a port. FF1 and FF2 were very substantial 2D remakes, and FF3 looked the same way. It was obvious that Square was just bailing out of the WSC by then, and just made one last cheap release on the platform. Still, very sad. I liked the screens of the 2D FF3 they showed. :(

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
This is why I feel like that Wii gets shafted in these threads. What was MH3 "supposed" to do? It's going to pretty much sell out its first shipment but people on GAF create their own goalposts for what should be considered a success and if it doesn't live up to those sometimes wild expectations then its a bomba.
I am not sure what people expected MH3 to sell. Maybe some people thought that the MH3 sales were a bit disappointing because it took relatively long before MH3 sold out it's first shipment and that some store chain did a price drop rather quickly (although the increased the price again later on if i remember correctly)? But unfortunately i dont know. I think that MH3 has sold good at least :)

Xeke said:
Alternatively it seems PS3 games get a pass when they sell well, even if its less than their previous installments because people for some reason expect them to sell less and the goal post isn't as far.
Ye, i think this is the reason indeed. Since the PS3 is a "2nd choice console" (or what i shall call it, Wii is the 1st choice console because it has sold the most) maybe some people dont expect PS3 software sales to be just as good as their previous installments. I think that it is a bit fair to expect lower software sales on a PS3 because of this, but how much lower software sales that is "accepted" (or what i shall say) is a good question i think :)

Xeke said:
Had FXIII been on the Wii this launch would probably have been construed to be a failure. We'd be seeing things like...

"Well the Wii has a large install base than the PS2 did at the launch of FFX and only managed 1.5M, bomba!"
Yeah, i also think that we might have seen some comments like this indeed if FFXIII was on the Wii and if it sold 1.5 million copies.

Xeke said:
Even though the PS3 has roughly the same install base if not more?
Yep, the PS2 and the PS3 install base were roughly the same indeed. When FFX was released, the PS2 install base was at 4,574,562. When FFXIII was released, the PS3 install base was at 4,265,969. That is a difference of 308,593 consoles.

Some interesting stuff i think, FFX sold 233,205 more copies than FFXIII in the first week, and the PS2 install base were 308,593 consoles bigger than the PS3 install base. The number of more copies of FFX sold and the number of more PS2 consoles isnt really that far away from each other, at least in my opinion :)

All these numbers that i just mentioned are Famitsu numbers.

Xeke said:
And why do people continue to discount first party sales for the Wii? It is by far the largest segment of sales. We're always comparing third party sales but why not ever first party sales? Why doesn't Sony get ripped on as much for their hideous first party sales as Nintendo does for third party sales?

Are third party sales a holy grail or something?
I think that this is a good question. The only thing that i can think of is that in general there are much more 3rd party games compared to first party games, so that it is important that 3rd party sales also are good. But i think that the most important thing is that a company (generally speaking, this isnt aimed specifically to Nintendo) is able to survive and make money, no matter if they make most of their money from first party sales or from third party sales (or making money of both first party sales and third party sales) :)

I dont know who is getting more ripped on between Sony's first party PS3 games (or do you mean PSP games as well?) and Wii's 3rd party sales in Japan, but i do remember that there were some comments when Minna no Golf 5 didnt sold as well as the previous Minna no Golf games, and i also remember that there were some comments when Gran Turismo 5: Prologue didnt sell as well as Gran Turismo 4: Prologue did.

By the way, has Sony released many first party PS3 games in Japan that hasnt met people's sales expectations? If they havnt, maybe this is why we see less people ripping on Sony's first party PS3 games sales? While on the Wii, there are more 3rd party games released compared to how many first party PS3 games Sony has released in Japan. Therefor the opportunity to rip on Wii 3rd party sales is bigger because there are more 3rd party Wii games being released compared to first party PS3 games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Who says I can’t get stoned?
Turn off the lights and the telephone
Me and my thread alone

Who says I can’t be free?
From all of the things that I used to be
Re-write my (post) history
Who says I can’t be free?

It’s been a long night in N P D
It’s been a long night in Media Create
I don’t remember you looking any better
Then again I don’t remember you

Call up a thread that I used to know
Fake troll for an hour or so

Who says I can’t take time?
Post all the trolls that are on my mind
Wait on the mods to send a sign
Who says I can’t take time?

Plan a trip to Japan alone
Doesn’t matter if I even go

It’s been a long night in Media Create
It’s been a long time since I posted seriously
I don’t remember you looking any better
Then again I don’t remember you.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, I was probably more optimistic than most with NSMB Wii, but I didn't expect this. What will be interesting is hardware going forward.

I thought it could probably reach 3M or so LTD..at this rate it might hit 5 without much problem.

onken

schuelma said:
Wow, I was probably more optimistic than most with NSMB Wii, but I didn't expect this. What will be interesting is hardware going forward.

I thought it could probably reach 3M or so LTD..at this right it might hit 5 without much problem.

Yeah it's a real juggernaut.

Stumpokapow said:

You have too much time on your hands.

gkryhewy

And even with these massive sales, Nintendo's still leaving sales on the table worldwide. Still not consistently in stock in the US -- Amazon sold out (again) of their 12/25 batch, and Gamestop is sold out online.

schuelma

I just realized it was actually lower in MC this week so NSMB Wii actually went up 100K in that tracker- a similar jump in Famitsu would give it almost 1.97K total.

zigg

Bel Marduk said:
Monolith said they were ready to make a new BK last year granted Nintendo gave them the go ahead. NINTENDO DON'T LET US DOWN! D:

I'm well aware that I'm replying to an ancient-by-Internet-standards post here, but Monolith says they want to make BK3 every time someone asks them about it. In the past, it was if Namco gave them the go-ahead... only the go-aheader has changed :lol

It's best just to accept that it's never coming. This is coming from a guy who would snatch it up day one.

cw_sasuke

gkrykewy said:
And even with these massive sales, Nintendo's still leaving sales on the table worldwide. Still not consistently in stock in the US -- Amazon sold out (again) of their 12/25 batch, and Gamestop is sold out online.
Red cases are difficult to manufacture...

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
I don't think there were many MC regulars who doubted NSMBW. But the game has really exceeded even the more optimistic predictions.

I think there was a decent amount of skepticism at least a few months ago- I think I remember ethelred doubting it and ducky didn't seem absolutely convinced it would do significantly better than Galaxy. Of course, as you said everyone has gotten it wrong to some extent since I don't think anyone saw this coming.

cw_sasuke

Souldriver said:
And last I've heard there is a severe shortage of red, so don't expect it to be worked out soon.

Its like the blue laser diode shortage back in 07...

kswiston

schuelma said:

I thought it could probably reach 3M or so LTD..at this rate it might hit 5 without much problem.

Yeah, I was about as wrong as could be for NSMBwii this week. I think I was off by like 240k in my predictions.

I still think that 5M will be tough. At some point, the Wii's fairly low install base will limit sales. 4M seems like a good bet though. The game will be at 2.5-2.75M by the end of the holidays. Sales will plummet afterwards, but if it continues to sell strongly, it could hit 4M by the end of 2010.

schuelma

Frillen said:
In one way it hurts to see how much NSMBW sells, at least compared to Galaxy :(

Galaxy will eventually hit a million (heck it might do it by the end of the year), and right now would be the 2nd best selling console game if you leave out Wii software. It did ok.

schuelma

kswiston said:
I still think that 5M will be tough. At some point, the Wii's fairly low install base will limit sales. 4M seems like a good bet though. The game will be at 2.5-2.75M by the end of the holidays. Sales will plummet afterwards, but if it continues to sell strongly, it could hit 4M by the end of 2010.

I don't know man, I mean if supply is there it could be at 2.8-2.9 million after 5 weeks.

Now compare that 5 week number to the 2 most relevant games (IMO)

NSMB DS after 5 weeks- 1.797M

Mario Kart Wii after 5 weeks- 1.249M

So even if we just give it Mario Kart's legs it probably reaches 5 million.

kswiston

schuelma said:
Galaxy will eventually hit a million (heck it might do it by the end of the year), and right now would be the 2nd best selling console game if you leave out Wii software. It did ok.

I still wonder how much Nintendo will bother with 3D marios in the future (excluding the in production SMG2), after seeing the demand for 2D mario on handhelds and home consoles. Galaxy did really well worldwide. 8M shipped last I checked. However, looking at the game, it has to be one of the more expensive titles that Nintendo has developed. NSMB Wii was undoubtedly much cheaper to make, and will sell 2-3 times as many copies worldwide.

kswiston

schuelma said:
I don't know man, I mean if supply is there it could be at 2.8-2.9 million after 5 weeks.

Now compare that 5 week number to the 2 most relevant games (IMO)

NSMB DS after 5 weeks- 1.797M

Mario Kart Wii after 5 weeks- 1.249M

So even if we just give it Mario Kart's legs it probably reaches 5 million.

We will need to see how the game performs in Jan/Feb. It's pretty hard to extrapolate the sales of a game that was released during the holiday season using the sales of games released in the spring.

EDIT: I would be happy if I am wrong. NSMB Wii was a lot of fun. I just have a hard time believing that a game could have a final attach rate of over 35% (assuming that the Wii ends up somewhere south of 15M LTD). Not even Monster Hunter 2G sold to its base that well.

schuelma

kswiston said:
We will need to see how the game performs in Jan/Feb. It's pretty hard to extrapolate the sales of a game that was released during the holiday season using the sales of games released in the spring.

True, but I can't imagine it having substantially worse legs than Mario Kart Wii. Sales actually going up in the third week for a title that started as big as NSMB Wii did is amazing even if it is during the holiday season.

kswiston

New question:

What game has the highest system attach rate of all time in Japan? Let's disregard all the systems that ended under 6-7M LTD, as it is much easier to achieve a good attach rate on a system with low sales.

If NSMB Wii does end up hitting 5M, would it take that record?

kswiston said:
New question:

What game has the highest system attach rate of all time in Japan? Let's disregard all the systems that ended under 6-7M LTD, as it is much easier to achieve a good attach rate on a system with low sales.

Probably still a gameboy pokemon game. The gameboy install base was big, but pokemon red/green/blue is massive.

Edit: a rough estimate gives Pokemon red/blue/green an attach ratio of about 33%, if I'm not mistaken.

Pokemon LTD: >10 million
Gameboy LTD: >30 million

schuelma

kswiston said:
New question:

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but just looking at the Wii, there have been games that at one time or another had a higher attach rate than 35%.

Wii Sports had a close to 50% attach rate for a long time

Wii Fit had a 35-38% attach rate in mid-2008 and was around 35% or so before Wii Fit Plus.

kswiston

schuelma said:
This isn't a direct answer to your question, but just looking at the Wii, there have been games that at one time or another had a higher attach rate than 35%.

Wii Sports had a close to 50% attach rate for a long time

Wii Fit had a 35-38% attach rate in mid-2008 and was around 35% or so before Wii Fit Plus.

Ya, I wanted to go with final LTD, because launch titles, and early titles always have an advantage on attach rates. In the US, Twilight Princess was over 80% in November 2006.

What was the GBA's LTD? Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire must be up there. The original Super Mario Bros would be up there as well.

Road

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire reached 4 million when GBA was at 8.1 million. Almost 50% at the time. They finished at 5.3 million and 15.5 million, or 34%, though.

nvm I read too fast.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Thanks to Capcom's new revised forecast we know they expected Monster Hunter Tri to sell 1,5 million in Japan.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/e20091222.pdf

Page 7 - MH3 *overseas (500k)

Ahh the mystery is solved. I'm struggling for the exact wording since I still think a 1.1M shipment and >1m LTD is a relative success, but I think its safe to say its a minor(?) letdown for Capcom.

schuelma

Road said:
Dark Void forecast revision history:

2 million -> 1.3 million -> 600k.

Capcom USA's initiatives are really working out well.

Top Bottom