• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

VerTiGo said:
Hopefully Monado won't go the way of Takt of Magic and not being released over here. Messed up part is that Takt of Magic got great critical reception too. I don't mind not having another Baiten Katos. A new epic original from Monolith sounds like great stuff.

I'm not completely sure of this, but I think Monado has a much larger scope and budget than Tact did, so I'd have to imagine that they are going to localize it to make back costs. It also has more selling potential in Japan if marketed well. Unfortunately we haven't seen any sort of marketing effort yet, but with a nice marketing push it could sneak in and be a solid H1 2010 title to supplement SMG2 or other Nintendo offerings.

sphinx

the piano man
AniHawk said:
Nintendo greenlit the sequels to Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Golden Sun, and Sin & Punishment. I wouldn't have guessed any of them would ever see another entry (although GS was the most obvious choice).

None of those are last gen series. Those are either revivals or Follow-up to games that appeared this generation.

I am yet to see a sequel to a series that appeared on Gamecube:

Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Baten Kaitos, Eternal Darkness.

Maybe Symphonia 2..

kswiston

Nirolak said:
Okay, fair enough. However, due to the other two points, I still think it will have a lot of trouble outselling previous Final Fantasy iterations. I can see your argument that it might ultimately edge out FFXII, especially since that launched so late in the generation, but I still wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

I think you underestimate the continued strength of the Final Fantasy brand. Final Fantasy XII sold almost 900k in November 2006, despite Gears of War, Twilight Princess, the Wii, and the PS3 all dropping in the same month. Final Fantasy is one of the only brands that US gamers actually buy on the PSP. People still like the franchise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kswiston said:
I think you underestimate the continued strength of the Final Fantasy brand. Final Fantasy XII sold almost 900k in November 2006, despite Gears of War, Twilight Princess, the Wii, and the PS3 all dropping in the same month. Final Fantasy is one of the only brands that US gamers actually buy on the PSP. People still like the franchise.
Actually, the game could be quite successful, but still undersell FFVII-FFXII (excluding FFXI).

For example, look at the sales in this thread. FFXIII opened worse than the previous entries, but still sold quite well as a whole.

I'm not saying the game will do badly by any means. I just feel that its relevance has still shrunk from the previous entry.

Nirolak said:
Okay, fair enough. However, due to the other two points, I still think it will have a lot of trouble outselling previous Final Fantasy iterations. I can see your argument that it might ultimately edge out FFXII, especially since that launched so late in the generation, but I still wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

Oh sure. I don't think we materially disagree on the matter in that case. :lol

VerTiGo said:
Hopefully Monado won't go the way of Takt of Magic and not being released over here. Messed up part is that Takt of Magic got great critical reception too. I don't mind not having another Baiten Katos. A new epic original from Monolith sounds like great stuff.

I think Monado will come over. The game is on the Nintendo NA release list. It also has an Amazon listing and I heard it has 1b trademark so I think we'll finally be getting a Monolith Soft game.

Also, I believe the Soma Bringer team is working on Monado. The BK team is working on the next SRW OG Saga game for DS that releases in February. I doubt that's gonna occupy the entire BK team though, so who knows! Like Anihawk said they greenlit a bunch of smaller games so I don't see why they can't do the same for BK when Monolith said they were ready. I'm hopeful :D

Btw, on another note, anybody remember that "The Last Story" trademark Nintendo has? Anybody wonder what that could be?

Edit: On Pikmin they already said it was in development.

Bel Marduk said:
I think Monado will come over. The game is on the Nintendo NA release list. It also has an Amazon listing and I heard it has 1b trademark so I think we'll finally be getting a Monolith Soft game.

Also, I believe the Soma Bringer team is working on Monado. The BK team is working on the next SRW OG Saga game for DS that releases in February. I doubt that's gonna occupy the entire BK team though, so who knows! Like Anihawk said they greenlit a bunch of smaller games so I don't see why they can't do the same for BK when Monolith said they were ready. I'm hopeful :D

Btw, on another note, anybody remember that "The Last Story" trademark Nintendo has? Anybody wonder what that could be?

Edit: On Pikmin they already said it was in development.

I can't wait to see more on Monado. The trailer from E3 seemed really early.

Grampasso

markatisu said:
Supposedly Iwata has implied Nintendo is going to burden a lot when it comes to making DQ and MH successful in the West.

What that means is anyone's guess since we still do not have a firm release date on MH3 or DQIX (I think).
DQIX rightly market in the west = DQX for Wii confirmed?
I never thought of this, but doesn't it sound reasonable? It wouldn't be the first time SE makes important decisions based on how the HW manufacturer handles their console sales, didn't the announcements of FFIII and FFIV remakes for DS came out right after the sudden success of Nintendogs? Or was it just a coincidence?

Xeke

Banned
Yeah lets now rip on Nintendo for not releasing the games we want! Wooooo!

So Nintendo can announce a game 5 months before launch and outsell the largest PS3 game ever with no trouble huh.

VegaShinra

Chris1964 said:
As of last week it was (Media Create):
NSMBW LTD:1.365.937
This week: ~530k
Wow. It has the potential of selling 2.5 million by the end of the year. It's a shame Galaxy didn't hit a million in Japan. Or did it finally reach it?

cvxfreak

Now that's what we call momentum. Totally unsurprising since the game just keeps selling and selling and selling every time I go into the game shops.

obaidr

Banned
Xeke said:
Yeah lets now rip on Nintendo for not releasing the games we want! Wooooo!

So Nintendo can announce a game 5 months before launch and outsell the largest PS3 game ever with no trouble huh.

yes amazing, considering all the great titels to come in q1.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cygnus X-1 said:
Mario's momentum is increasing. I wonder if Wii's sales will be bigger then last week.
After so many comparisons I have dove for 2007, 2008 and 2009 Wii hardware you still wonder if it will sell more than last week? This is the biggest week of the year.

Kenka

Cygnus X-1 said:
Mario's momentum is increasing. I wonder if Wii's sales will be bigger then last week.

Good remark.

Now, chances are here that that Wii finishes the week at the same heigth as PS3.

Cygnus X-1

Chris1964 said:
After so many comparisons I have dove for 2007, 2008 and 2009 Wii hardware you still wonder if it will sell more than last week? This is the biggest week of the year.

You know, I just find it not so straightforward to think that Wii ~ PS3 in the same week in which FFXIII has been released.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cygnus X-1 said:
You know, I just find it not so straightforward to think that Wii ~ PS3 in the same week in which FFXIII has been released.
That's not what you originally said.
Wii goes up =/= Wii>PS3

Grampasso

Chris1964 said:
As of last week it was (Media Create):
NSMBW LTD:1.365.937
This week: ~530k
WTF? It actually increased from past week. That means it will probably be 600k or more next week? o_O Ok, now I think it will definitely pass the 4 milions in Japan, maybe reach 5

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
they are selling NSMB Wii for +7000 Yen @amazon...how is the stock situation in japan ?

Road

bttb said:
Media Create PR:
http://www.value-press.com/pressrelease.php?article_id=50496

FF13 FW = 1,501,964
PS3 HW = 237,086 / 4,276,480
NSMB Wii LTD = ~1.9M
Thanks, bttb.

So NSMB did go up. lol Absurd.

Wonder if it'll keep above 400k for the next two weeks (unrelated, but its sales are reminding me of Susan Boyle in the US haha). It'll be really close to 3 million after the New Year at this pace.

NSMBDS took 16 weeks to reach 3 million. This one could reach that in 6 or 7 (or 5?).

Onesimos

VegaShinra said:
Wow. It has the potential of selling 2.5 million by the end of the year. It's a shame Galaxy didn't hit a million in Japan. Or did it finally reach it?

Unfortunately, it has not. Since Galaxy has already fallen off the Top 30 best-selling list more than a year ago, we do not know how it sales week-by-week. It is in a similar situation as Monster Hunter 3 which has yet to sell a million copies in Japan.

Since New Super Mario Bros. Wii is approaching two million copies sold in Japan, where is it now compared to previous Super Mario games? It has already passed Super Mario 64.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Onesimos said:
Unfortunately, it has not. Since Galaxy has already fallen off the Top 30 best-selling list more than a year ago, we do not know how it sales week-by-week. It is in a similar situation as Monster Hunter 3 which has yet to sell a million copies in Japan.[/B].
Both Galaxy and Monster Hunter 3 will reach 1 million sales. I had posted a detailed analysis about Galaxy sales a few weeks ago.

DR2K

Banned
Do Nintendo games get discounted in Japan after not selling for awhile?(for example is Galaxy still selling around the price it originally released). Nintendo keeps the MSRP on their software pretty strict here, Zelda still 49.99 msrp and it's a launch title.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DR2K said:
Do Nintendo games get discounted in Japan after not selling for awhile?(for example is Galaxy still selling around the price it originally released). Nintendo keeps the MSRP on their software pretty strict here, Zelda still 49.99 msrp and it's a launch title.
Some of them do. City Folk for example. Galaxy had a price drop from some retailers the first days of its release, thing that got Nintendo very angry with the specific retailers.

Epic fail on my part *jumps off a cliff* :p

We'll see some old games get some pumps hopefully. I'm really interesting in how much NSMBds will do.

onken

Xeke said:
Ragged may not have been the right word. But people, for the past few years have definitely complained of Nintendo not giving third parties space and crowding releases and if you're willing to deny than you're being revisionist.

Not giving 3rd parties space, with 3-4 releases a year? You're joking, right? I'm sure some nuts must have complained about that somewhere, but certainly not in these threads and certainly not enough to warrant calling "teh bias!!" card.

Xeke said:
I love that even MC regulars doubted NSMBW:lol

Uh, the vast majority thought it was going to be a huge hit, don't let that stop you leaping to Nintendo's defense, though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
onken said:
Uh, the vast majority thought it was going to be a huge hit, don't let that stop you leaping to Nintendo's defense, though.

Hilarious that you say that - 3 months ago:

onken said:
The big "legatons" (I've just patented this word FYI) on Wii are Wii Fit and Wii Sports (and to an extent Mario Kart), games that are made of small components that can be returned to at will. NSMB is a linear adventure made up of traditional stages. For this simple reason, I think we're going to it trend a lot closer to SMG or TP. I really can't see anything to justify these 2m+ estimates going round at the moment other than a highly tenuous link to a DS game.

onken

marc^o^ said:

What's your point? I've never disguised the the fact that I personally thought it would perform like a 3D Mario games on consoles, and that doesn't change the fact that most people thought it would be a big legaton.

cw_sasuke

Grampasso said:
DQIX rightly market in the west = DQX for Wii confirmed?
I never thought of this, but doesn't it sound reasonable? It wouldn't be the first time SE makes important decisions based on how the HW manufacturer handles their console sales, didn't the announcements of FFIII and FFIV remakes for DS came out right after the sudden success of Nintendogs? Or was it just a coincidence?

FF 3 at one point was planned as a ps2 game but nintendo convinced them to put it on DS instead, it worked out very well - game sold a million copies and established the DS as the rpg system of this gen...

If DS Next at the end of 2010 is true ( japan ) i could see many big publishers to jump as soon as possible on that bandwagon and put their strongest ip on it (ff v remake, dq monsters, tales of, inazuma etc. )

[Nintex]

marc^o^ said:
And that was true 3 months ago, because all we had of NSMBWii were a bunch of E3 trailers. As soon as the game launched everyone found out that it was more than just NSMB DS upscaled.

LINK.AGE76 said:
I have a feeling the Wii will outsell the PS3, at least be over 200k.

Media Create Sales

Code:
 Wii hardware sales

Week         2007          2008            2009

49          115,057       56,702          106,555

50          170,558       91,641          135,898

51          232,907       131,054            ?

PS3 would have outsold prime Wii...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm trying to find what NSMBW will sell in the next two weeks. So far it is (Media Create):

2009 week 49: 934.739
2009 week 50: 431.198
2009 week 51: >500.000
2009 week 52: -
2010 week 01: -

Usually it goes week 51>01>52 but like last year famitsu 2009 ends very early (27/12/09)and weeks 52 and 01 will be comparable in sales. If Nintendo has the supply 800k are a possibility.
And from what it looks it will take the third place from Friend Collection this year.

cw_sasuke

I wonder how Friend Colection will sell next two week, i wouldnt be suprised at +400K sales.....

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
FF 3 at one point was planned as a ps2 game but nintendo convinced them to put it on DS instead, it worked out very well - game sold a million copies and established the DS as the rpg system of this gen...

What nonsense are you sprouting? FF3 was originally a WSC game. They planned remakes of FF1-3 for the WSC, and had screens of all of them. After FF1-2 sorta underperformed and the entire WSC launch kinda fizzled, they canned development on that remake, and went straight to DS. It was originally going to be produced by Kawazu on the DS, it was announced, and he was being all vague about it. Then we heard nothing for a long time before they reannounced it as a full 3D remake directed by Tanaka instead.

No Nintendo, no PS2, stop talking out of your anus. It smells.

I believe if Nintendo ships enough for Mario it can sell 1m in 2 weeks. As for Tomodachi, it seems it has AC legs so it should be good.

Top Bottom