• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
Nirolak said:
Oh yeah I'm sure they'll make good money on this, especially if Jonnyram is right and Sony footed a lot of the bill. I was just noting that oddly enough development budget isn't even close to the main expense for some of these games.
Ye, at first i thought that 10 million to 20 million US dollars for an advertising budget in Japan sounded too high, but after that i read the article that you linked to, suddently using 10 million US dollars on an advertising campaign doesnt sound that much to me :) So it wouldnt surprise me that much if the FFXIII advertising campaign cost much more compared to what i first thought that it costed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nirolak said:
Edit 2: Hmm, can't find the marketing budget from a site I'd call reliable. But yeah, the raw development costs for Final Fantasy during the PS1 era greatly outclass the budgets of many AAA HD games this generation even.
I did a Google search and i found this:

The overall Final Fantasy VII campaign is just a portion of PlayStation brand's unprecedented $100 million marketing campaign supporting the PlayStation brand and a multitude of other key titles. The entire marketing campaign also includes extensive print advertising, public relations, national promotions, retail promotion merchandising, direct mail, sampler discs and Internet support.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1997_August_27/ai_19701566/

I am not sure how reliable this website is though, but at least it mentions a $100 million dollar marketing campaign by Sony. It wasnt just for Final Fantasy VII, but it still shows that Sony used a lot of money on advertisment at least. Is this the article that you were thinking about earlier?

But if Sony used $100 million US dollars on a marketing campaign like 10-12 years ago, then using something like for example 10 million US dollars in these days on the FFXIII advertisment campaign in Japan only sounds possible in my opinion. It wouldnt surprise me that much if they used this amount of money on the FFXIII advertisment campaign in Japan at least :)

EDIT: Maybe that $100 million US dollar PS1 marketing campaign lasted for quite some time, but it is still much money that was used on a marketing campaign in my opinion :)

Not surprising; Final Fantasy commercials were common in the PSone era when other game commercials were not. Sony was an advertising juggernaut back then, and Squaresoft didn't hold back when it came to pushing Final Fantasy VII and VIII, at least.

Onesimos

schuelma said:
About 2:00 A.M EST, unless they leak even earlier because of the nature of the release.

As I am posting, it is now 12:31 A.M. EST, which means that we will soon know within a few hours the first-day sales of Final Fantasy XIII and other games that were released on Thursday in Japan. In Japan, the time is currently 2:31 P.M.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Michan said:
1261090843-mario_171209.png

Last week

Brilliant. :lol

The number of lives should reflect the number of weeks in the market, however. =P

test_account

XP-39C²
Pai Pai Master said:
Not surprising; Final Fantasy commercials were common in the PSone era when other game commercials were not. Sony was an advertising juggernaut back then, and Squaresoft didn't hold back when it came to pushing Final Fantasy VII and VIII, at least.
I wonder how the FFXIII commercial will be in USA and in Europe, if Sony will sponsor (fully or partially) the FFXIII marketing campaign and only advertise the PS3 version, or if Square-Enix will do most of the advertising themselfs and advertise both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version.

EDIT: Or maybe Microsoft will sponsor much of the FFXIII campaign, so that only the Xbox 360 version of FFXIII will be advertised? At least on the TV commercials.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
test_account said:
I wonder how the FFXIII commercial will be in USA and in Europe, if Sony will sponsor (fully or partially) the FFXIII marketing campaign and only advertise the PS3 version, or if Square-Enix will do most of the advertising themselfs and advertise both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version.

EDIT: Or maybe Microsoft will sponsor much of the FFXIII campaign, so that only the Xbox 360 version of FFXIII will be advertised? At least on the TV commercials.
Square-Enix are in luck here, because I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft will want to help "co-market" FFXIII, with their logos appearing at the end of commercials. I believe this has happened with a few games before, where all ads paid for by Sony will show the PS3 at the end and all ads from MS showing the 360. It's a big game for both of them, each of the platform holders want Final Fantasy associated with their console (hell, look at the length MS went to getting it), so Square-Enix can pretty much just sit back and watch. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Sage00 said:
Square-Enix are in luck here, because I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft will want to help "co-market" FFXIII, with their logos appearing at the end of commercials. I believe this has happened with a few games before, where all ads paid for by Sony will show the PS3 at the end and all ads from MS showing the 360. It's a big game for both of them, each of the platform holders want Final Fantasy associated with their console (hell, look at the length MS went to getting it), so Square-Enix can pretty much just sit back and watch. :lol
Ye, that is true, i am sure that both Microsoft and Sony would love to get exclusive advertising rights to FFXIII in Europe and in USA, so Square-Enix is probably in a good position there when it comes to not having to pay for their entire FFXIII marketing campaign indeed as you say :)

Some multiplatform games does sometimes indeed only gets advertised for one gaming system. The most recent example that i have seen is an Assassin's Creed 2 commercial on TV here in Europe where only the PS3 version was mentioned (maybe the new Assassin's Creed PSP game was also mentioned in this commercial, but i unfortunately i dont remember).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Also according to sinobi NSMB Wii has exceeded 2M shipped

Onesimos

While we do not know at this time the actual number of copies that were sold in its first day, but I predicted correctly that Final Fantasy XIII would sale at least one million copies.

schuelma

I think sinobi has some numbers for 1st day of FFX and FF12, but not confident enough in the google translator to know for sure.

schuelma

Bel Marduk said:
When do we get Famitsu first day numbers?

Should be right now, but I don't know if SE's statement means we aren't going to get an exact leak.

Tenbatsu

schuelma said:
I think sinobi has some numbers for 1st day of FFX and FF12, but not confident enough in the google translator to know for sure.
FFⅩ 1st day - 1456k
FFXII 1st day - 1441k

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tenbatsu said:
FFⅩ 1st day - 1456k
FFXII 1st day - 1441k
I saw this and was about to be blown away until I realized that said FFXII.

cvxfreak said:
Sinobi just confirmed about 1 Million copies of FFXIII on day one, plus alpha. Holy snapsters.
Out of curiosity, does the about mean just above or just below, or did Sinobi not specify?

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Sinobi just confirmed about 1 Million copies of FFXIII on day one, plus alpha. Holy snapsters.
1 million copies excluding the hardware bundle, yeah. So potentially a fair bit more to be added.

schuelma

Its hard to make any real projections since we don't have an exact number, but here is a bit of help:

For FFX- approximately 294K the rest of the weekend, with 83% of first week sales coming from the first day.

For FF12, approximately 400K the rest of the weekend, with 78% of first week sales coming on the first day.

If FF13 did 1.15M including the bundles, we would have approximately a 1st week of 1.4M with FFX's ratio, about 1.5M if it follows FF12's ratio.

cvxfreak

FFX's first day comprised of about 63% of its pre-budget price LTD. FFXII was about 63% as well.

If FFXIII follows FFX and FFXII, then it's LTD (pre-Ultimate Hits) will be about 1,587,000.

Uh oh! Better hope they sold tons of those bundles. :lol

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
FFX's first day comprised of about 63% of its pre-budget price LTD. FFXII was about 63% as well.

If FFXIII follows FFX and FFXII, then it's LTD (pre-Ultimate Hits) will be about 1,587,000.

Uh oh! :lol

Remember the million+ doesn't include bundles.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:

Uh oh! Better hope they sold tons of those bundles. :lol
Isn't this the LTD that was more or less expected if this happens?
Famitsu: ~1,5M
Media Create: 1,7-1,8m

Onesimos

Will Final Fantasy XIII be the first and only million seller for the PS3 in Japan, or will there be another? I could not think of any future game on the PS3 that will sell a million copies in Japan unless it is another Final Fantasy game.

Thinking about it, Grand Turismo 5 may be the next PS3 million seller, as the previous game was a solid seller last generation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Tenbatsu said:
Same dude again?
25tzy49.jpg
I like how FFXIII has an insert about online gaming, yet lacks an online mode.

Perhaps they want to get people interested in getting online for the DLC?

That or perhaps Sony asked/paid them to put it in there.

Edit: La la la that's the FFXIV campaign code. Thanks Sage00.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, true. But 2 Million is looking like a long shot. Even MH3 is having trouble doubling its first two days in terms of LTD.

Agree. Its amazing that we can project this based on a single day, but given FFX and FF12 I'd say the realistic cap is close to the initial shipment. I think it will get to almost 1.8M or so.

cvxfreak

Chris1964 said:
Don't tell me now that Sinobi won't give us the exact number, even without the bundles.

Even Famitsu itself didn't mention it, so Sinobi probably doesn't have that info either.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, true. But 2 Million is looking like a long shot. Even MH3 is having trouble doubling its first two days in terms of LTD.
Interesting that you say this. Looking at other major PS franchises on PS3, which have similar "early buyer" trends, there is an interesting pattern:

----- 1st day sales -> 1st week -> LTD
MGS4: 311k -> 476k -> 706k
Yakuza 3: 232k -> 357k -> 493k
RE5: 222k -> 322k -> 476k
FF13: 1M+α

All of them have LTD sales more than double their first day figures.
If FF13 follows the pattern too, 2M is in the bag.
PS3 software seems to have a much longer tail, thanks to the lower install base.

Top Bottom