• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

faridmon

MechaX said:
... Did the Media Create thread just turn into an NPD thread? That's about the only place where I would expect this kind of response.
see what Tales did to us,
now the only thing left is to praise Star Ocean: Last hopes.

kpop100 said:
If a game pulls a profit, but falls well short of expectations I think most would consider it a failure of sorts.

I consider sales disappointing (not a bomb) but in the end I'd prefer publisher reaction to sales since they're the ones making decisions and not us.

NintendosBooger said:
Hey, that's your call, bud! I've seen examples of third party success on. the Wii so I know that the machine isn't a blackhole for non-Nintendo developers. It's a blackhole for scrubby developers with no creativity or skill who made their fortunes this generation by recycling their PS2 efforts with prettier graphics, but that shit won't fly on the Wii. ToG looks like a piece of anime crap anyway. The Wii userbase might be starving for RPGs and all, but not even a starving man will lower himself by consuming dung to support himself.

Go Mario!

It's a well made game by all accounts, with good import impressions.

Or is it because you can't blame poor sales on niche status or lack of advertising in this case, so you wanna drag it down with some of the wii's shoddier 3rd party games. Some people will go to any lengths it seems.

dolemite

kpop100 said:
If a game pulls a profit, but falls well short of expectations I think most would consider it a failure of sorts.
That is correct. Most of the studios rely on one or two big blockbusters to support a dozen or so potential flops/bombas. If a big game underperforms, it can close the entire studio.

obonicus

MechaX said:
... Did the Media Create thread just turn into an NPD thread? That's about the only place where I would expect this kind of response.

Isn't he a joke poster? I mean, whether he means to be funny on purpose or not.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
NimbusD said:
Something tells me you've been waiting to use that (and would have said it regardless of sales).
oh god, for MONTHS. it was like having to pee really bad.

But I wouldn't have said it if it did like 250k of course :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii 135,898
PS3 75,086
PSP 71,885
DSi 68,184
DSi LL 58,006
DS Lite 11,376
Xbox 360 10,646
PSP go 3,077

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Scum said:
So, has FFXIII sold 1.8m and shifted 250k PS3s or are we still waiting to find out...?
We don't get that kind of hardware # until next week. :)

lol psp go!

NintendosBooger said:
Hey, that's your call, bud! I've seen examples of third party success on. the Wii so I know that the machine isn't a blackhole for non-Nintendo developers. It's a blackhole for scrubby developers with no creativity or skill who made their fortunes this generation by recycling their PS2 efforts with prettier graphics, but that shit won't fly on the Wii. ToG looks like a piece of anime crap anyway. The Wii userbase might be starving for RPGs and all, but not even a starving man will lower himself by consuming dung to support himself.

Go Mario!

:lol :lol

schuelma

The Wii goes up approximately 138K YTD, 110K for December

Elios83

schuelma said:
Wii 135,898
PS3 75,086
PSP 71,885
DSi 68,184
DSi LL 58,006
DS Lite 11,376
Xbox 360 10,646
PSP go 3,077

Soon PSP go will do negative numbers and will start eating into PSP 3000 numbers :lol :lol

Scum

Y2Kev said:
We don't get that kind of hardware # until next week. :)

lol psp go!
Oh. Okay. Cheers for the info. :)

P.S Why did Sony waste their efforts on the PSPGo?? When it could have been effort well spent on doing something worthwhile for the current PSP.

devilhawk

If the PS3 beats the Wii by 70k over the next 2 weeks, the PS3 would "win" the YTD. Could be possible. Does the Wii (or a typical past console) continue to gain sales before the new year or just hold steady throughout December?

jeremy1456

devilhawk said:
If the PS3 beats the Wii by 70k over the next 2 weeks, the PS3 would "win" the YTD. Could be possible. Does the Wii (or a typical past console) continue to gain sales before the new year or just hold steady throughout December?

Sales gain with the highest week being the first of the new year I believe.

Jonnyram

Scum said:
P.S Why did Sony waste their efforts on the PSPGo?? When it could have been effort well spent on doing something worthwhile for the current PSP.
That doesn't make total sense. All the efforts Sony is putting into PSP Go, regarding digital game purchases, movies, comics etc, directly affect the PSP too.

schuelma

devilhawk said:

Sales should be higher the next 3 weeks than they were this week.

jcm

Bel Marduk said:
My definition is the same definition that publishers use too. "Did we get money?"

Simplified? Yes. But truthful? Also yes.

That's not what publishers use. Publishers use "did we get a good return on our investment"? If I spend 10 years and $100B to earn $1M it was a poor investment, even though it resulted in a profit. On the other hand, if I loan you $20 today and you pay me $25 tomorrow, it was a good investment.

In the case at hand, if Graces turns a small profit, it's better than a loss, but there may have been a better use of the resources.

markatisu

velvet_nitemare said:
I wonder how confident those that predicted Wii>PS3 for next week in the last thread are feeling.

Did many people do that? I thought the popular consensus was if the PS3 would win any week it would be the FFXIII one

One week possibly, I cannot see the PS3 beating the Wii by 70k going right into Christmas for 2 weeks in a row.

markatisu said:
Did many people do that? I thought the popular consensus was if the PS3 would win any week it would be the FFXIII one

I remember 2, might be more.

Some might have readjusted after the FFXIII bundle numbers became public., but those don't count for predictions.

jcm said:
That's not what publishers use. Publishers use "did we get a good return on our investment"? If I spend 10 years and $100B to earn $1M it was a poor investment, even though it resulted in a profit. On the other hand, if I loan you $20 today and you pay me $25 tomorrow, it was a good investment.

In the case at hand, if Graces turns a small profit, it's better than a loss, but there may have been a better use of the resources.

Seeing how frontloaded the series is, they won't have to wait long to see if it was a good investment or not...

We don't really know the extent of the money they will make, the amount Graces will end up selling, the amount of DLC being sold, etc. Gotta wait for some financial reports.

schuelma

velvet_nitemare said:
I wonder how confident those that predicted Wii>PS3 for next week in the last thread are feeling.

I wonder how confident those that predicted Wii<100K are feeling.

On a serious note, I think I had the Wii barely on top, but if I had known SE was going to ship 200K bundles I would have predicted PS3 to defeat the Wii. I think Wii is good for 180K-190K, the only question is how high PS3 will get.

schuelma said:
I wonder how confident those that predicted Wii<100K are feeling.

On a serious note, I think I had the Wii barely on top, but if I had known SE was going to ship 200K bundles I would have predicted PS3 to defeat the Wii. I think Wii is good for 180K-190K, the only question is how high PS3 will get.

I sure didn't predict Wii < 100K.

Plus, you must expect them to be neck and Neck, since you revised your PS3 prediction to 185k.

dolemite

velvet_nitemare said:
Very very confident:D
arnold-lats.jpg

schuelma

velvet_nitemare said:
Plus, you must expect them to be neck and Neck, since you revised your PS3 prediction to 185k.

I thought I revised them right after hearing the 1.8m number but before the 200K bundle number was semi-confirmed. In any event, I would bet on PS3 clearing 200K now, but honestly its such a crap shoot. Anything from 175K-230K wouldn't surprise me.

Hopefully we get bundle sell through tonight

Scum

Jonnyram said:
That doesn't make total sense. All the efforts Sony is putting into PSP Go, regarding digital game purchases, movies, comics etc, directly affect the PSP too.
Shows how much I know! :lol

Jonnyram

You guys really need to sort out the rules for your predictions.
Making predictions after you know shipment numbers is missing the point.
Making them after the game goes on sale is just a joke.
You should have a cut-off point a week before release at the very least. Once you start getting shipment rumours, the predictions turn into informed estimates.

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
You should have a cut-off point a week before release at the very least.

The cutoff is the Famitsu leak Wednesday morning. Any predictions done after the 1.6m + 200K bundles reports wouldn't count.

Top Bottom