• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

test_account

XP-39C²
TheBranca18 said:
http://dualshockers.com/2009/12/final-fantasy-xiii-sells-two-million-copies-on-day-one

Poor guys using shipment numbers. Wouldn't last a day in a Media Create thread on GAF :lol
They fixed the article now from "units sold" to "units shipped" :) But for some reason it still says 2 million copies. I thought that the first shipment was on 1.8 million (including the rumored (or was it confirmed?) 200k PS3 FFXIII hardware bundles)?

jeremy1456 said:
Hope they aren't Kingdom Hearts fans.

Zing!
Isnt Kingdom Hearts coming as a download-able version?

50j1.png
50j2.png

50j3.png
50j4.png

(http://www.nintendojofr.com/redacti...p_Media_Create_Japon_du_7_au_13_décembre.html)

Also, I focused on Final Fantasy. In french, but everybody can understand the charts.
http://www.nintendojofr.com/redaction/editoriaux/atiF-Rétrospective_Charts_:_Final_Fantasy.html

ffgaf.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:
You guys really need to sort out the rules for your predictions.
Making predictions after you know shipment numbers is missing the point.
Making them after the game goes on sale is just a joke.
You should have a cut-off point a week before release at the very least. Once you start getting shipment rumours, the predictions turn into informed estimates.

To clarify, my "predictions' in question was just for my amusement after hearing the new shipment amount, not for any other purpose.

test_account said:
They fixed the article now from "units sold" to "units shipped" :) But for some reason it still says 2 million copies. I thought that the first shipment was on 1.8 million (including the rumored (or was it confirmed?) 200k PS3 FFXIII hardware bundles)?

Isnt Kingdom Hearts coming as a download-able version?

As of now, no. Considering the game comes out in a couple weeks I don't think it will have one...

Jonnyram

donny2112 said:
The cutoff is the Famitsu leak Wednesday morning. Any predictions done after the 1.6m + 200K bundles reports wouldn't count.
That's still only 10hrs before a game officially goes on sale though. I think it's too close, personally.
And sorry, I don't mean to rant - it's just funny to see so little deviation based around that bs rumour of 1 mil + 300k shipment that came out at the start of the week. The predictions should have been closed before that even came out, ideally. For big games, you tend to get all sorts of rumours during the launch week.

onken

test_account said:

The title of one Famitsu article was "aiming for 2m", that's probably where the number comes from.

onken said:
The title of one Famitsu article was "aiming for 2m", that's probably where the number comes from.
Wada said he's very hopeful FFXIII can sell 2 mil based on the buzz surrounding the launch (and i assume preorders too)

Spiegel

MC numbers:

►[Wii] Tales of Graces
143k sold/~210k shipped (68,18% sell-through)

►[Wii] Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
137k sold/~195k shipped (70,82% sell-through)

►[360] Modern Warfare 2
43k sold/~62k shipped (69,92% sell-through)

►[PS3] Modern Warfare 2
93k sold/~135k shipped (68,69% sell-through)

schuelma

Spiegel said:
MC numbers:

►[Wii] Tales of Graces
143k sold/~210k shipped (68,18% sell-through)

So basically it will eventually sputter to ToS:KoR numbers. Great success!

schuelma said:

They'll end up shipping a bit more like they did for DotNW. So it'll end up a bit higher.

Solid sell through nonetheless, but of course it's still a "bomba" :lol

Edit: When do we get first day numbers? What time EST?

tehbear

dolemite said:
Solid sold through for Tales, not sure why GAF is so cruel to the title.

Because only spectacular numbers (positive/negative) can make statements about the viability of 3rd parties on the Wii. Anything else just leads to uncomfortable speculation and guessing games.

The lack of certainty is certainly no fun, so some exaggeration is warranted to create amusement where there is none.

schuelma

Bel Marduk said:
They'll end up shipping a bit more like they did for DotNW. So it'll end up a bit higher.

Solid sell through nonetheless, but of course it's still a "bomba" :lol

Solid sell through doesn't necessarily mean much of anything. Wii's marvelous titles had "solid sell through" first weeks and it got them some awesome <50K LTD's.

Bel Marduk said:
Edit: When do we get first day numbers? What time EST?

About 2:00 A.M EST, unless they leak even earlier because of the nature of the release.

schuelma said:
Solid sell through doesn't necessarily mean much of anything. Wii's marvelous titles had "solid sell through" first weeks and it got them some awesome <50K LTD's.

About 2:00 A.M EST, unless they leak even earlier because of the nature of the release.

But when it's over a 200k shipment you have to wonder!

I hope they end up leaking at around 12.

markatisu

schuelma said:

So basically the same people who bought KoR will buy Graces, well I guess at least knowing your audience is a positive :lol

It will be interesting to see next weeks number to see how much it drops off, the holidays may be enough to push it to almost sell out the first shipment but not get a 2nd shipment like most people were anticipating

markatisu said:
So basically the same people who bought KoR will buy Graces, well I guess at least knowing your audience is a positive :lol

It will be interesting to see next weeks number to see how much it drops off, the holidays may be enough to push it to almost sell out the first shipment but not get a 2nd shipment like most people were anticipating

I don't know how often it is that games don't get second shipments. Especially when we're talking about Namco here :lol

@lascar

I don't think comparing ToG (and basically all the others this gen) to Tales in previous gens is such a good idea since the series has declined drastically since then (that's Namco's own fault for making too many). Better to just compare it to games this gen.

Bebpo

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
I don't know how often it is that games don't get second shipments. Especially when we're talking about Namco here :lol

@lascar

I don't think comparing ToG (and basically all the others this gen) to Tales in previous gens is such a good idea since the series has declined drastically since then (that's Namco's own fault for making too many). Better to just compare it to games this gen.

Series hasn't declined that horribly. If you combined Vesperia 360+PS3 you get healthy sales. I'm thinking a non-port PS3 one can will probably do 400-500k+ still these days. Vesperia 2 will show if it can if that ends up happening.

markatisu

Bel Marduk said:

Well since its Namco I am shocked the shipment was not like 450k or something insane like that since their expectations are always so freaking high in their financials

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
markatisu said:
Well since its Namco I am shocked the shipment was not like 450k or something insane like that since their expectations are always so freaking high in their financials
You can't ship what retailers won't buy.

When a publisher has a history of screwing you over with shipments, you're usually not that favorable to them anymore. :lol

cvxfreak said:
For what it's worth, NSMB Wii at one shop is 1 per customer. FFXIII isn't.

Obviously retailers are taking advantage of crazy people buying multiple copies and 5 of the LE bundles at once :D

NSMB is a beast though. And these first day numbers better come out soon!

mujun

markatisu said:
I think he means that people are limited in buying NSMB Wii but they can buy as many copies of FFXIII as they want, implying that there is plenty of FFXIII supply

Exactly :)

Bebpo

Banned
I don't think anyone is expecting them to have sold all 1.8 million copies on day 1 :p

Plus if you use that logic, than every game in existence in Japan that is not mario has "plenty of supply" in stores because they aren't limiting them to 1 per customer.

schuelma

markatisu said:
I think he means that people are limited in buying NSMB Wii but they can buy as many copies of FFXIII as they want, implying that there is plenty of FFXIII supply

I knew what he meant. I think my "huh" came out wrong.

test_account

XP-39C²
Bel Marduk said:
As of now, no. Considering the game comes out in a couple weeks I don't think it will have one...
Ah ok. But wouldnt it be easy to just put the game up on the PS Store at the same day as they release the retail release (the physical copy with UMD, box and manual)?

onken said:
Ah ok, i see, then i know where the 2 million number comes from thanks for the info! :)

cvxfreak said:
Compared to everyone who buys a game, isnt it just a handful of these who buys several of copies of the same game? I have no idea though.

dolemite

test_account said:
Ah ok, i see, then i know where the 2 million number comes from thanks for the info! :)
The only absolutely certain number is 1.8 million shipped from Wada. The number of bundles is "rumor and speculation".

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
This is purely to prevent reselling. The buying price (at used stores) for NSMB is high, and in some places it might be dangerously close to the selling price at other stores. I saw one store even paying 4500 yen for it!

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
This is purely to prevent reselling. The buying price (at used stores) for NSMB is high, and in some places it might be dangerously close to the selling price at other stores. I saw one store even paying 4500 yen for it!

Pay with a credit card or your store points, get cash back. Brilliant. :lol

The demand for the game is beyond the roof, though. At least there's no accessory holding the game back from being readily available, unlike Pokemon last September. Red case notwithstanding. :p

test_account

XP-39C²
dolemite said:
The only absolutely certain number is 1.8 million shipped from Wada. The number of bundles is "rumor and speculation".
Ok, i see. But i ment if 2 million copies were mentioned in the Famitsu article as that Wada hoped that FFXIII would sell that much and not that it was shipped 2 million copies of FFXIII, then i understand where the 2 million number came from in the dualshockers.com article :) I just wondered why this dualshockers.com article mentioned 2 million copies when only 1.8 million copies had been confirmed as shipped. I guess that is where dualshockers.com got the 2 million number from, since they mention 2 million copies in their article and not 1.8 million :)

mujun

Does anyone have any insight into exactly what sort of numbers need to be achieved in Japan for FF13 to considered a success by SE?

Is there a number they've mentioned that is the "break even" number or is anyone able to predict?

I imagine that the budget for this game was pretty damned high considering how well produced it is and how long it's been in production.

test_account

XP-39C²
mujun said:
Does anyone have any insight into exactly what sort of numbers need to be achieved in Japan for FF13 to considered a success by SE?

Is there a number they've mentioned that is the "break even" number or is anyone able to predict?

I imagine that the budget for this game was pretty damned high considering how well produced it is and how long it's been in production.
The retail price for FFXIII is about 9000 yen (about 100 US dollars). I am not sure how much Square-Enix makes from each copy that are sold, but maybe something around $60? If they get $60 from each copy that is sold and they sell 1.5 million copies, then they have made 90 million US dollars. I dont know how much it cost to make FFXIII, but i dont think that it is as much as 90 million US dollars. Or if they manage to sell 2 million copies, then they make 120 million dollars.

The adverticment campaign for FFXIII probably wasnt cheap either, but if i shall guess, i think that Square-Enix will at least break even after the 1st weeks of sales for FFXIII.

EDIT: In comparison, Kazunori Yamauchi (the guy behind the Gran Turismo games) estimated that it costed 60 million US dollars to develope Gran Turismo 5 and that it took about 5 years to develope Gran Turismo 5.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...urismo_5s_Development_Cost_Hit_60_Million.php

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
test_account said:
The retail price for FFXIII is about 9000 yen (about 100 US dollars). I am not sure how much Square-Enix makes from each copy that are sold, but maybe something around $60? If they get $60 from each copy that is sold and they sell 1.5 million copies, then they have made 90 million US dollars. I dont know how much it cost to make FFXIII, but i dont think that it is as much as 90 million US dollars. Or if they manage to sell 2 million copies, then they make 120 million dollars.

The adverticment campaign for FFXIII probably wasnt cheap either, but if i shall guess, i think that Square-Enix will at least break even after the 1st weeks of sales for FFXIII.

EDIT: In comparison, Gran Turismo 5 costed 60 million US dollars to develope and it took about 5 years to develope Gran Turismo 5.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...urismo_5s_Development_Cost_Hit_60_Million.php
Marketing costs would be important to remember in this also.

EA tends to spend 2-3x the amount they spend on development advertising their big games, and Modern Warfare 2 racked up a marketing budget of over $150 million.

Linkhero1

Those FF XIII Bundles are insane. I wonder how much of the bundle will sell first day. Can't wait for the first day numbers :D

kswiston

mujun said:

Final Fantasy games do about 60% of their worldwide LTD outside of Japan, so breaking even on Japanese sales alone is not critical. Even if the game cost $100M to make and market, Square-Enix is going to make a nice little profit. At the very low end, Final Fantasy XIII will ship 5M copies worldwide. Maybe 6-6.5M.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nirolak said:
Marketing costs would be important to remember in this also.
I know, i did account for that for FFXIII :) I have no idea how much FFXIII's adverticement campaing costed, but i dont think that Square Enix has used tens of millions of dollars on FFXIII adverticement campaign. It probably cost millions of dollars thoug, but i dont think that it is as much as something like for example 10 million -20 million US dollars.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
test_account said:
I know, i did account for that for FFXIII :) I have no idea how much FFXIII's adverticement campaing costed, but i dont think that Square Enix has used tens of millions of dollars on FFXIII adverticement campaign. It probably cost millions of dollars thoug, but i dont think that it is as much as something like for example 10 million -20 million US dollars.
I'm not sure either actually. Especially considering this is the Japanese market only so far. However, I tried to stealth edit in some of the ludicrous expenses other companies have in terms of marketing, but you caught me before I did. :p

Jonnyram

test_account said:
Don't forget to factor in financial help from Sony. They may have paid for most of the marketing, and probably helped a lot with early development too.

I really doubt FF XIII will only make a "small" profit in Japan...it'll give them some good money.

Btw, question. Does anyone know how much retailers buy the games from publishers for? Any game. The same as retail price or is it lower?

test_account

XP-39C²
Nirolak said:
I'm not sure either actually. Especially considering this is the Japanese market only so far. However, I tried to stealth edit in some of the ludicrous expenses other companies have in terms of marketing, but you caught me before I did. :p
Ye, i forgot to write that, sorry, i was only thinking about the japanese market when i thought about the FFXIII adverticing campaign :)

Ah ok, i see your edit now, thanks for the website links! :) I didnt know that publishers uses this much money on adverticing games, so maybe adverticing is much more expencive than i first thought. These adverticment budgets might be for worldwide adverticing and i dont know how long these ad campaigns are running. It says "budget", so maybe they dont always end up using the amount that they have budget for, but i dont know.

But seeing these website links, maybe the FFXIII adverticing campaign really cost over 10 million US dollars in Japan only? But even if it cost this much, i still think that Square Enix will at least break even with FFXIII in the first week if they game sells something like 1.5 million copies.

Jonnyram said:
Don't forget to factor in financial help from Sony. They may have paid for most of the marketing, and probably helped a lot with early development too.
Ah yes, that is true, i didnt think about this. I also think that Sony might have helped with some of costs around FFXIII indeed as you say, i agree :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
test_account said:
Ye, i forgot to write that, sorry, i was only thinking about the japanese market when i thought about the FFXIII adverticing campaign :)

Ah ok, i see your edit now, thanks for the website links! :) I didnt know that publishers uses this much money on adverticing games, so maybe adverticing is much more expencive than i first thought. These adverticment budgets might be for worldwide adverticing and i dont know how long these ad campaigns are running. It says "budget", so maybe they dont always end up using the amount that they have budget for, but i dont know.

But seeing these website links, maybe the FFXIII adverticing campaign really cost over 10 million US dollars in Japan only? But even if it cost this much, i still think that Square Enix will at least break even with FFXIII in the first week if they game sells something like 1.5 million copies.
Oh yeah I'm sure they'll make good money on this, especially if Jonnyram is right and Sony footed a lot of the bill. I was just noting that oddly enough development budget isn't even close to the main expense for some of these games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In terms of duration of development, the game is not dissimilar from the PS2 FFs-- it's actually shorter than FFXII. Figure out the team size and it might not be all that much more expensive, if at all. Square routinely spent 30+ million dollars on FF games last generation...and the generation before that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Y2Kev said:
In terms of duration of development, the game is not dissimilar from the PS2 FFs-- it's actually shorter than FFXII. Figure out the team size and it might not be all that much more expensive, if at all. Square routinely spent 30+ million dollars on FF games last generation...and the generation before that.
Didn't FFVII have something ludicrous like a $40-45 million budget along with $100 million in marketing from Sony?

I can't quite remember as I wasn't following sales when it came out. I'll see if I can find what I was thinking of.

Edit: Yeah, FFVII was actually $45 million: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3135727

I think the PS2 ones were actually cheaper.

Still looking for the marketing though.

Edit 2: Hmm, can't find the marketing budget from a site I'd call reliable. But yeah, the raw development costs for Final Fantasy during the PS1 era greatly outclass the budgets of many AAA HD games this generation even.

Top Bottom