• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

pestul

argon said:
DSL 127,647
Wii 86,395
PSP 37,032
PS3 21,105
PS2 20,169
Xbox360 7,041
GBM 1,864
GBASP 1,498
GC 554
DS 123
GBA 94

Real MC numbers.
doom2.gif

aloof

Banned
Once a few good JP games release for PS3, expect it to regain its stranglehold on the Japanese market. I simply don't see more than a couple pieces of compelling software for Wii in 2007. It's barren. The playable FF13 demo this year will end any doubts.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ramses01 said:
The funny thing is you are laughing and 360 is scoring a 25% market share for next gen, with the assumption that the Wi doesn't count as next gen. If I had a said that 2 months after launch and with no supply constraints 1 360 would sell for every 3PS3s, GAF would fainted from oxygen deprivation due to laughter. With an increasing number of games of interest to japanese consumers, the 360 may hit an install base of 1m by the end of the year, which would be a huge victory for MS.

GAWD

Hear that? It's another "Wii is not next-gen" argument that's about to obliterate this thread.

Elios83

What about that store?
They have been kindly asked by Sony to put the price back to normal to avoid a "OMG the price is about to be cut!!" hysteria?:lol :lol

Elios83 said:
PS3 numbers are really dissappointing, gamers over there are not willing to pay the price without big games and just the brand name isn't able to get the installed base to 1 million units which is troubling for Sony.If titles like VF5 and Gundam fail to improve the situation Sony must take action.
360 is back in the coffin.

:lol if the 360 is in the coffin, then you need to be REALLY concenred for your precious PS3 as it is approaching 360 numbers with quite the velocity.

aloof said:
Once a few good JP games release for PS3, expect it to regain its stranglehold on the Japanese market. I simply don't see more than a couple pieces of compelling software for Wii in 2007. It's barren. The playable FF13 demo this year will end any doubts.

Those "couple of pieces of compelling software" will sell quite well, however: Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Wii Fitness, Wii Big Brain Academy and, if it is released this year, Super Smash Bros Brawl will all top the charts and help sell the Wii - as if it needed selling. And there is always the potential of the titles having long legs, as do Wii Play and Wii Sports.

ramses01 said:
The funny thing is you are laughing and 360 is scoring a 25% market share for next gen, with the assumption that the Wi doesn't count as next gen. If I had a said that 2 months after launch and with no supply constraints 1 360 would sell for every 3PS3s, GAF would fainted from oxygen deprivation due to laughter. With an increasing number of games of interest to japanese consumers, the 360 may hit an install base of 1m by the end of the year, which would be a huge victory for MS.

This is what I love about 360 fans. The eternal optimism, there is no such thing as bad new to these people.

mj1108

aloof said:
:lol :lol

jjasper

Do you people really think VF5 is going to help the system? It isn't that important a title.

jamesinclair said:
The funny part is that I just saw a Wii commercial on TV

I see there all the time (here in the US) more than the PS3 and 360 combined

aloof said:

truly an apt username :lol

aloof said:

Wow. Believe it or not, predictions can be made from those software sales. For every big title that takes 2+ years to develop and sells 500,000 in JP, there will be a Wii title that takes a 1/3rd of the time to develop at a 3rd of the budget and sells the same. Basically, Sony has a major uphill battle and it'll take more than VF5 and a few sprinkles of games Japan likes here and there to get them dominating in Japan. Even those with a console preference should be able to see this.

rage1973

Wow Sony is just suffering at this point. I hate to make such assumption this early but it appears Nintendo is definitely going to win the Japanese market this generation. The type of games they have upcoming on Wii would appeal much more than things coming down the pipeline for PS3 like Wii fitness, Wii Karaoke, and Pokemon.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I am definitely shocked at the PS3, I figured there'd be enough early adopters to sell a couple million in japan before the price caused any problems.

Wonderdave said:
This is what I love about 360 fans. The eternal optimism, there is no such thing as bad new to these people.
Hehe it's so cute. I hate it when people bash them, it's like tipping a disabled person out of their wheelchair and running away laughing!

Elios83 said:
PS3 numbers are really dissappointing, gamers over there are not willing to pay the price without big games and just the brand name isn't able to get the installed base to 1 million units which is troubling for Sony.If titles like VF5 and Gundam fail to improve the situation Sony must take action.
Wii sales are slowing down too (although they're still at a high level for this period of the year),I wonder if the trend will follow in the coming weeks.
I'm quite surprised by the positive momentum PSP has gained in Japan since December.
360 is back in the coffin.

I don't know if the Wii sales are really slowing down. What's the supply situation over there? Considering these are estimates, most of the difference from this week to last week could be attributed to margin of error and Wii Hut East.

Dante

I don't understand why 360 and PS3 people are at each others throats, as the low sales of HD gaming overall in Japan has been hugely dissapointing, and doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon. PSP sales look good to me also.....I mean since I read all the time what a failure it is.

AniHawk

Wait till the Japanese see White Knight Story. Then all of a sudden everyone will buy Playstation 3s instead all of a sudden.

ramses01 said:

defensevb1.jpg

LJ11

I personally can't wait for Wii Fitness. Gaming at its finest. Who wants to work out at the gym when you can do it at home, in front of your tv, with a remote in your hand. You can eat chips while getting a mean work out.

Edit: I actually agree with Dante for a change.

rage1973

Dante said:
I don't understand why 360 and PS3 people are at each others throats, as the low sales of HD gaming overall in Japan has been hugely dissapointing, and doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon. PSP sales look good to me also.....I mean since I read all the time what a failure it is.
Yeah this is pretty disappointing in general for me. As I do not have much interest in gaming on the Wii and already have much money invested in HD Theatre, 360, and PS3. I am just wondering what this means for all the big Japanese franchises down the line. Are they going to move the next SH, RE or DMC5 onto the Wii platform. This would definitely be a big disappointment for me.

AniHawk

rage1973 said:
Yeah this is pretty disappointing in general for me. As I do not have much interest in gaming on the Wii and already have much money invested in HD Theatre, 360, and PS3. I am just wondering what this means for all the big Japanese franchises down the line. Are they going to move the next SH, RE or DMC5 onto the Wii platform. This would definitely be a big disappointment for me.

I'd be glad to see that happen, because it'd be a big disappointment for you.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Well, so much for the 360 surge.

PS3 sales are low, and yes, you can find them pretty easily here. I was in a 7/11 (of all places) last night where they had them in stock.

I'm not entirely surprised by these numbers. GOW selling mostly to the current userbase seemed pretty obvious and the Wii continuing to sell was a given. Nintendo needs to get a couple more hits out there though. Nintendogs had Brain training and then Animal Crossing to follow it up; Wii doesn't have those kinds of titles coming in the near future.

Pimpwerx

argon said:
DSL 127,647
Wii 86,395
PSP 37,032
PS3 21,105
PS2 20,169
Xbox360 7,041
GBM 1,864
GBASP 1,498
GC 554
DS 123
GBA 94

Real MC numbers.
Geronimo! It's kinda funny. Japan has finally woken from its decade-long slumber where it accepted getting reamed on price, and has now become the bargain-hunter's paradise. I am really getting a DS vibe from the Wii. I stand by my outlandish prediction that the Wii overtakes the 360 worldwide by Summer. It's just really a question of whether or not Nintendo can make enough machines at this point. I'm talking sell-through, we know there's no chance at the shipping total.

Anyway, sucks for the PS3 and PSP. Japan love living in the ghetto. :( PEACE.

Lobster

Banned
AniHawk said:
That's where all the third party sales come from.

:lol

So what exactly did they buy 20,000 Ps3s for? The Wii Play and Wii Sports checks out for Wii..but they seriously can't be buying Ps3s for Blu Ray...right?

Avalon

BlindN-Fan said:
:lol

So what exactly did they buy 20,000 Ps3s for? The Wii Play and Wii Sports checks out for Wii..but they seriously can't be buying Ps3s for Blu Ray...right?

Not sure. PSP has similar problems... Hardware sales, but no games...

Top Bottom