• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Me_Marcadet said:
I think that the lack of appealing games to the actual japanese gamers has more to do with the crappy sales.

If wii sells it's not beacause it's cheaper but because it has wii sports and wii play who is perfect for actual japanese taste.

The HW sales of the ps3 would not be good with a lower price.

I disagree. Even with no games, I believe a lower price PS3's launch momentum would be much greater. The only example I can draw on is the DS. It's not a perfect 1:1 comparison I know, but it's comparable. Both had big named predecessors which were still being supported. The DS had a crap launch line-up and not even the value of it being named after it's predecessor, but it had a respectable launch momentum even at the same time of the year before it went crashing down.

andthebeatgoeson

Lapsed said:
When a disruption strategy works, not only does the disruptor product sales go up, but the competitors' become marginalized. It is too early to say that this is happening with the PS3, but it is a fair possibility.

I think we can put to bed the ideas that the console market revolves around brand name and 'better' technology. I suppose Japanese didn't listen to Kutaragi when he said the PS3 must be bought because "it is the only PS3". (!)

Let's have a quote from Reggie:

If the market follows through with the paradigm shift, from sight to touch as the Wii and DS represent, then game entertainment based around sight will naturally become marginalized.

Pfft, just a fad.gif.

Or a gimmick.

Or a revolution. I'm not sure.

argon

PS3 LTD: 574,138

Wow... Assuming PS3 does ~25k/week, it will take over 4 months to completely sell through Sony's 1 million shipment.

XiaNaphryz said:
The DS says otherwise...
The DS sales are quite normally distributed. High sales at launch, then they even out, then an ongoing surge as it achieves mass market penetration. That the DS has significantly expanded the handheld market is also pushing up its' sale as newcomers buy it. Big numbers but not abnormally distributed.

The Wii is novel but unproven the DS is 20 months old.

methane47

MrSardonic said:
This week's charts

linex360vsxboxltdph9.jpg

Is it possible to get a PS3 vs PS2 vs PS1 sales chart per month after launch?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Lapsed said:
When a disruption strategy works, not only does the disruptor product sales go up, but the competitors' become marginalized. It is too early to say that this is happening with the PS3, but it is a fair possibility.

I think we can put to bed the ideas that the console market revolves around brand name and 'better' technology. I suppose Japanese didn't listen to Kutaragi when he said the PS3 must be bought because "it is the only PS3". (!)

Let's have a quote from Reggie:

If the market follows through with the paradigm shift, from sight to touch as the Wii and DS represent, then game entertainment based around sight will naturally become marginalized.
Yeah, if that comes true... then it won't be enough to grow the next, next generation with Wii controls but with better graphics. The depth of motion control will have to be improved apon alot to keep people excited.

Avalon

KTallguy said:
The PS3 has no games yet.

The PS3 will have games soon.

Gundam Musou = $$

I wonder if we will see some giant spikes in units sold. I mean, if no games can push 25k a week, what will an actual worthwhile title do?

argon said:
PS3 LTD: 574,138

Wow... Assuming PS3 does ~25k/week, it will take over 4 months to completely sell through Sony's 1 million shipment.

Look at it this way: the Sony factory workers on the PS3 assembly line are finally having a well-deserved easy workflow now after the major overtime inducing stress pre-launch. Now they will be relaxed enough to be able to go home and actually play some games on their DS or Wii with their families instead of crashing into bed due to exhaustion.

VF5 and Gundam should cause fairly substantial spikes at least for 1 or 2 weeks. What else does Sony got for 1st half 2007 though?

January's pretty much been a complete wash for Sony.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If Nintendo does Wii music right, it could end up being bigger than Guitar Hero.

Electroplankton seemed like a neat idea, but never really catched on. And I think Band Bros. didn't do that well (did it?).

Gahiggidy said:
Yeah, if that comes true... then it won't be enough to grow the next, next generation with Wii controls but with better graphics. The depth of motion control will have to be improved apon alot to keep people excited.

Well, I think the motion control will take over the whole industry as of next generation, possibly in the form of the Wiimote, and developers will make amazing use of it by 5 years from now I bet.

SPEA

TheKingsCrown said:
Well, I think the motion control will take over the whole industry as of next generation, possibly in the form of the Wiimote, and developers will make amazing use of it by 5 years from now I bet.
but i like to play games with controllers :(

My guess for Wii 2 is a wireless camera that can pick up full body movement and facial expressions (then translate them onto an on-screen character) in addition to a fancier motion wand controller(s).

At least that sort of seems like a natural progression. Actually I think Sony has already talked about trying this with the Eye Toy 2, but I don't know if the technology has matured to that point yet.

soundwave05 said:
VF5 and Gundam should cause fairly substantial spikes at least for 1 or 2 weeks. What else does Sony got for 1st half 2007 though?

January's pretty much been a complete wash for Sony.

I just glanced at the 2007 PS3 thread. VF5 will do good sales. There's also NGS, Enchant Arm, MotorStorm, Heavenly Sword, F1 game but it's hard to say how well these will do. I have no idea about what random anime and shovelware titles coming out that might do good.

Looks like

Wii -

Wii Music
Wii Fitness (?)
Super Paper Mario
Fire Emblem X: GoD
Big Brain Academy Wii
Mario Party 8
Dragon Quest Swords

PS3 -

Virtua Fighter 5
Gundam Mosou (sp?)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Enchanted Arms (?)

Are the respective "big hitters" for Japan console wise for the 1st half of the year. Pending delays and what not of course. I really don't see stuff like Motorstorm doing much over there though. I don't know what Enchanted Arms is really, but I listed it anyway.

Busaiku

EphemeralDream said:
I just glanced at the 2007 PS3 thread. VF5 will do good sales. There's also NGS, Enchant Arm, MotorStorm, Heavenly Sword, F1 game but it's hard to say how well these will do. I have no idea about what random anime and shovelware titles coming out that might do good.
Motorstorm and F1 came out already.

Wii after 8 weeks

Wii Sports: 851,535 (66 %)
Wii Play: 761,814 (59 %)

DS after 8 weeks

Mario 64 DS: 618,777 (36 %)
Wario Ware: 605,744 (36 %)

LM4sure

Banned
Top 50:
NDS - 29
PS2 - 8
Wii - 7
PSP - 4
GBA - 1
360 - 1

This does not look good for Sony. No PS3 titles in the top 50? NONE??!!? Unacceptable.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
methane47 said:
Is it possible to get a PS3 vs PS2 vs PS1 sales chart per month after launch?

Heidir said:
And Wii vs GC?

I don't have any M-C data pre-early 2002 for GC or PS2, let alone PS1. I don't think MC have even tracked sales long enough for PS1 launch data...perhaps not even for PS2 data.

I asked ioi for early M-C data relating to PS2, GC, GBA, etc, but he refused to share it with me.

The early PS2 data (i.e. pre-March 2002) I used for the PS2 vs DS comparision was just to avoid using a straight line linking 0m with 8m. It is inherently unreliable on a micro-scale, has been cobbled together from several sources (sony's shipment data, vgcharts numbers, and comparisons with later M-C LTD numbers), and I'd never use it for comparisons between launches. It is only useful for filling in the early PS2-blanks in long-term comparisons such as the trend between DS and PS2.

I haven't seen any reliable or M-C sourced figures for PS2/GC/PS1 anywhere on the internet. However, you can be sure Wii launch is much better than GC (it has already sold more than 30% the GC LTD, that the PS2 launch was far better than the PS1 launch, and that the PS3 launch has been far worse than the PS2 (which sold more it's opening weekend than the PS3 has sold to date)

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I disagree. Even with no games, I believe a lower price PS3's launch momentum would be much greater. The only example I can draw on is the DS. It's not a perfect 1:1 comparison I know, but it's comparable. Both had big named predecessors which were still being supported. The DS had a crap launch line-up and not even the value of it being named after it's predecessor, but it had a respectable launch momentum even at the same time of the year before it went crashing down.

at the time of the DS launch, the market wasn't the same. A wario game and mario 64 remake was very good at that time. Mario was (and is) a strong franchise (cf mario remake on gba) and Wario touched showed the capacity of the DS. Resistance, RR7 and crappy gundam game ...
RR7 is really too old franchise with nothing new, Resistance is a FPS and gundam is too bad.

The "low" sells of zelda and wario shows that japanese gamers don't want old things.
The DS really own the market and leads the tastes of the new audience. If the ps3 keep having the same franchise a the ps2 with no realy big improvement in order to create new interrest in gaming, the sells will not grow up even with a price drop. They did not succeed on doing it with the psp.
They must create a new license who shows that the horsepower of ps3 is used to have new experience in gaming.

If the ps3 was launched when the ps2 was the most popular gaming device in japan, they could have relied on the brand name, but now, all the focus is on nintendo and the DS and nearly no one cares about the strong ps2 who belong to the past.

(that's true only for japan, in europe ans USA the ps2 is still very strong and the price has more to do if the ps3 fails)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
MrSardonic said:
I asked ioi for early M-C data relating to PS2, GC, GBA, etc, but he refused to share it with me.
In other words, the numbers he states are being pulled out of his arse?

Continuing at this week's rates indefinitely, DS and PSP meet up in 52.8 weeks (January 25, 2008) at 21,314,775 units apiece.

Total YTD sales remain high compared to last year (up 105%); largely due to Wii sales and DS being in greater supply.

Wii's LTD appears to be about what GameCube's was early April of 2002.

I'm sure I can notice more useless stats later, but it's Stewart/Colbert time.

aloof said:
Once a few good JP games release for PS3, expect it to regain its stranglehold on the Japanese market.
Regain? The biggest stranglehold it ever had was 30% of hardware sales its launch week.

DeaconKnowledge said:
And if those 2chan HW numbers are true, then Gears didn't even boost the hardware sales for the week.

Given how quickly Gears sold out, though, there wouldn't be any copies available for new 360 users, so of course it's not going to increase 360 hardware sales. The ~30,000 copies available in Japan were all snapped up by the existing 360 owners. Once a second shipment arrives, then we'll see if it manages to lure in any new 360 buyers.

Fio

Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire Pokemon.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Continuing at this week's rates indefinitely, DS and PSP meet up in 52.8 weeks (January 25, 2008) at 21,314,775 units apiece.

PS2?

Battersea Power Station said:

It was some Sony guy (Harrison?) talking about the DS's audience around the launch of the PSP. Obviously, he was stupid.

Greenpanda said:
Given how quickly Gears sold out, though, there wouldn't be any copies available for new 360 users, so of course it's not going to increase 360 hardware sales. The ~30,000 copies available in Japan were all snapped up by the existing 360 owners. Once a second shipment arrives, then we'll see if it manages to lure in any new 360 buyers.

Interesting points. It might have serious legs then.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Greenpanda said:
:lol
Seriously disappointing numbers for Sony, especially PS3 software and hardware sales.
X360 hardware sales are about the same as I expected.
Wii and DS are supply constrainted.

Koren

donny2112 said:
It was some Sony guy (Harrison?) talking about the DS's audience around the launch of the PSP. Obviously, he was stupid.
It's Harrison before the launch of PSP in Europe. And it's absolutely funny...

[DS] won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick -- so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that. [...] Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire Pokemon. [...] The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance. Those formats dont appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth.
Yes it is, but not the way he expected ;)

And retrospectively, that WAS arrogant AND stupid :)

Top Bottom