• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
BlindN-Fan said:
:lol

So what exactly did they buy 20,000 Ps3s for? The Wii Play and Wii Sports checks out for Wii..but they seriously can't be buying Ps3s for Blu Ray...right?

They can't afford games, they spent all their money on the PS3.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
PSP:4
PS3: 0

There's much to be said you're losing a battle of SOFTWARE sales to the PSP.

The PSP!

enishi

Dante said:
I don't understand why 360 and PS3 people are at each others throats, as the low sales of HD gaming overall in Japan has been hugely dissapointing, and doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon. PSP sales look good to me also.....I mean since I read all the time what a failure it is.

Some games hitting right target, aka Monster Hunter, Tales series and Metal Gear, definitely help PSP there. If Sony released GT4M (or Crisis Core by SE) in holiday season of 2005, the handheld war in Japan might have been closer.

BlindN-Fan said:

So what exactly did they buy 20,000 Ps3s for? The Wii Play and Wii Sports checks out for Wii..but they seriously can't be buying Ps3s for Blu Ray...right?

Maybe their PS2s broke and they decided to splurge for a futureproof console while retaining backwards compatibility?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PantherLotus said:
mc-LTDs-8.jpg

If we look at this graph in baseball terms, it's clear that Microsoft and Sony are in a safer position. The trajectory of their balls, so to speak, seem more of a home run esque trajectory; whereas the Nintendo one looks more like a pop up fly ball, a hit that is easily catched.

I wouldn't want to be in a position in which my balls fly too high, because they are certain to come crashing down on the pavement.

Pimpwerx

sp0rsk said:
If we look at this graph in baseball terms, it's clear that Microsoft and Sony are in a safer position. The trajectory of their balls, so to speak, seem more of a home run esque trajectory; whereas the Nintendo one looks more like a pop up fly ball, a hit that is easily catched.

I wouldn't want to be in a position in which my balls fly too high, because they are certain to come crashing down on the pavement.

sprsk

enishi said:
Some games hitting right target, aka Monster Hunter, Tales series and Metal Gear, definitely help PSP there. If Sony released GT4M (or Crisis Core by SE) in holiday season of 2005, the handheld war in Japan might have been closer.

Dilly Dally Shilly Shally.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Newzboyz99 said:
Wii 93,708
DSL 89,287
PSP 48,804
PS3 25,531
PS2 22,663
Xbox360 9,035
GBM 1,959
GBASP 1,547
GC 611
GBA 79
DS 41

Not estimates.

My thoughts on these numbers...

Wii 93,708 ... very good, but wish it was higher.
DSL 89,287 ... good, needs to be higher.
PSP 48,804 ... too good, needs to be lower.
PS3 25,531 ... ok, but wish it was lower.
PS2 22,663 ... I'm indifferant.
Xbox360 9,035 ... ok, I guess... but am confident it will go lower. Soon.
GBM 1,959 ... what is this?
GBASP 1,547 ... skip.
GC 611 ... I'm numb, :|
GBA 79 ...skip.
DS 41 ...almost nothing, but that is only b/c of extremely low shipments..

Haunted

BlindN-Fan said:

Brand and potential? I dunno.

sp0rsk said:
:lol :lol

pestul

Gahiggidy said:
My thoughts on these numbers...

Wii 93,708 ... very good, but wish it was higher.
DSL 89,287 ... good, needs to be higher.
PSP 48,804 ... too good, needs to be lower.
PS3 25,531 ... ok, but wish it was lower.
PS2 22,663 ... I'm indifferant.
Xbox360 9,035 ... ok, I guess... but am confident it will go lower. Soon.
GBM 1,959 ... what is this?
GBASP 1,547 ... skip.
GC 611 ... I'm numb, :|
GBA 79 ...skip.
DS 41 ...almost nothing, but that is only b/c of extremely low shipments..
Last weeks numbers dood.. but yeah, same comments would still apply.

sp0rsk said:

Perhaps Nintendo is slowly rising to heaven?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
enishi said:

But still, even with these games hitting the target, they're not increasing the PSP's sales really. They're down from where they were the year before.

sp0rsk said:

Wii Baseball :D

enishi

sp0rsk said:
Dilly Dally Shilly Shally.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not doing damage control :lol Just to show that Sony COULD sell some software on their systems if they do it right only :p

The_Dude

ramses01 said:
The funny thing is you are laughing and 360 is scoring a 25% market share for next gen, with the assumption that the Wi doesn't count as next gen. If I had a said that 2 months after launch and with no supply constraints 1 360 would sell for every 3PS3s, GAF would fainted from oxygen deprivation due to laughter. With an increasing number of games of interest to japanese consumers, the 360 may hit an install base of 1m by the end of the year, which would be a huge victory for MS.
Considering the poor PS3 sales, selling 1 360 for every 3 PS3s isn't really that impressive.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
But still, even with these games hitting the target, they're not increasing the PSP's sales really. They're down from where they were the year before.

But they're up from where they were 3 months ago. I would've figured the high sales of the holidays would've caused a lower demand afterwards. Apparently that's not the case - yet.

sp0rsk said:
Well, so much for the 360 surge.

PS3 sales are low, and yes, you can find them pretty easily here. I was in a 7/11 (of all places) last night where they had them in stock.

I'm not entirely surprised by these numbers. GOW selling mostly to the current userbase seemed pretty obvious and the Wii continuing to sell was a given. Nintendo needs to get a couple more hits out there though. Nintendogs had Brain training and then Animal Crossing to follow it up; Wii doesn't have those kinds of titles coming in the near future.

Its coming, its coming just give them time. We already know there is a Brain Training Wii, in development, and after all the money they made from all the DS training games I am sure the budget is a lot higher than previously (Not TP levels but relatively more than DS counterparts). Also people said that BT games may not translate into success on a home console, and they could be right in thinking that, but I feel that what Nintendogs and BT did to DS, Wii Sports is to Wii. Especially in Japan where it isn't bundled. And the obvious Wii play, and Wario Ware: SM. I think there is also Animal Crossing being planned or is that rumor only.

Don't doubt Iwata, you will say "wow". If anyone I am sure you know this already though.:)

sprsk

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I hope you weren't as high up as the Wii, or you'll go crashing down to the pavement.
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

You're bringing me dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn, man.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sp0rsk said:

Of course if that fly ball trajectory goes higher than expected, that ball has a better chance of leaving the park completely whereas the other balls would simply go into the stands, maybe hit the upper decks if they're lucky...of course the wind might hit any of the balls and they can just die on the warning track.

Top post updated with software 31-50:

31 NDS Nintendo Jump Ultimate Stars
32 PS2 Broccoli Meitantei Evangelion
33 PS2 Sega Yakuza 2
34 PSP Bandai-Namco Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
35 NDS Shougaku-kan DS Yama Method Math Drills
36 NDS Bandai-Namco Heisei Education Committee DS
37 NDS Sega Puyo-Puyo
38 NDS Nintendo Tetris DS
39 NDS Nintendo Cooking Navi
40 WII Bandai-Namco Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
41 WII Pokemon Pokemon Battle Revolution
42 NDS Square-Enix Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
43 NDS Square-Enix Final Fantasy III (bundle)
44 PS2 Square-Enix Seiken Densetsu 4
45 NDS Bandai-Namco Tamagotchi no Puchi-Puchi Omisecchi Gohiiki ni
46 NDS Sega Mysterious Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS
47 PS2 Hudson Momotarou Dentetsu 16
48 PSP Konami World Soccer Winning Eleven 10: Ubiquitous Evolution
49 NDS Capcom Mega Man Star Force: Pegasus
50 GBA Square-Enix Final Fantasy VI Advance

sprsk

the thoroughbred said:
Its coming, its coming just give them time. We already know there is a Brain Training Wii, in development, and after all the money they made from all the DS training games I am sure the budget is a lot higher than previously (Not TP levels but relatively more than DS counterparts). Also people said that BT games may not translate into success on a home console, and they could be right in thinking that, but I feel that what Nintendogs and BT did to DS, Wii Sports is to Wii. Especially in Japan where it isn't bundled. And the obvious Wii play, and Wario Ware: SM. I think there is also Animal Crossing being planned or is that rumor only.

Don't doubt Iwata, you will say "wow". If anyone I am sure you know this already though.:)

I'm not saying they need Brain Training, I'm saying they need a Brain Training (esque game) to follow up Wii Sports. It could be Wii Music for all we know, but if I recall correctly that doesn't come till summer. Metroid Prime sure as hell won't be a system seller here, so what else do they have coming in the next 3 months that has the same mass appeal as Wii Sports?

Note: I left out Wii Play because people are just buying it for the controller.

Super Paper Mario
Mario Party 8
Wii Music
Wii Fitness (?)
Big Brain Academy Wii
Dragon Quest Swords

Could come in Japan between March and June (basically March + Q2). And maybe new colors for the Wii if Nintendo wants to do that. So they should be OK. Wii Sports and Wii Play look like they will sell for a long, long while.

I think Wii Fitness will be the next big thing that Nintendo really focuses on.

sp0rsk said:

I know he's kidding, or not, but it's a valid point, Wii sales are unsustainable. Everybodies sales are dropping right now ( 'cept of course the freakish DS sales monster ) but I don't see the Wii maintaining it's 2 to 1 or better sales ratio against the PS3 when you look at the each consoles upcoming releases.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I am definitely shocked at the PS3, I figured there'd be enough early adopters to sell a couple million in japan before the price caused any problems.

I think that the lack of appealing games to the actual japanese gamers has more to do with the crappy sales.

If wii sells it's not beacause it's cheaper but because it has wii sports and wii play who is perfect for actual japanese taste.

The HW sales of the ps3 would not be good with a lower price.

ramses01 said:
The funny thing is you are laughing and 360 is scoring a 25% market share for next gen, with the assumption that the Wi doesn't count as next gen. If I had a said that 2 months after launch and with no supply constraints 1 360 would sell for every 3PS3s, GAF would fainted from oxygen deprivation due to laughter. With an increasing number of games of interest to japanese consumers, the 360 may hit an install base of 1m by the end of the year, which would be a huge victory for MS.

The even funnier thing is you're assuming that Wii doesn't count as next gen. 360 and PS3 this week in Japan is like watching two retarded kids fighting, then the winner crowning themselves the UFC champion.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wonderdave said:
I know he's kidding, or not, but it's a valid point, Wii sales are unsustainable. Everybodies sales are dropping right now ( 'cept of course the freakish DS sales monster ) but I don't see the Wii maintaining it's 2 to 1 or better sales ratio against the PS3 when you look at the each consoles upcoming releases.
The DS says otherwise...

sp0rsk said:
DQS could be a big hit. Isn't that Q2 though?

And Super Paper Mario will be splashing onto the market in the same timeframe - and considering New Super Mario's success, that game could potentially have long legs, too, especially if positioned as the "next major 2d Mario game" to attract some of the DS audience over.

sp0rsk said:
I'm not saying they need Brain Training, I'm saying they need a Brain Training (esque game) to follow up Wii Sports. It could be Wii Music for all we know, but if I recall correctly that doesn't come till summer. Metroid Prime sure as hell won't be a system seller here, so what else do they have coming in the next 3 months that has the same mass appeal as Wii Sports?

Note: I left out Wii Play because people are just buying it for the controller.

One thing is for sure: we don't know what Nintendo has up its sleeve as the next big "non-gamer" craze. I don't think anyone would have guessed Brain Training and Animal Crossing would become the massive hits they have. While both games should translate well on the Wii (better than Pokemon imo), there's going to be those 2-3 games that come out of nowhere and sell 1 million.

We already kind of know about some sort of exercising game, but what else could there be?

Branduil

ramses01 said:

It's even better if you don't count the PS3! After all, it's made in Japan, so it doesn't count, right? 360 HAS 100% NEXT-GEN MARKETSHARE IN JAPAN WOW!

Super Paper Mario and DQ Swords should be hits. Mario Party is also generally a big franchise in Japan. But watch out for Wii Fitness. I think Nintendo is going to really push that as their next big franchise.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
sp0rsk said:
DQS could be a big hit. Isn't that Q2 though?

Everything I'm hearing is April.

And it WILL be a big hit. Bigger than people are thinking at this point. Like, a million in sales big.

PhoenixDark said:
One thing is for sure: we don't know what Nintendo has up its sleeve as the next big "non-gamer" craze. I don't think anyone would have guessed Brain Training and Animal Crossing would become the massive hits they have. While both games should translate well on the Wii (better than Pokemon imo), there's going to be those 2-3 games that come out of nowhere and sell 1 million.

We already kind of know about some sort of exercising game, but what else could there be?

Confirmed to be in development

Wii Fitness
Wii Motor Sports
Wii Music

Some kind of Wii Quiz/Party game where you hand the controller around and it calls out your name through the speaker, giving you hints (per Mr. Miyamoto) was also confirmed. So that's four right there, and probably even more that we don't know about (Wii Karaoke, Wii Sports 2, etc.) also.

I think Nintendo is readying for another big "Easter" offensive. Mario Party 8, Big Brain Academy, and DQ Swords should be ready to go by Q2 2007 as well ... so it certainly seems like it.

Link1110

DSL 127,647
Wii 86,395
PSP 37,032
PS3 21,105
PS2 20,169
Xbox360 7,041
GBM 1,864
GBASP 1,498
GC 554
DS 123
GBA 94

GreenNight said:
wii motor sports?
That'll probably be Top 10 but not major legs. Excite Truck is doing better than I expected though.

Wii Music could be big but Wii Fitness will probably be the bigger hit out of the 3. Animal Crossing likely won't come out till 2008.

EphemeralDream said:
That'll probably be Top 10 but not major legs. Excite Truck is doing better than I expected though.

Wii Music could be big but Wii Fitness will probably be the bigger hit out of the 3. Animal Crossing likely won't come out till 2008.

Its hard to say whats going to have legs now. Look at some of the crazy shit thats been in the top 10 for the past year.

sprsk

PhoenixDark said:

Yes, but the thing is, Nintendo only has games we know won't sell in the pipeline(aside from Brain Training, I guess). Games are tested to not really do well in this market. What Nintendo needs, and what I'm talking about is new IPs like Wii Sports.

It's funny, in a market that is so heavy on emphasizing the power of the sequel, Nintendo seems to be proving that new IP's are what people want.

Smash Bros. Brawl in November then Animal Crossing 24/7 or Wii Sports 2 in late December for Japan actually wouldn't be that bad at all. Nintendo usually has one big game in Japan for November, then another big one right sometime in December.

AniHawk

I want to see more of Wii Music (out of all the possible Wii _____ titles). It sounds like an interesting demo, but I'm not sure it'd translate that well into a full non-game or game.

I wonder if they might translate some of the ideas from Band Brothers to Wii Music.

I'm wouldn't mind seeing more of Wii Motor Sports. Seems like the Pilotwings part of it could make it worthwhile alone.

Lapsed

Banned
When a disruption strategy works, not only does the disruptor product sales go up, but the competitors' become marginalized. It is too early to say that this is happening with the PS3, but it is a fair possibility.

I think we can put to bed the ideas that the console market revolves around brand name and 'better' technology. I suppose Japanese didn't listen to Kutaragi when he said the PS3 must be bought because "it is the only PS3". (!)

Let's have a quote from Reggie:

Reggie said:
“According to Famitsu, over the most recent 6 months period, nine of the top ten selling games in total on any platform, are playable only on Nintendo DS. This is a tangible result of new players flooding the marketplace.

The same audience expansion goal forms the strategic foundation for Wii. For us, changing the central dynamic of this industry isn’t just an option. It’s a mandate.

In any visual artform, typically, the eyes have it. What you see constitutes the greatest appeal. But games are different. They’re interactive, and that brings an equal force into the equation; a sense of touch. Our answer was a paradigm shift, from sight to touch.”

If the market follows through with the paradigm shift, from sight to touch as the Wii and DS represent, then game entertainment based around sight will naturally become marginalized.

Top Bottom