• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

ElyrionX

D.Lo said:
So MS's multi-millions spent buying games and devs was worth it for a slight gain? Double 1% is still only 2%.

Your view is way too short-term. In Japan, you can't expect MS to sell a million consoles overnight. But based on the figures in this thread, we can see MS's slow but steady momentum that is creeping into Sony's market share. All of these represent the various tiny steps that will invariably add up in the long run.

If those unconfirmed HW figures are true for the PS3, MS will definitely have a shot at doing decently in Japan this gen.

ElyrionX said:
If those unconfirmed HW figures are true for the PS3, MS will definitely have a shot at doing decently in Japan this gen.

I think a problem here is our differing definitions of 'decent'.

ElyrionX said:
Your view is way too short-term. In Japan, you can't expect MS to sell a million consoles overnight. But based on the figures in this thread, we can see MS's slow but steady momentum that is creeping into Sony's market share. All of these represent the various tiny steps that will invariably add up in the long run.

You've gotta be kidding me.

This is a snails pace. One title that scratches the top 10 every couple of months isn't go to do anything for Microsoft long term.

Gears selling 30k isn't going to open some magical floodgate for development, especially with the Wii and DS kicking so much ass. Hell, developers would sooner gravitate to the PSP or GBA than tackle an MS system in Japan without some SERIOUS incentive, and a 30k software sell through for a multi-million dollar budgeted game surely isn't it.

This is like MS taking the first step up Everest. It's nice, but let's be real here.

Zefah said:
I think he meant that the Xbox 360 may reach 500k total units sold this year. They need about 130,000 (?) more units to reach that, so it is possible. Actually its quite likely.

Eh. With GoW barely helping the 360 breaching 5 digits, it'll be close. What other major games will be out on the 360 that the Japanese will be receptive to this year? I think software will do very little to aid 360 sales over there. With two major games, Blue Dragon and Lost Planet, out during the shopping season, the 360 barely got decent numbers.

On a side note, it's sort of sad that we're debating whether or not the 360 can do 500K in a year...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rancid Mildew said:
Eh. With GoW barely helping the 360 breaching 5 digits, it'll be close. What other major games will be out on the 360 that the Japanese will be receptive to this year? I think software will do very little to aid 360 sales over there. With two major games, Blue Dragon and Lost Planet, out during the shopping season, the 360 barely got decent numbers.

On a side note, it's sort of sad that we're debating whether or not the 360 can do 500K in a year...

They only need to sell a little more than 10,000 units a month to reach 500k within the year. They are currently selling around 10,000 units a week so its quite likely that they will reach 500k without too much of a problem in my opinion. There isn't a whole lot announced for 2007 yet that I can recall, but stuff like Lost Odyssey will no doubt help sales.

I anticipate a lot of stuff to get announced in the following months as well.

ElyrionX

DeaconKnowledge said:
You've gotta be kidding me.

This is a snails pace. One title that scratches the top 10 every couple of months isn't go to do anything for Microsoft long term.

Like I said, it all adds up. Consumers' perception of the 360 MAY change very gradually over the long term as more titles like BD, Lost Odyssey, Idolmaster and maybe even Gears hit the system. Bear in mind that all that I have said thus far took into account the fact that Sony's position in the NA and Japan market is apparently not as strong as it was last gen and not as strong as it should be this gen. Sony's weakness may present a great opportunity for Microsoft to gain some headway in Japan.

ElyrionX said:
Like I said, it all adds up. Consumers' perception of the 360 MAY change very gradually over the long term as more titles like BD, Lost Odyssey, Idolmaster and maybe even Gears hit the system. Bear in mind that all that I have said thus far took into account the fact that Sony's position in the NA and Japan market is apparently not as strong as it was last gen and not as strong as it should be this gen. Sony's weakness may present a great opportunity for Microsoft to gain some headway in Japan.

If this were a two horse race I may agree with you. But the DS and Wii put up a huge obstacle for MS.

Draft

Can't you Nintendo trolls let the Xboys enjoy themselves a bit? Damn ya'll are some bullies. Like walking past some kid drumming buckets in the street and screaming, "WELL YOU SURE AREN'T THE PHILHARMONIC!"

We all know your horse owns literally the entire island of Japan, OK? And you don't need to get all down on the prototypical Xbox Bald Space Marine Murder Simulator breaking the top 10, OK? It's a big deal for us, alright? We all know Nintendo sells 30k copies of Mario Party Ware: Ruby 8 every second, but success can be a relative thing. Journey of a thousand miles, all that shit.

I know most of you went a little crazy during the PSX/PS2 years, but goddamn, show a little decorum.

Taurus

Error2k4 said:
PS3 21k? wow if that's true.
I'd say WOW instead of just wow. I'm very curious to see next NPD charts 'cause of all the reports of PS3's sitting on shelves in US. This week's 21k for PS3 (if true) confirms that in Japan it actually is true.

Scotch

Draft said:
Can't you Nintendo trolls let the Xboys enjoy themselves a bit? Damn ya'll are some bullies. Like walking past some kid drumming buckets in the street and screaming, "WELL YOU SURE AREN'T THE PHILHARMONIC!"

We all know your horse owns literally the entire island of Japan, OK? And you don't need to get all down on the prototypical Xbox Bald Space Marine Murder Simulator breaking the top 10, OK? It's a big deal for us, alright? We all know Nintendo sells 30k copies of Mario Party Ware: Ruby 8 every second, but success can be a relative thing. Journey of a thousand miles, all that shit.

I know most of you went a little crazy during the PSX/PS2 years, but goddamn, show a little decorum.
Well said.

Draft said:

Was this serious?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
And someones startin to go crazy durin the DSL/Wii years. I think you need to settle down Draft. They're doin what GAF always does in sales thread. Debate.

Draft said:

How the hell is calling a spade a spade "trolling"? I don't know about you, but when I enter a sales thread I check my feelings at the door. Sorry if you are mortally offended by someone stating the obvious, but that whole rant makes you look like a damn crybaby.

I don't see why anybody should pat heads and say "that's very nice Microsoft, good work!" We're all grown here (I assume) and should be able to take criticism, especially if it's the truth.

Draft said:

fotr12283sb.jpg

"31,000 wtf. Cliffy can't pay his bills and I can't brag anymore"

fotr12336jr.jpg

"Lol 1 million more polygons and 1 million less sales."

fotr12328yt.jpg

"For Christ sakes give us a break for one minute"

fotr12317ma.jpg

"Leave the breaks to the 360. Oh wait it already did lol"

fotr12341gl.jpg

"..."

Draft

Shaheed79 said:
And someones startin to go crazy durin the DSL/Wii years. I think you need to settle down Draft. They're doin what GAF always does in sales thread. Debate.
Do you even think? What do the DSL/Wii years have to do with Xbox? It sold like shit during the well basically it sold like shit forever until it died. There is nowhere to go but up, and now it looks like the brand is taking those first tentative steps towards niche success. The Xbox is like an addict that just threw away its needle, man, and it needs support, not a bunch of douchebags with Pokeboners shitting on every little thing it does right, no matter how insignificant they may be in the shadow of Kyoto. A little less hate and a little more motivate, you know what I mean?

Unison

Draft said:

Isn't 360 still behind what the Xbox did in Japan? Wasn't that considered a flop? Why should another flop be celebrated just because it could be flopping more?

PhoenixDark said:
fotr12283sb.jpg

fotr12336jr.jpg

fotr12328yt.jpg

fotr12317ma.jpg

fotr12341gl.jpg

"..."

Highly geeky and nitpicky, but if you replaced "Christ's sake" with "Pity's sake" it would be IL PERFECTO!!! That was always one of my favorite bits to quote from the movie.

"By nightfall, these hills will be swarming with Wii!!"

Draft said:

What happened exactly ?

maxmars

Draft said:
The Xbox is like an addict that just threw away its needle, man, and it needs support, not a bunch of douchebags with Pokeboners shitting on every little thing it does right, no matter how insignificant they may be in the shadow of Kyoto. A little less hate and a little more motivate, you know what I mean?

I think you're taking all this a bit too personally.

Draft said:
Do you even think? What do the DSL/Wii years have to do with Xbox? It sold like shit during the well basically it sold like shit forever until it died. There is nowhere to go but up, and now it looks like the brand is taking those first tentative steps towards niche success. The Xbox is like an addict that just threw away its needle, man, and it needs support, not a bunch of douchebags with Pokeboners shitting on every little thing it does right, no matter how insignificant they may be in the shadow of Kyoto. A little less hate and a little more motivate, you know what I mean?

Yeah, we know what you mean:

ronaldo-crying.jpg

There there, it's ok.

Draft

Unison said:
Isn't 360 still behind what the Xbox did in Japan? Wasn't that considered a flop? Why should another flop be celebrated just because it could be flopping more?
Yes.

BUT!

It's getting software into the top 10 on the regular now. Which is pretty good wouldn't you agree?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Pud said:
Well, it sold 4 million in Japan, so it's a non-game (God that has to be the stupidest GAF term ever). When Gears reaches the 4 million plateau, it will be a non-game too, right? :D And damnit, why don't I live in SF for some free beer? :lol
Actually no, a game becomes a non-game if it's the combination of:
* DS platform
* At or above a million sales in Japan
Smiles and Cries said:
OMG the colors! I forgot about that, I wonder if colors gives a boost on hardware sales on the console side as it does in portables
I don't know if it would boost hardware sales, but I know I'll buy a black Wii when it's released, even though I already have a white one :/

Please nintendo, never release a black Wii :/
Zefah said:
They only need to sell a little more than 10,000 units a month to reach 500k within the year. They are currently selling around 10,000 units a week so its quite likely that they will reach 500k without too much of a problem in my opinion. There isn't a whole lot announced for 2007 yet that I can recall, but stuff like Lost Odyssey will no doubt help sales.

I anticipate a lot of stuff to get announced in the following months as well.
Dude, they're selling 10k units/week with 3 huge (for the X360) releases back to back! (BD, LO and now GoW)
And even then, they only actually hit 10k on game release week for two out of these 3 games, and the games have no legs!
DeaconKnowledge said:
And if those 2chan HW numbers are true, then Gears didn't even boost the hardware sales for the week.
They prevented the X360 going back to its regular 3k/week pace. That counts.
Draft said:
Is there anything wrong with that?
I do it all the time...
not
PhoenixDark said:
fotr12283sb.jpg

fotr12336jr.jpg

fotr12328yt.jpg

fotr12317ma.jpg

fotr12341gl.jpg

"..."
:lol :lol :lol
Draft said:
The Xbox is like an addict that just threw away its needle, man, and it needs support
Nope, it needs an end be put to its misery.

It's suffering dude, show some heart, end this already!
Draft said:
Yes.

BUT!

It's getting software into the top 10 on the regular now. Which is pretty good wouldn't you agree?
Not when they drop out after a week

Unison

Draft said:
Yes.

BUT!

I dunno... Xbox got its killer apps in there. 30,000 sales is hardly amazing.

Obviously Blue Dragon did well, but one can't help but wonder if it will make its money back.

maxmars

Draft said:
Yes.

BUT!

I don't know, much like I think the guys are celebrating a bit early the PS3 demise, I also happen to think that it's early to say that the 360 is "regularly" hitting the top 10. It's done that a few times, yes, but I don't see a trend yet.

Unison said:
I dunno... Xbox got its killer apps in there. 30,000 sales is hardly amazing.

Obviously Blue Dragon did well, but one can't help but wonder if it will make its money back.

Within six months of its US release, I predict.

Unison

BenjaminBirdie said:
Within six months of its US release, I predict.

Big games on 360 always seem to do well (I can't remember a single hyped title that flopped in the USA besides Viva Pinata), but most of them are within pretty tight genre constraints.

It will be interesting to see if the audience for Blur Dragon is much bigger than it was for Enchanted Arms... it likely will be, but who knows.

Draft said:

this is like a reverse troll right? you can't fool me see... I'm watching Memento at the moment its on pause but you can't fool me I see it

birdchili

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
TDo you think that Wii Sports would have been sold the 10% of what it has really sold without Brain Training or Nintendogs or the DS itself ?

absolutely. Wii Sports is a far more compelling idea on the face than Brain Training (not so much for Nintendogs, which tapped into a more obvious market). saying that "the DS leads the way" is fair enough, and the DS obviously informed many Wii business decisions, but saying that Wii couldn't/wouldn't have succeeded on its own without the DS to "prep" the market isn't fair either...

clever paradigm-breaking hardware design, coupled with some zeitgeist-reading software design can sell with some good marketing.

it helps that for several years there has been an uptick in discontent within the enthusiast game press regarding sequelitis, licenced shovelware, and general creative bankruptcy. there may be an expanded demographic buying games/systems, but many of the hardcore were sold on Wii far faster than they were on the DS.

Haunted

Well, I usually wouldn't say this, but Gahigiddy ****ing owned this thread. nice.

Why are the HW numbers kinda late this week?

Smiles and Cries said:
this is like a reverse troll right? you can't fool me see... I'm watching Memento at the moment its on pause but you can't fool me I see it
'don't believe his lies' - great movie.

You know, perhaps i'm getting the point of these media create threads confused.

Are we analyzing the numbers and trends for the consoles, or is it a top ten dick-waving contest?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Draft said:

Ok now your just making me laugh out of my chair. Time to take the riddlin buddy.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Are we analyzing the numbers and trends for the consoles, or is it a top ten dick-waving contest?

Nintedo fans -> dick-waving

MS fans -> happy that 360 is above 10K

Sony fans -> missing, presumed suicidal

CorwinB

DeaconKnowledge said:

For Nintendo fans, it's more of a top 30 dick-waving, those days.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Gahiggidy said:
HOLY SMOKES!! That is AMAZING. 33,212 games were sold?! Rerally? That's not a typo. Unbelievable. But probably true. Congratulatioins to Cliffy B. and the men and women at Microsoft Games Studios. Gears of War's Japanese perfermance is truley remarakable. Wow... just, wow. I'm not too knowledgable about video games sales (or the japanese)... but I know a BIG NUMBER when I see one. and 33, 212 is a very big number. Think about that... thirty-three thousand and two-hundred and twelve japanese people bought Gears of War. That just mind-boggling... it truely is. I mean, how many people even live in Japan? 300,000? Wow. That means one-and-ten Japanesers already owns a copy of "Gears of War" (a sales record?). Just an awesome sales performance for an awesome game. Its scary how well the Xbox 360 has been doing lately. 'SaleScary'!
:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom