• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

Now it will really be interesting to see if Third Parties will start develop some BIG games for the Wii in Japan. I mean, if the userbase of PS3 doesn't grow decently, selling on it FFXIII or DMC4 ot MGS4 would be a suicide.
Developer can do three things:

1) Continue to develop these games only for the PS3 and hope that they'll sell well in occident.
2) Port the games to the Xbox360 to expand the audience and then, the sales of the games.
---> These two point mean that Nintendo will dominate Japan even more then this (is it possible ?!?).
3) Support the Wii too with some BIG franchise. This would be follow the train, like Square-Enix is doing with the Nintendo DS. This is the best option for them to make money in Japan.

Of course, all these suppositions are made thinking that the trend of the market will continue like that in Japan.

this thread is a lot of fun to read if you pretend Dante's posts are from the actual devil may cry character Dante, posting in an effort to aid the system he lives on

Dante

Mike Works said:
this thread is a lot of fun to read if you pretend Dante's posts are from the actual devil may cry character Dante, posting in an effort to aid the system he lives on

EDIT nevermind Your right. :)

909er said:
Wii 87,360
DSL 114,002
PSP 35,274
PS3 21,192
PS2 28,491
Xbox360 10,164

munch.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dante said:
Your pretty clever and funny.......But no not really. :(

BTW not posting behind an alias

1190 Pine St. Apt#102

San Francisco Ca

Tired of hiding behind an alias.

:lol

Flagpole after school?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Now it will really be interesting to see if Third Parties will start develop some BIG games for the Wii in Japan. I mean, if the userbase of PS3 doesn't grow decently, selling on it FFXIII or DMC4 ot MGS4 would be a suicide.
Developer can do three things:

1) Continue to develop these games only for the PS3 and hope that they'll sell well in occident.
2) Port the games to the Xbox360 to expand the audience and then, the sales of the games.
---> These two point mean that Nintendo will dominate Japan even more then this (is it possible ?!?).
3) Support the Wii too with some BIG franchise. This would be follow the train, like Square-Enix is doing with the Nintendo DS. This is the best option for them to make money in Japan.

Of course, all these suppositions are made thinking that the trend of the market will continue like that in Japan.

I think Square-Enix will bring out the big guns for the Wii if it continues to sell like a market leader there. FF7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest X, etc.

Some of the third parties like Konami and Namco that have had a little bit of a tougher time on the DS might be able to do well on the Wii as well. Franchises like Winning Eleven, Silent Hill, Time Crisis, and Soul Calibur can translate more easily to the Wii I think than the DS.

Dante

Zefah said:
:lol

Flagpole after school?

You know what.........You got it.!!! Don't go to the gym everyday foe nothin :)

Meybe too much rum...But what the hell........ It's all in good fun :)

Mifune

Mehmber
And with that, let the meltdowns begin!

Seriously though, the Wii outsold the PSP, PS2, and PS3 COMBINED. That's some crazy sales right there.

Dante

Let's get it on Suckas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI: This is all in good fun. If anyone in the bay area is reading, i's actaully be stoked to hang and consume large amonts of alcohol PM me :)

I def woul'd want to grab a few beers and argue :)

goldenpp72

Who would have thought the ps3 would be barely double the 360 in weekly sales at normal pacing? Wii is like the ps2 of japan

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Eteric Rice said:
Anyone else feel like Sony is actually trying to bomb itself? Because it almost seems intentional

Conspiracy?

Dunno. But sure Kaz Hirai must not be pleased about his "promotion" as president of SCEI :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RSP said:
ok, so who will send me a 33.000yen PS3?

they are regio-free aren't they?

They are buying PS3s for 33,000 Yen, not selling.

So far all PS3 games work on any region PS3 I believe.

Dante

goldenpp72 said:
Who would have thought the ps3 would be barely double the 360 in weekly sales at normal pacing? Wii is like the ps2 of japan

Got a good point.......Still wanna go drinking with you doubters in SF :)

Pud said:

The thing that make me laugh about these guys in this interview is that they continue to believe that Nintendo will be a distant Third in the race.
This, in my opinion, is really unlikely. In don't say that Nintendo will win, no, but I think too that they have to read how's going the Wii in entire world, and overall in Japan, before classify them as the undeedog again. And this is another thing that remind me the N64's post launch era: people and analysts still though that Nintendo would have won the war. The problem is that the market was already changed.

The difference between the Playstation's era and today is that we have the example of Nintendo DS. Ok, now you'll say the the handheld market is different from the console one. This is true, but not completely true, because it is a fact that Nintendo DS has changed the market first and that games like Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling very well because of that. Do you think that Wii Sports would have been sold the 10% of what it has really sold without Brain Training or Nintendogs or the DS itself ?

Nintendo has already done the biggest part of the work with the DS. Now the Wii is only an extension of the same philosophy for the same expanded market.

Is this only the begin ?

Eteric Rice

Smiles and Cries said:
question is can the PS3 make a comeback in Japan and shut GAF up like the DS did a few years back?

Didn't the DS only lag for like a month or so behind the PSP?

I don't even remember anymore.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eteric Rice said:

No it was a while, until about Easter when Nintendogs came out.

Is Afrika even coming out ... like anytime soon? Japan is actually Nintendogs' lowest selling territory by a huge margin. I think it "only" sold 1 million in Japan or thereabouts, while it's done an insane 4-5 million in Europe by comparision.

farnham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The thing that make me laugh about these guys in this interview is that they continue to believe that Nintendo will be a distant Third in the race.
This, in my opinion, is really unlikely. In don't say that Nintendo will win, no, but I think too that they have to read how's going the Wii in entire world, and overall in Japan, before classify them as the undeedog again. And this is another thing that remind me the N64's post launch era: people and analysts still though that Nintendo would have won the war. The problem is that the market was already changed.

The difference between the Playstation's era and today is that we have the example of Nintendo DS. Ok, now you'll say the the handheld market is different from the console one. This is true, but not completely true, because it is a fact that Nintendo DS has changed the market first and that games like Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling very well because of that. Do you think that Wii Sports would have been sold the 10% of what it has really sold without Brain Training or Nintendogs or the DS itself ?

Nintendo has already done the biggest part of the work with the DS. Now the Wii is only an extension of the same philosophy for the same expanded market.

Is this only the begin ?

well we saw what happened in Japan right..

Nintendo is owning japan right now..

and even if they dont do that well in NA... japanese companies will support the Wii..

Also i think europe has the tendency to love wacky concepts (donkey Konga, DS and Eyetoy were huge here) so i think europe will love the wii too..

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
Is Afrika even coming out ... like anytime soon? Japan is actually Nintendogs' lowest selling territory by a huge margin. I think it "only" sold 1 million in Japan or thereabouts, while it's done an insane 4-5 million in Europe by comparision.

Sony needs to show Afrika Nintendo's Pokemans.

farnham

Banned
soundwave05 said:

i wonder if other non games in line of wii sports, nintendogs and brainage will hit foreign markets

DS dictionary, Interactive cooking software and Common Knowledge Training for example.. (with the exception of DS dictionary.. those were huge sellers in japan)

farnham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
EDIT: this article if dated ot 6 August 2006. Now I understand all. You posted really an unanwendbare feature.

aber tauglich eines analogen rueckschlusses auf the stupidity of IGN editors:lol

Mario Kart DS at 2 million as well. Jump Ultimate Stars should surpass 800k, if not a million depending on its legs as well.

This market is more like this -- once you have momenteum it just snowballs, and suddenly everything starts to go right. On the flipside, when it rains, it pours.

soundwave05 said:
Mario Kart DS at 2 million as well. Jump Ultimate Stars should surpass 800k, if not a million depending on its legs as well.

This market is more like this -- once you have momenteum it just snowballs, and suddenly everything starts to go right. On the flipside, when it rains, it pours.

Pretty much.

Pud

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
EDIT: this article if dated ot 6 August 2006. Now I understand all. You posted really an unanwendbare feature.

It's really funny to see the entire world (including GAF) say the exact same things about the DS a couple years back... then get owned... then say the exact same things about the Wii. Will IGN editors (and GAF) get owned again? :lol

Taurus

Magicpaint said:
So why is New Super Mario Bros a 4 million seller? With Kirby closing in on the million mark, too? :p
Didn't you get the note? NSMB became officially a non-game last month. Why? No idea, but we were told so.

Pud

Banned
Taurus said:
Didn't you get the note? NSMB became officially a non-game last month. Why? No idea, but we were told so.

Well, it sold 4 million in Japan, so it's a non-game (God that has to be the stupidest GAF term ever). When Gears reaches the 4 million plateau, it will be a non-game too, right? :D And damnit, why don't I live in SF for some free beer? :lol

CorwinB

Taurus said:

NSMB officially became a non-game one week after it came out, IIRC. Non-game status is the new platinum for the DS.

Eteric Rice said:

The DS lagged for months but since they had a head start they still kept the lead over the PSP and then started to sell better during something GAF called "Easter" (which has not ended yet) and Nintendogs

Sony needs to kill off* the PS2 and PSP it seems they are sucking the hell out of PS3's potential base

(* something they will never do)

I am not sure what will do it for the PS3
The Wii has not even gotten off the ground yet, can't wait to see what causes the Wii to skyrocket

farnham

Banned
soundwave05 said:

Jump Ultimate Stars.. the new nongame..?

Pud

Banned
Bo130 said:
Well, no, it's not for DS or Wii.

Ahhh, so I understand now. It's all Nintendo's doing. Only on a Nintendo system can software exist that is killing gaming as we know it, because it... sells well... to a diverse userbase... right... Paging drohne or Drinky Cow? :lol

farnham said:
aber tauglich eines analogen rueckschlusses auf the stupidity of IGN editors:lol

Die Leute von IGN sind vielleicht blöd, aber man sollte auch ein bisschen schauen, ob die Artikel alt oder nicht ist.

Anyway, it is my fault too, because I had to verify this by myself.

Top Bottom