• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 15 - 21

CorwinB

Smiles and Cries said:
The DS lagged for months but since they had a head start they still kept the lead over the PSP and then started to sell better during something GAF called "Easter" (which has not ended yet) and Nintendogs

Technically, Easter ended in January 2006 when shortages after the insane holiday period caused the PSP to surpass the DS for one or two weeks. Easter 2 came after that.

apujanata

Pud said:
It's really funny to see the entire world (including GAF) say the exact same things about the DS a couple years back... then get owned... then say the exact same things about the Wii. Will IGN editors (and GAF) get owned again? :lol

Looking back at Japan's sales, DS LTD was never behind PSP LTD. Starting from Jan 17, 2005, until April 17, 2005 (about 3 full month), DS weekly sales are about 50% of PSP weekly sales. After April 18, 2005, DS started to do about 50% more than PSP, every week, on average.

So I don't notice that there is a big possibility of Wii vs PS3 to repeat DS vs PSP, because :
- Wii's LTD are always bigger than PS3 (so far).
- Price difference between Wii and PS3 are much bigger (percentage and actual amount) compared to DS vs PSP.

It is a different story in US, but that is a story that should be discussed only on NPD thread, not M-create thread.

I wonder what NCL has planned in Japan for Q2 2007 ("Easter time") in Japan. Are they going to take it up a notch? Though arguably the Wii is probably already ahead of the DS this early in its life in that it already has its "Nintendogs" in Wii Sports.

Perhaps black + pink Wii models sometime in Q2 with Wii Music + Wii Fitness + Super Paper Mario + Mario Party 8 + and maybe Dragon Quest Swords ftw?

CorwinB said:
Technically, Easter ended in January 2006 when shortages after the insane holiday period caused the PSP to surpass the DS for one or two weeks. Easter 2 came after that.

We don't count shortages to be fair to the PSP and Sony.
I'm sure the Wii had shortages in Japan last week, it would not be fair to the PS3 if we took that into consideration

can you imagine not being able to sell your products while your competitor has no supply on the shelves?

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
I wonder what NCL has planned in Japan for Q2 2007 ("Easter time") in Japan. Are they going to take it up a notch? Though arguably the Wii is probably already ahead of the DS this early in its life in that it already has its "Nintendogs" in Wii Sports.

Perhaps black + pink Wii models sometime in Q2 with Wii Music + Wii Fitness + Super Paper Mario + Mario Party 8 + and maybe Dragon Quest Swords ftw?

RE Umbrella Chronicles? :D

If that's a real RE it should outsell RE5. :lol

Smiles and Cries said:
We don't count shortages to be fair to the PSP and Sony.
I'm sure the Wii had shortages in Japan last week, it would not be fair to the PS3 if we took that into consideration

can you imagine not being able to sell your products while your competitor has no supply on the shelves?

How about we put it this way then ... the DS won the handheld race by the winter shopping season of 2006 in Japan (the slam dunk at the tail end of a turn around which began around the infamous "Easter" period).

soundwave05 said:

OMG the colors! I forgot about that, I wonder if colors gives a boost on hardware sales on the console side as it does in portables

maxmars

Smiles and Cries said:
Sony needs to kill off* the PS2 and PSP it seems they are sucking the hell out of PS3's potential base

(* something they will never do)

Third Pillar. If Wii was not around, it would even work.

Smiles and Cries said:
OMG the colors! I forgot about that, I wonder if colors gives a boost on hardware sales on the console side as it does in portables

Yeah. The GCN actually got different colors a lot earlier on (orange spice and black in time for the Smash Bros. release IIRC). Mr. Miyamoto said they would do different colors, but after launch, so that people wouldn't wait around for a certain color.

If/when they do a Famicom colored Wii (perhaps with Super Mario Bros. included in the flas RAM) ... look out.

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'd think DS would become an RPG central for a good number of games.
Technically, it already is with all the SE RPGs that are coming out for it, not to mention DQ9 of all titles.

Yeah. The GCN actually got different colors a lot earlier on (orange spice and black in time for the Smash Bros. release IIRC). Mr. Miyamoto said they would do different colors, but after launch, so that people wouldn't wait around for a certain color.

I'm sure Iwata and co. have it planned to the point where sales start leveling off, they'll start to release the different colors and special editions with their AAA games like a SMG Wii or a SSBB Wii.

soundwave05 said:

I wanted a spice cube :)

I don't even think Nintendo can produce enough Wiis now so colors may not come until next year.

I think different colors will come sometime in the late spring/summer for Japan, then those will be availible for North America/Europe in the fall. If I had to guess, I think they probably have a ton of projects that they have not publically shown off yet (Wii Fitness, Karaoke, Party, Family, Wii Sports 2, etc.). These types of games can be developed by smaller teams.

soundwave05 said:
I think different colors will come sometime in the late spring/summer for Japan, then those will be availible for North America/Europe in the fall. If I had to guess, I think they probably have a ton of projects that they have not publically shown off yet (Wii Fitness, Karaoke, Party, Family, etc.).
yeah I think Nintendo must have tons of software in the works I wish we had an E3 this year at least we would know when to expect the first look at them.

GDC!! :D

The only projects we know that the centeral EAD group has in development are Wii Motor Sports, Wii Music, and Animal Crossing 24/7. Wii Motor Sports and Wii Music might even be close to being done by now.

Mr. Miyamoto did cryptically talk about some type of game where the remote is passed around to people and gives each person a hint/clue or something ... Wii Party? Wii Get Together?

Limited Edition Famicom Wii the week Smash Bros. Brawl launches would be a pretty good idea too.

Eteric Rice

I never knew who Atlus was until the DS. If you'd asked me, I'd say "WTF, who are you talking about?"

Now, I'm all like, "OMG CONTACT, TRAUMA CENTER, etc"

I hope the Wii gets some RPGs too... And hell, some nice RTS games would be great.

Eteric Rice said:
I never knew who Atlus was until the DS. If you'd asked me, I'd say "WTF, who are you talking about?"

Someday, somewhere, when you least expect it, I will get you.

It won't be today. It won't be tomorrow, or this week or this month either. It might not even be this year.

But one day, when you're minding your own business, when all seems right in your world...
I will get you.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Die Leute von IGN sind vielleicht blöd, aber man sollte auch ein bisschen schauen, ob die Artikel alt oder nicht ist.

Anyway, it is my fault too, because I had to verify this by myself.
Ack, bad german makes my head hurt.
If those HW numbers are true I don't know what to say really. Of course sales can pick up with the right titles being released to spark interest but if this trend continues...

Eteric Rice

Pureauthor said:
Someday, somewhere, when you least expect it, I will get you.

It won't be today. It won't be tomorrow, or this week or this month either. It might not even be this year.

But one day, when you're minding your own business, when all seems right in your world...
I will get you.

I love Atlus now. Why do you want to kill me? D:

Sonysan.jpg

Cant wait for real numbers.

Farmboy

soundwave05 said:
Is Afrika even coming out ... like anytime soon? Japan is actually Nintendogs' lowest selling territory by a huge margin. I think it "only" sold 1 million in Japan or thereabouts, while it's done an insane 4-5 million in Europe by comparision.

QFT. It's kinda funny that Nintendogs is cited as the game that turned it all around for the DS in the Japan. To an extent, that's even true: it was the right (non-)game at the right time. But compared to international sales it's not that big a dea. And compared to Japanese sales of stuff like Brain Training 1 & 2, NSMB, Animal Crossing, Pokémon and even Mario Kart DS, it looks like a mere also-ran, more in the range of Tamagotchi, Jump Ultimate Stars and FFIII. Did the Dalmations 'rerelease' ever make it over there? If not, I think that'd be a smart move for Nintendo, even (or especially) now.

On topic: I've long thought that the Wii would follow in the DS' footsteps in terms of sales success in Japan, but who could have predicted the total meltdown of the PS3? It's early days yet I suppose, but wow.

Bo130

Farmboy said:
Did the Dalmations 'rerelease' ever make it over there? If not, I think that'd be a smart move for Nintendo, even (or especially) now.

No, it didn't. And I agree with you, it's so obvious that they need to release it over there as well.

EDIT: Well, not 'need', but they would at least gain from it :p

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
If those unconfirmed HW numbers are right then GoW has had no impact on X360 HW sales. GoW might sell ~60-80k though, which is alright, for an X360 game. However, it doesn't seem to be indicative of anything unusual for the Xbox brand in Japan - the most successful Xbox games in the West also shifted ~80k in Japan.

The boost to HW numbers when BD came out was an improvement over last gen but was not sustained. It will be interesting to see what kind of sales the X360 can achieve over its life. If it could finish 0.5-1.0m then it would be an acceptable improvement over Xbox.

MrSardonic said:
The boost to HW numbers when BD came out was an improvement over last gen but was not sustained. It will be interesting to see what kind of sales the X360 can achieve over its life. If it could finish 0.5-1.0m then it would be an acceptable improvement over Xbox.

Not sustained? Have you seen the graph before BD and after? Sure, there has been a drop off, but its tracking massively above the 1-3K/week it was doing last year, and is on course to comfortably beat XBox whereas before it was going to struggle to get close.

EDIT: for a little perspective, Xbox had about only 6 weeks in its history where it sold 10K+. 360 has done that in 6 of the last 7, and did 9K in the other one.

D.Lo

verplant said:
but even at this time ds LTD was about 900k ahead!
Good point. Even back then the 'PSP will take over, DS teh doomed' types were jumping the gun.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Not sustained? Have you seen the graph before BD and after? Sure, there has been a drop off, but its tracking massively above the 1-3K/week it was doing last year, and is on course to comfortably beat XBox whereas before it was going to struggle to get close.

EDIT: for a little perspective, Xbox had about only 6 weeks in its history where it sold 10K+. 360 has done that in 6 of the last 7, and did 9K in the other one.
So MS's multi-millions spent buying games and devs was worth it for a slight gain? Double 1% is still only 2%.

D.Lo said:
Good point. Even back then the 'PSP will take over, DS teh doomed' types were jumping the gun.

So MS's multi-millions spent buying games and devs was worth it for a slight gain? Double 1% is still only 2%.

Look at the big picture though. At this rate, by 2037, Microsoft should have a GameCube-sized userbase in Japan.

If true, wow @ the 360 numbers.

17k units YTD last year, and selling 3.6k units this week
37k units YTD this year, and selling 10.1k units this week

Not much by any means whatsoever, but we *could* see 500k h/w units sold this year if it kept tracking like this....Escpecially with the schedule. What if the 360 outsold just for this year's YTD that the Xbox did it's entire liftime in Japan? Still not many units compared to Wii and PS3, but a very large feat nontheless.

Having said that, I feel good about the numbers all around. The Wii is doing insanely, and will keep doing such for a loooong time. 5m units in Japan by the end of this year! Believe!

As for PS3 - It's still sold what? 500k units+ thus far? For such an expensive console with very little games, that's fairly well. Once your VF5's and other mid-level titles come out, it should manage 30-40k weekly.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
So "Donki" said themselves that they lowered the PS3 price because of slow sales?

It has just occurred to me that everyone seems to have got over the name. All my friends, the media, GAF, websites. Nobody is making jokes about the Wii. It has officially got Apple brand power. Viva la iPod (ahem Wii).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The "sumimasen sony" comment isn't some official apology or anything. Its being used in a joking or sarcastic manner in this situation. They just put it on there to make their PS3 special sound even more unbelievable.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
ChrisAllenFiz said:
Not sustained? Have you seen the graph before BD and after?

Ever since BD's release the sales of X360 have fallen despite the release of other supposedly major X360 titles. Getting 7 weeks of higher sales, the majority of which took place during the busiest weeks of the year and relied upon major software releases, does not make the X360...

ChrisAllenFiz said:
on course to comfortably beat XBox whereas before it was going to struggle to get close

X360 is still more than 60k behind the Xbox this many weeks after launch. It made up a lot of ground in the last 2 months, but there is no way to predict what the longer-term sales trend will be. I suspect X360 will sell more than Xbox but not by a large margin and greatly helped out by the high price of the PS3 this cycle

Mr Killemgood said:
Not much by any means whatsoever, but we *could* see 500k h/w units sold this year if it kept tracking like this.

:lol that has absolutely no chance of happening. Thanks for playing.

Does anyone here have Shining Force Neo (and Shining Tears while you're at it) numbers to compare them to Shining Force EXA?

In other news, I'm pretty surprised at Pokemon being so down in the charts o_o
Also surprised at DQMJ, Square-Enix does it again!

I want to know first day sales for this week titles already! ><

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MrSardonic said:
:lol that has absolutely no chance of happening. Thanks for playing.

I think he meant that the Xbox 360 may reach 500k total units sold this year. They need about 130,000 (?) more units to reach that, so it is possible. Actually its quite likely.

Top Bottom