• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

cvxfreak said:
No.

http://report.cesa.or.jp/

FYI, CESA hasn't actually published the 2007 CESA White Papers yet. 2006 was published in July, so how could ioi gain a complete CESA 2006 figure? Simple, he passed off VGCharts content under the CESA monicker and hoped no one would notice.

So can we get a ban in here, someone?

Fuzzy said:
What's wrong with you? ioi shares his data with everyone yet you selfishly keep it to yourself.

Joke post? Did you see his fight with Square2005? Or any request for his source numbers from anyone?

ioi

Banned
Do you guys ever give up?

All my data is on my website, that is where it gets posted, on a regular basis. Myself and Square get on very well - him making accusations on here because I simply hadn't had internet access for a few weeks was childish and he has apologised for it so all is forgotten (between us anyway - you all seem intent in making more of it for some reason).

Your numbers seem to exclude some hardware, Ethelred, that was all I was saying, lets not get into another stupid debate and personal insults. The data I listed is that CESA estimate as their yearly shipment figures - data which I use in putting together my site.

I don't post my weekly summaries and links to my data every week in these threads (even though 75% of people liked it) as I used to because I was asked not to. I rarely come on here any more (I'm too busy) and when I do it is brief and in keeping with what I have been asked, so what is the problem?

ioi said:
Do you guys ever give up?

All my data is on my website, that is where it gets posted, on a regular basis. Myself and Square get on very well - him making accusations on here because I simply hadn't had internet access for a few weeks was childish and he has apologised for it so all is forgotten (between us anyway - you all seem intent in making more of it for some reason).

Your numbers seem to exclude some hardware, Ethelred, that was all I was saying, lets not get into another stupid debate and personal insults. The data I listed is that CESA estimate as their yearly shipment figures - data which I use in putting together my site.

I don't post my weekly summaries and links to my data every week in these threads (even though 75% of people liked it) as I used to because I was asked not to. I rarely come on here any more (I'm too busy) and when I do it is brief and in keeping with what I have been asked, so what is the problem?

Wtf? You said that you wouldn't give him your data because now that you had his, you don't need to give him any. Explain to me why Square is the one being childish?

A Link to the Snitch said:
Wtf? You said that you wouldn't give him your data because now that you had his, you don't need to give him any. Explain to me why Square is the one being childish?

Actually, what happened was Square gave ioi some data, and didn't receive his part of the trade for weeks after. In that time, Square posted the data he shared with ioi on GAF for all to see. ioi got pissed that Square had leaked the data publicly, declared their trade void, and refused to hold up his end of the bargain. This was after weeks of ignoring posts, PMs, and emails, mind you.

The discussion about a disagreement two other people had has no place in this thread.

Get out of their business and stay on topic. That's why all the trouble starts; you spread rumors and half-the-REAL-information about a subject between two people, and then one gets offended and states their side, then people agree, then others state the other side and others agree, then everyone gets mad.

Don't you guys listen to the old sayings?

"Don't sip the koolaid without knowing the flavor.... don't read the book without knowing the title... don't call a game in japan a success unless you know the standard for success."

JoshuaJSlone said:
That reminds me, this is the first week in a while where there's a proper one-system Pac-Man.
pacchartweekly.php
At Lapsed's suggestion, I have to say, I think Nintendo thinks of Japan like this:

2elwf3a.jpg

LanceStern said:
The discussion about a disagreement two other people had has no place in this thread.

Get out of there business and stay on topic. That's why all the trouble starts.

The trouble started when ioi put a fake name on banned info on the previous page.

You're the king of MC thread derailments, so don't even start.

AdmiralViscen said:
The trouble started when ioi put a fake name on banned info on the previous page.

You're the king of MC thread derailments, so don't even start.

I NEVER derailed them. My posts were always about media create sales; it was other people who resulted to flames and such, which i'm surprised the administrators did nothing about it now that I recall those threads

And in terms of fake names, you could point a similar finger to ethelred. If new members came and looked at their posts WITHOUT knowing their history, they could accuse ethelred of making "fake numbers" because he did the same thing of posting numbers with a "claim" that he gets it from a credible source.

For the record, I trust ethelred's numbers more thanks to precedent, but, if I didn't know the history, ioi's numbers could be just as credible as ethelreds, especially since no-one can ACCURATELY track every single units sold, as MC tries to do (down to the last ones digit).

We are derailing incase you didn't notice

Haunted

you know, this is why VGCharts discussion was banned from Media Create threads.

Just ****ing give it a rest guys. ioi, cvxfreak, Viscen et. al., please.

edit: oh shit, LanceStern joined in -- now it's over. I'm outta here. :(

cvxfreak

Haunted_One said:
you know, this is why VGCharts discussion was banned from Media Create threads.

Just ****ing give it a rest guys. ioi, cvxfreak, Viscen et. al., please.

edit: oh shit, LanceStern joined in -- now it's over. I'm outta here. :(

I want to know the CESA figures only.

ethelred

LanceStern said:
And in terms of fake names, you could point a similar finger to ethelred. If new members came and looked at their posts WITHOUT knowing their history, they could accuse ethelred of making "fake numbers" because he did the same thing of posting numbers with a "claim" that he gets it from a credible source.

Huh?

I don't have any secondary accounts, and I haven't posted any fake numbers. I just posted the Famitsu data (as ioi suggested).

No no no, what I mean by "fake names" is slapping on a known-name like MC, Famit, CESA or Dengeki to make fake numbers seem real (as Admiral Visceren accused ioi of doing).

When you posted the yearly hardware sales, to junior members or new guests that browse threads, they coudl accuse you of "fake name" (as in sticking on Famitsu to your own numbers) because you didn't put a source. So both your and ioi's data are just as credible to those who don't know your account histories.

It's wrong for visceren to say ioi slapped on a fake name to numbers and ignore how you, essentially, did the same thing. But I trust your numbers, and I don't have any problem with ioi's yearly hardware numbers either.

Nothing about fake accounts. And uh, let's get back on topic >_>

LanceStern said:
No no no, what I mean by "fake names" is slapping on a known-name like MC, Famit, CESA or Dengeki to make fake numbers seem real (as Admiral Visceren accused ioi of doing).

When you posted the yearly hardware sales, to junior members or new guests that browse threads, they coudl accuse you of "fake name" (as in sticking on Famitsu to your own numbers) because you didn't put a source. So both your and ioi's data are just as credible to those who don't know your account histories.

It's wrong for visceren to say ioi slapped on a fake name to numbers and ignore how you, essentially, did the same thing. But I trust your numbers, and I don't have any problem with ioi's yearly hardware numbers either.

Nothing about fake accounts. And uh, let's get back on topic >_>

But everyone does that....

Ok this is the last time I'm going to talk about ioi's site, he comes off as a humble guy, why would he bother deceiving the whole world with his supposedly "fake numbers". His site has no ads of any kind, he gets no income from the site, so obviously it's not money. For fame? He hardly even posts, now why would he bother with fame? Honestly you guys give him alot of slack for the tremendous work he does. He does more then any one of you in terms of sales data, and no being the first to post MC data doesn't count as hard work.

Thanks for all the work ioi, it's given me a look on the history of console wars, even though your numbers a bit off sometimes, it still shows the same trend, and that's what matters.

VietBitter said:
Ok this is the last time I'm going to talk about ioi's site, he comes off as a humble guy, why would he bother deceiving the whole world with his supposedly "fake numbers".

:lol

Deku said:
what's going on again? and why do media create threads always go south? =/

I think it's because sales are usually cold hard data so there's less ability to hide behind a smokescreen of bullshit.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
man these threads now get real big I remember in 2005 media create threads have at most like 300 replies. gaf was small back then.

Error2k4 said:
man these threads now get real big I remember in 2005 media create threads have at most like 300 replies. gaf was small back then.

We went through a slump last year before the new consoles released too. No matter how big the DS got, more people have stakes in consoles than handhelds (their loss).

cvxfreak

Pureauthor said:
We went through a slump last year before the new consoles released too. No matter how big the DS got, more people have stakes in consoles than handhelds (their loss).

Before nintendogs came out (yes, nintendogs) more people who I'd consider avid Sony fans participated in MC threads too.

ethelred

VietBitter said:
Kirby and Jump actually increased in sales according to VGcharts (It's pretty accurate just a tiny margin of error). Week ending 21st Kirby sold 10k and Jump sold 10k, this week it sold 13k and 10k respectively. Mekaiju sold 10k, undershipment from Atlus. The DS should sell just under 200k also.

VietBitter said:
You talk as if VGcharts is completely inaccurate, it's only a small margin of error.

VietBitter said:
I'm sorry but you're the idiot, look at the sales and tell me where the huge errors are, exactly there is none you moron.

VietBitter said:
Yet you still can't show where the huge margin of errors are. Nothing can ever be totally accurate, not even your sacred Media-Create, so get off your high horse and calm down.

VietBitter said:
If you compare data from Media-Create and VGcharts, they're not different by much. Isn't that what matters in the end? We're only using these numbers in a sales thread, not for business use. If Dengeki sales comes out and Kirby sells a bit more or less then 13k, does it really matter?

VietBitter said:
Like I said it's a sales thread on a regular games forum, why does a few percentage of difference matter to you? Are you not going to be able to sleep knowing VGcharts tracked your Kirby game off by a thousand or two? In the end they're all estimates, and VGcharts provide them earlier then Dengeki.

VietBitter said:
Hey if you can create estimates closer to Media-Create's data then VGcharts', then be my guest. But I'll tell you now, you'll fail miserably.

VietBitter said:
It's off by two minutes, why would it matter? You still get the roughly the right time regardless. It's not like VGcharts pull numbers out of their ass, if they did why would their numbers be so close to Media-Creates?

VietBitter said:
Look all I'm doing is using VGcharts data for two games in the lower end of the charts. I'm not creating threads of VGcharts top 10 and saying it's final. Is this much backlash really warranted?

VietBitter said:
Ok this is the last time I'm going to talk about ioi's site, he comes off as a humble guy, why would he bother deceiving the whole world with his supposedly "fake numbers". His site has no ads of any kind, he gets no income from the site, so obviously it's not money. For fame? He hardly even posts, now why would he bother with fame? Honestly you guys give him alot of slack for the tremendous work he does. He does more then any one of you in terms of sales data, and no being the first to post MC data doesn't count as hard work.

Thanks for all the work ioi, it's given me a look on the history of console wars, even though your numbers a bit off sometimes, it still shows the same trend, and that's what matters.

Seriously, man, there are therapists that can help with this kind of stuff.

Jonnyram

ioi said:
The data I listed is that CESA estimate as their yearly shipment figures - data which I use in putting together my site.
OK. If this isn't definitive, I don't know what is.

You're basically publicising a bunch of copyright, non-publicised data and passing it off as your own work. If the admins of GAF would pay more attention to this fact, especially with the recent NPD connection, your site should be banned from GAF, and you should go in the same direction. There is seriously no excuse for what you're doing. It's obvious from the amount of advertising on the site that you're trying to make cash out of it, but it's not your work. The data you are using is from agencies around the world who try to make their own money from it. Publicising that data is going to make you a lot of enemies very quickly.

The fact that you also manage to **** it up, with some severe inaccuracies in some cases, is hilarious, but you're still ripping people off.

Argument over? Good.

Are there any kinds of cool new features you guys would like for the next thread's OP? If you let me know now, I can have stuff in for the post on Wednesday. It should all be ready within about a minute of the source info being posted.

Deku

Banned
Error2k4 said:

The Typical Media Create Thread lifecycle

1. Formation - software rankings/confirmed. Hardware leaked numbers arrive.
2. Itprintsmoney.gif - Photoshops as final hardware numbers arrive and final software numbers are clarified and translated.
3. Pac-man - 'nuff said
4. Monorojo Effect - Self explanatory. Thread is derailed
5. Decline - Posts slow down.
6. Anticipation - 1Early leaked numbers come out (software) and some 1st day sales info for the coming week's media create.

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
Argument over? Good.

Are there any kinds of cool new features you guys would like for the next thread's OP? If you let me know now, I can have stuff in for the post on Wednesday. It should all be ready within about a minute of the source info being posted.

The whole kitten kaboodle.

Link to previous thread, link to all games' webpages, free love. :D

Deku

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Argument over? Good.

the pacman charts on page 1 when they are posted. I don't really keep track of Media Create to stat generation, but it will be nice for reference when we go back to it in the future.

cvxfreak said:
The whole kitten kaboodle.

Link to previous thread, link to all games' webpages, free love. :D

So, more data parsed out of the data page? Okay, is there any particular preferred text formatting? Did you want official webpages, all from a particular outlet, or where? My MC lists might be made with love, but I'm afraid you're on your own as far as that issue goes. :lol

Deku said:
the pacman charts on page 1 when they are posted. I don't really keep track of Media Create to stat generation, but it will be nice for reference when we go back to it in the future.

I may or may not have pie charts this week, but will include the regulars in the OP.

Jonnyram

Deku said:
The Typical Media Create Thread lifecycle

1. Formation - software rankings/confirmed. Hardware leaked numbers arrive.
2. Itprintsmoney.gif - Photoshops as final hardware numbers arrive and final software numbers are clarified and translated.
3. Pac-man - 'nuff said
4. Monorojo Effect - Self explanatory. Thread is derailed
5. Decline - Posts slow down.
6. Anticipation - 1Early leaked numbers come out (software) and some 1st day sales info for the coming week's media create.
You forgot:
0. The Race - a crack squad of GAF's spies aim to create the weekly thread first

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
So, more data parsed out of the data page? Okay, is there any particular preferred text formatting? Did you want official webpages, all from a particular outlet, or where? My MC lists might be made with love, but I'm afraid you're on your own as far as that issue goes. :lol

I guess it's just keeping the commas. People love them for whatever reason.

AniHawk

I like commas and updating the front page with hardware numbers/totals whenever they come in. It's extremely helpful for when these things get dumped into the sales archive.

cvxfreak said:
I guess it's just keeping the commas. People love them for whatever reason.

It could quickly turn into a mess if I parse out all of the potential data fields:

Rank
Comparison w/ last week's rank
System
Title
Publisher
Genre
Release Date
MSRP
Weekly Sales
LTD Sales

Right now, it's:

Rank. (System, Publisher) Title - Weekly Sales / LTD Sales

AniHawk said:
I like commas and updating the front page with hardware numbers/totals whenever they come in. It's extremely helpful for when these things get dumped into the sales archive.

Sounds like it's time to get that base covered, too. =P

cvxfreak

I'm kind of curious as to how it looks if it were directly copied and pasted: THESE ARE NOT NEW CHARTS PEOPLE

new
ps2

今週の第1位は『Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas』。シリーズ累計5,000万本以上の売り上げを誇るシリーズ最新作が初登場。前作をも圧倒するボリュームアップを実現。リアルな世界感と自由度の高さは圧巻だ。
(C) 2007 Rockstar Games, Inc.
Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas ACT 1/25
カプコン \7,329
販売本数:227261 累計販売本数:227261
2 up
ds

ドラゴンクエストモンスターズ ジョーカー RPG 12/28
スクウェア・エニックス \5,040
販売本数:103706 累計販売本数:1026700
2 new
ds

三国志大戦DS TAB 1/25
セガ \5,980
販売本数:77229 累計販売本数:77229
2 new
ds

ピクロスDS PZL 1/25
任天堂 \3,800
販売本数:71794 累計販売本数:71794
2 new
ds

ウィッシュルーム 天使の記憶 ADV 1/25
任天堂 \4,800
販売本数:59379 累計販売本数:59379
2 down
wii

Wii スポーツ SPT 12/2
任天堂 \4,800
販売本数:58886 累計販売本数:910422
2 down
ds

怪盗ワリオ・ザ・セブン ACT 1/18
任天堂 \4,800
販売本数:47350 累計販売本数:138599
2 down
wii

はじめてのWiiパック ETC 12/2
任天堂 \4,800
販売本数:43612 累計販売本数:808425
2 new
ps2

ぱちんこ冬のソナタ パチってちょんまげ達人10 PCK 1/25
ハックベリー \7,140
販売本数:41411 累計販売本数:41411
2 draw
ds

東北大学未来科学技術共同研究センター 川島隆太教授監修 もっと脳を鍛える大人のDSトレーニング EDU 12/29
任天堂 \2,800
販売本数:34028 累計販売本数:3902307
2 draw ds

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
Yes, well. Manually refreshing is now a thing of the past. I've got it covered, folks. :)

I had mine automatically refresh too actually. But I'm glad you've got it covered. Only Japanese language readers should be allowed to create the thread. :)

Top Bottom