• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

jarrod

Banned
Barf_the_Mog said:
I'm curious about this title. It seems so obscure and limited to such a small segment, but I'll predict that it breaks the top 30 next week. Depending on how it's reviewed, I may even have to import this one.
I've heard Ubisoft's bringing it to the west actually...

ethelred said:
Notice the difference in 2005 and 2006? Aside from the 2001 spike, the hardware market has been shrinking there... and then there was a massive turnaround.
Rather than shrinking it was a collateral effect of having just 2 platforms doing good (PS2 & GBA from 2001 to 2004). Same in 1999 with PSX and GB slowing just like PS2 & GBA did in the end.

But now in 2005 and 2006, there were 3 active platforms, DS, PSP and PS2...and two more later in 2006 (Wii and PS3). Of course DS has expanded the market in 2006, if not it would be around the other numbers.

Now 2007 looks good for the japanese industry, DS continues its way to be the top platform ever, PSP far better second-place console than usual, and in handheld market were there was no second-place last time. PS2 slowing and probably dying this year although it'll help to cover lower than expected PS3 sales, and then 'factor Wii' that can become a new hit like DS or at least a PS2-type console. 15m for the year looks very reasonable to me :)

ethelred

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Rather than shrinking it was a collateral effect of having just 2 platforms doing good (PS2 & GBA from 2001 to 2004). Same in 1999 with PSX and GB slowing just like PS2 & GBA did in the end.

But now in 2005 and 2006, there were 3 active platforms, DS, PSP and PS2...and two more later in 2006 (Wii and PS3). Of course DS has expanded the market in 2006, if not it would be around the other numbers.

Now 2007 looks good for the japanese industry, DS continues its way to be the top platform ever, PSP far better second-place console than usual, and in handheld market were there was no second-place last time. PS2 slowing and probably dying this year although it'll help to cover lower than expected PS3 sales, and then 'factor Wii' that can become a new hit like DS or at least a PS2-type console. 15m for the year looks very reasonable to me :)

Yes, exactly my point. It's a huge expansion for the hardware market that isn't all going to Nintendo, and it's continuing to expand. 2005 bucked a real trend, 2006 continued it, and 2007 should continue it even further. We're seeing real growth here, and that's a very good thing.

Deku

Banned
I don't think the # of consoles or platforms on the market has much to do with it.

If you look at the hardware numbers.
2001: 10,725,000
2002: 08,850,000
2003: 07,810,000
2004: 07,440,000

2001-2004 saw a decline of HW sold, which is counterintuitive to what we should expect given both the PS2 and GBA were growing and maturing during those 4 years and should see a real increase in absolute sales in a healthy market.

It's not good news when you have 2 ubiquitous platforms maturing in their product lifecyles and yet have the industry still register yoy declines in HW sold. That's the key point.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Terrell said:
I think that the Dreamcast shares more similarities with Nintendo's strategy in its game library.

Space Channel 5: simple, quirky, fun (it's like playing Simon... only with PVC skirts, hooker boots and boobs)
Samba de Amigo: simple, quirky, fun
Chu Chu Rocket: simple, quirky, fun
Cosmic Smash: translating the pick-up-and-play nature of arcade games to console
Guruguru Onsen: the predecessor to the DS' Clubhouse Games (though I prefer Guruguru due to the avatar creator and the graphical presentation)
Phantasy Star Online: nice features, easy to play Diablo clone

The trend here is that many or all of the franchises introduced on Dreamcast up until the end of its lifespan were created as fun games that aren't really all that time-intensive and easily picked up and played. In this one fact, that's where I see ALL of the similarities between Dreamcast-age Sega and current-age Nintendo. Sega's only mistake is that they created all these games that casual gamers would love but wouldn't woo hardcore gamers, yet the hardcore gamers were who Sega was specifically marketing its console towards. PS2 comes in with games that appeal to GAF and the "hardcore-chic" set, Sega tried to make games to the demographic it had been marketing to and... it floundered. Had Sega actually marketed its first-party titles to the lapsed or non-gamer demographic, they may have ended up a lot more successful than they were when they exited the business.
The major difference is that Sega made its "non-games" far less blatant by wrapping them in GAF-wooing audio-visual presentation (or as much as these games would allow).
Needless to say, the industry might look a lot different had Sega realised that you CAN market to the casual and lapsed gamer market.

Good point, the problem with Sega is that they didn't really know what they were doing with those risks they were taking. Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing, from the presentation to the marketing and price point, everything is very well executed to reach their objective.

In many ways I think Nintendo looks at that Sega as they did at Atari, they paid a lot of attention to what's happened and planned out a strategy to avoid their fate. And much like the NES was with the Atari 2600, the Wii was built with a lot of the Dreamcast's business flaws in mind.

AniHawk

wazoo said:
The only point where I disagree with him if the presentation of Nintendo that the market is shrinking. The only shrinking market is Nintendo own marketshare for 20years.
4fz9cb9.gif

Azelover said:
Good point, the problem with Sega is that they didn't really know what they were doing with those risks they were taking. Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing, from the presentation to the marketing and price point, everything is very well executed to reach their objective.

In many ways I think Nintendo looks at that Sega as they did at Atari, they paid a lot of attention to what's happened and planned out a strategy to avoid their fate. And much like the NES was with the Atari 2600, the Wii was built with a lot of the Dreamcast's business flaws in mind.

They did what they had to do to survive....and then thrive

wazoo

It is supposed to be funny

At least with Lapsed we have a few properly written arguments

You can not deny that Nintendo has lost customers year after year since the NES and that this "blue ocean" strategy would have not come if they had an increasing total number of consoles like MS or Sony

wazoo said:

You can not deny that Nintendo has lost customers year after year since the NES and that this "blue ocean" strategy would have not come if they had an increasing total number of consoles like MS or Sony
It's hard to say anything with certainty about what could have been. Their new strategy first became apparent in the very healthy portable market they'd been dominating for 15 years.

farnham

Banned
wazoo said:

yup looks like a typical disruptive marketing strategy with a following success..

look at Apple and Ipod.. they had big problems in their computer business.. then they launched the Ipod and it disrupted the portable music player completely becoming No.1.. without apples struggle in the computer business you wouldnt have seen such a thing

wazoo

farnham said:
yup looks like a typical disruptive marketing strategy with a following success..

look at Apple and Ipod.. they had big problems in their computer business.. then they launched the Ipod and it disrupted the portable music player completely becoming No.1.. without apples struggle in the computer business you wouldnt have seen such a thing

We agree. Disruptive strategies are not wanted by companies because being disruptive is frightening (before it succeeds) and most disruptive strategies fail.

wazoo

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's hard to say anything with certainty about what could have been. Their new strategy first became apparent in the very healthy portable market they'd been dominating for 15 years.

it also came at the same time Sony announced that they wanted to enter this market. It shows that Nintendo was much more reactive to a threat in that market than they were in the home console market.

ioi

Banned
LanceStern said:
It's not shrinking by what you've shown us ethelred.

I see hardware going down slowly after each new hardware release, then a new hardware release shows up and it increases and goes back down for a few years. Then a new one comes, the sales spike, then it goes back down for the next few years.

From what I've seen, it just GRADUALLY (and I mean REALLY SLOWLY) declines, but is brought back up by new releases of hardware.

Software wise though, it has been shrinking by your numbers. Thank God for the DS though eh?

Not quite sure where those hardware figures come from (Famitsu presumably), a more accurate set (including GB, PocketStation, late SNES, Saturn etc) from CESA would be:

1996: 10.03m
1997: 11.76m
1998: 10.33m
1999: 13.62m
2000: 10.30m
2001: 11.86m
2002: 10.65m
2003: 8.62m
2004: 9.02m
2005: 10.45m
2006: 14.20m

The 8.5 million from DS alone in 2006 is almost enough to beat 2003's low!

apujanata

PkunkFury said:
He's also a Star Control II fan, and we can't have too many of those :D

which by the way, means he's not a hopeless nintendo fan, since he appreciates killer games that have never been near a Nintendo system

I am also a fan of Star Control & Star Control II. Nice id, Pkunk :) It is taken from the game, right ? :) Don't forget Pirates!, Secret of Monkey Island series, King Quest series.

Bo130

I haven't followed the thread this week - have we gotten any first day sales and any big releases this last week? Any speculation or anything on how GTA:SA will do in it's second week. How did Vice City do?

And I assume that a shortage will put all of the 4 topmost DS games on this weeks list out of the Top 10 :/ What a shame.

Bo130 said:
I haven't followed the thread this week - have we gotten any first day sales and any big releases this last week? Any speculation or anything on how GTA:SA will do in it's second week. How did Vice City do?

And I assume that a shortage will put all of the 4 topmost DS games on this weeks list out of the Top 10 :/ What a shame.
Just Harvest Moon DS this week, 50k sold first day off a 100k shipment.

Just looked at Vice City and I was impresssed...It sold 223,933 units first week. And 65,575 in the 2nd week to end around 410k. Looks SA will follow closely.

Btw, just like last week, gamefront gives some Famitsu numbers up to 14th January this time, some are interesting so here they go:

- Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (PSP, Konami): 268.424 St.
- Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS, Nintendo): 624.846 St.
- Monster Hunter Portable ~PSP The Best~ (PSP, Capcom): 194.226 St.
- Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo): 353.492 St.
- Mario Kart DS (NDS, Nintendo): 1.868.191 St.
- Seiken Densetsu 4 [Dawn of Mana] (PS2, Square Enix): 277.193 St.
- Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon [Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales] (NDS, Square Enix): 113.774 St.

Good for Chocobo, Seiken Densetsu 4 has a 60% price drop on Amazon :lol and Monster Hunter Portable is going to end very near 1m if it doesn't reach it.

Oh, some other interesting news on gamefront...

Rocket Company announces Katei no Igaku for DS of course, its about health and such, they aim to sell 100.000 copies.

On Famitsu Most Wanted Charts, DQIX is the new #1, and well, there are 7 PS3 games on the top20. If you want to see it go to gamefront.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Rocket Company announces Katei no Igaku for DS of course, its about health and such, they aim to sell 100.000 copies.

On Famitsu Most Wanted Charts, DQIX is the new #1, and well, there are 7 PS3 games on the top20. If you want to see it go to gamefront.

2 of which are Monster Hunter 3.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Just checked the list - how come Monster Hunter 3 is listed twice?

Roders5 said:
Actually I thought his was funny, but yours, not so much.
Yes, but being funny doesn't justify ignoring rules from the mods.
Allthough "funny" users get away with it frequently at gaf.

Busaiku

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wha?
That list says there's a Higurashi game on the DS? Or is that just the PS2 one, that they accidentally listed for the DS?

Katana_Strikes said:
2 of which are Monster Hunter 3.
SovanJedi said:
Just checked the list - how come Monster Hunter 3 is listed twice?
I didn't notice but I suppose its Devil May Cry 4, it has been crawling into top20 a few times before.

EDIT: #17 this week is Monster Hunter which was #16 last week
#18 isn't Virtua Fighter 5 because VF5 was #18 last week and this week it says the title was #25 last week so I suppose its Devil May Cry 4.
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv01-2007-gamefront/januar-04.html

Busaiku said:
Wha?
That list says there's a Higurashi game on the DS? Or is that just the PS2 one, that they accidentally listed for the DS?
I think its PS2 (there is one coming for sure) but they always list it as DS so I don't know anymore :lol

ethelred

ioi said:
Not quite sure where those hardware figures come from (Famitsu presumably), a more accurate set (including GB, PocketStation, late SNES, Saturn etc) from CESA would be:

They come from Media Create, which I consider more reliable than the stuff you're providing. :)

verplant

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, just like last week, gamefront gives some Famitsu numbers up to 14th January this time, some are interesting so here they go:

- Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (PSP, Konami): 268.424 St.
- Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS, Nintendo): 624.846 St.
- Monster Hunter Portable ~PSP The Best~ (PSP, Capcom): 194.226 St.
- Zelda: The Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo): 353.492 St.
- Mario Kart DS (NDS, Nintendo): 1.868.191 St.
- Seiken Densetsu 4 [Dawn of Mana] (PS2, Square Enix): 277.193 St.
- Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon [Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales] (NDS, Square Enix): 113.774 St.

This news is about 1 week old... (As they wrote: "28.01.07 - Hier sind Gesamtverkaufszahlen einiger Spiele von der Famitsu. Sie zeigen, wie oft sich ein Titel in Japan seit seiner Markteinführung bis zum 14.01.07 verkauft hat.") - It's probably a copy&paste-mistake!

New Famitsu data (up to 01/21) is out since friday: klick

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
Passing off VGCharts' content as something else is banned.
It would be great if there was a version of your avatar with www.VGCharts.org on the DS so we'd have something to post everytime someone mentioned the site. :D

ethelred

ioi said:
You got 99-2000 data from Media Create? Good stuff

You find that an unlikely proposition? I wonder why? It isn't because certain individuals have such information yet refuse to legitimately share it with the broader sales-watching community, is it?

verplant said:
This news is about 1 week old... (As they wrote: "28.01.07 - Hier sind Gesamtverkaufszahlen einiger Spiele von der Famitsu. Sie zeigen, wie oft sich ein Titel in Japan seit seiner Markteinführung bis zum 14.01.07 verkauft hat.") - It's probably a copy&paste-mistake!

New Famitsu data (up to 01/21) is out since friday: klick
I'm sure its today's post because they did the same last week but with numbers ending 7th January but now seeing your web I realize the numbers they give were in Famitsu Top30 (I thought they were giving numbers from titles lower than Top30) so yeah its a repost of old data. I wonder if they caught me last week as well...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5436949&postcount=1156

/me checks your web....and yes, they got me twice! Now I feel stupid :lol

cvxfreak

AdmiralViscen said:
So is CESA imaginary or what?

cesa_logo_multi_large.gif
??

No.

http://report.cesa.or.jp/

FYI, CESA hasn't actually published the 2007 CESA White Papers yet. 2006 was published in July, so how could ioi gain a complete CESA 2006 figure? Simple, he passed off VGCharts content under the CESA monicker and hoped no one would notice.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ethelred said:
You find that an unlikely proposition? I wonder why? It isn't because certain individuals have such information yet refuse to legitimately share it with the broader sales-watching community, is it?
What's wrong with you? ioi shares his data with everyone yet you selfishly keep it to yourself.

Top Bottom