• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Souldriver said:
Quit being a doom thinker. You said it yourself, Wii is on another league altogether, so don't worry if the Wii comes out on top this gen, the PS3 en X360 will have more than enough great games...

I know. What I'm basically saying is that the Wii success doesn't excite me as much as it does to others. It's like a blessing for many while for me is more like depressing. I dunno, I was somewhat hoping videogaming would win the masses heart with its strenghts as the definitive multimedia entertainment device rather than morphing itself into a karaoke-like phenomenon. It's like saying, ok, you (masses) don't dig advanced stuff like Halo, MGS, GOW (not saying the dont sell well. I'm saying they dont sell to everybody like Wii/DS games do)? Fair enough, we will step back to the basics and start again. How about some... tennis?

I have a Wii btw, but it's just there waiting for Mario Galaxy.

Alcibiades

AniHawk said:
Man I sure hope the Wii wins everything globally.
Is there any other possibility now?

Sony dead last US, 2nd in Japan, and will be hard to catch Wii in Europe.

Microsoft dead last in Japan, 2nd in Europe soon.

Is there anything left that could shake these trends? GTA-like game on the horizon somewhere? $200 PS3 price drop to compete with 360?

Sony needs another FFVII or GTA moment, something like what is going on with Wii Sports.

Sony is paying the price for its arrogance.

I suppose I could shed tears but when the head of its gaming division is telling people to get another job to support the PS3 and how they put BR in for our own good, then it deserves to get the fate its getting now.

Things may get better but the Wii is pulling ahead of the PS3 in all regions and the 360 shows no signs of slowing down in the US and Europe, as its multimillion system lead with high tie-in sw:hw ratio continues to build momentum.

PS3 needs an price drop and fast. It should be 360 prices (399/299). Even that number is too high but its better than the price right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Alcibiades said:

Is there anything left that could shake these trends? GTA-like game on the horizon somewhere? $200 PS3 price drop to compete with 360?

Sony needs another FFVII or GTA moment, something like what is going on with Wii Sports.

Alcibiades
Absolutely pathetic.

Fady K said:
The Xenosaga series overall sold over 2 million copies. Thats not bad. Like Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Valkyrie Profile 2, Xenosaga 3 deserved to sell a lot more. With what Monolith did with Ep3, ive become such a fan of the dev team that Im willing to buy all titles they make from now on. Even Disaster: Day of Crisis.
QFT.

cank stoochie said:
um i dont mean rain on your parade guys, but isnt this a bit too early?

No.

People should learn from their lesson from the GC. Throughout the first two and a half years of its life, people looked at its lagging sales and said, "Well, wait for <game1>." The game would come out, a small shot in the arm in sales, and then would slump again. Then the excuse was "Oh, well <game2> is really anticipated, it will sell well." The second game came out, doing the same thing.

The more Sony's wheels are spinning in place, the higher lead Microsoft and Nintendo will gain. Sales aren't being impacted enough on the MS and Nintendo front because both machines are selling great with the latter still almost sold out everywhere. People aren't waiting for Sony.

Its not like Dreamcast where sales were poor because people wanted to wait and see what PS2 would do. There is no sign of lagging sales. There may have been for 360 but with the PS3 out, its great December performance is proof that people are moving on.

TTP said:
I know. What I'm basically saying is that the Wii success doesn't excite me as much as it does to others.

So basically you bought a Wii but somehow its success is still depressing?

Why the hell did you support the cause then? Hypocrisy at its finest.

justchris

TTP said:
I know. What I'm basically saying is that the Wii success doesn't excite me as much as it does to others. It's like a blessing for many while for me is more like depressing. I dunno, I was somewhat hoping videogaming would win the masses heart with its strenghts as the definitive multimedia entertainment device rather than morphing itself into a karaoke-like phenomenon. It's like saying, ok, you (masses) don't dig advanced stuff like Halo, MGS, GOW (not saying the dont sell well. I'm saying they dont sell to everybody like Wii/DS games do)? Fair enough, we will step back to the basics and start again. How about some... tennis?

Which just goes to show you don't understand the Wii at all.

The entire point of the Wii is that no one will ever play Halo, MGS or GOW, because to them, video games are something for little kids and geeks who spend all day arguing on message boards.

The entire point of the DS and Wii is to present an easier way to play games, to broaden the definition of what a game is, so that the perception of video games among the masses changes for the better. A person who has played and enjoyed Wii Tennis is more likely to pick up Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, than someone who has never played a video game at all is to pick up any Resident Evil at all.

Things like Nintendogs, Brain Age & Wii Sports are a gateway. They get people to buy the system and play the games. And then, when those people get bored with those games (which sooner or later they will), they'll need to find something else to do. They already have the Wii/DS, so they think to themselves, why don't I try out this Metroid stuff I've heard about, and suddenly you have one more person who's joined the ranks of gamers who, without the Wii or DS, would likely have spent the rest of their life looking down their noses at video games and the people who played them.

Deku

Banned
The Experiment said:
No.

People should learn from their lesson from the GC. Throughout the first two and a half years of its life, people looked at its lagging sales and said, "Well, wait for <game1>." The game would come out, a small shot in the arm in sales, and then would slump again. Then the excuse was "Oh, well <game2> is really anticipated, it will sell well." The second game came out, doing the same thing.

The more Sony's wheels are spinning in place, the higher lead Microsoft and Nintendo will gain. Sales aren't being impacted enough on the MS and Nintendo front because both machines are selling great with the latter still almost sold out everywhere. People aren't waiting for Sony.

Its not like Dreamcast where sales were poor because people wanted to wait and see what PS2 would do. There is no sign of lagging sales. There may have been for 360 but with the PS3 out, its great December performance is proof that people are moving on.

I actually think its too early. You really shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment.

When I want to make a prediction I'll also be prepared to admit I'm mistaken and eat my hat, and in this case, I'm not ready to do either.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Magicpaint said:
So basically you bought a Wii but somehow its success is still depressing?

Cos it's successful thanks to stuff like Wii Play and Wii Sports, yes. I found that depressing.

Why the hell did you support the cause then? Hypocrisy at its finest.

u know, as a gamer I like to be exposed to any form of gaming and Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario and Metroid are pretty tasty. I own all the systems out there as I always did since the Master System / NES era. I'm not one that sticks with one console brand or another.

to be honest, it looks like sony doesnt really care, as long as they win the blu-ray war format. i heard they stand to make more money on that than ps3 sales

TTP said:
Cos it's successful thanks to stuff like Wii Play and Wii Sports, yes. I found that depressing.

Right, last time I checked, TP has sold over 2 million copies too with excellent attach rates every region. And lots of third party games are doing well. To solely attribute its success to just Wii Play and Wii Sports is wrong.

TTP said:
u know, as a gamer I like to be exposed to any form of gaming and Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario and Metroid are pretty tasty. I own all the systems out there as I always did since the Master System / NES era. I'm not one that sticks with one console brand or another.

Good, so the Wii's success shouldn't be depressing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
TTP said:
Mine is waiting for Wave Race, 1080°, Mario Kart, FZero, Star Fox, Metroïd, Punch Out, Smash Bro, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy Chronicle, Pilotwings, Wii Music, Wii Sports 2, Ouendan, Samba de Amigo, Virtual On, Virtua Cop, Kirby, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Brain Academy, PES, Half Life 2, Mii Crossing, Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio, some Point and Click adventure games and of course some surprises/new genres made around the wiimote.

What is depressing in such diversity?

marc^o^

Bud said:
PES?!

Are you talking about Pro Evolution Soccer?
Yes, I'm waiting for it, it's not been announced but that's in my wish list. Actually I'd be surprised if Konami didn't release a soccer game on the Wii (and by that I mean not a Mario Striker clone)

Alcibiades

So should people be despressed about the 90% attach ratio for Zelda on Wii in the US? The success Twilight Princess is having worldwide should demonstrate to game developers and publishers that Wii isn't gonna kill gaming anymore than DS has.

Wii Play and Wii Sports are gonna take Nintendo to a level Playstation and XBox never could, but Zelda, Mario, and Metroid are the reason TRADITIONAL GAMERS will be buying a Wii and playing the stuff that made NES -> GCN a success for Nintendo.

Publishers will wake up. They have to or face dwindling profits.

If Gamecube could get big games out of Capcom, Konami, Namco, Bandai, Squaresoft, and Sega, the Wii is going to be a no-brainer.

If the Virtual Console is even a modest success, that would be an even bigger indicator to 3rd parties that the audience is there for "traditional" games.

marc^o^ said:
Mine is waiting for Wave Race, 1080°, Mario Kart, FZero, Star Fox, Metroïd, Punch Out, Smash Bro, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy Chronicle, Pilotwings, Wii Music, Wii Sports 2, Ouendan, Samba de Amigo, Virtual On, Virtua Cop, Kirby, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Brain Academy, PES, Half Life 2, Mii Crossing, Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio, some Point and Click adventure games and of course some surprises/new genres made around the wiimote.

You forgot metal gear solid 5, FF13-15, DQ10, Halo 4... the list goes on :D
I've always found Nintendo games the most fun, if they can put the other few games i enjoy (PES, FF, DDR) then i am in heaven!

Bud said:
So how would the controls work?

Tie the wiimote to your legs?:lol
I remember reading an interview with the PES producer and he said he wanted to make a footy game where the player felt like they made that shot. I think you're unto something :p

wazoo

marc^o^ said:

That it is a mixture of nintendo centrism and wishful thinking.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DeaconKnowledge said:
What is it with this mentality that wanting other franchises to appear on Nintendo systems is wrong?

Nothing, but people are fearful if it is at the exclusion of them appearing on a 'next gen' system. Some people don't want certain games/franchises basically standing still from a technical perspective for the next 5 years .. it would be like extending the last generation for another 5 years, from a technical perspective, for those franchises. Some people do want a next gen too, a next gen that includes their favourite franchises.

(I'm using next-gen here in sense of something PS3/360 versus Wii's "new-gen"-ness).

In the short term it doesn't seem like there's much risk of that happening, though..we still have all the third party franchises coming to PS3 or 360 or both, but I guess some are worried about the longer term and whether that will change if there isn't a sufficiently strong and globally strong 'next-gen' system.

I can understand TTP's concern - I like Wii, but I don't want its success to be at the expense of a fully realised next generation in the traditional sense.

marc^o^

wazoo said:
That it is a mixture of nintendo centrism and wishful thinking.
Wishful thinking it is. Though it's highly probable we'll see all these (or such) titles on Wii through its lifetime.

gofreak said:
Nothing, but people are fearful if it is at the exclusion of them appearing on a 'next gen' system. Some people don't want certain games/franchises basically standing still from a technical perspective for the next 5 years .. it would be like extending the last generation for another 5 years, from a technical perspective, for those franchises. Some people do want a next gen too, a next gen that includes their favourite franchises.

(I'm using next-gen here in sense of something PS3/360 versus Wii's "new-gen"-ness).

In the short term it doesn't seem like there's much risk of that happening, though..we still have all the third party franchises coming to PS3 or 360 or both, but I guess some are worried about the longer term and whether that will change if there isn't a sufficiently strong and globally strong 'next-gen' system.

I can understand TTP's concern - I like Wii, but I don't want its success to be at the expense of a fully realised next generation in the traditional sense.
Well it goes both ways. i think Wii succeeding could be really good for the industry. theres no doubt that graphics will advance in the future, but its debatable whether its good for that console to be 800 dollars or whatever it is. If nintendo can gain major 3rd party titles its a win for me. But also, if they can be succesful enough to bring the other consoles into a cheaper pricepoint, then thats a win also. Gamin is just too expensive at the moment (i'm talkin from the perspective of someone who cannot justify spending 500$+ per year.

dejan

Sony PR: "It took the Playstation 2 six months before crossing the magic 30k barrier in the japanese weekly sales numbers. The PS3 achieved the same goal in less than 10 weeks."

gofreak said:

I like 360 and PS3, but I also don't want their success to be at the expense of my wallet. Seriously, the prices are outrageous. So in essence, I want a balance. I guess that's one where everyone can agree on.

The 360/PS3 will be fine, if anything, the one console who's future isn't quite certain yet is the Wii. It's got a fine start, no doubt, but it still has a lot to prove.

bud

dejan said:
Sony PR: "It took the Playstation 2 six months before crossing the magic 30k barrier in the japanese weekly sales numbers. The PS3 achieved the same goal in less than 10 weeks."

01-14-07_06.gif

wazoo

APerfectCircle said:
Well it goes both ways. i think Wii succeeding could be really good for the industry. theres no doubt that graphics will advance in the future, but its debatable whether its good for that console to be 800 dollars or whatever it is. If nintendo can gain major 3rd party titles its a win for me. But also, if they can be succesful enough to bring the other consoles into a cheaper pricepoint, then thats a win also. Gamin is just too expensive at the moment (i'm talkin from the perspective of someone who cannot justify spending 500$+ per year.

I do not like to buy a console 500$, or even 400$. i do not like to buy a console twice either, just for a new controller.

wazoo said:
I do not like to buy a console 500$, or even 400$. i do not like to buy a console twice either, just for a new controller.

Looks like you're out of options then :lol

Do you play handhelds? I heard the DS and PSP are good.

Alcibiades

wazoo said:
Trust me, you didn't.

Unless the Gamecube had built-in wireless ethernet adaptor, DVD-9 media capacity, 512 mb of Flash installed, and a beefed up processor and graphics chip that Nintendo never mentioned.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
And the sequel >500k at high price, SEGA really does need to look after this franchise. Hopefully Yakuza 2 sees a better localization (and dual VA or burn).
But it utterly tanked in America... I'm not even sure we'll see Yakuza 2 here really.

Fady K said:
In this day and age, anything goes. Seeing the Legend of Zelda TP crushed by countless other Nintendo games that released around the same time is enough to have me expect such stuff.
Yes, only selling about as many copies of TP as the entire PS3 software library combined must be really crushing Nintendo. ;)

Alcibiades said:

Well, the point of GTA like games (unlike games like FF VII or the next Mario game or sth. like that) is that they basically aren't on the horizon. GTA got a ~15 million selling hit with GTA III more or less out of nothing and the same could of course happen to a PS3/Wii/X360 exclusive that at the moment isn't even known.

Lapsed

Banned
Nintendo isn't doing anything new. What they are doing now is what video game companies did in the seventies and eighties: focus on mass market (choosing pong over computer space, etc.), tapping into new demographics (Pac-Man for females), integrating hardware and software to create new type of game experiences (most arcade game makers), and focusing on a family friendly console (Atari 2600, NES, and so on).

The 'truths' of the industry then were:

-1st Party Software was most important (since it defined the hardware and first party games led the way of the 'philosophy' of the system. First party games were responsible for carving out an installed base for any third party companies)

-Gaming had to aim at the 'mass market' (People thought Defender would flop because it was too 'hardcore'. Such was the mentality then that games ought to aim to be for everyone.)

-Purpose of hardware was to serve the software (Controllers and other parts of the system should be designed with the software in mind.)

The 16-bit Generation was the turning point. Sega focused on 'competition', on processor speeds and graphics, harsh advertising blitz, and all to 'steal' marketshare from Nintendo. Sega's real success came in growing into new areas (young adult male market, europe which Nintendo had little presence), not from 'stealing' marketshare. Nintendo 'competed' back with the SNES in similiar way as Sega did. At the end of the 16-bit generation, the 'truths' of the console industry became:

-3rd Party Software was most important (having hits like Street Fighter 2 exclusive to the SNES shaped and pushed SNES's sales. Genesis's Mortal Kombat having blood shaped the system's reputation and pushed its sales. EA's sports games became a major factor)

-Gaming had to aim at the 'hardcore' (at those who play the most. Remember all the 'in your face' advertising of that era? Remember how games kept getting more and more complicated? Remember 14 button combos of Killer Instinct?)

-Purpose of software was to serve the hardware (Games were now to be designed for the hardware, to take advantage of the hardware, to show what the hardware could do. Console industry became focused on horsepower and graphic upgrades.)

After the so-called 16-bit 'console war', a series of changes occurred. Sega convinced that competition, not growth, that better hardware, not software, were the reasons for its success, began to throw out hardware to 'compete' such as the Sega CD to the 32X. Saturn was remade to 'compete' with the Playstation. Sega destroyed itself. Nintendo, believing their success in the 16-bit generation was due to technology, competition, and graphics focused on them. There was the Virtual Boy flop. The N64, impressively designed by Silicon Artists, became mostly irrelevant. Gamecube, which was graphically superior to the PS2 and cheaper, also failed.

The after effect of the '16-bit War' was that both Sega and Nintendo stopped using their strengths as integrated software and hardware companies. This allowed a wave of new competitors to enter (since anyone can add in 'better technology'). Many of these new systems were trying to double as 'multimedia platforms' which is what the PS3 and Xbox 360 are aiming at today (and have always aimed at). Playstation succeeded much due to Sony's experience with electronics and entertainment but more by focusing on a mass game library. Population increases and multiple console ownership pushed the 'growth' of the console sector. But in terms of absolute popularity, games were not becoming more popular. Console penetration of households in America was still at where it was last reached by the NES Era. In Japan, gaming went into decline.

After fifteen years, Nintendo finally abandoned the '16-bit War Myths' (perhaps it was the death of Sega that woke Nintendo up?). The reason why the DS and Wii are selling is because they are relying on the 'truths' that created the console industry in the first place (hardware serving the software, focus on mass market, penetrating new demographics, etc). The reason why the PS3 is having trouble is because it is relying on the 'truths' created by the 16-bit generation 'war': software serving the hardware, focus on hardcore, focus on technology).

16-bit 'console war' has turned into a strange myth. People love the idea of 'console war' because they love the idea of 'competition' between console companies making better games. But they're wrong. Competing against disinterest gave us Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, Tetris and Metroid. But games competing against other games gave us Sonic, Donkey Kong Country, Starfox (and that expensive superfx chip), and other games that were very impressive then but aren't that good.

When I see Sony talk about how their "technology" practically guarantees console success, I think of the 16-bit Myth. When I see Xbox 360 Forums chatter in excitement about a '16-bit console war' between Microsoft and Sony, I shake my head. Just as the Fourth Generation (16-bit) altered all companies' thinking, by the end of this Seventh Generation, every console company will begin acting like Nintendo. Already, they are beginning to use Nintendo's talking points ('growing the market', etc).

The Console Wars are over. After this generation, no one will seriously believe the 'truths' established during the 16-bit generation.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
jarrod said:
But it utterly tanked in America... I'm not even sure we'll see Yakuza 2 here really.

Yes, only selling about as many copies of TP as the entire PS3 software library combined must be really crushing Nintendo. ;)

It's the biggest and budgest Zelda ever. Don't assume they're happy about the sales in Japan.

Alcibiades

I think with FFVII though we didn't forsee RPGs becoming big in America with that game, as well as the surprise switch to Playstation after having being announced for the N64.

That said, yeah GTA 3 came out of nowhere, and anything like that happening for any of the systems would be huge.

Wii Sports is sort of doing that for Nintendo. It's all the rage in all 3 territories and helping the Wii/console gaming frenzy more than anything else right now.

andthebeatgoeson

The Experiment said:
Sony is paying the price for its arrogance.

I suppose I could shed tears but when the head of its gaming division is telling people to get another job to support the PS3 and how they put BR in for our own good, then it deserves to get the fate its getting now.

Things may get better but the Wii is pulling ahead of the PS3 in all regions and the 360 shows no signs of slowing down in the US and Europe, as its multimillion system lead with high tie-in sw:hw ratio continues to build momentum.

PS3 needs an price drop and fast. It should be 360 prices (399/299). Even that number is too high but its better than the price right now.
It's probably good that Sony is stumbling. Sony just shows that being dominant in videogames causes all companies to go a lil crazy with power. We saw Nintendo get smoked for arrogant decisions and they are probably better for it. They were shitty to 3rd parties and stubborn about CDs and even about moving technology on the handheld. I still endorse their policy on technology but they needed a kick in the ass.

You have Sony, on one hand, attempting to gouge customers for a new format, that isn't particularly needed. The entry price for their new console in NA is 100% higher. They are at one extreme. Nintendo is at the other end of the spectrum. Besides the ports and quick cash-ins, the games look pretty decent. Not compared to PS3 and 360 but still good looking. Nintendo is dragging their feet somewhat but they have refocused on gameplay and fun. It's working and I don't feel bad about the decisions.

Sony and MS are forcing a issue that most can't take advantage, given that HD penetration won't be decent until halfway thru this generation. They have bumped up the entry price to consoles. They both need a kick in the pants. Looking at why they forced these issues, I enjoy seeing them stumble. They made the decision to gouge us when HDTV was around 10% penetration. Yeah, I understand why they did it but I just don't agree with it. Not when you have to pay $600 to play MGS4. That's the bottom line. Here's hoping for some Wii ports. Or a 360 price drop.

Jonnyram

Lapsed said:
-3rd Party Software was most important (having hits like Street Fighter 2 exclusive to the SNES shaped and pushed SNES's sales. Genesis's Mortal Kombat having blood shaped the system's reputation and pushed its sales.
Great examples... both SFII and MK were multi-platform.

16-bit 'console war' has turned into a strange myth. People love the idea of 'console war' because they love the idea of 'competition' between console companies making better games. But they're wrong. Competing against disinterest gave us Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, Tetris and Metroid. But games competing against other games gave us Sonic, Donkey Kong Country, Starfox (and that expensive superfx chip), and other games that were very impressive then but aren't that good.

Not that good to you, maybe.

I'd wager a fair amount of people would choose Sonic (and I mean old school 2D Sonic) or Starfox of the Genesis and N64 over a few or even all of the games you listed for the NES.

And nice job not mentioning greats like Chrono Trigger or FFVI or Megaman X or Demons' Crest, etc.

In MK's case, there was little question over which version was the 'better' one, right? I mean, look at all that sweat!

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Jonnyram said:

Well, I think he is correct. World Warrior sttod as and exclusivity for more than a year, and sold millions of Super Nes for sure.

Mortal Kombat was a spin dash on marketting, just because the Megadrive version was with blood.

Both version helped to sell a lot of systems on each system, but not on both.

Great post Lapsed. Really puts things into perspective.

Jonnyram said:

SFII was a SNES exclusive in the same way GTAIII was a PS2 exclusive.

MK on Genesis had blood while the SNES version had "sweat", and thus the Genesis version was the more popular of the two.

Pureauthor said:

I'd wager a fair amount of people would choose Sonic (and I mean old school 2D Sonic) or Starfox of the Genesis and N64 over a few or even all of the games you listed for the NES.

Too bad Sonic and Starfox are pieces of shit right now, though. :p
While most of what he listed remains relevant till today.

Pureauthor said:
And nice job not mentioning greats like Chrono Trigger or FFVI or Megaman X or Demons' Crest, etc.

FF and Megaman began life on the NES.

Alcibiades

As a reminder, didn't Pac-Man Collection and Namco classics sell like 1 or 2 million on the GBA.

Seems like Pac-Man is never gonna go away.

Magicpaint said:
FF and Megaman began life on the NES.

Regardless of which you like better, NES FFs and SNES FFs are something drastically different, with the exception of FFV being largely a throwback.

And I was talking specifically about Megaman X.

Pureauthor said:

In MK's case, there was little question over which version was the 'better' one, right? I mean, look at all that sweat!

All three series mentioned benefitted from technology.

Starfox, when it debuted, was the pinnacle of the "OMG look at teh GRAFIX!!" Game. Every subsequent leap diminished over time. Sonic and Mortal Kombat as well. The reasons all of these franchises are still popular is because of what they have done, not what they are doing.

DeaconKnowledge said:
All three series mentioned benefitted from technology.

Starfox, when it debuted, was the pinnacle of the "OMG look at teh GRAFIX!!" Game. Every subsequent leap diminished over time. Sonic and Mortal Kombat as well. The reasons all of these franchises are still popular is because of what they have done, not what they are doing.

Is he talking about games or franchises? I don't care about the crapfests that Sonic and Starfox have become. Lapsed was arguing that the era of competition gave us games that don't hold up today, not franchises that don't hold up today. I could make the exact same argument that NSMB is a significant step down from the Mario of NES/SNES days.

Pureauthor said:
Regardless of which you like better, NES FFs and SNES FFs are something drastically different, with the exception of FFV being largely a throwback.

And I was talking specifically about Megaman X.

I don't think they're that different, as you pointed out FFV is like a bigger, better FFIII, and while FFIV was a start to FF games having some kind of plot, the difference never became that apparent until FFVI which totally ditched the Crystal-centered story.

I think the big change came with FFVI, otherwise, IV and V aren't too different.

Megaman X was nice but it's still a spin-off and was nothing too significant; till this day, you still find most Megaman fans clamouring for the series to go back to its classic roots.

Top Bottom