• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

ethelred

LanceStern said:
The sales in Japan were good enough to announce another GCN tales game. I mean it even increased GCN sales by a substantial amount that week.

INSTEAD they make Baten Kaitos and set ridiculous sales standards.

That's what I meant anyways >_>

Point is, Namco is stupid with their sales expectations

Lanceco Bandai.

People in glass houses...

Avalon

LanceStern said:
Point is, Namco is stupid with their sales expectations

Yeah, that's been a big problem for them. I remember them thinking Xenosaga would be the next Final Fantasy series and even after it was clear that that wasn't the case (after the first game) they kept dumping money into the series and expected it to do ridiculous numbers. Hell, they had Xenosaga as a 300k seller when it only did 20k or something. :X

ethelred said:
Lanceco Bandai.

People in glass houses...

You're picking a fight ethelred; that's my job here in the Media Create threads. MINE I say.

But just to let you know, I don't start fights, I finish them

Q('.'Q)

apujanata

Avalon said:
New investors. They acquired somewhere something like 7 million shares. I'm sure someone knows more about it then me. :X

I can't say much about the first game, but the second Baten Kaitos is really great, easily the best GC RPG.... 40k though, ouch.

EDIT: Info from RPGfan. http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1572.html

Now, all they have to do is release Baten Kaitos II for Wii, and all will be good and well (hopefully). I have BK1, but not BK2 yet, since I run out of money after purchasing the Wii + Zelda.

Eteric Rice

I'm actually kind of worried about Nintendo's online plan. We haven't heard much about it. Will there be a headset? Or any kind of communication at all? Leaderboards of any kind? A friends list?

They also need to work on their store, etc. It's a good start, though.

As for Xenosaga, I don't know much about it. I wish someone would hurry up and come out with an RPG that topples Final Fantasy... Or at least challenges it. I imagine that Atlus would be the one who could pull it off if someone gave them the funds.

Avalon

Eteric Rice said:
As for Xenosaga, I don't know much about it. I wish someone would hurry up and come out with an RPG that topples Final Fantasy... Or at least challenges it. I imagine that Atlus would be the one who could pull it off if someone gave them the funds.

I don't think will ever top it. It's too widely known and far to popular.

There have been dozens of games I feel are better then Final Fantasy. But there is something about the series that just seems to resonate with everyone, even those who don't necessarily consider it the best series around. It's accessible, it's attractive and it's entertaining.

Alcibiades

I'd love to see the face on Sega & Sony execs (and Playstation fanboys around the world) if Cooking Mama actually outsells VF5...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Alcibiades said:
I'd love to see the face on Sega & Sony execs (and Playstation fanboys around the world) if Cooking Mama actually outsells VF5...
The DS game completely and utterly bombed though.

Eteric Rice said:

WoW says hi

Alcibiades

jj984jj said:
The DS game completely and utterly bombed though.
oh, well EGM labeled it a "cult classic" so I assumed there was a modest following at least... there is a drought of games though, maybe it'll stand out...

Fady K

Avalon said:
Yeah, that's been a big problem for them. I remember them thinking Xenosaga would be the next Final Fantasy series and even after it was clear that that wasn't the case (after the first game) they kept dumping money into the series and expected it to do ridiculous numbers. Hell, they had Xenosaga as a 300k seller when it only did 20k or something. :X

The Xenosaga series overall sold over 2 million copies. Thats not bad. Like Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Valkyrie Profile 2, Xenosaga 3 deserved to sell a lot more. With what Monolith did with Ep3, ive become such a fan of the dev team that Im willing to buy all titles they make from now on. Even Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Fady K

Fady K said:
The Xenosaga series overall sold over 2 million copies. Thats not bad. Like Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Valkyrie Profile 2, Xenosaga 3 deserved to sell a lot more. With what Monolith did with Ep3, ive become such a fan of the dev team that Im willing to buy all titles they make from now on. Even Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Come to think of it, Final Fantasy is the most popular but I dont think its the king of RPGs anymore. After playing Valkyrie Profile 2, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, Breath of Fire V Dragon Quarter, Xenosaga 3, Baten Kaitos Origins, Nocturne - these are all awesome RPGs IMO that deserve to sell just as much as FF.

Alcibiades said:

In this day and age, anything goes. Seeing the Legend of Zelda TP crushed by countless other Nintendo games that released around the same time is enough to have me expect such stuff.

Avalon

Oh Fady K... Edit button is your friend. :lol

Anyways, two million might sound good... but Namco expected far more which is why the series no longer exist.

Read my previous post on the FF's popularity above.

enishi

Deku said:
Sensationalists. Right now if there's a shortage, its the Chinese illegals buying it all up to resell on the Internet.

Sony should put out a press release saying Chinese resellers have the other 500k PS3s they shipped to Japan.

Sorry, no. They import from Hong Kong now. There are tons of PS3 available here provided by SCEH officially. And the retail price is the cheapest in the world although they need to buy the bundle pack

Oh, the bitter tears about the tales series, I almost have forgotten how good they tasted...:lol

In other news, first Flight-plan published game (Dragon Shadow Spell) doesn't do too good...but come on, what a bad timing. Hack GU 3 will do the usual 100k and so the trilogy will have done around 400k, not bad for splitting a game into three parts. I don't remember how Shining Force Neo did so I'm not going to comment on EXA.

Its better for Atlus to undership than to overship eh? Good start for a new IP.

jesusraz

jj984jj said:
I hope you also plan to get a Wii Fady K.

Glad you pulled up that interview quote again :) Baten Kaitos and a Xenosaga spin-off on Wii would go down nicely. What bothered me is that they want to do BK on the DS, but it was cancelled and they're apparently still waiting on whether it can be greenlighted again or not... *rolls eyes*

Hopefully we'll get more info on Disaster: Day of Crisis in the next few months so we can see if Monolith Soft works even better when guided by Nintendo.

By the way, very pleasing sales for Etrian Odyssey, and it's been confirmed for a US release as well, so with any luck will pick up enough worldwide sales to deem it worthy of a sequel. Excite Truck has started more favourably than I'd imagined, and Wario's a bit lower than I thought. Perhaps it'll have stronger legs than Super Princess Peach did. It's a really fun game, from what I've played so far, and the touch-screen controls aren't as annoying as some may think.

EDIT - Forgot to add these in:

31.) Tetris DS (NDS, Nintendo)
32.) Momotarou Electric Railway 16 (PS2, Hudson)
33.) GT Pro Series (Wii, MTO) - NEW ENTRY
34.) Tamagotchi Corner Shop 2 (NDS, Bandai Namco)
35.) Electric Brain Repetition (NDS, Shogakukan Inc.)
36.) Fushigi no Shiren (NDS, Sega) 7,400 | 147,000
37.) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PSP, Konami)
38.) Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix) - 7,200 | 964,000
39.) Gundam Seed (PS2, Bandai Namco)
40.) Resistance (PS3, SCE) - 6,300 | 100,000
41.) Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA, Square Enix)
42.) Stock Trader Kabutore! (NDS, Konami)
43.) Power Pro Kun Pocket 9 (NDS, Konami) - 5,800 | 100,000
44.) Rockman Pegasus (NDS, Capcom)
45.) Live Power Pro Baseball 13 (PS2, Konami)
46.) Sense of Pitch Training (NDS, Success) - NEW ENTRY
47.) Naruto Fighter (NDS, Takara Tomy)
48.) Gundam (PS3, Bandai Namco) - 5,200 | 116,000
49.) Kirarin Revolution (NDS, Konami)
50.) Mario Basket 3-on-3 (NDS, Nintendo)

55.) Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (NDS, Square Enix) - 4,700 | 82,000
67.) Bleach (Wii, Sega) - 3,700 | 46,000
72.) Elebits (Wii, Konami) - 3,500 | 35,000

soundwave05 said:
If the PS3 stumbles in Japan, or doesn't build a userbase fast enough (and I'm not saying they can't turn this around) ... it throws into question a lot. MGS4 probably would have to go to the 360 as well for instance for Konami to be able to hit their sales targets for the game.

FF13 might go to the Wii entirely and start from scratch. Of course again, I don't see Sony screwing up that badly ... this might have just been a bad week or something. *shrugs* Nintendo hasn't even launched things like Big Brain Academy Wii or Smash Bros. Brawl or Animal Crossing Wii or Wii Fitness ... this is crazy.

It is incredible. Now it is clear that the Nintendo DS has not only expanded the market, but it has changed totally the industry in Japan and it has damaged the Playstation's brand as anyone could predict. The WIi is surfing on Nintendo DS's strenght and Wii Sports is driving Wii's sales. At this point 1 million for Wii Sports and Wii Play is not enough; they could reach 1.5-2 millions easily if they follow the DS's games trend to sell a lot in the long term.

jesusraz

jj984jj said:
Where's our English Tingle screens jesusraz?

I'm as frustrated by the lack of them as others are! Plus I wasn't allowed to take photos of the pre-release version I played. You could always just read my hands-on and take my word for it ;) I know it's a lot to ask for, but hey, nothing more I can do unfortunately :(

duckroll said:
Unconfirmed first day figures for this week:

.hack//GU Vol3 - 70k
Shining Force EXA - 64k
Wario of Seven - 60k
Excite Truck - 32k
Dragon Shadow Spell - 30k
Sekaiju no Meikyu - 23k

Good for Wario. Good for Excite Truck too. For an occidental game is not a bad performance.

Fio Maravilha said:
I can see from here the satanic smile on Yamauchi face.

yamauchi.jpg

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
cvxfreak said:
BTW CVS isn't it time for you to change your avatar to "PS3 23k"?
NintendosBooger said:
WoW says hi
WoW says "hi I'm a piece of crap".

Plus WoW is an MMORPG, which he obviously wasn't talking about, RPGs and MMORPGs are very different domains.

Thanks for playing, though.
jesusraz said:
it can still reach the million!

GO FFIII GO, YOU CAN DO IT
Pureauthor said:
Uh... you... I... but ethel... he... you...

Bwah?

(Media-Create threads seem to consistently bring out the stupid in people.)
Nope, it's just that it consistently brings out Lance.

max-pain said:
Yakuza 1 over 650k??? (Famitsu)
Very near, its last week, this week is most likely above that already.

Original release 330-350k (don't remember, I get confused with Rogue Galaxy). The budget re-release has sold 300k already!

And the sequel >500k at high price, SEGA really does need to look after this franchise. Hopefully Yakuza 2 sees a better localization (and dual VA or burn).

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
jesusraz said:
EDIT - Forgot to add these in:

31.) Tetris DS (NDS, Nintendo)
32.) Momotarou Electric Railway 16 (PS2, Hudson)
33.) GT Pro Series (Wii, MTO) - NEW ENTRY
34.) Tamagotchi Corner Shop 2 (NDS, Bandai Namco)
35.) Electric Brain Repetition (NDS, Shogakukan Inc.)
36.) Fushigi no Shiren (NDS, Sega) 7,400 | 147,000
37.) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PSP, Konami)
39.) Gundam Seed (PS2, Bandai Namco)
40.) Resistance (PS3, SCE) - 6,300 | 100,000
41.) Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA, Square Enix)
42.) Stock Trader Kabutore! (NDS, Konami)
43.) Power Pro Kun Pocket 9 (NDS, Konami) - 5,800 | 100,000
44.) Rockman Pegasus (NDS, Capcom)
45.) Live Power Pro Baseball 13 (PS2, Konami)
46.) Sense of Pitch Training (NDS, Success) - NEW ENTRY
47.) Naruto Fighter (NDS, Takara Tomy)
48.) Gundam (PS3, Bandai Namco) - 5,200 | 116,000
49.) Kirarin Revolution (NDS, Konami)
50.) Mario Basket 3-on-3 (NDS, Nintendo)

55.) Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (NDS, Square Enix) - 4,700 | 82,000
67.) Bleach (Wii, Sega) - 3,700 | 46,000
72.) Elebits (Wii, Konami) - 3,500 | 35,000
Really hilarious. Firstly seeing Resistance as the best selling PS3 game in Japan and secondly, even with these low hardware sales, 6k sales for the best selling game on a platform is ****ing disappointing. Tie ratio for PS3 is awfully low.

Branduil

I still don't understand what people are playing on their PS3s. It seems like they've sold less PS3 software than hardware every week.

ziran

Wyndstryker said:
Virtua Fighter and DMC can and probably will sell. But who's buying them? Core gamers that probably already have a PS3 or are already planning to get them. It'll push sales but still won't pull the millions that Nintendo is pulling on games a fraction of the cost. Those two franchises are closer to the core audience which is a small market compared to what Nintendo's hitting.

PS2 was huge because of it's diversity. Right now, PS3 doesn't have that same diversity and is almost strictly aiming core gamer right now.

And yeah, PS3 is well in stock in Japan since Sony said they got a million shipped over there. If they ain't selling that million like hotcakes, then there's a problem somewhere.
this is the biggest issue imo. the reason the playstation brand succeeded was because it was the 3rd party console of choice. it afforded these companies a profitable platform for their games, at the moment ps3 isn't doing that. in fact sw sales on ps3 are terrible!

it's no good if ps3 is only being bought for major games and titles like ridge racer struggle to sell 100k on a 500k+ user base. the danger is a gc like scenario of wait until ___ aaa game, then hardware will sell, because the reality is those buying the console now are doing so for the aaa titles. add to this the fact dbz wii, a quick port of a ps2 game, is selling relatively well, and developers have a lot to worry about.

i don't see how 25k post holiday launch, with under 600k sold, can be seen as anything but a bad thing. sony needs to get their act together.

wii, on the other hand, is selling very well. impressive sales all round. nintendo is just getting started with their wii sw, i'm looking forward to seeing what they come out with over the coming months.

edit - surprising to see ds sales lower than wii, but good to see it higher than last year.

max-pain

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Very near, its last week, this week is most likely above that already.

Original release 330-350k (don't remember, I get confused with Rogue Galaxy). The budget re-release has sold 300k already!

And the sequel >500k at high price, SEGA really does need to look after this franchise. Hopefully Yakuza 2 sees a better localization (and dual VA or burn).

Yakuza was at 340k at the end of last february (Famitsu). So the original release definitely did more than 350k...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ziran said:
this is the biggest issue imo. the reason the playstation brand succeeded was because it was the 3rd party console of choice. it afforded these companies a profitable platform for their games, at the moment ps3 isn't doing that. in fact sw sales on ps3 are terrible!

Yeah sure. Cos sales of the first PS2 games scored like millions of copies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
TTP said:
Yeah sure. Cos sales of the first PS2 games scored like millions of copies.

when ps2 launched there wasn`t a strong rival in japan - sony had the time 2 wait for gt3,mgs2 or ffx... this time - wii is there...

Branduil said:
I still don't understand what people are playing on their PS3s. It seems like they've sold less PS3 software than hardware every week.
The only reason I bought one was to beat my friends GTHD demo fastest time. Now I've done that, I'll be waiting until VF until I turn it on again... I'm certainly not going to submit to any games here in Japan. Especially as software like Motorstorm seem to be Beta versions.

Deku

Banned
Here's the typical Sony view (and I'm convinced some of their executives believe in this too)

PS3 is a 10 year platform, so it deserves a slow start. Wii /360 is irrelevant. I can already see the future Sony PR/Kutaragism writing itself.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
cw_sasuke said:
when ps2 launched there wasn`t a strong rival in japan - sony had the time 2 wait for gt3,mgs2 or ffx... this time - wii is there...

Oh Wii is on another league altogether. PS3 wont catch it in the foreseeable future. Expecially in Japan. As a next generation platform tho? I can see no strong rivial in Japan.

I hope you don't wish the Wii to "win" everything globally cos the day console gaming will be all about Nintendo games and non-games is the day I'll quit gaming. Hopefully the 360 will keep the next gen torch burning while the PS3 offers its contribute to the cause.

TTP said:
Oh Wii is on another league altogether. PS3 wont catch it in the foreseeable future. Expecially in Japan. As a next generation platform tho? I can see no strong rivial in Japan.

I hope you don't wish the Wii to "win" everything globally cos the day console gaming will be all about Nintendo games and non-games is the day I'll quit gaming. Hopefully the 360 will keep the next gen torch burning while the PS3 offers its contribute to the cause.
Quit being a doom thinker. You said it yourself, Wii is on another league altogether, so don't worry if the Wii comes out on top this gen, the PS3 en X360 will have more than enough great games...

Top Bottom