• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

Road said:
I personally can't wait for the "bomba" talk when S-E ships 1.9 million copies of FFXIII and it'll look like it'll only sell 1.8.
Don't worry, wubby, I've been sharpening my teeth for FFXIII ever since I heard the words "fivehundredandninetynineusdollars". I'll be there with fucking BELLS on.

test_account

XP-39C²
duckroll said:
Yakuza 3 and MGS4 both failed to sell as much as the previous installment of their respective series on the PS2. Meanwhile MH3 has surpassed the previous installment of the series on the PS2. Let's talk about that instead. :)
The Monster Hunter serie did see quite the rise in popularity since the last console Monster Hunter game though, how does this compare to the Yakuza and the Metal Gear Solid series?

I am under the impression that the Yakuza and MGS series didnt see a big increase in interest during the last 2-3 years compared to how the interest in the Monster Hunter serie did increase in interest over the last 2-3 years, and therefor it wasnt necessarily expected that Yakuza 3 and MGS4 would sell more (or maybe equally as well?) than the previous games in the Yakuza and MGS series. And maybe seening that the relatively low PS3 hardware sales might have resulted in lower expectations as well?

But with the Monster Hunter serie, seeing the increase interest/popularity in this serie, i would guess that it was expected that MH3 would sell more than the previous console MH games. When i say "expected", i dont just think about people at NeoGAF etc., but also about what Capcom expected. I would at least assume that Capcom expected MH3 to sell more than the previous console MH games, as Capcom also saw the increased interest in the Monster Hunter serie.

Granted, this increased interest in the Monster Hunter serie happend on a portable system (PSP), so there might have been no guarantee that this increased interest would happend on a standalone console as well though, but i think that Capcom expected that some of this increased interest would also affect a console Monster Hunter game as well at least :)

EDIT: I am a bit late with this reply, sorry, but i didnt see your post before now and i wanted to reply to it :)

EDIT 2: I added some text.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
test_account said:
The Monster Hunter serie did see quite the rise in popularity since the last console Monster Hunter game though, how does this compare to the Yakuza and the Metal Gear Solid series?

Granted, this increased interest in the Monster Hunter serie happend on a portable system (PSP), so there might have been no guarantee that this increased interest would happend on a standalone console as well though, but i think that Capcom expected some increased interest at least :)
The transfer to a portable system (with local link-up play) was the direct cause of the increase in interest/popularity though, its not like there were any huge changes in the games that transformed it from a mid tier game to a huge best seller title.

test_account

XP-39C²
poppabk said:
The transfer to a portable system (with local link-up play) was the direct cause of the increase in interest/popularity though, its not like there were any huge changes in the games that transformed it from a mid tier game to a huge best seller title.
Ye, it is true that the console Monster Hunter games and the portable Monster Hunter games arent really that much different when it comes to the gameplay/mechanics as you say, i agree. I also agree to that the portability factor is probably one of the biggest reasons why the Mosnter Hunter serie did see such a big increase as you say. But i would guess that it was expected that the increased interest in the Monster Hunter serie would affect the console MH games as well, at least affected the interest in console MH games a bit :) I was just wondering how this increased interest situation was regarding the Yakuza and the Metal Gear Solid series too. Was there some increased interest in the Yakuza and the Metal Gear Solid serie in the last 2-3 years or so?

MH3 has sold about 720k copies (Famitsu numbers) in 2 sales weeks (or 9 days to be more exact), and this is already more than how much MH1 and MH2 for the PS2 sold in their lifetime. MH2 even had a "BEST" version released, and MH3 still outsold MH2. Maybe one of the reasons for that MH3 already have sold more than MH1 and MH2 is because that MH3 had a bigger adverticing campaign (i think?) compared to the adverticing campaigns that MH1 and MH2 had, but i would also guess that the increased interest in the Monster Hunter serie over the last 2 years or so are one of the reasons why MH3 easily outsold MH1 and MH2 for the PS2 at least :)

But who knows, it might be that MH3 could have sold just as well as it has done so far if it wasnt for the PSP games as well, so it might not be sure that the increased interest in the Monster Hunter serie is a big reason for why MH3 has sold this well so far. The Monster Hunter games were afterall rather popular (over 500k copies sold) on the PS2 as well, so maybe MH3 would have sold just as good even if the PSP Monster Hunter games werent released?

EDIT: I added some text.

schuelma said:
I think the problem is simply that the initial shipment was just too ambitious, at least with the standalone units. If Capcom had only shipped 800K total I think everyone would be saying how good its selling, etc.

Well put yourself in Capcom's position.

This game could have gone two ways: It could have been a MASSIVE hit like the PSP versions or just simply sell sizably more than the previous console versions. I mean yeah NOW we know that it is true the series mostly became such a phenomenon due to it working so well in a portable arena (much like Animal Crossing) but Capcom wasn't sure of that at the time.

If Capcom shipped 800k than there would be a chance that the game would be hugely supply constrained. If Capcom shipped 1.2k there would be a chance that the game would have tremendously overshipped. Capcom decided to just settle for the middle so whatever happened they wouldn't get bit too hard. The game is essentially performing on a significant margin better than the previous console versions. So while Capcom has over-shipped it isn't by a huge margin and they will most definitely sell the first shipment by the end of this year.

I can see why some might be disappointed that the game most likely will not be a legendary seller like the PSP iterations. But this "not doing so good" and "bomba" talk is just flatout fucking ridiculous. Especially when including the factors such as it being a portable heavy series making a debut on a console which doesn't have a userbase for the game yet (hence the games sole purpose is creating a userbase for the series).

PS3 on it's way to a record low, DQIX on track to pass 4M and beyond, now MH3 is a weird one with both trackers tracking oddly, the third week will be an interesting one.

Oh and that dyls guy really lives up to his tag. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Well put yourself in Capcom's position.

This game could have gone two ways: It could have been a MASSIVE hit like the PSP versions or just simply sell sizably more than the previous console versions. I mean yeah NOW we know that it is true the series mostly became such a phenomenon due to it working so well in a portable arena (much like Animal Crossing) but Capcom wasn't sure of that at the time.

If Capcom shipped 800k than there would be a chance that the game would be hugely supply constrained. If Capcom shipped 1.2k there would be a chance that the game would have tremendously overshipped. Capcom decided to just settle for the middle so whatever happened they wouldn't get bit too hard. The game is essentially performing on a significant margin better than the previous console versions. So while Capcom has over-shipped it isn't by a huge margin and they will most definitely sell the first shipment by the end of this year.

I can see why some might be disappointed that the game most likely will not be a legendary seller like the PSP iterations. But this "not doing so good" and "bomba" talk is just flatout fucking ridiculous. Especially when including the factors such as it being a portable heavy series making a debut on a console which doesn't have a userbase for the game yet (hence the games sole purpose is creating a userbase for the series).

Yeah, we'll see. It could surprise in the weeks ahead.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I guess the Monster Hunter 3 sales show that the PSP sales wont translate into huge sales on the Wii. I had a feeling the expectations of 1~1.5 million unites sold wouldnt be realistic.

The PSP have probably made some hardcore Monster Hunter fans that will buy anything with the brand. But I dont think its likely that Monster Hunter 3 will never reach 2 million or more.

My fair expectation for Monster Hunter 3 as of now is 1.2 million worldwide.

Top Bottom