• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

Hero said:
MC. By 2009's end.

maybe

What'd you ban Tabris for?

Tabris was being Tabris. Sometimes it takes a month or three to clean up his messes. Segata promised to take care of his pet, but we're always left doing the dirty work. :mad:

Dragona Akehi said:
Tabris was being Tabris. Sometimes it takes a month or three to clean up his messes. Segata promised to take care of his pet, but we're always left doing the dirty work. :mad:

I thought he was officially kicked out of Media-Create threads after the Mother 3 debacle.

Segata, he's a lot like Kenny from South Park. He dies in every episode.

Hero said:
MC. By 2009's end.

maybe

What'd you ban Tabris for?
Some GAFfers are like the walking dead, or those kids from those stupid movies where they were supposed to die but got out of it at the last minute. You know, the ones with that kid from Mighty Ducks. God, what's the name of those movies? Terminal Fate? No, that's not right. Dude, You Were Supposed to Die? Shit, I can't remember.

Anyway. Said posters probably would have been perma-banned years ago if not for amusing the right people. However they often step over the line of amusement and get put in the corner for a while. It doesn't take much for these people, since, as I mentioned, they rightfully might have been perma-banned before. Tabris is one of those chaps.

MechaX

Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyway. Said posters probably would have been perma-banned years ago if not for amusing the right people. However they often step over the line of amusement and get put in the corner for a while. It doesn't take much for these people, since, as I mentioned, they rightfully might have been perma-banned before. Tabris is one of those chaps.

His "Xenogears = Best thing since Renaissance" topic was pretty much the main reason I started to lurk on GAF in the first place. But it feels... empty not having a Cobra Commander equivalent to harass GAF daily.

EDIT: Got my posters crossed. Still, his role as a Cobra Commander esque.. poster was amusing enough to read.

Dragona Akehi said:
He is my sweet prince. Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. ; ;

Stopsign said:
I thought he was officially kicked out of Media-Create threads after the Mother 3 debacle.

Segata, he's a lot like Kenny from South Park. He dies in every episode.

Sadly, Tabris can be Tabris in any thread. I just refused to continue papering the MC threads.

MechaX said:
His "Xenogears = Best thing since Renaissance" topic was pretty much the main reason I started to lurk on GAF in the first place. But it feels... empty not having a Cobra Commander equivalent to harass GAF daily.

Wrong poster.

bmf said:
It's amazing that Tabris can still manage to be the topic of a thread that he's been banned from while he's currently banned.
Well, it's either that or go back to the previous discussion, which I think all would agree would be quite silly.

Lightning

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
There's always a need to be aggressive towards dfyb. He's never posted anything worthwhile and he makes the whole world a worse place just by being in it.
Boy you're ruthless.

Anyway, MH3 sales are better than I first thought they would be. I hope FFXIII follows that trend and are better than I hope as well, although I doubt it as my hopes are sky high. :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FF XIII is the first FF game since X where I didn't have a good feel for where it would end up. That's more to do with how X pretty much appeared out of nowhere than anything else.

I think XIII will sell maybe just a bit better than XII in Japan when all is said and done. Maybe just a bit worse. Worldwide, no idea, but then again this isn't the thread for that!

MotherFan

Lightning said:
Boy you're ruthless.

Anyway, MH3 sales are better than I first thought they would be. I hope FFXIII follows that trend and are better than I hope as well, although I doubt it as my hopes are sky high. :D

What are your expectations?

Man God said:
FF XIII is the first FF game since X where I didn't have a good feel for where it would end up. That's more to do with how X pretty much appeared out of nowhere than anything else.

I think XIII will sell maybe just a bit better than XII in Japan when all is said and done. Maybe just a bit worse. Worldwide, no idea, but then again this isn't the thread for that!

XII just barely sold worse than X in Japan. XIII would have to sell 2.3-2.4mil to match it when the PS3 user base currently is just over 3mil. Not going to happen in the slightest.

PS2 - Final Fantasy X 2.325.215
PS2 - Final Fantasy XII 2.322.541

That is without any BEST editions added to the totals. I think Final Fantasy X sold upwards of 3mil with those included, while XII sold quite a bit less. As far as my expectations for XIII, I think 1.8mil total would be a really good number to reach for. Though I don't think it's going to make it there without a few re-releases to help it towards that number.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Boy don't I look silly for saying that. I must have had worldwide numbers on the brain when I thought about how well XII did, and turned those into much lower Japanese sales then there really was! I thought it was much closer to the million mark than that!

Well then, yes, FF XIII is going to without a doubt (or a Wii, DS, PSP port out of nowhere) sell worse than any FF mainline game has in Japan in a long long while. Including XI.

duckroll

Stopsign said:
XII just barely sold worse than X in Japan. XIII would have to sell 2.3-2.4mil to match it when the PS3 user base currently is just over 3mil. Not going to happen in the slightest.

Do we know what the user base of the PS2 was in Japan when FFX was released?

Man God said:

No way it sells better than XII with the PS3's install base. I'd say that 1.5 million would be a good amount for it. I don't really see how any PS3 game could sell much more than that in Japan unless thing's change drastically.

king zell

0103.jpg

109.jpg

Lightning

Banned
MotherFan said:
What are your expectations?
At least 2mil in Japan.

I still think it's possible with a PS3 slim along with a decent price cut. If MGS4 can get to 700k on the PS3 userbase then FFXIII should be able to triple it.

duckroll

Lightning said:
At least 2mil in Japan.

I still think it's possible with a PS3 slim along with a decent price cut. If MGS4 can get to 700k on the PS3 userbase then FFXIII should be able to triple it.

I think there's a good chance it'll hit 2 million too, but I don't see why FFXIII would certainly triple MGS4's LTD. That logic is flawed. MGS games typically sell about 900k in Japan. There has been no decline until MGS4, it's relatively a solid 900k fanbase. FF on the other hand, has been on a decline. Since FF8, each new game has sold less than the one before. No PS2 FF game has sold 2.7 million, which would be tripling what MGS2 or 3 did. So considering that, if we triple 700k and shave off a 200-300k drop-off since FF is on a decline, we'll end up with a LTD under 2 million. Shocking, but totally possible. :eek:

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
psst ducky: you're replying to yourself again.

Someone has to provide me with the answers I seek! If no one else here is capable of doing it, I'll just have to do it myself! :lol

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
Someone has to provide me with the answers I seek! If no one else here is capable of doing it, I'll just have to do it myself! :lol
I like your way of thinking.

In other news, Amazon JP has dropped the price of Tri's standalone slightly to about ¥5300. Comes with a figure too. With free shipping, it makes it competiive with the store above selling for ¥4980.

MotherFan

Lightning said:
At least 2mil in Japan.

Slim is not going to save the ps3 in japan, nor is the pricecut. Japan is phasing from consoles to handhelds (well, they already have it seems)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now that DQ IX and MHTri are out, FF XIII is the next real milestone release, isn't it? I don't think too many people will be up in arms over Wii Fit plus doing well week over week! Been there done that!

duckroll said:
Not looking good for FFXIII!

I've been expecting FFXIII to underperform its predecessors for some time now. I think it'll look pretty bad compared to the PS2 installments (maybe even X-2, which did 1.9m in its first release.)

After seeing all the tri-related shenanigans that went on in here while I was out of town, though, I feel fairly confident it's going to outsell MH3. :lol

cvxfreak

Man God said:
Now that DQ IX and MHTri are out, FF XIII is the next real milestone release, isn't it? I don't think too many people will be up in arms over Wii Fit plus doing well week over week! Been there done that!
Pokemon HeartGold and Soul Silver

Doubt they'll be bigger than DQIX, but I think they'll sell much better than FireRed and LeafGreen. Over 3 Million this year is what I predict.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is what I get for ignoring sales age and playing actual games for the last few months, I forget about Pokemon remakes. That's only a few more weeks away!

I think people hanging onto the idea that FFXIII is going to sell the same or better than FFXII need to brace themselves for impact. Even in the best of situations I think this game was headed for a decline vs previous installments, and the PS3 is definitely not the best of situations.

There had better be a hefty price cut on the PS3 before this game is released or it could get very very ugly.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think people hanging onto the idea that FFXIII is going to sell the same or better than FFXII need to brace themselves for impact. Even in the best of situations I think this game was headed for a decline vs previous installments, and the PS3 is definitely not the best of situations.

There had better be a hefty price cut on the PS3 before this game is released or it could get very very ugly.

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "ugly" honestly. I think (I hope?) Square Enix has their expectations in check, and will be expecting a LTD of about 2 million. It would be unrealistic to expect it to do as well as the previous installments, or to do better.

If Square Enix is not completely incompetent (I feel they are incompetent, but not completely yet), they will be looking at maximizing their production/profit by being able to sell FFXIII and FF Versus XIII one year after another, and then maybe selling a substantial upgrade in the form of FFXIII International after that, etc.

Such a scenario would by no means be ugly. But if you are referring to MC threads in particular, then yes, by all means I expect to participate in a slaughter, come the release of FFXIII. :lol

cvxfreak said:
Pokemon HeartGold and Soul Silver

Doubt they'll be bigger than DQIX, but I think they'll sell much better than FireRed and LeafGreen. Over 3 Million this year is what I predict.

Yeah, 3 million sounds like a good prediction to me. It's been even longer since GS released since it had been for RG when FRLG came out, and coupled with the the DS printing money, I think that beating FireRed and LeafGreen is almost a foregone conclusion.

donny2112

I don't think I'm going to be able to post the MC thread this week. Gpara hasn't updated, Inside-Games has a text block instead of the Top 30 chart ( :( ), and I'm unavailable probably until Friday night, as usual. Famitsu data is up if someone wants to start a thread with that until the MC data comes out, though.

Looking forward to Cheesemeister's parser making a return someday. :)

DSL 6700
DSi 65000
PSP 34000
Wii 46000
PS3 6300
PS2 6200
360 3500

MC has MH3 at 137K at #2.

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm honestly of the minority opinion that FF has lost a lot of what made it a special brand 5 years ago. It's not even exclusive anymore, and it's sales have been met and surpassed by numerous other franchises like Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing. DQ on the other hand is as sacred as ever.

I think FFXIII will do at least 1.8 Million though. I think it's actually a mistake not to release the 360 version in Japan either since they've put their other major brands on it already and there are over 1 Million of the things in Japan already.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Segata Sanshiro said:

That being said it is pretty much a lock for best selling third party PS3 game. Sure, it's like being the prettiest girl at an all leper dance but hey, you're still the best!

Also I wonder if it has an honest chance at being the best selling Japanese PS3 game. It's only competition at this point would be GT5 of course and I have a feeling that the series decline problem of PS3 games will not escape even that storied franchise.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
I think it's actually a mistake not to release the 360 version in Japan either since they've put their other major brands on it already and there are over 1 Million of the things in Japan already.

They're obviously saving that for FFXIII International, so they can feature ENGLISH voice acting in the 360 release to appeal to the HARDCORE Japanese 360 fanbase which loves WESTERN games. Amirite?

duckroll said:
They're obviously saving that for FFXIII International, so they can feature ENGLISH voice acting in the 360 release to appeal to the HARDCORE Japanese 360 fanbase which loves WESTERN games. Amirite?
Which might also conveniently sidestep any particular agreements they may or may not have with Sony with regards to exclusivity on the original SKU.

Duckworth, old bean, you're a genius!

cvxfreak

I hope you're right, ducky. I still have fond memories of FFXII IZJS's presence in the ¥1980 bargain bin in September 07. :D

MotherFan

donny2112 said:
I don't think I'm going to be able to post the MC thread this week. Gpara hasn't updated, Inside-Games has a text block instead of the Top 30 chart ( :( ), and I'm unavailable probably until Friday night, as usual. Famitsu data is up if someone wants to start a thread with that until the MC data comes out, though.

Looking forward to Cheesemeister's parser making a return someday. :)

DSL 6700
DSi 65000
PSP 34000
Wii 46000
PS3 6300
PS2 6200
360 3500

Wow HD consoles look like shit. Wii pretty good again this week, ds starting to taper off, psp doing fine.

Is this lowest we have seen ps3 yet?

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
DSL 6700
DSi 65000
PSP 34000
Wii 46000
PS3 6300
PS2 6200
360 3500

PS3 @ 6.3k?

Holy ouch if not a typo.

Are the 'Slim is imminent' rumours running rampant in Japan right about now? Either way, it's certainly a good time for it to release.

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
I hope you're right, ducky. I still have fond memories of FFXII IZJS's presence in the ¥1980 bargain bin in September 07. :D

I think the problem with FFXII International was that there's pretty much no new content in the game at all. Aside from a massive gameplay system tweak which hardcore players will appreciate, there's nothing there to attract a casual FF fan to buy it again, unlike FFX-2 and KH/KH2's re-releases.

Top Bottom