• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 16-22, 2009

duckroll

markatisu said:
If the battle is against the 360 in Japan then its already lost :lol

But it is. With the Go doing 3900 this week, it could very well be below the 360. The 360 did 4k last week, and 4.1k the week before that.

BlazingDarkness said:
then there's your answer :D

How is that an answer. By this week, I mean they literally started like... yesterday or so. Are consumers in Japan time travelers now?

duckroll said:
How is that an answer. By this week, I mean they literally started like... yesterday or so. Are consumers in Japan time travelers now?

Uh shit, read your post wrong :lol
I have no idea then.
Good bundles?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
But it is. With the Go doing 3900 this week, it could very well be below the 360. The 360 did 4k last week, and 4.1k the week before that.

And realistically even if the Go receives a huge surge to 5-6k weekly average, it'll take it years to catch up to the 360 in LTD. Bill Gates has this one in the BANK.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
onken said:
Yes you keep implying that hardware sales are in line with 2008 when it's blatantly not the case.

Firstly, it did drop the week after WE came out (w/c Dec 1) last year, then started going up again the week after that. Which means the holiday ramp-up (i.e. hardware spike without software stimulus) didn't start until w/c Dec 8th. This year we're seeing an apparently ramp up w/c Nov 23, 2 weeks earlier and at a higher figure, which is surprising.

This is aside from the fact that WE came out several weeks earlier, so there was never any chance of the hardware bump running on to December, unlike last year.

First off, where did I say hardware sales were in line with 2008?

Second, my point was that I think there was evidence that the "holiday spike" (as pathetic as it was last year for PS3) started around this time. Yes, sales went from 34K to 30K the week after WE. This year the sales went down from about 49K to 38K. It held better last year which tells me sales had started to go up at that time. Also the bump from last year for WE was bigger this year which again tells me sales had started to go up.

I don't know why you are trying to argue with me, to be honest. I'm saying that sales went up this week because of the holiday sales season starting. You agree. I don't get it.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
And realistically even if the Go receives a huge surge to 5-6k weekly average, it'll take it years to catch up to the 360 in LTD. Bill Gates has this one in the BANK.

At the current rate, it will take another 6 months for them to even sell out the initial 150k shipment. :lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
schuelma said:
I think hitting 100K is a lock..the only question is how high. Some people have said 200K.. I don't see it getting that high, but I think 150K or a bit more is definitely possible.

My gut's telling me that FFXIII has the same anticipation behind it that FFVII had with the PS2. If that is indeed the case then I'm thinking 300K+ for the first week, and between 250K to 300K for the rest of the year. Or, every PS3 made is a PS3 sold.

Then again, my gut's telling me to eat something. That could have something to do with it. :(

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
The DSiLL seems to have taken over, so the sales of the DSi and DSL are insignificant now. The DSi is probably still higher than the PSP Go, but the Go is listed because it's actually a current product. :lol
DSi sales have remained steady despite the launch of DSi LL. I won't be surprised if it has sold similarly to PSP-3000 this week.

Comparison time (famitsu first weeks)

Layton remains very strong despite Level 5 efforts to prevent that. More than doubled its first day sales. I still believe 1 million isn't out of the question. The movie and the 100 hour bonus RPG should help it.

01 . [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) - 119.816 / 119.816 (15/02/07)
01 . [NDS] Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (Level 5) - 307.771 / 307.771 (29/11/07)
01 . [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 360.778 / 360.778 (27/11/08)
01 . [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5) - 301.000 / 301.000 (26/11/09)

16 . [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson) - 62.738 / 62.738 (18/12/08)
xx . [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson) - 5.000 / 5.000 (26/11/09)

01 . [SFC] Super Momotaro Railway III (Hudson) - 257.237 / 257.237 (09/12/94)
04 . [SFC] Super Momotaro Railway DX (Hudson) - 116.019 / 116.019 (08/12/95)
04 . [SFC] Momotaro Railway HAPPY (Hudson) - 69.590 / 69.590 (06/12/96)
07 . [SAT] Momotaro Railway Travel Journal (Hudson) - 50.266 / 50.266 (25/09/97)
04 . [PS1] Momotaro Railway 7 (Hudson) - 424.305 / 424.305 (23/12/97)
22 . [NGB] Momotaro Railway jr. (Hudson) - 10.931 / 10.931 (31/07/98)
12 . [PS1] Momotaro Railway Legend (Hudson) - 163.569 / 163.569 (23/12/98)
06 . [PS1] Momotaro Railway V (Hudson) - 113.831 / 113.831 (16/12/99)
17 . [NGB] Momotaro Railway Legend 1> 2 (Hudson) - 24.723 / 24.723 (01/01/01)
03 . [PS2] Momotaro Railway X: Kyushu Chapter x Batten to Have Made Love (Hudson) - 101.691 / 101.691 (13/12/01)
04 . [PS2] Momotaro Railway 11: Black Bombie Shutsugen no Kan (Hudson) - 64.553 / 64.553 (05/12/02)
20 . [GCN] Momotaro Railway 11: Black Bombie Shutsugen no Kan (Hudson) - 10.787 / 10.787 (05/12/02)
06 . [PS2] Momotaro Railway 12: West Chapter I Waited Too! (Hudson) - 94.482 / 94.482 (11/12/03)
30 . [GCN] Momotaro Railway 12: West Chapter I Waited Too! (Hudson) - 9.550 / 9.550 (11/12/03)
01 . [PS2] Momotaro Railway: USA (Hudson) - 122.329 / 122.329 (18/11/04)
20 . [GBA] Momotaro Railway G (Hudson) - 9.883 / 9.883 (30/06/05)
05 . [PS2] Momotaro Railway 15: Godai Bombie Toujou! no Kan (Hudson) - 77.080 / 77.080 (08/12/05)
07 . [PS2] Momotaro Railway 16: Trip to Hokkaido (Hudson) - 68.041 / 68.041 (07/12/06)
03 . [NDS] Momotaro Railway DS: Tokyo & Japan (Hudson) - 71.825 / 71.825 (26/04/07)
25 . [WII] Momotaro Railway 16: Trip to Hokkaido (Hudson) - 8.058 / 8.058 (19/07/07)
xx . [360] Momotaro Railway 16: Gold (Hudson) - 1.352 / 1.352 (06/12/07)
14 . [NDS] Momotaro Railway: 20th Anniversary (Hudson) - 63.797 / 63.797 (18/12/08)
04 . [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 44.000 / 44.000 (26/11/09)

I'll start the Media Create thread tomorrow and not donny, so don't get surprised.

onken said:
Interesting. Wii had a few releases and maybe some early impact from NSMB, pushing hardware up. PS3 had exactly zip and still got a boost. Holiday ramp-up started already?

in the same week of 2008 :

Wii 42k - PS3 35k (WE 2009 bump)

Wii sales increased from last week by 13k cause (finally) some games were released, even if we can hardly say Taiko 2 and Joysound DX are a hit as their prequels were...

PS3 sales increased from last week by 10k without any significant release...

onken

schuelma said:
First off, where did I say hardware sales were in line with 2008?

Second, my point was that I think there was evidence that the "holiday spike" (as pathetic as it was last year for PS3) started around this time. Yes, sales went from 34K to 30K the week after WE. This year the sales went down from about 49K to 38K. It held better last year which tells me sales had started to go up at that time. Also the bump from last year for WE was bigger this year which again tells me sales had started to go up.

I don't know why you are trying to argue with me, to be honest. I'm saying that sales went up this week because of the holiday sales season starting. You agree. I don't get it.

Because anybody not familiar with last year's releases would (understandably) assume that WE came out early November last year as well, so when you say "sales in 2008 didn't drop for the rest of the year after WE" without mentioning the release date, it makes 2008 sales appear a lot better than they actually were.

Oxx

Chris1964 said:
Layton remains very strong despite Level 5 efforts to prevent that. More than doubled its first day sales. I still believe 1 million isn't out of the question. The movie and the 100 hour bonus RPG should help it.

What have they done?

Minsc

Gold Member
duckroll said:
I think PS3 hitting 100k or more with FFXIII is a very real possibility. The question is, how much more.

Is Sony doing a FFXIII hardware bundle for the game's launch?

If not, it's like throwing money away imo. Practically every FFXIII branded PS3 is a guaranteed sale.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Oxx said:
What have they done?
Everything they can to slow down the sales.

4th Layton in 3 years.
2 low price games aka Layton this year (Paul Sloan & Des MacHale's Mysterious Story 1-2).
4 super low price games aka Layton this year (Professor Tago's Mind Exercises Vol. 1-4).

The puzzle genre is been milked more than ever.

Busaiku

Flute of Malevolent Destiny seems to have similar legs to The Last Time Travel.
I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see how it holds up.

Given the movie though, and a slightly earlier holiday entry, I think it could track higher.
I don't think it'll do a million now, given the debut, but I think doing similar numbers to The Curious Village is more likely.

onken

Minsc said:
Is Sony doing a FFXIII hardware bundle for the game's launch?

If not, it's like throwing money away imo. Practically every FFXIII branded PS3 is a guaranteed sale.

Yep some white and pink 2-tone thing, looks pretty good I guess. Not sure on the numbers though, probably ludicrously low.

Minsc

Gold Member
7Th said:
Yes, they're not that stupid. :lol

Now I remember, I had asked in the past about if there was ever a white PS3, and the FFXIII PS3 was the answer. Thanks for the reminder!

Sounds like they might have produced closer to 20,000 than 200,000 of them. The more the better, oh well.

schuelma

onken said:
Because anybody not familiar with last year's releases would (understandably) assume that WE came out early November last year as well, so when you say "sales in 2008 didn't drop for the rest of the year after WE" without mentioning the release date, it makes 2008 sales appear a lot better than they actually were.

You caught me. I was deliberately trying to deceive random message board posters about WE's 2008 release date.

I thought saying " Last year PS3 did 35K because of WE" , given the context of the discussion, made it relatively clear I was talking about last years numbers at this time.

But I apologize most profusely for any confusion and negative implications towards the PS3 I might have made.

100k seems to be the bare minimum for PS3 with the FFXIII launch. I'm more thinking along the line of 300k. Yes, I'm pulling that out of my ass.

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:
Wii sales increased from last week by 13k cause (finally) some games were released, even if we can hardly say Taiko 2 and Joysound DX are a hit as their prequels were...

I really doubt the Wii got a 13K jump because of titles that sold a combined 34K or so on release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Souldriver said:
100k seems to be the bare minimum for PS3 with the FFXIII launch. I'm more thinking along the line of 300k. Yes, I'm pulling that out of my ass.

For reference, FFX did not give the PS2 anything near 300k sales. ;)

onken

Souldriver said:

You don't say.

7Th said:
Yes, they're not that stupid. :lol
Eh, I wonder about that.

They have the bundle yes, but they have skipped making permanent 250GB PS3 SKUs. And actually before that they could have done White and Silver 120GB SKUs.

A limited edition bundle that will probably be a one-time-only deal and most likely already snatched by preorders while still a being low amount overall isn't quite the most brilliant approach to exploit your biggest game since launch and probably your biggest game ever on the system.

Quick note: can't finish predictions results since we still lack higurashi but it won't matter, Chris1964 wins again.

Taurus

Vilix said:
My gut's telling me that FFXIII has the same anticipation behind it that FFVII had with the PS2. If that is indeed the case then I'm thinking 300K+ for the first week, and between 250K to 300K for the rest of the year. Or, every PS3 made is a PS3 sold.

Then again, my gut's telling me to eat something. That could have something to do with it. :(
Interesting.

duckroll said:
At the current rate, it will take another 6 months for them to even sell out the initial 150k shipment. :lol

It certainly doesn't help when popular games such as Winning Eleven and KH don't see PSN releases any time soon.

John Harker said:
Um, uh, so... has Crystal Bearers found an audience yet?

If by "audience" you mean "bomba bin" and by "found" you mean "started overflowing" then, yes, I think it has.

Shame, as it looks like a quirky, odd little experiment - ah, well, I'll get a chance to sample it when it hits the UK next Feb.

Stumpokapow said:

FFX is the best comparison we have but I think its still somwhat flawed due to it releasing during the summer season. We're looking at a compounded bump from FFXIII and holiday season....and no I don't think PS3 will do 300k in one week.

test_account

XP-39C²
cw_sasuke said:
Guitar Hero effect.
Do you mean that Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 will contunie to sell for many weeks or that many people have gotten a bit tired of the serie (how many Taiko games excist by the way, does anyone know?)? I am under the impression that Guitar Hero 5 hasnt sold as well as the previous Guitar Hero games at least.

This quote is taken from the previous Media Create thread by the way. I am sorry for the very late reply here! :\ I remembered that i forgot to ask this question in the previous Media Create thread, so i just posted the quote in this Media Create thread instead of bumping the old one :)

duckroll

Gamecocks625 said:
It certainly doesn't help when popular games such as Winning Eleven and KH don't see PSN releases any time soon.

Also, we shall see today if Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus shows up on PSN at all. :lol

Cosmonaut X said:
If by "audience" you mean "bomba bin" and by "found" you mean "started overflowing" then, yes, I think it has.
:lol Wow

That FFVII thing is a bold statement. I think people were super hyped for VII because VI was so fantastic and VII was the first with all the super production values (for its time). I'm not in Japan so maybe the public there really is that hyped for XIII but it's so hard to believe any game can match VII's pre-release hype.

expy

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
Personally I'm thinking the PS3 will sell 125k that week.

Anything more than that just seems unrealistic.
Depends, how many Lightning PS3s there are, because most likely they're sold out. I'm sure they made more than 125K of them.

jcm

Has there been any word on the number of Lightning PS3s? Is anyone exporting them to the US? Playasia just has them for preorder.

Well, past year PS3 sold 40k units, in the same week, without price drop and with the lone launch of Gundam Musou 2. So probably it will be much more than 100k.

duckroll

expy said:
Depends, how many Lightning PS3s there are, because most likely they're sold out. I'm sure they made more than 125K of them.

Well, they made 77,777 Crisis Core PSP-2000s. Maybe they'll ship 130k FFXIII PS3 Slims. That's the upper limit of what they'll make imo. Anything more and you risk making the product lose the perception of being limited, and that ruins the collection value of it.

markatisu

test_account said:
Do you mean that Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 will contunie to sell for many weeks or that many people have gotten a bit tired of the serie (how many Taiko games excist by the way, does anyone know?)? I am under the impression that Guitar Hero 5 hasnt sold as well as the previous Guitar Hero games at least.

This quote is taken from the previous Media Create thread by the way. I am sorry for the very late reply here! :\ I remembered that i forgot to ask this question in the previous Media Create thread, so i just posted the quote in this Media Create thread instead of bumping the old one :)

Could be tiring, but I think the article mentioned earlier today is a better indicator

3: Taiko Drum Master Wii 2
There's still the chance for a comeback during the holiday sales rush, but the game is in a state where some shops are trying to get rid of it even at a loss. The big problem is apparently the space required for storing the game.

That is GH and RB biggest problems in the US for retailers (genre fatigue is the consumers problem), they are absolutely flooded with plastic instruments that are highly priced and do not move as often.

expy said:

125k is a lot for any sort of limited edition bundle. Typically they produce anywhere from 25k-75k worth of bundles, and I somehow doubt this is any exception. Anyone have bundle numbers from any previous games?

duckroll

Stopsign said:
125k is a lot for any sort of limited edition bundle. Typically they produce anywhere from 25k-75k worth of bundles, and I somehow doubt this is any exception. Anyone have bundle numbers from any previous games?

Crisis Core had 77,777 limited edition systems with serial numbers. Dissidia had a general non-specified limited release similar to the upcoming FFXIII one. It is almost impossible to tell how many bundles there were, because the PSP went from selling 50-70k weekly in the month of November, to a spike of over 140k for 3 weeks running at Dissidia's release, before dropping back to 40-60k weekly figures in January.

EXGN

Stumpokapow said:

I'm not saying it will do 300K, but FFX was also released in the middle of the summer, where FFXIII will be released just a week or so prior to the biggest Japanese holiday(s). Considering the demo pushed 70,000 PS3s by itself, I really wouldn't be surprised to see that double easily.

gerg

EXGN said:
I'm not saying it will do 300K, but FFX was also released in the middle of the summer, where FFXIII will be released just a week or so prior to the biggest Japanese holiday(s). Considering the demo pushed 70,000 PS3s by itself, I really wouldn't be surprised to see that double easily.

Again, the people who will buy the PS3 over Christmas and those who will buy the PS3 for Final Fantasy are not distinct and separate groups.

If we combine the 70K PS3 sold with the demo, the 150K PS2 sold with FFX, and the 150K PS3 sold after the price drop, maybe we pass 300K. :)

duckroll

I would say 150-170k is a realistic goal for the PS3 on the week FFXIII is released. 200k is possible but highly improbable. Beyond 250k is in the realm of dreams and miracles. 300k would require Kaz Hirai standing in Akiba with a convoy of mobile warehouses, handing out free PS3s to every passerby.

In fact, I think it is less interesting what the PS3 does in the week of FFXIII alone, but how long it maintains a high number in the weeks that follow. If it can do 1-2 more weeks above 100k, that could be really good for the system.

Top Bottom