• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 9-15, 2009

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
iidesuyo said:
In my opinion it would have been very clever if Nintendo had a DS successor ready this christmas.

- the DS market is obviously saturated, DSi didn't do shit

What do you mean?

fam

It's pretty clear the DSi kept 2009 sales on track with 2008.

fam

I'd bet dollars to donuts in an alternate reality where DSi was not launched, DSL's 2009 would be sharply off 2008.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
SecretBonusPoint said:
Just as I gear up to get a Wii at the end of this year, looks like a mass exodus of developers is going to occur with japanese devs just giving up on the Wii completely :lol Nintendo has really failed with the Wii in Japan and Iwata's assurances they'll do better next year just seem too little too late.

I cannot see DQX coming to Wii now at all. It might be a forever portable franchise now.

Wait, are you saying this because of Crystal Bearers bombing or something else? What you say might actually be true given what little has been announced for the Wii in 2010..but what data are you using right now?

I would suggest to everyone getting ready to dance on Nintendo's grave to at least wait until December before doing so.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
iidesuyo said:
In my opinion it would have been very clever if Nintendo had a DS successor ready this christmas.

- it would have given them a nice jumpstart toward PSP2
- 5 year circle is enough for a handheld, GBA and GBC had far less than 4 years

But they are probably trying to suck the last bit of blood out of it.
It's been said already, but every point in this post is wrong.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Wait, are you saying this because of Crystal Bearers bombing or something else? What you say might actually be true given what little has been announced for the Wii in 2010..but what data are you using right now?

I would suggest to everyone getting ready to dance on Nintendo's grave to at least wait until December before doing so.

Japanese third parties didn't start developing games massively for Wii when the console was outselling the competition in Japan. Why do you think they are going to start now?
I don't understand why do you say "wait until december". Third parties aren't waiting to see if NSMB, Tales of Graces and Sengoku Musou sell millions. And even if they were waiting for that, games need at least a year and half to be made.

If there were big third party games in the making for Wii and releasing in the first half of 2010, I think we already should know about them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I were Nintendo I would let everyone know about every game coming in 2010. Only knowing DQX will be released eventually is not enough. This is why it looks like simply those games aren't being made for the Wii right now.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Japanese third parties didn't start developing games massively for Wii when the console was outselling the competition in Japan. Why do you think they are going to start now?
I don't understand why do you say "wait until december". Third parties aren't waiting to see if NSMB, Tales of Graces and Sengoku Musou sell millions. And even if they were waiting for that, games need at least a year and half to be made.

If there were big third party games in the making for Wii and releasing in the first half of 2010, I think we already should know about them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I were Nintendo I would let everyone know about every game coming in 2010. Only knowing DQX will be released eventually it's not enough. This is why it looks like simply those games aren't being made for the Wii right now.

I don't think they are going to start massively developing Wii games. As you said, if it didn't happen when the Wii was outselling everything, it won't happen now.

The question in 2010 is whether development has indeed fallen off a cliff or there will start to be announcements soon. You'll recall I said much the same about PS3 after February 2009. As in before, I'm guessing its somewhere in between- I find it hard to believe that 3rd party development is going to cease completely, so I do expect a few mid tier announcements for the Spring period, but on the other hand I doubt there will be any huge games in mid 2010 as you said. It makes perfect sense to me and you to announce every single 2010 Wii game right now, but as we've seen Nintendo rarely works that way.

Re: December, I was speaking to his general point which seemed to be another variation on Nintendo is doomed, etc.

Lastly, I think the best case scenario going forward is that those few franchises that have come to the platform remain there, and that's where I think the sales of Tales of Graces. SW3. and RE: DS will be important.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
donny2112 said:
Media Create Nov 9-15

01./00. J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 6: Pride of J (SEGA) - 85,000 /

:D

wooha , thought this will do nothing :O , nice way to end the year for SEGA.

Sale ages guys , please can I have numbers for top 10 ( or all ) SEGA games in 2009 ?

iidesuyo

ksamedi said:
Uuh, DS games still have a big presence in the top 50. The DS just recently had a 4 million + seller and an upcoming 2 million + seller. Loads of games are being prepared for next year including a Miyamoto game. What the hell are you talking about?

The PS1 had Dragon Quest VII and FFIX after the PS2 was released, so that doesn't mean much. It's not that a system dies from one day to another.

And I'm not saying that Nintendo should abandon the DS. They didn't do that with the GBA either after the DS was released.

Parl

iidesuyo said:

- it would have given them a nice jumpstart toward PSP2
- 5 year circle is enough for a handheld, GBA and GBC had far less than 4 years

But they are probably trying to suck the last bit of blood out of it.
The DS is on its way to selling more this year than any other system has ever sold in year, ever. There's a lot more blood left to suck yet.

V_Arnold

Might be a stupid question per se, but I will have to ask it anyway:

Do you think that Dragon Quest X will NOT come to Wii, even if it was announced for it?

I am sure we would all know the reasons behind this decision, if it is ever made.

Parl

Stumpokapow said:
Not quite.

fam
I'm talking worldwide, as when thinking about launching a new console, it'd be silly to ignore NA and Europe, both far bigger than Japan in market size.

schuelma

V_Arnold said:
Might be a stupid question per se, but I will have to ask it anyway:

Do you think that Dragon Quest X will NOT come to Wii, even if it was announced for it?

I am sure we would all know the reasons behind this decision, if it is ever made.

Its not a stupid question- its been asked and speculated about many times.

I think its possible SE will/has shifted it back to the DS, which is the only possibility. I still think the odds are that it stays on the Wii (afterall, SE kept FF13 on PS3), but if we go into Spring next year and SE is announcing more DQ on DS and nothing on Wii I think we might have a hint.

schuelma

DangerousDave said:
So, the PS3 didn't fall below 30k since the Slim launch? If that is the new PS3 ground, is a real success.

If its doing 30K in mid-January, then that would be a huge huge success for Sony.

Its going to be doing more than that due to FF13. You always seem to forget about that schuelma, which is why your worries about the PS3 early this year didn't hold weight the same as the current Wii concerns. PS3 still had assured FF13 and Versus still to come, both promising big sales and boosts, whereas the Wii doesn't have such big things on its horizon. Maybe/hopefully NSMBWii will do gangbusters and spur console sales, but that won't point towards a bright future for third party support either.

schuelma

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its going to be doing more than that due to FF13. You always seem to forget about that schuelma, which is why your worries about the PS3 early this year didn't hold weight the same as the Wii concerns. PS3 still had assured FF13

The FF series is insanely front loaded. Any impact it has on hardware sales will be gone by mid-January IMO.

onken

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its going to be doing more than that due to FF13. You always seem to forget about that schuelma, which is why your worries about the PS3 early this year didn't hold weight the same as the current Wii concerns. PS3 still had assured FF13 and Versus still to come, both promising big sales and boosts, whereas the Wii doesn't have such big things on its horizon. Maybe/hopefully NSMBWii will do gangbusters and spur console sales, but that won't point towards a bright future for third party support either.

You do know that FF is the definition of a front-loaded franchise, right? Though I do agree that the game will have prolonged sales impact, mostly due to the PS3 in general being a lot more in the lime-light, more word-of-mouth and so on.

Yes I'm not expecting some insane numbers kept up, but I think its very foolish to think that post-FF13 and just before GT5 the PS3's current steady 30k will go away, i'd say its in the bag if not an even elevated number of constant 35-40k.

schuelma

SecretBonusPoint said:
Yes I'm not expecting some insane numbers kept up, but I think its very foolish to think that post-FF13 and just before GT5 the PS3's current steady 30k will go away, i'd say its in the bag.

You could be right..but in the bag? You don't think you are being a bit presumptuous?

madara

Japan whats happened to you? Is there a point in releasing consoles there next gen? Maybe best to have a handheld merge into a console option.

farnham

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
well as you pointed out nsmbwii will probably outsell ff13 if not ff13 and versus combined

ofcourse i agree with you that this wont guarantee any third party support..

but then again it was always nintendo against the world and it wont be different this gen... only that this time nintendo won and that this wont change even with final fantasy on sony consoles

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I think the main difference between the Go and past failed 'spin-off' systems is that the Go has a lot of space for price drops (and, judging by the universal hype followed by universal 'nice try sony' on gaf after the announcement, high price is PSP Go's biggest problem). I'm sure some time in the future we'll arrive at the point where PSP Go is cheaper than, say, PSP-5000 as flash memory price drops. Then it'll be interesting to see how sales compare.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sage00 said:
I think the main difference between the Go and past failed 'spin-off' systems is that the Go has a lot of space for price drops (and, judging by the universal hype followed by universal 'nice try sony' on gaf after the announcement, high price is PSP Go's biggest problem). I'm sure some time in the future we'll arrive at the point where PSP Go is cheaper than, say, PSP-5000 as flash memory price drops. Then it'll be interesting to see how sales compare.
High price is a big problem, but not the biggest. Too bad PSP Go won't last long so that we see how it will perform after drastic price drops. Japanese retailers already lowered the price but I don't see any difference.

schuelma

farnham said:
Taiko Wii did 500k... but in this situation id be surprised if taiko 2 will do anything over 200k

Yeah..doesn't seem like a ton of initial interest at least if you go by the usual online sources. I think it will do 200K easily over the holiday's but probably won't reach the first ones number.

schuelma

onken said:
Looks like a lot of copies, what were the lines like?

I really doubt Taiko is a franchise people would line up for.

schuelma said:
If its doing 30K in mid-January, then that would be a huge huge success for Sony.

I think we're going to see huge HW sales for PS3 in December, but yeah by mid Jan I would expect it to drop to sub 30k. Given the reported pre-orders for FFXIII, it has me wondering if consumers are planning to pickup their PS3 when the game comes out, or if the sales we are seeing now represent consumers buying in preperation for FFXIII. Its some combination of both I'm sure but I'm curious to see how things go for the rest of the year.

schuelma

TheRagnCajun said:
I think we're going to see huge HW sales for PS3 in December, but yeah by mid Jan I would expect it to drop to sub 30k. Given the reported pre-orders for FFXIII, it has me wondering if consumers are planning to pickup their PS3 when the game comes out, or if the sales we are seeing now represent consumers buying in preperation for FFXIII. Its some combination of both I'm sure but I'm curious to see how things go for the rest of the year.

Yeah it will be interesting. Same thing with the Wii. I fully expect a huge December, but if it follows the same trajectory as January 2009 its in big big trouble.

Malio

Dragona Akehi said:
I'd almost feel bad for the Go, except for the fact it's the biggest piece of anti-consumer crap to come our way since SecureROM or those Sony Rootkits on music CDs.

Exactly.

onken

Cedille said:
Atlus reveals P3P has digitally sold 10k so far, and perhaps Media Create data doesn't include it.

Wow so 160k at retail and 10k online... I knew the online share would be piss-poor but damn.

shinshero

farnham said:
well as you pointed out nsmbwii will probably outsell ff13 if not ff13 and versus combined

ofcourse i agree with you that this wont guarantee any third party support..

but then again it was always nintendo against the world and it wont be different this gen... only that this time nintendo won and that this wont change even with final fantasy on sony consoles

You sound so sure. :p

schuelma

shinshero said:
You sound so sure. :p

I feel pretty safe in saying it will outsell FF13. But combined..I don't know about that.

Road

Cedille said:
Atlus reveals P3P has digitally sold 10k so far, and perhaps Media Create data doesn't include it.
Nice. Now we can always estimate PSP DD as around 6% of physical copies.

=D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (19/11/09)

xx . [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
xx . [NDS] Doraemon Baseball 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai)
xx . [NDS] Akogare Girls Collection: Lovely Youchien (Creative Core)
xx . [NDS] Moomon Tani no Okurimono (Sonic Powered)
xx . [NDS] Center Shiken: Eigo Listening Sokushuu DS (Educational Network)
xx . [NDS] Wizardry: Wedge of Life (Genterprise)
xx . [NDS] Monster Finder (Alpha Unit) - first DSi only title

xx . [PSP] Armored Core: Silent Line Portable (From Software)
xx . [PSP] Jak and Daxter: The Last Frontier (SCE)

xx . [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Dodon to 2 Yome! (Namco Bandai)
xx . [WII] Family Challenge Wii (Konami)
xx . [WII] Metal Fight Beyblade: Gachinko Stadium (Hudson)
xx . [WII] Calling (Hudson)
xx . [WII] Lost in Blue Wii (Konami the Best) (Konami)

xx . [PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (SCE)

xx . [360] Left 4 Dead 2 (Electronic Arts Victor)

xx . [PS2] Sekai Saikyou Ginsei Igo Kouza (SilverStar)

DSi LL launches on Saturday 21/11/09 with an estimated 150K first shipment (not that this means much, this was also the first shipment of PSP Go)

duckroll

NSMB should outsell FFXIII. If it doesn't, then that will say more about NSMB's failure, rather than any huge success on FFXIII's part. :p

schuelma

duckroll said:
NSMB should outsell FFXIII. If it doesn't, then that will say more about NSMB's failure, rather than any huge success on FFXIII's part. :p

Right. If NSMB Wii does that poorly Iwata is gonna be making a ton more apologies to his investors next quarter.

Top Bottom