• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 9-15, 2009

Road

duckroll said:
Where did they say that? I think I missed it...
I found it. It's here: http://www.famitsu.com/blog/p3p/1229728_2045.html

"同時発売の、PSP goをはじめとする、DL版の状況ですが、2週間で1万ダウンロードを突破したとのこと。"

Spiegel

So Persona 3 Portable (third release of the same game, 6279Y) is outselling Final Fantasy Gaiden (new game, 5980Y).

Crazy.

Vinci

Danish
Spiegel said:
So Persona 3 Portable (third release of the same game, 6279Y) is outselling Final Fantasy Gaiden (new game, 5980Y).

Crazy.

Casual gamers don't like spin-offs for the most part, it seems.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:

Crazy.

DS userbase hates Final Fantasy CONFIRMED.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Spiegel said:

Crazy.
If Birth by Sleep sells similarly to 358/2 days I really wanna see your reaction.

Rolf NB

I swear, debating whether or not something is a spin-off must be the second-lowest form of human communication, just between armpit farts and burps.

Spiegel

Jesus, defensive much?

Who was expecting that?

Chris1964 said:
If Birth by Sleep sells similarly to 358/2 days I really wanna see your reaction.

My reaction?

BBS selling significantly less of what Crisis Core or Dissidia did, would be considered a megabomba for me

DR2K said:
Poor Go, you deserve so much better.

No, it actually deserves worse.

timetokill said:
Sony has a continual problem with being unable to define who their market is, leading to confused or apathetic consumers. Who is the PSP Go even for?

The PSP Go is for people who care more about the fact that they're downloading games wirelessly from the Internet than about what games they are or what system they're downloading them onto.

Jinfash said:
Oh man, Crystal Bearers why? Not even SE's products tagged with "Final Fantasy" are safe anymore. Someone remind me of the most recent SE sale hit that wasn't a mainline FF or DQ.

Pretty much everything with "Kingdom Hearts" in the name still shits gold.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Just as I gear up to get a Wii at the end of this year, looks like a mass exodus of developers is going to occur with japanese devs just giving up on the Wii completely :lol

You can't exodus from a place you never were.

onipex said:
Which really mean consumers be damned.

Not really. I'm pretty quick to jump on anti-consumer action by gaming companies but platform selection really just doesn't qualify. The overall drubbing that third-parties have taken this generation is its own "reward" for their broad failure to develop a reasonable platform strategy.

iidesuyo said:
- the DS market is obviously saturated, DSi didn't do shit

elaborate-chart-explaining-what-saturated-means-and-how-a-market-where-a-system-still-sells-thirty-five-thousand-units-a-week-cant-be-saturated.jpg

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its going to be doing more than that due to FF13.

You are seeing the PS3 do "more than that due to FF13" right now. The number of people who buy a PS3 for FF13 will become completely insignificant about three weeks after the game's release because 95% of the game's lifetime sales will be in those same three weeks.

There are certainly other things that can keep PS3 elevated next year, but FF13 is unambiguously not one of them. Calling it "in the bag" is precisely as presumptuous as suggestions the PS3 would inevitably return to 10k weeks after the Slim bump were.

iidesuyo

Btw, does anyone know who this guy is?

imagemagic.php

onken

Yes it's my view NSMB Wii will trend closer to SMG than NSMB DS, though it could absolutely turn out to be a legaton I'm not ruling that out at all.

schuelma

onken said:
Yes it's my view NSMB Wii will trend closer to SMG than NSMB DS, though it could absolutely turn out to be a legaton I'm not ruling that out at all.

I think you already answered this, but can you remind me what your predictions are?

onken

schuelma said:
I think you already answered this, but can you remind me what your predictions are?

I can't be bothered to trail through the old threads, so I'll make a fresh one of 400k/1.5m

10k DL for P3P is really decent. Decent enough to annoy me that those sales are going to be under the radar. With the Go failure, the extremely limited catalog online and the outrageous pricing I thought right now we wouldn't be missing more than 3 digits numbers for titles like Persona.

Durante

Well, regardless of the fate of the Go, every single PSP can potentially be used to buy DD games. So, for franchises targeted at an at least partly tech-aware audience like Persona I'm not that surprised to see ~6% DD sales.

Jinfash said:
Oh man, Crystal Bearers why? Not even SE's products tagged with "Final Fantasy" are safe anymore. Someone remind me of the most recent SE sale hit that wasn't a mainline FF or DQ.
Kingdom Hearts, silly.
Talwind said:
How did Crystal Bearers do against the rest of the CC series?
This view doesn't include the game names, but you get the idea. Note Crystal Bearers isn't yet included.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I just realized I posted this week's releases as the the next week's. These are next week releases (26/11/06). Holiday season begins. PS2 and PS3 have some amazing titles.

xx . [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5)
xx . [NDS] Cooking Mama 3 (Taito Corporation)
xx . [NDS] Tea Dog's Room DS 4: Ochaken Land de Hotto Shiyo? (MTO)
xx . [NDS] Gakken Eigo Sanmai DS (Gakken)
xx . [NDS] Roller Angels: Pasha to Daisakusen (Starfish)
xx . [NDS] Strike Witches: Aoi no Dengekisen - Shin Taichou Funtousuru! (Russel)
xx . [NDS] 1500 DS Spirits: Mahjong V (Tasuke)
xx . [NDS] 1500 DS Spirits: Shogi V (Tasuke)
xx . [NDS] SimAnimals Africa (Electronic Arts Victor)
xx . [NDS] Monster Racers (Koei the Best) (Koei)

xx . [PSP] Higurashi Daybreak Portable: Mega Edition (Alchemist)
xx . [PSP] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega)
xx . [PSP] La Pucelle: Ragnarok (Nippon Ichi Software)
xx . [PSP] L no Kisetsu: Double Pocket (5pb.)
xx . [PSP] Itsuka Kono Te ga Kegareru Toki ni: Spectral Force Legacy (Idea Factory)
xx . [PSP] Yamada Yuusuke World Puzzle: Bokura no 48 Jikan Sensou (Kadokawa Shoten)
xx . [PSP] Gakuen Heaven: Boy's Love Scramble! (NEC Interchannel)
xx . [PSP] Wild Arms: Crossfire (PSP the Best) (SCE)
xx . [PSP] Kenka Bancho 3: Conquer the Entire Nation (PSP the Best) (Spike)
xx . [PSP] Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? (Best Price!) (Nippon Ichi Software)

xx . [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson)
xx . [WII] Monotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson)
xx . [WII] Naruto: Shippuden Ryujinki (Takara Tomy)
xx . [WII] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega)
xx . [WII] Rabbids Go Home (Ubisoft)
xx . [WII] SimAnimals Africa (Electronic Arts Victor)

xx . [PS3] Fallout 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bethesda Softworks)
xx . [PS3] Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts Victor)
xx . [PS3] Mirror's Edge (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts Victor)

xx . [360] Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (Cave)

xx . [PS2] Dynasty Warriors 5 (Koei Teiban Series) (Koei)
xx . [PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenka Sousei with Power-Up Kit (Koei Teiban Series) (Koei)
xx . [PS2] Zill O'll Infinite (Koei Teiban Series) (Koei)
xx . [PS2] Kiniro no Corda: La Corda d'Oro (Koei Teiban Series) (Koei)
xx . [PS2] .hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Namco Bandai)
xx . [PS2] .hack//G.U. Vol. 2//Reminisce (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Namco Bandai)
xx . [PS2] .hack//G.U. Vol. 3//Redemption (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Namco Bandai)
xx . [PS2] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Forbidden Black Delta (Best Collection) (Marvelous Entertainment)
xx . [PS2] Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (EA:SY! 1980) (Electronic Arts Victor)
xx . [PS2] Daisenryaku VII Exceed (System Soft Selection) (System Soft Alpha)

TunaLover

schuelma said:
Its not a stupid question- its been asked and speculated about many times.

I think its possible SE will/has shifted it back to the DS, which is the only possibility. I still think the odds are that it stays on the Wii (afterall, SE kept FF13 on PS3), but if we go into Spring next year and SE is announcing more DQ on DS and nothing on Wii I think we might have a hint.
I don't think that DQ is a platform depedant franchise, Wii has a big userbase in Japan what's really matter, people will buy the game regardless. It's kinda hard to see Iwata backpedaling on this monstruos announcement, with pictures, confrence and all jazz :lol

farnham

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Might be a stupid question per se, but I will have to ask it anyway:

Do you think that Dragon Quest X will NOT come to Wii, even if it was announced for it?

I am sure we would all know the reasons behind this decision, if it is ever made.
well ff7 and dq 7 were announced for N64 at first as well... wouldnt be the first time Square Enix pulled support... but then again nintendo forbid them (Squaresoft that is.. Enix somehow was allowed to develop games on Nintendo Platforms) to release a game again until the GBA...

Durante said:
Well, regardless of the fate of the Go, every single PSP can potentially be used to buy DD games. So, for franchises targeted at an at least partly tech-aware audience like Persona I'm not that surprised to see ~6% DD sales.

Given both Japan's specific bent away from downloadable stuff or Internet use anywhere but on a phone and the lack of any actual compelling reason for anyone to buy PSP games via DD specifically besides "wow, I'm buying in my underwear!!!", this number doesn't surprise me at all.

Vinci

Danish
TunaLover said:
I don't think that DQ is a platform depedant franchise, Wii has a big userbase in Japan what's really matter, people will buy the game regardless. It's kinda hard to see Iwata backpedaling on this monstruos announcement, with pictures, confrence and all jazz :lol

A mainline DQ isn't just another game. It's a damn national event. So yeah, I agree that it doesn't matter where it's released - its core fanbase will always buy it. The DS version might have hit some people who aren't quite so diehard, but all in all... it'll do very well.

Effect

Cosmonaut X said:
For there to be a mass exodus, there would have to have been a mass influx...

So very true. Developers still ignored the Wii even after it continued to sell out month after month and it was clear it was taking and had taken the lead as most units sold. There was never an actual change of direction when it came to developers and there most likely will never be. Not in this generation or the next generation. Developers have this thing against Nintendo itself no matter what they do system wise it seems.

schuelma

So the usually semi reliable MC leak is out..PS3 only down to about 40K and Wii down to 27K. Its usually pretty close.

donny2112

schuelma said:

Basically, Worst.Legs.Ever. (for a Mario game)

Edit:
I think it was something like 300-500K FW with 800K-1m LTD.

duckroll

farnham said:
well ff7 and dq 7 were announced for N64 at first as well... wouldnt be the first time Square Enix pulled support... but then again nintendo forbid them (Squaresoft that is.. Enix somehow was allowed to develop games on Nintendo Platforms) to release a game again until the GBA...

Can you stop making up nonsense? If you continue making up nonsense, I will have to ban you.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
-WindYoshi- said:
It's a tragedy but i'm thankful the game was even made in the first place. This is a game that i'm devoted to buying day one even if I don't have a PS3 yet when it launches in NA.
I am with you. I plan to buy it for my friend's PS3. She loves Zelda type games, and this is a an award for her for buying the PS3 over the Wii.

kinggroin

Banned
My god @ wii sales.

Who said the PS3 would eventually fall BELOW that console again? Great to see it and it's little brother sell software well in this region. Was beginning to think Japan had completely and utterly given up on consoles.

schuelma

donny2112 said:
Basically, Worst.Legs.Ever. (for a Mario game)

Edit:
I think it was something like 300-500K FW with 800K-1m LTD.

"4-500k fw, 1-1.2m lt."

His initial guess

schuelma

kinggroin said:
Who said the PS3 would eventually fall BELOW that console again? .

Do you think its never going to fall behind the Wii from now on? It's certainly possible that the PS3 maintains a higher baseline early next year..something I frankly didn't think was possible even after the Slim was announced. But I'm pretty sure its not going to completely dominate the Wii going forward.

schuelma said:
Do you think its never going to fall behind the Wii from now on? It's certainly possible that the PS3 maintains a higher baseline early next year..something I frankly didn't think was possible even after the Slim was announced. But I'm pretty sure its not going to completely dominate the Wii going forward.
It's impossible to dominate something when it's still trying to catch up. And selling 10,000 units over it weekly isn't going to place it into a position of dominance for a loooong time.

The more likely end, is the Japanese home console market just being significantly smaller then it was last gen.

schuelma

PSP 38,770
PS3 38,498
DSi 33,749
Wii 26,764
PSP go 6,427
DS Lite 5,036
Xbox 360 4,124
PS2 2,031

System | This Week | Last Week | YTD
-------------------------------------------------
| PS3 | 38,498 | 48,925 | 1,202,749
| WII | 26,764 | 31,810 | 1,233,353

Different this week: 11,734 (PS3)
Difference in YTD: 30,604 (Wii)

kswiston

vicissitudes said:
System | This Week | Last Week | YTD
-------------------------------------------------
| PS3 | 38,498 | 48,925 | 1,202,749
| WII | 26,764 | 31,810 | 1,233,353

Different this week: 11,734 (PS3)
Difference in YTD: 30,604 (Wii)

At this rate, PS3 and Wii YTD sales will basically be equal by the end of November. It really will come down to December sales. If PS3 sales are stronger than expected in December, and Wii sales are weaker than expected, PS3 could conceivably pull ahead for the year. right now, I am going to say that the odds of that happening are 3:1 in favour of the Wii winning the year. We will know for sure after NSMB Wii launches.

Updated from data Chris1964 posted last week said:
Wii performance after price cut

Code:
week	 2007	  2008	  2009
 40	 20.704	 25.330	 35.392
 41	 20.575	 22.877	 30.741
 42	 24.932	 26.024	 29.965
 43	 27.502	 24.292	 25.917
 44	 37.617	 23.123	 28.888
 45	 34.546	 24.726	 31.810
 46	 36.230	 26.787	 26.764 (new)
 47	 54.362	 35.298	
 48	 74.764	 49.848	
 49	115.057	 56.702	
 50	170.558	 91.641	
 51	232.907	131.054	
 52	152.209	134.958

So far it's outperforming both 2007 and 2008.

This is why I said last week that it was too early to predict Wii's 2009 holiday performance from the post-2009 price drop data. 2007 has pulled ahead of 2009 again, and week 46 this year is no better than week 46 last year.

Top Bottom