• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales, PS3 special!

----

Banned
I think the less than 1:1 tie ratio is probably a combination of scalpers and people buying PS2 software instead of PS3 software. There is no hard fast rule that you have to buy a next-gen game at launch if the system is fully backwards compatible. The slight drawback to PS2 having such a long shelf life is that PS3 software is still competing with PS2 software for peoples money. However I think that PS3 owners will very quickly transition to PS3 software when the quality of the library improves so this is not something to worry about for the longterm.

Rock_Man

PS3 launch week: 81,639
DSL launch week: 68,438
;)

By the way, DS will have ten games in the top ten this week (11/6-11/12).

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Heads up for next week. Jamira is reporting that only 30,000 PS3s will be shipped to retailers this Saturday, instead of the previously expected 100,000.

What with the US launch getting cut and all, this isn't surprising. :/

mj1108

Rock_Man said:
;)

If true, the MC thread will be classic and Monorojo should then be unbanned for entertainment purposes only.

IceIpor

Rock_Man said:
;)

For that to be possible, there needs to be at least 10 games which have sold over Ridge Racer 7's 22k-ish.

Raw64life said:
Media Create Sales: 10/30-11/5
1. (DS, Nintendo) Hoshi no Kirby DS - 166,131 / NEW
2. (DS, Nintendo) General Knowledge Training - 159,166 / 348,866
3. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Diamond - 105,943 / 1,604,152
4. (DS, Konami) Wining Eleven DS - 89,275 / NEW
5. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Pearl - 81,604 / 1,358,416
6. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 31,307 / 3,366,560
7. (DS, Nintendo) Brain Age 2 - 27,448 / 3,387,842
8. (DS, Rocket Company) JLAA Official Kanji Kentei DS - 22,824 / 210,556
9. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 20,691 / 3,389,974
10. (PSP, Bandai-Namco) Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - 17,961 / 78,545

Judging from last week's top ten, did all 9 DS games maintain their sales? Or what other title(s) could have possibly sold over 20k this week?

Rock_Man

IceIpor said:
Judging from last week's top ten, did all 9 DS games maintain their sales? Or what other title(s) could have possibly sold over 20k this week?

Yes, and I think they will raise this week. Add a new Kanji title to that.

Jonnyram

IceIpor said:
For that to be possible, there needs to be at least 10 games which have sold over Ridge Racer 7's 22k-ish.
There is a rumour that DSL had a massive restock. That would mean most of those games would sell more this week.

Mato

I wonder what Sony is trying to do with this. I can't believe such a multi-billion $ corporation bothers with such minuscule numbers. I bet they are the ones buying their own machines and reselling them for actual profit.

D2G

Banned
Mato said:
I wonder what Sony is trying to do with this. I can't believe such a multi-billion $ corporation bothers with such minuscule numbers. I bet they are the ones buying their own machines and reselling them for actual profit.

prove that ps3 isnt vapoware?

Lobster

Banned
IceIpor said:

Everyone who missed out on a Ps3 propably didn't leave empty handed.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hmmm a massive restock of DSs right when the PS3 launched... Coincidence? I bet lots of folks who couldn't get a PS3, now have a shiny new DS Lite. And a couple games.

jesusraz

BlindN-Fan said:
Everyone who missed out on a Ps3 propably didn't leave empty handed.

That definitely has to be the case. Nintendo will have been more than aware of this PS3 shortage situation and if it doesn't capitalise on it, then it'd be foolish.

Has there been a new advertising push for any particular DS games in Japan over the last week? Or promotional stuff going on?

iifu

Neo Member
Jonnyram said:
There is a rumour that DSL had a massive restock. That would mean most of those games would sell more this week.
Yeah I noticed Amazon.co.jp had DS Lites in stock for a few hours this weekend. :lol

ziran

i still don't think there's much to read into these figures, it's to be expected from a new launch with limited supply. if things continue and ps3 ends up in a situation next year where it needs system sellers because there isn't the userbase to sell decent quantities of sw, then, sure, there's trouble. the biggest problem sony has is manufacturing enough ps3 hardware because of high demand, and this is not a terrible position to be in.

as for the big winner this year, as many have already said, it's ds. nintendo has just announced they're shipping 1.5 million units in japan this december and if recent sales are anything to go by it still won't be enough.

it's in everyone's interest for sony, nintendo and ms to do well because we get better games because of it.

billysea

Banned
lol, even they add up the numbers of all the software sale it still doesn't exceed the tiny hardware sale number. Next gen games gonna cost tons to make and sell tiny.

TFIFF

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Hmmm a massive restock of DSs right when the PS3 launched... Coincidence? I bet lots of folks who couldn't get a PS3, now have a shiny new DS Lite. And a couple games.

A couple of games? For the cost of the American 60 GB PS3, they could have gotten a DS Lite and 12-13 new games.

They also could have got roughly 6000 packages of Ramen - THINK ABOUT IT.

Zweisy1

lol, even they add up the numbers of all the software sale it still doesn't exceed the tiny hardware sale number. Next gen games gonna cost tons to make and sell tiny.

Yup, I wonder what kind of budgets Ridge Racer 7 and Gundam had. Looks like developers won't be making much profit on PS3 games anytime soon.

DS will claim the top ten for the next few weeks.
Wii will launch and camp in said top ten also
3rd party support will look at DS/Wii combo FTW

Ken will retire and Join Yamauchi in Heaven

DefectiveReject said:
DS will claim the top ten for the next few weeks.
Wii will launch and camp in said top ten also
3rd party support will look at DS/Wii combo FTW

Ken will retire and Join Yamauchi in Heaven
It's evil..... I like it!

Jonnyram said:
Heads up for next week. Jamira is reporting that only 30,000 PS3s will be shipped to retailers this Saturday, instead of the previously expected 100,000.
As I expected, PS3 is not going to beat Xbox360 LTD in its 3 weeks before Wii. And so, its never going to lead next-gen market in Japan, lol...

Btw, RR7 and Gundam 20k vs 30k on Famitsu...errr

castle007

Banned
Jonnyram said:

it is not a rumor. IGN already had an article 3 or 4 days ago about long lines just for DSL because of restocking

Top Bottom