• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 21-27, 2009

Rock_Man

Longest bump for PS3 so far:

famitsu-ps3wiix360-090920.png

DS is gaining shares on the portable market again:

famitsu-dspsp-090920.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DSi 63,342
PS3 39,960
PSP 17,334
DS Lite 15,057
Wii 11,731
Xbox 360 4,854
PS2 2,347

Lowest Wii week ever, PS3 down a lot more than what Famitsu had.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the numbers :) I was just about to post the Media Create numbers myself hehe :) What is the hardware numbers for the PS3 for September combined from both Famitsu and Media Create?

jeremy1456

schuelma said:
DSi 63,342
PS3 39,960
PSP 17,334
DS Lite 15,057
Wii 11,731
Xbox 360 4,854
PS2 2,347

It's not so bad for Wii considering this is right before the price drop.

EDIT: Wow at PS3 number compared to Famitsu. This is more like what I expected.

beast786

jeremy1456 said:

Its not a significant price drop. But i do agree with you. PS3 numbers were way lower before the price cut. Which also made sense due to the significane of it.

jeremy1456 said:

Maybe this is telling us that the price drop won't have a significant impact, as someone stated before, price point is not the barrier to further success. It only dropped a few thousand, whereas the PS3 HW plummeted to near zero.

jeremy1456

pseudocaesar said:
Maybe this is telling us that the price drop won't have a significant impact, as someone stated before, price point is not the barrier to further success. It only dropped a few thousand, whereas the PS3 HW plummeted to near zero.

If I remember correctly the no systems have plummeted like the PS3, but there have been instances where the sales still skyrocket.

PS3 also was having extreme supply issues from what I understand.

schuelma

pseudocaesar said:

Possibly, but remember that this week still had 3-4 days of normal sales before the price drop was even announced..so obviously it was going to do more than 1-2K for the week.

Road

Thanks for the data, Chris and bttb. A terrible 2Q is really bringing this years' numbers down; DQ and Pokémon did their job, as expected, as much as they could.

bttb said:
To outperform 2008, 2009 will need Q4 sales of over 231.25 billion yen.
I'm not sure if Chris was referring to the whole market, but I think it's possible we'll see bigger software sales this year than in 2008. As he mentioned, this last quarter is really strong -- we're probably looking at sales of over one million for FFXIII, PHGSS, TC, WF+ and NSMBWii each.

On the hardware front, though, doesn't seem possible at all. And considering things are down so much, with price cuts all around, I guess it's certain this will bring 2009 under 2008 as a whole.

And major disagreement between MC and Famitsu with PS3. We'll have to wait for another couple of weeks to see how that pans out (if PS3 will fall fast like MC indicates, or slowly as Famitsu is estimating).

FrankT

jeremy1456 said:

EDIT: Wow at PS3 number compared to Famitsu. This is more like what I expected.

More in line with what I expected as well. Anyhow, pretty decent gap between the two this week to be sure.

jeremy1456

And holy crap at PSP - it's almost selling as low as the DS Lite!

Is there a reason for this? I.E. is the price dropping, or are they releasing a new model?

schuelma

jeremy1456 said:

Is there a reason for this? I.E. is the price dropping, or are they releasing a new model?

It's been tracking almost as low as Wii for months but no one has seemed to notice or really care.

jeremy1456

schuelma said:
It's been tracking almost as low as Wii for months but no one has seemed to notice or really care.

If the price isn't dropping, and a new model isn't being released then I guess the comeback is over.

EDIT: Doh! Didn't know the price dropped today.

test_account

XP-39C²
jeremy1456 said:

Both, the PSP pricedrop started today (Thursday) and the PSP Go was released today as well. Unfortunately i am not sure how much these things affected this week's (or maybe it is more correct to say the previous week) PSP sales though, since as schuelma says, the PSP hardware sales has been rather low for the last month or so.

EDIT: The PSP Go isnt out before 1st of November in Japan as Jonnyram said. I thought that the PSP Go was coming out in Japan today, i am sorry about this mistake :\

jeremy1456

test_account said:
Both, the PSP pricedrop started today (Thursday) and the PSP Go was released today as well. Unfortunately i am not sure how much these things affected this week's (or maybe it is more correct to say the previous week) PSP sales though, since as schuelma says, the PSP hardware sales has been rather low for the last month or so.

I'm not expecting the Go to make a significant ripple, but the price drop definitely would have an effect.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
schuelma said:
DSi 63,342
PS3 39,960
PSP 17,334
DS Lite 15,057
Wii 11,731
Xbox 360 4,854
PS2 2,347

I have a feeling the drop in PS3 numbers has something to do with the holiday in Japan last week. Weren't business closed for a day or two?

Busaiku

jeremy1456 said:
If the price isn't dropping, and a new model isn't being released then I guess the comeback is over.
The price is dropping by about $35 this week (which puts it on par with the DS Lite).
But it's gotten lower before the announcement was made last week.

AlphaSnake said:
I have a feeling the drop in PS3 numbers has something to do with the holiday in Japan last week. Weren't business closed for a day or two?
Nope. For the most part, businesses in Japan never close during holidays. It would be leaving far too much money on the table.

schuelma

AlphaSnake said:

I believe holiday's in Japan usually produce the opposite.

EXGN

Woah @ the discrepancy between Famitsu and MC. I know Famitsu usually tracks a few thousand units higher, but that's quite a difference.

Road

As a funny fact, MC also tracked the first four weeks of PSP slim down compared to Famitsu.

MC was was 3.32% lower then (545,000 vs 527,000); now it is 3.91% (310,000 vs 298,000).

test_account

XP-39C²
jeremy1456 said:
I'm not expecting the Go to make a significant ripple, but the price drop definitely would have an effect.
Ye, i also dont think that the PSP Go will be that huge, at least not in Japan, but i wouldnt be that surprised if this week's PSP hardware numbers were affected a little (maybe a few thousands PSP sales or so? but unfortunately i dont know) because of the PSP Go release, but who knows :)

By the way, is there a supply problem with the PS3 in Japan? I saw that you mentioned it earlier.

jeremy1456

test_account said:
Ye, i also dont think that the PSP Go will be that huge, at least not in Japan, but i wouldnt be that surprised if this week's PSP hardware numbers were affected a little because of the PSP Go release, but who knows :)

By the way, is there a supply problem with the PS3 in Japan? I saw that you mentioned it earlier.

I don't know about the current status on PS3 supply, but I am pretty sure there was a shortage of the console just before the Slim's release which led to such poor sales leading up to it.

EDIT: And by this time next year I think Sony will have already swept the PSP Go under the rug worldwide.

Y'know, regardless of what does or doesn't come from it, discussing the difference between "fall conference" and "retailer meeting" sounds so much more boring than back-in-the-day clarifications between "Space World" and "Shoshinkai".

Onix said:
Given that Tales outsold the 360's LTD in it's first week, and the fact the majority has already been translated for the Western 360 release ...
I don't think that being so much more successful in Japan would have much affect on that decision. The X360/PS3 dynamic is a liiiitle different outside of Japan.
Hero of Legend said:
So isn't MH3 officially the highest selling 3rd-party home console game in Japan this gen?
Yep; since it's second week, I believe.
Die Squirrel Die said:
Didn't they both work on the PS2, apart from the ToS on GC, which ended up being a one-off?
Yeah, apart from Symphonia and Vesperia, console Tales has basically been all about the market leader.
schuelma said:
Wii

I'm sure this is waaaaay oversimplifying things, but they've basically been at parity since PSP stopped being the only one flaunting a Monster Hunter.

laserbeam

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
I don't know about the current status on PS3 supply, but I am pretty sure there was a shortage of the console just before the Slim's release which led to such poor sales leading up to it.

EDIT: And by this time next year I think Sony will have already swept the PSP Go under the rug worldwide.

Yeah pre Slim there was shortage simply because Sony stopped shipping any Phats.

Theres no issue with stock now its just the nature of the beast. Boosted sales will drop the game to play now is when all is said and down where does the PS3 settle into weekly sales wise.

test_account said:

I still think the PSP low numbers are due to the PS3 slim
the numbers have declined constantly since the Slim launch, about a month ago..

jeremy1456 said:

Our various reliable reports on the ground suggested that we weren't really a "can't get one if you want one" level shortage. The problem wasn't as much a lack of consoles to buy as that (unlike both other regions) the price drop didn't take effect immediately and so you'd have to be an idiot to spend 39,000 on a PS3 when it'd be 29,000 a week later.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nope. For the most part, businesses in Japan never close during holidays. It would be leaving far too much money on the table.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Odd that there is such a wide gap between Famitsu and MC numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Road said:
As a funny fact, MC also tracked the first four weeks of PSP slim down compared to Famitsu.

MC was was 3.32% lower then (545,000 vs 527,000); now it is 3.91% (310,000 vs 298,000).
That is a quite similar percentage difference between Famitsu and Media Create indeed :)

jeremy1456 said:
Ah yes, that is true, there were indeed some PS3 Phat supply issues right before the release of the PS3 Slim because Sony stopped to ship more PS3 Phats as laserbeam said. But i dont think that there has been that much supply problems with the PS3 Slim :) And as charlequin said, the PS3 sales before the PS3 Slim most likely went down also because people were waiting for the PS3 pricedrop to start.

jeremy1456 said:
I dont know, seeing that the PSP Go is an addition to the normal PSP (the PSP Go isnt dircetly trying to replace the normal PSP), i can see that Sony will support both the PSP and the PSP Go for some time. If the PSP Go doesnt sell that well, maybe Sony can still support it, but on a smaller scale? But i dont know. I also guess it depends on how long the PSP Go's price will stay at it's current price. I wouldnt be that surprised if we see a PSP Go pricedrop within 1 year from now. But who knows what will happend, it might be that Sony will stop to support and produce the PSP Go within one year as you say. I think that it shall be interesting to see how the PSP Go will do in the upcoming time at least :)

BlazingDarkness said:
That is a good point, i havnt really thought about this :) It might be that more people have decided to buy a PS3 instead of a PSP indeed.

EDIT: I added some text.

d+pad

JoshuaJSlone said:
Y'know, regardless of what does or doesn't come from it, discussing the difference between "fall conference" and "retailer meeting" sounds so much more boring than back-in-the-day clarifications between "Space World" and "Shoshinkai".

Do you or anyone else here know why Nintendo stopped Space World? Consider they don't go to Tokyo Game Show either, you'd think they want to do *something* in their own country.

Man, Nintendo is such a strange company...

freddy

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
The same could be said for Wii and DSi.

Both PSP/PS3 and Wii/DS are more comparable to each other in the type of games that mainly land on those systems.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
test_account said:
That is a good point, i havnt really thought about this :) It might be that more people have decided to buy a PS3 instead of a PSP indeed.

Doesn't make any sense honestly, we might as well start making up our own numbers then if we accept something as far fetched as this.
The platforms are so different from each other in every way imaginable that even if in some cases what you're suggesting might have happened, the % of buy-switch for Sony's hardware would end up being such a minor number that it'd still resonate as a close-to-zero impact on PSP's numbers of late (read: statistical noise).
There's really no reason why we should accept that the PS3 Slim hurt the PSP significally more than the Wii/X360/DSi.

Jonnyram

test_account said:
PSP Go is November 1st, not October 1st. But yeah, the price drop and the Gran Turismo bundle probably made a bunch of people hold off until this week. I don't think PS3 Slim sales will hurt PSP that much, because the PSP and PS3 Slim will work well in tandem for PSN, Gran Turismo, ad-hoc party, etc. etc.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dash Kappei said:
Doesn't make any sense honestly, we might as well start making up our own numbers then if we accept something as far fetched (read: impossible) as this.
The platforms are so different from each other in every way imaginable that even if in some cases what you're suggesting might have happened, the % of buy-switch for Sony's hardware would end up being such a minor number that it'd still resonate as a close-to-zero impact on PSP's numbers of late (read: statistical noise).
It is near impossible to say for sure, but seeing that the PSP sales have gone a bit down after the PS3 Slim was released as BlazingDarkness said, it was just some thoughts from my side if the PS3 Slim sales could have had some affect on the PSP sales. It might just have been a coincidence if there were some other reasons that the PSP sales went a bit down after the PS3 Slim came out though, it is not easy to know for sure. But i thought that it was a good point to mention this at least :)

It is true that the PSP and the PS3 have many difference as you say. And the PSP is a handheld systems while the PS3 is a standalone system, so they operate in 2 different markets indeed, but both the PSP and the PS3 are gaming systems, so they have that in common at least :) But to be honest i dont think that the PS3 Slim sales have had that much affect on the PSP sales because they are 2 different systems as you say. But i think that it is a bit interesting that the PSP sales had gone down since the PS3 Slim came out at least, but that might be because of other reason(s) than the PS3 Slim though. I think that it shall be interesting to see how the PSP and the PS3 sales will contunie to be now that the PSP has gotten a pricedrop :)

Jonnyram said:
PSP Go is November 1st, not October 1st. But yeah, the price drop and the Gran Turismo bundle probably made a bunch of people hold off until this week. I don't think PS3 Slim sales will hurt PSP that much, because the PSP and PS3 Slim will work well in tandem for PSN, Gran Turismo, ad-hoc party, etc. etc.
Ah ok, i thought that the PSP Go was out in Japan today as well as in the US, i am sorry about the mistake :\ Thanks for the info! :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey Test, I think that while you were already writing a reply I edited and added some more (con)text to my post, I think that clears it up a bit, especially the bottom line. :)
I also wrote "as YOU're suggesting" while that wasn't the case, so I apologize about that.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Jonnyram said:
Ohh forgot about the GT mobile bundle in Japan. After getting my hands on the GO I think its going do good in Japan. Its so sexy, small and slick. dload only though may be a factor in the land of the rising sun.

[PSP] Gran Turismo (SCE) - SE 50,000 (33%) / BE 4,900 (26%)

What?

Are people waiting for the go bundles?

Taurus

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (10/01)

[WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - SA 108,000 (42%) / BB 9,300 (16%)
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Blizzard (Level 5) - 93,000 (52%)
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire (Level 5) - 80,000 (49%)
[PSP] Gran Turismo (SCE) - SE 50,000 (33%) / BE 4,900 (26%)
[PSP] Macross Ultimate Frontier (Bandai Namco Games) - SE 36,000 (42%) / LE 28,000 (83%)
[PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo) - SE 24,000 (46%) / LE 3,200 (56%)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (Koei) - 16,000 (23%)
[PSP] Minna no Sukkiri (SCE) - 7,700 (21%)
[PS3] Trinity Universe (Idea Factory) - SE 6,600 (30%) / LE 2,600 (50%)
[PSP] Winning Post 7 2009 (Koei) - 4,900 (40%)
[PSP] Mana Khemia 2: Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi Portable+ (Gust) - 4,400 (26%)
[360] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (Koei) - 3,800 (25%)
[360] Cross Edge Dash (Compile Heart) - 2,300 (26%)
[PS2] Hiiro no Kakera: Shin Tamayorihime Denshou (Idea Factory) - SE 1,700 (40%) / LE 1,500 (54%)
[PS2] Shin Hisui no Shizuku: Hiiro no Kakera 2 (Idea Factory) - 1,500 (40%)
[PS2] Touka Gettan: Koufuu no Ryouou (Kadokawa Shoten) - DX 1,400 (44%)
[WII] MySims Agents (Electronic Arts) - 950 (20%)
[PSP] Shadow of Memories (Konami) - 880 (12%)
[PS2] Hiiro no Kakera Aizouban (Idea Factory) - 780 (30%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1254404390/322

SE = Standard Edition / LE = Limited Edition
SA = Standalone / BB = Balance Board / BE = Bundle Edition / DX = DX Pack
Seems like PS3 hw won't drop that much with all the new software showing up on the lists. 30-35k..ish?

What kind of bump are people waiting for Wii Fit Plus and price drop to have on Wii hw? 50k+?

Zorglub

Inamuza 2 sold almost 200k first day ?? Great number, considering Inamuza 1 sold only 41k on first week (according famitsu) !

Vinnk

jeremy1456 said:
PS3 also was having extreme supply issues from what I understand.

Only extreme demand issues. A few dedicated gaming stores in big cities were sold out of some models. But most stores had them (all the department stores and online shops). If someone wanted one, they could get it. But at $100 more for the less cool looking one, I am not surprised that most people waited.

Wow, much lower numbers than I thought for pretty much everything...

Wii Fit Plus only does 100k...at such a cheap price I thought it would do more. Looks like it's not even going to beat Wii Sports Resort's week one (I believe it had day 1 sales of ~150,000).

GT PSP only 55k...looks like week 1 will be much weaker than GT5 Prologue, even though it's a much more complete game. Couldn't have been that many more online downloads, could it?

Trinity Universe also really weak, looks like about ~15k for week one...

Aru

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (10/01)

[PSP] Shadow of Memories (Konami) - 880 (12%)

Such low numbers here :/

Konami wasn't really expecting anything with a 8000 units shipment either.

Top Bottom