• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Some people prefer God Eater.

But the series is very niche. On a platform with a very big install base and MH, it didn't break the 600k. I don't know why people think that it would break here and that they are dissapointed with the sales.

How so? Didn't the PSP only one multi-million series (maybe GT 5 also, not sure), which was MH. The PS3, multi and million sellers are pretty much FF. On a Sony system last generation 600k isn't niche.

sörine

Banned

But the series is very niche. On a platform with a very big install base and MH, it didn't break the 600k. I don't know why people think that it would break here and that they are dissapointed with the sales.
God Eater broke 600k on PSP.

99% of games confirmed niche in Japan

Maybe if people ask really hard, God Eater will be ported to 3DS.

Maybe if you keep being sarcastic it will happens as well.

Spiegel

God Eater 2 for 3DS would probably be well above 366k by now. It's not a random game with questionable art.

Just like a great looking 4P co-op One Piece game would probably be well above 300k on 3DS right now, right?

Save your "probablys". Maybe GE2 psp would have done better than it did because the 3DS version wouldn't be that big of an upgrade, right?

Fisico

Fire emblem man, that game sold in the best in in it's series partly due to that. Can't really say ecchi doesn't sell. It's the fair more slightly niche brands which you may make an argument for.

That's actually very tame Nintendo sells this,

w9WQI9Wl.jpg
[/

There's a difference between waifus & ecchi character designs I guess (unless you want to pretend the Persona brand is ecchi in some ways ?)

The Tharja's figure is made by a third party (Good Smile) months/years after the release and Nintendo doesn't promote it in any way, I, for one, don't understand at all the fuss around this precise character btw.
Moreover the main game doesn't have ecchi at all, (visual) fanservice only appears in one DLC map

The characters of God Eater I showed are like this in the whole freaking game, the Dakimakura are promoted on the official website blog, you know Dakimakura / Body pillow the typical creepy otaku stuff which come with various other things from the Otaku subculture.

God Eater 2 is Vita's most successful title and a well-selling PSP title.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There's a difference between waifus & ecchi character designs I guess (unless you want to pretend the Persona brand is ecchi in some ways ?)

The Tharja's figure is made by a third party (Good Smile) months/years after the release and Nintendo doesn't promote it in any way, I, for one, don't understand at all the fuss around this precise character btw.
Moreover the main game doesn't have ecchi at all, (visual) fanservice only appears in one DLC map

The characters of God Eater I showed are like this in the whole freaking game, the Dakimakura are promoted on the official website blog, you know Dakimakura / Body pillow the typical creepy otaku stuff which come with various other things from the Otaku subculture.

Nintendo allowed the merchandising, you can't merchandise their stuff without their consent. If they saw it as damaging they'd take actions to remove it (unless it's some super niche stuff not worth bothering with.

Also it's not about Nintendo it's about what sells. Senran Kagura took off as a IP on the 3DS your entire premise is just plain flawed. I don't even understand why your still arguing it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
?
Senran Kagura sold better on Vita so I'm having an hard time following your logic.

With an anime launch and a price cut. Of course it sold better, the IP would have to be very weak for it not to. The next game non digital only game is being released on the 3DS

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looking at Comgnet numbers, I'm starting being worried about Yakuza on PS4. It's just too low right now.

Takao

Banned
How many people on the 3DS want a MonHun clone? There's a reason why Gaist Crusher bombed despite being heavily promoted.

I don't know, but to say that 3DS owners wouldn't want any because they have Monster Hunter is a bit off. There were successful Monster Hunter "clones" on a platform that had multiple Monster Hunter games.

Fisico

With an anime launch and a price cut. Of course it sold better, the IP would have to be very weak for it not to. The next game non digital is being released on the 3DS

Except the anime sold like shit and the price cut of the Vita didn't have any lasting effect.

Before it ends up god knows where, my point was that God Eater is a license clearly aimed at otakus at least partially (way more with the second episode than the first), and various titles already proved the 3DS is not necessarily the best platform for this public which is why a 3DS version of God Eater 2 wouldn't sell gangbusters magically as 3Kaze pointed out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Honestly think God eater would have done well on the 3DS not, that well necessarily if it released last year but if it had been released this year or the year before last that I think it had potential.

The trends I'm seeing in regards to 3DS install base is they tend to gravitate to name brand tried and tasted franchises or well marketed Nintendo games in general (since the public holds Nintendo games in reasonable esteem). If your not neither of these then you tend to have issues.

But I think God Eater was a franchise large enough to have benefited from the 3DS install base rather than be hurt by it. With a large enough campaign and in a period where it was not directly competiting with MH I think it would have done very well.

Except the anime sold like shit and the price cut of the Vita didn't have any lasting effect.

Before it ends up god knows where, my point was that God Eater is a license clearly aimed at otakus at least partially (way more with the second episode than the first), and various titles already proved the 3DS is not necessarily the best platform for this public which is why a 3DS version of God Eater 2 wouldn't sell gangbusters magically as 3Kaze pointed out.

So the game was front loaded it didn't need the price cut to have a lasting effect.

Also the Anime improved awareness regardless how well it did.

3DS release was a new IP complete risk, Vita game was game a with an established brand with an anime that was released during a price cut. If you can't see how one tends to sell more than other regardless (unless the install base just plain isn't interested) then this argument is pointless

Fisico

Of course it would have done well, but done well like 400k or 1M ? No one knows the answer.

I think the choice of Vita had more to do that they already had a PSP version and it wouldn't have make any sense to make it PSP/3DS and split the userbase for a game which relies heavily on local multiplayers.

When they made the choice of going for a PSP/Vita multiplatform it's clear that they changed the visuals of the game to fit the public of the platform (just remember the first few screens back in 2010 that looked like Type 0), and now they're kinda tied to it and cannot really make a turnback regarding that aspect of the game.

[...] Senran Kagura [...]

Hey let's just make an avatar bet than Senran Kagura 2 won't sell better than Shinovi VS !

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Of course it would have done well, but done well like 400k or 1M ? No one knows the answer.

I think the choice of Vita had more to do that they already had a PSP version and it wouldn't have make any sense to make it PSP/3DS and split the userbase for a game which relies heavily on local multiplayers.

When they made the choice of going for a PSP/Vita multiplatform it's clear that they changed the visuals of the game to fit the public of the platform (just remember the first few screens back in 2010 that looked like Type 0), and now they're kinda tied to it and cannot really make a turnback regarding that aspect of the game.

See if you believe then whats the point of the rest of the crap your were arguing. I don't, understand I just don't. You were arguing as if the artstyle would be some deterrence when that artistyle is standard anime fair.

I don't get it I really don't.

Hey let's just make an avatar bet than Senran Kagura 2 won't sell better than Shinovi VS !

No because the fact the developer basically ditched the 3DS fanbase with the Vita release has a reasonable chance negatively affecting the games sales.

It's not as if the games fanbase on the 3DS (or in general) was all that large to begin with.

hongcha

Bravely Default has more risque costumes. As does Seisou no Amazoness. Still, I don't think there's any chance GE2 would get released on the 3DS, now, before, or in the future.

Fisico

See if you believe then whats the point of the rest of the crap your were arguing. I don't, understand I just don't. You were arguing as if the artstyle would be some deterrence when that artistyle is standard anime fair.

I don't get it I really don't.

It was in my first post of the thread look.
The art in God Eater 2 is questionable and would affect how a GE2 Burst would sell on 3DS in case of multiplatform PSV/3DS release, it would split the userbase and the benefite in sales would not necessary be worth it in the long term (just look at what L5 has done not so long ago)

No because the fact the developer basically ditched the 3DS fanbase with the Vita release has a reasonable chance negatively affecting the games sales.
It's not as if the games fanbase on the 3DS (or in general) was all that large to begin with.

Didn't they ditched the Vita fanbase with the latest announcements lol ?

DaBoss

The PSP had 14M LTD when God Eater launched.

The only benefit God Eater would have to be on the 3DS would be to get some of the audience on the 3DS that wasn't there on the PSP or PSV.

God Eater 2 looks like a success on the PSV and PSP (and doesn't fragment the userbase for multiplayer), though its legs seem to be kinda weak.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It was in my first post of the thread look.
The art in God Eater 2 is questionable and would affect how a GE2 Burst would sell on 3DS in case of multiplatform PSV/3DS release, it would split the userbase and the benefite in sales would not necessary be worth it in the long term (just look at what L5 has done not so long ago)

Indeed they did wonder how the cooking game sells.

The PSP had 14M LTD when God Eater launched.

The only benefit God Eater would have to be on the 3DS would be to get some of the audience on the 3DS that wasn't there on the PSP or PSV.

God Eater was a new IP. Also the PSP wasn't known for high selling games (barely any sold over a million)

Sandfox

It was in my first of the thread look.

Does Japan really find the art in GE2 questionable?

Also, the thing with SK is that the mainline games are on 3DS while the SV spinoffs are on Sony platforms. SK2 will probably do pretty well for itself given the growth in both the install base, SK's popularity as well which seems to be leading to an increased budget and possibly more marketing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Unless Estival Versus is PS3/PS4 and isn't PS3/PSV or PS4/PSV, I wouldn't necessarily say that.

Until they announce it and the fact it hasn't be properly announced means the intention is clear. They want you to feel like the mainline is coming to the 3DS even if they announce and release a a retail Vita spin off afterwards.

The veritable having your cake and eating it too.

mrjohill

I don't know, but to say that 3DS owners wouldn't want any because they have Monster Hunter is a bit off. There were successful Monster Hunter "clones" on a platform that had multiple Monster Hunter games.

has there been any successful Monster Hunter "clones" on 3ds yet? All i know of is Gaist Crusher and Attack on Titan.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
has there been any successful Monster Hunter "clones" on 3ds yet? All i know of is Gaist Crusher and Attack on Titan.

There haven't been many monster hunter clones full stop, most are licenced games, which won't necessarily resonate with the hunting action player base because it's licensed so it has it's own preconceptions and may not even be particularly marketed much like a hunting action games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Exactly, God Eater was a huge success on the PSP and have done well with God Eater 2.

They've done ok, I wouldn't really consider not yet outselling your first iteration of an IP a great success (yet) since that would imply a decline already, but it will likely do so it did reasonably.

Let's just hope the Vita version has some legs

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I was answering Principale who said that they almost ditched the 3DS fanbase with Shinovi Versus
Of course both are an exageration

When you release a spin off on a competiting platform and don't mention any projects the initial platform, your userbase is given a message. It's like Monster Hunter releasing on the 3DS unless Capcom announces a MH Vita, Vita owners won't be expecting a announcement. That means I large amount truly interested ina MH would have gotten a 3DS.

Considering it's been a year and we're talking about an 100k fanbase, who knows how many bought a PS Vita to play the next iteration. That's the issue I'm talking about. Who knows how many preferred that iteration. For relatively small game those sorts of numbers begin to matter.

Companies are clear for a reason and they tend to be shrouded for a reason. Especially in situations such as these.

DaBoss

They've done ok, I wouldn't really consider not yet outselling your first iteration of an IP a great success (yet) since that would imply a decline already, but it will likely do so it did reasonably.

Let's just hope the Vita version has some legs
Huh? I don't get what you're saying.

God Eater Burst was released on the PSP as an expansion release. Sold north of 400K.

They need to make the transition of moving their fanbase to the next platform.

MH3G sold less than many entries before it, but it is definitely a success.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Huh? I don't get what you're saying.

God Eater Burst was released on the PSP as an expansion release. Sold north of 400K.

They need to make the transition of moving their fanbase to the next platform.

MH3G sold less than many entries before it, but it is definitely a success.

Somebody said the original god eater sold 600k, I assume that was without burst but included budget re-release if was that not the case, then my analysis is false.

nightever

47/88 - Gaist Crusher - 6,810 / 23,491

Rise, this is the beginning.

I'm ready. As I have been saying, GE2 has a respectable LTD between both platforms, but I can't help but feel like it should have sold more, and maybe Namco feels the same.

How would they limit the local multi-player by having it on the most popular platform? D:

God Eater 2 for 3DS would probably be well above 366k by now. It's not a random game with questionable art.

I can say same thing regarding MH, despite people here keep saying it will hurt sales, i'd say MH4 will sell 5 million now if it is multi.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And the next next one is on PS platform, what's your point?

That hasn't been formally announced where, or even implied yet. Besides I was even talking about this scenario. Both systems are getting a game, it's original scenario in which a game was announced for the 3DS more than a year after it's initial 3DS release with a Vita spin that made no hint of this release that, likely would have confused fans.

Especially considering the developer interviews in the periods between.

Top Bottom