• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2013 (Mar 11 - Mar 17)

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't know how it can be interpreted any other way. You can't say based on the chart, VITA is selling great but we can't judge 3DS sales performance using the same chart.

My reply was simply to point out the logic in this post was flawed. How does "two vita models are in the top 15 on amazon chart" indicate that vita hardware is selling better than last week? If we can use the chart to say VITA is selling better than last week, couldn't we come to the same conclusion that VITA is outselling 3DS this week? If it is "clear the 3ds is not going to drop below 60k", how does the chart show that VITA will sell 40-50K?
I interpreted it like that because the question he answered was only if the Vita hardware sales could increase next week, 3DS wasnt mentioned in the question at hand. I then understood it like he though the Vita hardware sales might have a chance of increasing next week because of this anecdotal evidence, using Amazon ranking as an example. Kinda like comparing Comgnet rankings to different games, estimating roughly if a game might do good or bad. But that doesnt necessarily means that 'Game X' will sell more than 'Game Y' even if 'Game X' has more Comgnet ranking point than 'Game Y'.

It can be interpreted the other way around as well i think, but only hongcha knows for sure what he ment :)

GRW810

I think over 350k would be fine

judging by people here they will be disapointed if it doest reach 300.000 in week 1

personally i place my bet on 175.000 - 200.000.
Just for Japan? Just for first week? Wow. If it is selling as well as it seems to be in NA and EU shifts a good number this could be a huge hit.

I was expecting it to limp towards one million as Kid Icarus did, but to have stronger legs and move towards two million soon enough. Clearly I was being pessimistic!

BriBri

Just for Japan? Just for first week? Wow. If it is selling as well as it seems to be in NA and EU shifts a good number this could be a huge hit.

I was expecting it to limp towards one million as Kid Icarus did, but to have stronger legs and move towards two million soon enough. Clearly I was being pessimistic!
I'm guessing good word of mouth will help. This is what I contribute to Soul Sacrifice's lower second week drop than I first would have thought. I wonder when we'll see a Soul Sacrifice sequel? 2014?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Clearly something between 1 and 2 millions will be the LTD for Luigi's Mansion 2.

GRW810

Clearly something between 1 and 2 millions will be the LTD for Luigi's Mansion 2.
Really? If it sells 300k in one week in just Japan you don't think it will ever surpass two million?

Given the positivity over opening week expectations I'm now thinking four million eventually.

Really? If it sells 300k in one week in just Japan you don't think it will ever surpass two million?

Given the positivity over opening week expectations I'm now thinking four million eventually.

54b3e46b_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

You do realise OoT, a remake, sold over two million, right? And with more 3DS consoles on the market now and wider appeal of the Mario/Luigi franchise I can't imagine LM2 selling less.

EDIT: For clarity I'm talking worldwide, not just Japan.

Your expectations are out of reality. With a LTD of 500-1000k (there is no chance for 1000k but anyway) in Japan where will the rest millions be found? Counting the copies as double packs could solve this problem.

Your expectations are out of reality. With a LTD of 500-1000k (there is no chance for 1000k but anyway) in Japan where will the rest millions be found? Counting the copies as double packs could solve this problem.

That's awfully dismissive to suggest there's no chance of a million in Japan, while i dont think itll get quite that high its definitely a possibility

GRW810

NA, EU... the same place the other millions come from for other top Nintendo games. With a good initial burst of sales in each territory, lengthy legs, maybe a hardware bundle, digital sales and an eventual price cut I don't see how 3m is a ridiculous number.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's so ridiculous to be so readily and arrogantly dismissed. It's not like I've guaranteed ten million or something. I'm saying it's basically going to sell better than Kid Icarus: Uprising and on par with OoT 3D. Or should I just leave opinions to sales age geniuses?

NA, EU... the same place the other millions come from for other top Nintendo games. With a good initial burst of sales in each territory, lengthy legs, maybe a hardware bundle, digital sales and an eventual price cut I don't see how 3m is a ridiculous number.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's so ridiculous to be so readily and arrogantly dismissed. It's not like I've guaranteed ten million or something. I'm saying it's basically going to sell better than Kid Icarus: Uprising and on par with OoT 3D. Or should I just leave opinions to sales age geniuses?

The original game sold well over 2 million LTD iirc so no, I don't think your predictions are that out of reality as previously suggested. OoT 3D will continue selling and a 4 million LTD is probably even possible. Luigi's Mansion is not as much a wildcard as Kid Icarus but it's been away for a while so predictions/expectations are going to vary. I think it should pretty easily cross 2 million WW though in the end.

Tenki

The original game sold well over 2 million LTD iirc so no, I don't think your predictions are that out of reality as previously suggested. OoT 3D will continue selling and a 4 million LTD is probably even possible. Luigi's Mansion is not as much a wildcard as Kid Icarus but it's been away for a while so predictions/expectations are going to vary. I think it should pretty easily cross 2 million WW though in the end.

The original LM did 350k in Japan and 2.19M in the US alone. So adding the European sales, I guess it's well over 3M. Maybe 3.5M?

Yep, just as expected, the Vita is plummeting in sales again and will find its way back to 10k in a couple of weeks, which is sad as shit.

Wii U still tanking, but DQX comes out next week which should help a little bit (but not much since it already came out on Wii).

Nintendo still has time to turn the Wii U around, but I can't help but think that the Vita is completely fucked.

NA, EU... the same place the other millions come from for other top Nintendo games.
For reference purposes estimated sell through for the 3DS in the US to the end of February 2013 is 8.03M.

Estimated sell through in Europe to the end of December 2012 is 7.11M. 3DS software rarely charts in either territory, as far as I'm aware.

c.f. with the 10.95M the 3DS enjoys in Japan as of this thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
Where is the 300k number for Luigi's Mansion coming from? Just a prediction or is it based on anything solid (shipment number for example)? I think 300k might be achieveable, i'm just wondering where this number comes from =)

Because Luigi's Mansion was a GC launch title, and as all launch titles, it benefitted from that. I do think Luigi's Mansion will do good worldwide but not as good as the first one. But who knows.

Where is the 300k number for Luigi's Mansion coming from? Just a prediction or is it based on anything solid (shipment number for example)? I think 300k might be achieveable, i'm just wondering where this number comes from =)

It's just what people are predicting based on anecdotal evidence. I myself would have pegged it at around 150k opening, but who knows.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Because Luigi's Mansion was a GC launch title, and as all launch titles, it benefitted from that. I do think Luigi's Mansion will do good worldwide but not as good as the first one. But who knows.

I dont think being a launch game for the Cube is bigger than being released on a plattform with a 30-35 million userbase. Especially since Melee was the to-go game for Cube owners pretty soon after launch.

Thorgal

Where is the 300k number for Luigi's Mansion coming from? Just a prediction or is it based on anything solid (shipment number or something)? I think 300k might be achieveable, i'm just wondering where this number comes from =)

i think it came from partly because of preorders of comgnet( which everyone should know is not end all be all ) and from rumors of it selling out in places .

also partly because of the success of 3ds in japan compared to the game cube.

my own prediction of 175.000 -200.000 is basically being conservative
if it sells more ill be happely pleased.

and to move away from weegee for a sec does anyone know how one piece is doing?

BriBri

i think it came from partly because of preorders of comgnet( which everyone should know is not end all be all ) and from rumors of it selling out in places .

And them billboards;)
6yma6ena.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
It's just what people are predicting based on anecdotal evidence. I myself would have pegged it at around 150k opening, but who knows.

I see, thanks for the info :)

GRW810

LM2 will probably do around 2 million lifetime, but I'm not seeing it doing 4+ million at all.
Not 4m+, that would be amazing. My prediction was 3-4m range, not 4m, though looking back at my post I didn't make it clear at all. If pinned down to a closer prediction I'd still say it had a good chance of reaching 3.25m. Closer to 4m is optimistic, while I'd say 2.5m minimum.

3D Land will is well on its way to 10 Million; am not sure why LM2 WW hitting 4 is so ridiculous.

3DLand is on another league entirely; it's performed way beyond many's expectations, selling even more than NSMB2, that is quite revealing.

On the other hand the first Luigi's mansion took benefit from being a highly anticipated launch-game with no much competition around, it was the best selling game before Smash hit the shelves and sold fairly well worldwide for what I can recollect.

Frankly I don't know whether Luigi's mansion 2 may top the first one in terms of sales, Luigi is very popular indeed and I am not writing off the possibility of that to happen altogether, besides I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I reckon it will be much front-loaded and no way with legs comparable to those of main Mario platform games, especially considering by the end of the year the new Pokemon game will steal the spotlight from anything else.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I repeat what I said earlier: IMHO Luigi's Mansion is going to be a million seller WW in its first month, if not in its first two weeks.

smbu2000

I don't know how it is at other stores, but at my local GEO for their big One Piece Musou 2 display they had like 12 PS3 display boxes and 1 Vita display box. I didn't notice there was a Vita box at first.

Anyway, I picked up Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 for PSP. Konami really made the psp version attractive this year with an under 3,980 yen price. The MSRP for the Vita and PS3 versions are 6,980/7,980 yen respectively. (Knock 10% off to get the average retail price of course) Last year the price for the PSP version was 5,980 yen so making it 1/3 cheaper is very nice!

serplux

3DLand is on another league entirely; it's performed way beyond many's expectations, selling even more than NSMB2, that is quite revealing.

On the other hand the first Luigi's mansion took benefit from being a highly anticipated launch-game with no much competition around, it was the best selling game before Smash hit the shelves and sold fairly well worldwide for what I can recollect.

Frankly I don't know whether Luigi's mansion 2 may top the first one in terms of sales, Luigi is very popular indeed and I am not writing off the possibility of that to happen altogether, besides I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I reckon it will be much front-loaded and no way with legs comparable to those of main Mario platform games, especially considering by the end of the year the new Pokemon game will steal the spotlight from anything else.

At the very least, I think it will do more than Paper Mario: Sticker Star. I expect it to end up around 3.5 million or so.

Top Bottom