• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

Yeah I can see that. I cannot imagine Wii Fit U isn't ready by now. Also, Iwata's comments at I believe the last Direct (or was it the financial briefing?) made it seem like the second half of the year is when a steady stream of software will arrive.

Going off his comments he definitely expected more 3rd party support than there is which explains why the games were still in the launch window until late.

I'm talking about the eShop charts for February (not the all-time charts). Flawed as they maybe but Animal Crossing was #1 throughout.
But what does that matter? ACNL demolished DQVII sales in general, and without complete digital sales we can't really see the proportions at play here to establish that sort of judgement on the audiences.

Plus it's an apples/oranges comparison in the first place. If DQVII launch had been as supply constrained as ACNL launch, do you think ACNL would've still charted higher on the eShop in February?

Going off his comments he definitely expected more 3rd party support than there is which explains why the games were still in the launch window until late.

I was disappointed with the lack of discussion of Wii U third-party support, both in the prepared presentation and the Q&A, in the last investor briefing, so hopefully this one delivers.

NotLiquid

It would be quite interesting but at the same time concerning to see Nintendo go out all guns blazing with their releases come the Summer if they pushed dates back. For one it'd mean they have one of the emptiest times of the year all to their own, but at the same time I was under the impression that Summer is one of the worst periods of the year for game releases alongside post-Holiday fatigue.

I think this might be on the right track. With the delays already out there, maybe it was deemed preferable to keep floundering now and try to concentrate things to summer when they'll be better able to keep releases steadily flowing into the fall/holidays. Basically hold back like Sony did with Vita last holiday.

I don't think Sony did it intentionally.

Orginal plan probably assumed Soul would be Christmas game for PSV and God Eater 2 was probably supposed to launch in march but software wasn't ready.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yeah I can see that. I cannot imagine Wii Fit U isn't ready by now. Also, Iwata's comments at I believe the last Direct (or was it the financial briefing?) made it seem like the second half of the year is when a steady stream of software will arrive.
Which may or may not accompany a price drop depending on how the initial stream of software does and what the competition have planned. Attempting to emulate 3DS really (honestly looked like the plan all along, with the 'premium' price of the console at launch). A lot of the panic in here as is the case every time could all end up being premature.

3DS never dropped into this kind of territory for this long, though. They have to be sweating a bit.

I don't think Sony did it intentionally.

Orginal plan probably assumed Soul would be Christmas game for PSV and God Eater 2 was probably supposed to launch in march but software wasn't ready.
Inafune practically said Sony asked them to delay the game with some stock excuse ('to make it better').

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It would be quite interesting but at the same time concerning to see Nintendo go out all guns blazing with their releases come the Summer if they pushed dates back. For one it'd mean they have one of the emptiest times of the year all to their own, but at the same time I was under the impression that Summer is one of the worst periods of the year for game releases alongside post-Holiday fatigue.

I think summer is a pretty big period in Japan, which we know Nintendo focuses on very heavily.

BriBri

But what does that matter? ACNL demolished DQVII sales in general, and without complete digital sales we can't really see the proportions at play here to establish that sort of judgement on the audiences.

Plus it's an apples/oranges comparison in the first place. If DQVII launch had been as supply constrained as ACNL launch, do you think ACNL would've still charted higher on the eShop in February?
Well we don't have the digital sales figures but fact:- DQ7 outsold Animal Crossing by a huge margin physically in February and Animal Crossing outsold DQ7 digitally by a margin we don't know in February. Therefore I concluded that the Dragon Quest fanbase are more inclined to buy physical over digital and the Animal Crossing fanbase are more likely to buy digital than the DQ fanbase.

Shahed

I know this may not be the right topic, but am I the only one who finds the Wii U sales depressing, like the Vita before it? Sure they were both kinda expected/deserved, but it still makes me sad that new systems aren't doing well. Kinda makes me paranoid about the future of dedicated gaming platforms

Laguna
Banned
(Today, 01:39 AM)

Skyzard
Banned
(Today, 12:41 AM

well now...

Good riddance, I had one of them in my ignore list. Laguna was pretty much insufferable in these Media Create threads. You couldn't even express yourself (dismay/excitement/whatever) without being verbally shut down by that Debbie Downer in these threads.

This is the first time looking at a Media Create thread in a while and holy crap the 3DS has outsold the PS3 LTD in Japan? That is crazy.

donny2112

I'm going to say that Luigi's Mansion 2 will have Mario-type legs and will go on to sell a million (or very, very close to, at least) copies LTD. That would be great, great, great results for the game and a wonderful result for Next-Level Games. Hope Nintendo continue to have close ties to them and hope they have continued success in that relationship together.

Laguna
Banned

Skyzard
Banned

well now...

Purging fire.

Well we don't have the digital sales figures but fact:- DQ7 outsold Animal Crossing by a huge margin physically in February and Animal Crossing outsold DQ7 digitally by a margin we don't know in February. Therefore I concluded that the Dragon Quest fanbase are more inclined to buy physical over digital and the Animal Crossing fanbase are more likely to buy digital than the DQ fanbase.
We're well past AC launch though, without numbers there's no way to draw comparable trends. AC also sold siginificantly more at retail than digital, it's not a remake, this comparison just doesn't make sense with the conclusions you're trying to draw from it. We don't even have any idea what DQ7's digital vs physical ratio is.

I know this may not be the right topic, but am I the only one who finds the Wii U sales depressing, like the Vita before it? Sure they were both kinda expected/deserved, but it still makes me sad that new systems aren't doing well. Kinda makes me paranoid about the future of dedicated gaming platforms

Vita did not get third party support.
WiiU is not getting third party support.

There not the only reasons why the two platforms are failing but I am sure third party support would result in both consoles having a more fleshed release schedule.

Moral of the story: get that third party support.

Speaking about third parties I am actually surprised that WiiU is getting such poor support in Japan. Japan loves Nintendo. I don't except the big stuff to go to the WiiU like Yakuza, Tales, FF but I would have thought it would get some of the smaller releases.

For instance Konami seems to have released nothing for it, and NB releasing games like Project J versus, OP not on it is kinda weird no?

Also DW8 should of been on it too but was not. I think its going to even harder to get third parties on board now after seeing the sales.

Laguna
Banned

Skyzard
Banned

well now...

tumblr_miac0mNX3R1qijuibo1_500.gif

BriBri

We're well past AC launch though, without numbers there's no way to draw comparable trends. AC also sold siginificantly more at retail than digital, it's not a remake, this comparison just doesn't make sense with the conclusions you're trying to draw from it. We don't even have any idea what DQ7's digital vs physical ratio is.
Anyway. This doesn't matter greatly and I will conclude here with saying simply that Animal Crossing outsold Dragon Quest digitally whilst Dragon Quest outsold Animal Crossing physically (both during February), hence I stand by my conclusion. But to change the subject: it's amazing how great My Deco Rainbow Wedding did. High price tag and opened at over 30,000. I barely noticed it with all the Zelda/Soul Sacrifice/Luigi/One Piece talk!

Yeah. Maybe starting in June their product pipeline will be loaded enough to get out 1-2 1st party games monthly for the rest of the year. Timed with a price drop and some keyed promotion/advertising that could be a pretty good course of action for trying to sustainably reverse Wii U's bleak fortunes.

Then it'll have turned out Game & Wario (for Japan) and Lego City (for the west) were sort of sacrificial lambs for the previous launch window commitment. I have to imagine both those games were finished for awhile now too and likely held back strategically to come in the middle of the first half.

Anyway. This doesn't matter greatly and I will conclude here with saying simply that Animal Crossing outsold Dragon Quest digitally whilst Dragon Quest outsold Animal Crossing physically (both during February), hence I stand by my conclusion.
Well yes, obviously DQ7 sold more at retail during it's launch versus an old (very popular) game, that's traditionally how these things go. The fact that it didn't digitally though doesn't implicitly mean one has an inherent audience propensity to buy digitally over the other, especially when one had targeted promotion pushing the download option while the other is a single player JRPG remake. I don't think DQ7 is really a great barometer for DQXU on any level in this regard anyway.

BriBri

Well yes, obviously DQ7 sold more at retail during it's launch versus an old (very popular) game, that's traditionally how these things go. The fact that it didn't digitally though doesn't implicitly mean one has an inherent audience propensity to buy digitally over the other, especially when one had targeted promotion pushing the download option while the other is a single player JRPG remake. I don't think DQ7 is really a great barometer for DQXU on any level in this regard anyway.
Anyways, I bought both digitally: 150 hours invested into one and completely stuck at the other!

Thorgal

Nah, they're totally spending a lot of time implementing new ideas for Wii Fit U, allowing a truly social fitness experience that doesn't just look like a scaled-up Wii game.

Wait, no, sorry, that's what they *should* do.

Konami doesn't even seem too keen on the 3DS, so them not giving a shit about Wii U is hardly surprising at this point. But yeah, the complete lack of Japanese support is at least a bit surprising.

i know this is very premature and perhaps some wishfull thinking but..

Do you think sony has been busy talking to devs for PS4 over there to see so little japanese 3rd party support for the wii u?

Do you think sony has been busy talking to devs for PS4 over there to see so little japanese 3rd party support for the wii u?

I dont think Sony's talk had anything to do with it. 3rd parties are just betting on the PS4 to do better especially worldwide. I mean looking at the Wiiu why would you be overly concerned with it? What new base are you getting to by aggressively supporting WiiU.

WE8XEcC.jpg

I am sure Konami was going to support the PS4 either way because it seems most if not all of their console gaming business relies on Playstation consoles. Actually looking back, they didn't release many Wii games either, most of them being sport games that did badly. i see Winning Eleven for the Wii so what about WiiU?

guek

Banned
Nah, they're totally spending a lot of time implementing new ideas for Wii Fit U, allowing a truly social fitness experience that doesn't just look like a scaled-up Wii game.

Wait, no, sorry, that's what they *should* do.

Wait, isn't that exactly what was implied at the GDC miiverse talk?

Oh, I see the thread has been Lagunafied again this week.

Not sure if posted.
4yjtJpm.png

so now people can stop calling it gamecube 2.0

wii u is in a league of its own at the very bottom.

Do you have data for all streams ?

I wonder if Vita returned over dreamcast after those 4 weeks.

I'm just using Garaph data, I don't have Dreamcast data, you'll have to ask someone like Chris, but I doubt it.

Aquamarine to the rescue!

Ev8hfZN.png

schuelma

One note on the Game Cube- this might be off, but I'm pretty sure the reason Game Cube looks so good on that graph is it launched earlier and is just now hitting its first holiday spike.

schuelma

Did gamecube take off all of a sudden because of Smash? What happened there?

See my post above- it launched in September so in weeks 13-14 it's hitting it's first holiday. Makes linear comparisons to Wii U and Vita less meaningful IMO.

One note on the Game Cube- this might be off, but I'm pretty sure the reason Game Cube looks so good on that graph is it launched earlier and is just now hitting its first holiday spike.

Please don't confuse neogaf with facts.

We've collectively decided Wii U is already worse than Gamecube and on its way to Virtual Boy levels.

muu

It does raise a couple questions about 'best console release timing.' Start in the holidays and you get an immediate boost because people are looking for gifts; start early in the year (3DS) and you got months to build a base before the holidays to ramp it up. Start during the fall and you got a good start for the launch, and then a holiday spike immediately following.

In the overall scheme of things I don't think it makes numbers any different. Releasing during the holidays does make the numbers look more impressive and potentially add momentum, which is probably why so many systems come out during the holidays. You're right that GC didn't actually suddenly start selling more in its 3rd/4th month, but even if WiiU came out in September instead of December, the results probably wouldn't have been too different from where we're at now.

See my post above- it launched in September so in weeks 13-14 it's hitting it's first holiday. Makes linear comparisons to Wii U and Vita less meaningful IMO.

Yep. That's why (personally) I don't like linear comparisons. But people wanted them before to see if streams were crossing, so yeah.

schuelma

Dont see it crossing streams with the vita anytime soon on a good note....i guess.

Vita sales actually get really bad in April in May of last year (5/6k bad in May) before a Persona bump in June.

I'm going to say that Luigi's Mansion 2 will have Mario-type legs and will go on to sell a million (or very, very close to, at least) copies LTD. That would be great, great, great results for the game and a wonderful result for Next-Level Games. Hope Nintendo continue to have close ties to them and hope they have continued success in that relationship together.

Purging fire.
I'd say you're being fairly optimistic but lets wait and see the next week or two to see what its trajectory is.

Spiegel

Holidays don't guarantee big spikes (see Vita 2012).

Gamecube had the holidays, a very popular game (Smash) and two pretty popular games (Pikmin and AC). Don't take all the credit away from the system.

schuelma

Holidays don't guarantee big spikes (see Vita 2012).

Gamecube had the holidays and a very popular game, so don't take all the credit away from the system.

Yes, it is true that once in a blue moon a company chooses to have not one single notable release in November and December in Japan when trying to establish a system.

Point taken.

Spiegel

Yes, it is true that once in a blue moon a company chooses to have not one single notable release in November and December in Japan when trying to establish a system.

Point taken.

My point was more that the Gamecube does look better because the holidays, but also because there were games released that people wanted. It's not like the WiiU would be in a different position had it been launched in September. Total sales would have probably been the same with a smaller launch and a middling holiday because Nintendo got nothing for the next three months after launch.

synce

Glad to see the Vita doing better, maybe soon we can start getting stuff on it that isn't ported from PS3

guek

Banned
It was ? I haven't been following that one. You don't happen to have a link for me, please ?

Thanks in advance. And there I thought Nintendo was just going to crap out a Wii Fit sequel with a bit of Miiverse integration.

Just basing it off of summaries I've read.

- Miiverse will be updated in a future version of the Wii U Software Development Kit
- will include features to improve interactions within games
- future games will have more Miiverse functions
- this includes the ability to send and receive comments, follow users from within a game, viewing follower lists, and view lists of people who Yeah'd their posts
- Miiverse posts will gain the ability to launch games at a specific point from a link in Miiverse
- example: posts from within levels in New Super Mario Bros. U are tagged with the in-game locations
- this would allow you to launch a level directly from a corresponding Miiverse comment
- Miiverse can be coupled with an online datastore, which could perform even more advanced functions
- user communities allow users to join via community code
- these communities will only be available to those that own a game and have a code
- this feature can be used to organize and hold tournaments
- Wii Fit U will be the first title to incorporate the feature
- players will be able to share training records and activity logs
- while not confirmed for development, Nintendo sees the potential to link stage editors to Miiverse
- the idea would allow you to create and direct an entire game from Miiverse

edit: and for clarification, I don't think this guarantees what you said is wrong, just that it seems they're looking into making wii fit a more socially integrated experience via miiverse. We haven't seen much yet though.

Glad to see the Vita doing better, maybe soon we can start getting stuff on it that isn't ported from PS3

Once again if these sales are what convinces people you wont see a non port till next year. Games dont magically come out of nowhere. What we get in the near future will be the result of last years sales so...

schuelma

My point was more that the Gamecube does look better because the holidays, but also because there were games released that people wanted. It's not like the WiiU would be in a different position had it been launched in September. Total sales would have probably been the same with a smaller launch and a middling holiday because Nintendo got nothing for the next three months after launch.

No, but simply looking at the graph and saying "wow, Wii U is now falling way behind the GameCube" seems a bit disingenuous.

Top Bottom