• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oh yeah, DQX. So that will sell about 50k then? :D

That's my guess, and I *suspect* the hardware bundle is going to be at least 15k which will provide the Wii U hardware bump.

Fun fact, pretty much every Nintendo franchise on 3DS is performing better than they did on DS in the west. Only exceptions being Brain-Age, Nintendogs and NSMB.

Citing Mario Kart 7 as an example of a game "not sustaining" 3DS seems odd when it's nearly doubling the sales of it's DS predecessor in the US launch aligned. 3DS is definitely behind DS, but it's not due to the core oriented Nintendo brands. Those are actually doing even better now.

And yet the 3DS hardware is still under-performing by a lot.

test_account

XP-39C²
@test-account
For a simple reason. I didn´t want to. It´s not like my spot on prediction for the week Soul Sacrifice released for both PSV hardware and Soul Sacrifice software numbers was any hindrance for similar personal attacks from users like SmokeyDave,

Also I´m positive that this doesn´t in any way lessen the the actual factuality of my argumentation.
Ok, fair enough. Although i think that people would have viewed your arguement differently if you had said in last week's Media Create thread that there was a very little chance that the Vita hardware sales would drop this week. Then it would at least have been seen more as a prediction that turned out to be correct :)

About arguement factuality, wasnt a big part of the arguement based on if people were surprised or not? Not everyone thought the Vita hardware sales would increase this week. That is more of a subjective thing (what people believed was the most likely thing to happen). But i havnt followed to the last parts of the discussion that much, so i cant say for sure what the whole discussion has been about.

schuelma

I think DQX might have a higher proportion of digital sales than usual pulling it down though. It's hard to gauge, but it being a MMORPG might trump the usual Japanese imperative to want a disc and box.

Also I believe SE is offering the game half off to Wii owners, but it's a digital thing so those purchases would not be counted.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think DQX might have a higher proportion of digital sales than usual pulling it down though. It's hard to gauge, but it being a MMORPG might trump the usual Japanese imperative to want a disc and box.
You also get DQX WiiU (digital download) for half price if you already own the Wii version. Are there any intesives to buy the retail version? Collection purposes and not having to download the game are two things, but anything else?

Isn't there a half price download option for people that own the Wii version

Edit - damn you test account :D

And yet the 3DS hardware is still under-performing by a lot.
Because the non-games market imploded (Nintendogs, Brain-Age, etc). Core games are pulling more of the weight now, and while they can't push the hardware sales to the same lofty heights as the previous combined market, they're also generally doing better than they did on DS at the same time. Mario Kart is actually making more of an impact and doing better than ever now basically, even if it can't cover for Brain-Age falling off completely.

I also wouldn't characterize Nintendo lowering forescasts by a couple million "a lot" when we're talking a platform that's still doing at least 15m+ annually and still outselling every console on the market (and likely those still to come) worldwide. I mean, it's not like Sony's handheld projections, which basically had to be halved as the year went on.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also I believe SE is offering the game half off to Wii owners, but it's a digital thing so those purchases would not be counted.
Yep, half price on the digital download version for those who own the Wii version, indeed =)

Isn't there a half price download option for people that own the Wii version

Edit - damn you test account :D
Hehe :) Yeah, you get half price on the digital download version if you already own the Wii version. It is a good intensive to get people to upgrade i think.

I know we shouldnt dance but that was seriously ruining the thread. Anyway with Game and Wario and DQX probaby not giving much of a boost, all eyes turn to Wii Fit U, and I still cant believe there is nothing for wiiu at golden week, or the fact that they still havent announced the date.

I know we shouldnt dance but that was seriously ruining the thread. Anyway with Game and Wario and DQX probaby not giving much of a boost, all eyes turn to Wii Fit U

That's a good one in the chamber, imo. It doesn't seem like it'd be all front loaded and could have nice sales legs

schuelma

I know we shouldnt dance but that was seriously ruining the thread. Anyway with Game and Wario and DQX probaby not giving much of a boost, all eyes turn to Wii Fit U, and I still cant believe there is nothing for wiiu at golden week

Why? It has no release date. We can speculate it is coming soon, but I've thought it was coming soon for months.

Nintendo does have the NFC Pokemon game for golden week, but it's download only so I can't see it having a real impact.

Yeah, we might not have a great handle on DQXU sales until SE gives out the total figures. I wonder if we could even have our first case of a Japanese game selling more digitally than at retail?

I know we shouldnt dance but that was seriously ruining the thread. Anyway with Game and Wario and DQX probaby not giving much of a boost, all eyes turn to Wii Fit U, and I still cant believe there is nothing for wiiu at golden week
If you're expecting more than a minor bump from Wii Fit U, I think you'll be dissapointed.

Actually looking at Wiiu's lineup i cant even buy the idea they were pushed because nintendo doesnt know hd development. Nintendo pushed these games because otherwise the lineup through the summer would be horrendous.

If you're expecting more than a minor bump from Wii Fit U, I think you'll be dissapointed.

Possibly but its the only game Nintendo has in the near future that could provide a sustained bump, no matter how the market looks. E3 is certainly going to be interesting

BriBri

Yeah, we might not have a great handle on DQXU sales until SE gives out the total figures. I wonder if we could even have our first case of a Japanese game selling more digitally than at retail?
Whilst I'm not disputing the financial incentives for Wii DQX owners have in purchasing a half-price Wii U DQX, I do think the DQ audience are more inclined to buy physical than say the Animal Crossing audience.

I know we shouldnt dance but that was seriously ruining the thread. Anyway with Game and Wario and DQX probaby not giving much of a boost, all eyes turn to Wii Fit U, and I still cant believe there is nothing for wiiu at golden week, or the fact that they still havent announced the date.

Wii Fit U isn't going to be a significant factor, Nintendo have not shown anything it does over and above the stock Wii Fit experience on Wii. I don't see many people buying a Wii U to have a HD fitness game that is basically the same as what they already own.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Actually looking at Wiiu's lineup i cant even buy the idea they were pushed because nintendo doesnt know hd development. Nintendo pushed these games because otherwise the lineup through the summer would be horrendous.

Possibly but its the only game Nintendo has in the near future that could provide a sustained bump, no matter how the market looks. E3 is certainly going to be interesting
A title like that is one of the more unlikely to provide a sustained bump, imo. That fad has seen better days. Something less obvious is more likely to spark a bit of renewed interest in Wii U - maybe even G&W.

Whilst I'm not disputing the financial incentives for Wii DQX owners have in purchasing a half-price Wii U DQX, I do think the DQ audience are more inclined to buy physical than say the Animal Crossing audience.
I think it's pretty clear extreme shortages drove a lot of AC's digital sales. And really, I think there's probably a ton of audience overlap between DQ and AC at this point, I don't really see one as "more likely" to download than the other. It more comes down to the circumstances of release (retail availability, comparable pricepoints, nature of the games themselves) but even there I think DQX is sort of favored over ACNL.

BriBri

Wii Fit U isn't going to be a significant factor, Nintendo have not shown anything it does over and above the stock Wii Fit experience on Wii. I don't see many people buying a Wii U to have a HD fitness game that is basically the same as what they already own.
With the relatively low development costs (when compared with new Zelda, 3D Mario etc) and the success of the original, Nintendo would be foolish not to release a U upgrade. I also doubt they are foolish to believe it'll generate a weighty percentage of the original.

True, but even if the game experiences a huge decline, even a 300-400k seller would be big right now with how bad wiiu is doing. Unless we are expecting complete bomba

But they retrofitted all those Pokéwalkers! :p

Sage00

Once And Future Member
True, but even if the game experiences a huge decline, even a 300-400k seller would be big right now.
Reaching that number would be a really big ask on this platform. It might only get there with heavy marketing. First week 80-120k, I'd say.

Reaching that number would be a really big ask on this platform. It might only get there with heavy marketing. First week 80-120k, I'd say.

Well that's still sadly bigger than anything for months. At this point Pikmin 3 is probably late june early july

BriBri

I think it's pretty clear extreme shortages drove a lot of AC's digital sales. And really, I think there's probably a ton of audience overlap between DQ and AC at this point, I don't really see one as "more likely" to download than the other. It more comes down to the circumstances of release (retail availability, comparable pricepoints, nature of the games themselves) but even there I think DQX is sort of favored over ACNL.
The fact New Leaf outsold DQ7 digitally even when I believe New Leaf then didn't have retail shortages (February) I think speaks volumes.

So they thought it better to not release anything for the system for 4 months? If that was the case they couldve better spread out G&W, pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, The Wonderful 101 and wii u party (summer release confirmed).

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So they thought it better to not release anything for the system for 4 months? If that was the case they couldve better spread out G&W, pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, The Wonderful 101 and wii u party (summer release confirmed).
If Sony have done one thing right with PS Vita Y2 vs PS3 Y2 it's having games bundled together in a cluster to create a sustained bump to keep momentum rolling. PS3's 1 week bumps (legendary Gundabump) did absolutely nothing for the platform - not something Nintendo would want to repeat.

03/28 Japan Game & Wario
03/30 Japan Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku
04/24 Japan Pokemon Scramble U
05/23 Japan BioHazard: Revelations - Unveiled Edition
06/06 Japan Injustice: Kamigami no Gekitotsu

Wiiu in japan. Pretty sure this is the smallest list for an active platform ive seen on the gfaqs pages

Does Pikmin 3 have a release date yet? No it does not. Such incompetence.

schuelma

If Sony have done one thing right with PS Vita Y2 vs PS3 Y2 it's having games bundled together in a cluster to create a sustained bump to keep momentum rolling. PS3's 1 week bumps (legendary Gundabump) did absolutely nothing for the platform - not something Nintendo would want to repeat.

That's why frankly I don't quite understand why Nintendo even released Game & Wario when it did- at the end of March, alongside DQX with no follow up software coming out for months. Makes no sense to me.

redcrayon

Please explain what next weeks sales have to do with this weeks data, releases and circumstances I was arguing about? I don´t see any logical connection.

They don't have anything to do with what you were saying at all, not every post has to be directly related to what you want to talk about, or part of a back-and-forth insults match spamming up the thread.

Predictions are a legitimate topic for this thread, and I just wondered what you thought would happen next week, seeing as we've spent 15 pages already discussing what you thought about this week. I put more weight behind the opinions of people willing to set their predictions down for posterity! :)

The fact New Leaf outsold DQ7 digitally even when I believe New Leaf then didn't have retail shortages (February) I think speaks volumes.
Are you talking absolute figures? ACNL likely did the vast bulk of it's digital sales (~700k) in 2012. DQVII wasn't ever supply constrained afaik, SE learned their lesson with DQM3D and Bravely Default.

Besides, I don't think there's really enough known data to make the sort of certain claim you are on it.

BriBri

Are you talking absolute figures? ACNL likely did the vast bulk of it's digital sales (~700k) in 2012. DQVII wasn't ever supply constrained afaik, SE learned their lesson with DQM3D and Bravely Default.

Besides, I don't think there's really enough known data to make the sort of certain claim you are on it.
I'm talking about the eShop charts for February (not the all-time charts). Flawed as they maybe but Animal Crossing was #1 throughout.

Edit: yet physically, DQ7 got to #1 in Media Create. Therefore I came to the conclusion that Animal Crossing fans are more inclined to purchase digitally than the traditional Dragon Quest fanbase.

Scum

Wii Fit U will do bugger all for the system. I'm expecting around 50k - 60k and a 5k - 10k increase, if NCL is lucky.

It's going to be something come next month. A Nintendo Direct will be glorious.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Are you trying to point out that SSBM had a higher attach rate than SA in response to someone that compared SSBM & GTA? If so, that's probably the best way to go about it. Your conclusion is a bit whacky though.

No, but I still think that the logic used is not sound - and that what I posted would still be a bad way to say anything about the value of GCN / PS2 owners. It would be an indicator that SSBM could have achieved more if it released on a platform with a higher userbase, but that wasn't the point in the SS comparison.

Laguna pointed out, that a mid-class game (not speaking about quality here, Luigis Mansion 2 is my GotY so far, but it's a second title in a spin-off series that didn't have a new game in over ten years) on one system sold three times as much in its first week as a supposed top-class game (although admittedly in a new series, it got an enormous marketing push and tried to line in with the most successful series as of late, it was supposed to be the "saviour" of the Vita and as a Vita-owner I have to say I sadly have serious doubts it can act as one).

The guy answered to that by pointing out that the attach rate of the one game was higher than that of the other one - which is a horrible argument when platforms are so far appart in performance, which I wanted to point out by my analogy to the GameCube - even using the best selling games of each systems, which is a comparison less favourable to the GameCube than the one applied here is to the Vita.

I think this might be on the right track. With the delays already out there, maybe it was deemed preferable to keep floundering now and try to concentrate things to summer when they'll be better able to keep releases steadily flowing into the fall/holidays. Basically hold back like Sony did with Vita last holiday.

That's why frankly I don't quite understand why Nintendo even released Game & Wario when it did- at the end of March, alongside DQX with no follow up software coming out for months. Makes no sense to me.
I was gonna say. DQX/G+W seems almost identical to Gundabump.

schuelma

I think this might be on the right track. With the delays already out there, maybe it was deemed preferable to keep floundering now and try to concentrate things to summer when they'll be better able to keep releases steadily flowing into the fall/holidays. Basically hold back like Sony did with Vita

Yeah I can see that. I cannot imagine Wii Fit U isn't ready by now. Also, Iwata's comments at I believe the last Direct (or was it the financial briefing?) made it seem like the second half of the year is when a steady stream of software will arrive.

Top Bottom