• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

Fair play to the Vita, it has performed far better than most expected so far. Really pleased to see a rise this week.

I think this is fair. It's certainly surpassed my expectations over the past month or so, although Soul Sacrifice didn't necessarily do as much as I'd thought.

You know people, kids don't get money gifts for every damn day off in Japan! Vita rose cause it had software releases. Next week will be telling of where it's going without them for a while, but there's no way it's going back to 10k.

The price is still dropped,and the library much improved over the last month. The resulting general perception will be much better overall than a month ago for prospective buyers.
Damn, that explains why I never got any money in Persona 4 during holidays! I have been deceived.

big youth

He is jumping the gun. I was also referring to his previous statements in previous threads. Said some funny stuff.

Also, how is Sony putting little effort there? They just had a price-cut along with a bunch of releases. This is pretty much Sony's re-launch of the Vita. But the bigger question is...how is Nintendo even putting ANY effort towards the Wii U? 3DS is where their efforts are going.

they're also going to do a quasi relaunch. big games + advertising + bundles. Iwata has said as much, minus the bundle part, which is my assumption.

in NA they just missed their first chance with LEGO, along with NFS and MH3HD in the same week...but that's NoA. typical NoA

So you don't think Wii U would have benefited from having LM2 on it as well?

Why make the game exclusive to 3DS?

Because exclusives sell handhelds, and Nintendo first party exclusives sell a shit ton? The cross-play fiasco that Sony is going through hasn't proved to be successful enough to make it a "smart business model."

Nintendo has got to be disappointed with 3DS hardware sales, given that a game as big as Luigi's Mansion came out and they're almost 20k below what they did last year.

Software sales for Luigi are very impressive. No doubt about it, though, Nintendo was probably hoping for a much bigger spike in hardware sales. I was expecting 3DS to be knocking around 100k or more this week, given the comparison to the same holiday period from last year.

Competition from PS3 software and a reinvigorated PS Vita this time around have made things much harder. Last year Nintendo basically had the entire market to itself.

He didn't say it wasn't good for this week.
He is saying:
1 week good sales =/= a healthy system.

My bad then, misread it a bit. Sorry. I thought he was saying it for that particular week. Then yes certainly one week is not indicative of anything, but the Vita has had a good month and that has to count for something. Just wish April had more releases for the Vita though.

So you don't think Wii U would have benefited from having LM2 on it as well? Why make the game exclusive to 3DS?

Because there is no benefit in selling the exact same game on two systems.
Instead you'd just have one system.

Nintendo has got to be disappointed with 3DS hardware sales, given that a game as big as Luigi's Mansion came out and they're almost 20k below what they did last year.

Software sales for Luigi are very impressive, especially with the game being released on the last day of the tracking period. No doubt about it, though, that Nintendo was probably hoping for a much bigger spike in hardware sales.

Competition from PS3 and PS Vita this time around have made things much harder. Last year Nintendo basically had the entire market to itself.

We're talking Nintendo's mascot whose already been in a number of Mario games.
Who is sitting saying "Am not buying till Luigi"?

YTD is still up this year though.

Software sales for Luigi are very impressive, especially with the game being released on the last day of the tracking period. No doubt about it, though, that Nintendo was probably hoping for a much bigger spike in hardware sales.

No, it released on Wednesday last week the 20th, not the 24th. It had 5 days of sale.

Celestial

Banned

Nintendo should have made it a WiiU from the start in order to help the system move some units.Seems like Nintendo has a big problem making actually HD games.No wonder they are 1 generation behind....

BriBri

23./19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 8.833 / 1.986.358 (+37%)

29./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 5.051 / 1.995.299 (+20%)

The race is so damn close.
Obviously I don't have the figures so it's just hypothetical but I imagine digital NSMB2 to be significantly higher (they are higher but to what extent I don't know).

DaBoss

My bad then, misread it a bit. Sorry. I thought he was saying it for that particular week. Then yes certainly one week is not indicative of anything, but the Vita has had a good month and that has to count for something. Just wish April had more releases for the Vita though.

Bah, I meant she lol.

Yea, if April had some good releases, we would see higher than expected sales.

wrowa

The main difference between Wii U and Vita is that Sony can count on the neverending support of niche publishers. They did a great job fostering their relationships to Gust, Falcom and the likes during the last generations while they also position their consoles as the first choice for "otakus" and anime fans. It might be a questionable part of the market, but it's a segment that gladly spends a lot of money.

Nintendo on the other hand is pretty much on their own. They've been terrible at maintaining relationships since the N64 days and with a few exceptions like Capcom, Level 5 or Atlus most publishers seem to rather avoid them if possible.

So far, no one is supporting the Wii U in Japan except Nintendo themselves. And even the 3DS doesn't have as many games announced as one would expect when looking at its market share.

05./00. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥7.140) - 60.315 / NEW
10./00. [PSV] Atelier Meruru Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 3 # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.03.20} (¥6.090) - 25.095 / NEW
17./00. [PSV] Dead or Alive 5+ # <FTG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.03.20} (¥6.090) - 13.291 / NEW

I was expecting much worse for Meruru and Doa after tsutaya rankings ,also One Piece very nice altrough maybe not that suprising - in Japan with the amount of time they spent in commute handheld version should be preferable

Because it was undergoing major development when the 3DS was struggling, and there's great value in platform exclusives like this?

You may as well ask why X isn't getting a 3DS release.
Please explain why Smash is on both Wii U and 3DS
The very first thing we learned about these titles is that they'd have different focuses for each console.

Is NSMBU a NSMB2 port?

He didn't say it wasn't good for this week.
He is saying:
1 week good sales =/= a healthy system.

True, but I'm counting 4 weeks good sales. What's the tipping point?
I think the Vita has a bit of momentum behind it now, and a decent back catalogue. I could see it staying above PS3 from now on.

serplux

Obviously I don't have the figures so it's just hypothetical but I imagine digital NSMB2 to be significantly higher (they are higher but to what extent I don't know).

Oh yeah, with digital sales they're probably both a good bit above 2 million. It's just fun to watch them go though. :p

duckroll

Dat American ex-pat community.

I know it's a joke, but, wouldn't actual ex-pats just get the US versions either from friends/family sending them over, or import stores in Japan? Why would they get the Japanese version with Japanese text and interface, and often censorship as well? Especially for those two franchises!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Since we're here, do we have complete upcoming lineups for all consoles?

i like the VITA numbers. i cant wait for OP2 here so i can buy it.

i still think that VITA spike is temp thing because of OP2 and the past games. i think it needs a lil more to keep up the high sales. but still. good month for Vita

and glad to see the WII U above 10k,,,,, the console makes me sad panda man :/

big youth

Because there is no benefit in selling the exact same game on two systems.
Instead you'd just have one system.

We're talking Nintendo's mascot whose already been in a number of Mario games.
Who is sitting saying "Am not buying till Luigi"?

it's actually an interesting idea given the desperate situation Wii U is in. still, I say Nintendo would be better off with HD remakes of GC/Wii games to fill in these gaps. At least one of these should have been ready to go and released in Jan or Feb. also Nintendo should have (and still could) get Bayonetta on the system to fill a gap and prime people for the sequel.

watershed

Banned
Seems like a lot of sales thread regulars overestimated LM2's sales but its still a really good number. Vita is doing alright too.

DaBoss

True, but I'm counting 4 weeks good sales. What's the tipping point?
I think the Vita has a bit of momentum behind it now, and a decent back catalogue. I could see it staying above PS3 from now on.

I'm also counting 3 weeks of those 4 that had releases. It would be best to see the sales without any releases for probably 2-3 weeks. That would be the tipping point IMO.

Celestial

Banned
So far, no one is supporting the Wii U in Japan except Nintendo themselves. And even the 3DS doesn't have as many games announced as one would expect when looking at its market share.

No one is supporting WiiU worldwide not only in Japan.The only games it is seeing is late ports and it doesnt seem this will change.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The main difference between Wii U and Vita is that Sony can count on the neverending support of niche publishers. They did a great job fostering their relationships to Gust, Falcom and the likes during the last generations while they also position their consoles as the first choice for "otakus" and anime fans. It might be a questionable part of the market, but it's a segment that gladly spends a lot of money.

Nintendo on the other hand is pretty much on their own. They've been terrible at maintaining relationships since the N64 days and with a few exceptions like Capcom, Level 5 or Atlus most publishers seem to rather avoid them if possible.

Nintendo is supporting the Wii U? Could've fooled me. What games have they released? What is dated?

The reality is Nintendo at their best can sustain a platform purely on their own. Even when they try to court third parties it never seems to work out (except in the case where they create such a massive userbase that they're forced to - see 3/DS). But they've severely dropped the ball this time.

I know it's a joke, but, wouldn't actual ex-pats just get the US versions either from friends/family sending them over, or import stores in Japan? Why would they get the Japanese version with Japanese text and interface, and often censorship as well? Especially for those two franchises!
Not that this would really affect launch sales, but the bomba bin these games almost immediately end up in is about a billion times cheaper than any import store and they're all dual audio anyway.

daveo42

Banned
I was expecting much worse for Meruru and Doa after tsutaya rankings ,also One Piece very nice altrough maybe not that suprising - in Japan with the amount of time they spent in commute handheld version should be preferable

That and Japan really likes One Piece based solely on how well each manga volume sells. Having games based on anime/manga can help move systems.

Pretty much this yes.

serplux

Nintendo is supporting the Wii U? Could've fooled me. What games have they released? What is dated?

The reality is Nintendo at their best can sustain a platform purely on their own. Even when they try to court third parties it never seems to work out (except in the case where they create such a massive userbase that they're forced to - see 3/DS). But they've severely dropped the ball this time.

They delayed everything they had planned for Q1, blah blah, yuck. Finally next week we get some games on it so people can be a little quiet. :p

OP game sold less than i thought it would on PS3 but not bad numbers for Vita .
Disgaea D2 did not even know that it was coming out this week and sold less than i would have guess .

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Good OPV and Vita HW sales, but Soul Sacrifice seems to be dropping steadily. Muramasa is coming out this week but April is looking pretty bleak, Sony should've convinced Sega to put 7th Dragon 2020 II and Bandai-Namco to put Summon Night 5 on Vita exclusively.

Because it was undergoing major development when the 3DS was struggling, and there's great value in platform exclusives like this?

You may as well ask why X isn't getting a 3DS release.

The very first thing we learned about these titles is that they'd have different focuses for each console.

Is NSMBU a NSMB2 port?

That's Nintendo's problem. Different focuses lead to lack of focus, poor marketing and a confused consumer base.

Nintendo needs to work on unifying their architecture, hardware, and game development.

They need to have a platform like iOS or android. It makes sense to consumers and it's actually what they want.

Until they do that, they'll continue to struggle. And yes, X should be on 3DS as well. The fact that it can't is the problem!

hiska-kun

What Holiday this week? Can you explain?

Last Friday 22nd school ended, and this week is haruyasumi (spring holidays). School starts again in april. Just look last year MC and you can apreciate a boost for March last week and a drop for April first week when school begins.

I am more confident that when the next Vita drought soon hits it will still be able to pull much better weekly numbers (15+k) than what it did before. While certainly not great numbers it should provide additional boost to new Vita projects especially PS3+PSV since they seem to be doing quite well and more niche titles too.

I don't think Vita is going away in a long time. Now to see if Sonys ''indie push'' does anything in the west but it needs a pricecut over here asap.

There won't be such a big drought before end of June. Sure releases for that period are smaller than for march but situation where you could go to shop and notice nothing new released for Vita in last month is not going to repeat itself.

Top Bottom