• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Jonnyram

Aeana's first language is Japanese?
You are being rather stubborn about this, aren't you? I'm not a native Japanese speaker, but I know that DQX has not met Square Enix's expectations. It has been quite well reported. Though the official statements did not mention DQX specifically, there was absolutely no way they were talking about FFXIV at this point and since they don't have any other mainstream MMOs out right now, it's a matter of simple deduction to determine that they are talking about DQX.

DaBoss

Does anybody thinks the underperformance of the Wii U can cause the MH franchise to revisit the playstation ecosystem?

If Nintendo's ecosystem goes down, which means the 3DS basically, then there would be a possibility, but the Wii U underperforming will not affect that.

I don't think using nebulous digital sales is wise for either mitigating the Bomba Quest or trying to inflate Muramasa Vita's sales...

Not sure if posted. Calendar week aligned for the years 2002 and 2013 from Garaph numbers:
yP2tWF9.png

Weekly
wa80Vls.png

Cumulative

I skipped week of 12-31 since I'm not sure if there's an error in Garaph's numbers? The number of units sold for the GCN is identical to the previous week?

Road

You are being rather stubborn about this, aren't you? I'm not a native Japanese speaker, but I know that DQX has not met Square Enix's expectations. It has been quite well reported. Though the official statements did not mention DQX specifically, there was absolutely no way they were talking about FFXIV at this point and since they don't have any other mainstream MMOs out right now, it's a matter of simple deduction to determine that they are talking about DQX.

I think this part, right?

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/jpn/ir/library/docs/130326/page05.html
やるべきことはやってきたつもりですが、私の力が及ばず、このような結果になっていると思います。アミューズメント事業でマイナスが出て、欧米のコンソールゲームでマイナスが出て、ソーシャルゲーム等は良かったものの、MMOも期待したほど寄与していないという状況です。

"MMO business didn't contribute as expected". (please, correct me if my translation is wrong)

They could always be expecting FFXI Seekers of Adoulin to sell 3 million units. I mean, it's Square Enix...

Khrno

"MMO business didn't contribute as expected". (please, correct me if my translation is wrong)

They could always be expecting FFXI Seekers of Adoulin to sell 3 million units. I mean, it's Square Enix...

I know you are joking, but even if realistically they were expecting the expansion to bring back hundreds of thousands of old/new players, SoA wasn't released until March 26/27, the report you link is dated from the 26th, so the blame can't be placed on it :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Well... Seekes of Adoulin came out around March I believe. The report about "MMO business not contributing as expected" was posted around February. :p
but I guess you're joking

Plus all the info is here, I guess: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512664

L Thammy

Finally took a good look at the numbers. Wasn't there a rental program for Dragon Quest X in Japan? How do subscription fees work for people who are renting it? What about those who are just buying it now for Wii U?

Code:

jeremy1456

I think it's hilarious that people think the MH franchise will not come out on the PS platform, regardless of Wii U's position.

I think the position of the 3DS has much more to do with it.

It's ridiculous to think that the console market is a big part of MH anymore.

duckroll

Those numbers look pretty incomplete to me. Especially those where the LTD is the same as the first week sales. :p

Edit: For example here are some massive differences when compared to the latest Media Create numbers we have.

Lord of Apocalypse
PSP - 59,231
Vita - 78,763

God Eater Burst (The Best)

EX Troopers
3DS - 40,152
PS3 - 15,991

jeremy1456

It sold a million on Wii. It's far from a lost cause.

1/4th of what the last new entry in the franchise did on the PSP, and almost half of what an enhanced port did on the 3DS with a much smaller install base.

There's a reason MH4 was announced on a handheld system. I think consoles will only get cross play ports, and I can't see Nintendo allowing Capcom to allow MH4 to be cross compatible with a Sony platform.

donny2112

I don't think using nebulous digital sales is wise for either mitigating the Bomba Quest or trying to inflate Muramasa Vita's sales...

Definitely. Unless we get actual numbers, we can talk about them in the abstract (in the sense that they're there) but with no specificity.

I skipped week of 12-31 since I'm not sure if there's an error in Garaph's numbers? The number of units sold for the GCN is identical to the previous week?

That would've been where Famitsu posted a combined week hardware number. JoshuaJSlone splits the combined week in half in those cases. That'd be why the numbers were identical for two straight weeks.

does Wii U DQX have an eShop version?

Yes, and Wii DQX owners could get the eShop version for half price from Square-Enix's online store, but unless we get numbers from someone about that, can't really assume anything about it.

L Thammy

Those numbers look pretty incomplete to me. Especially those where the LTD is the same as the first week sales. :p

Edit: For example here are some massive differences when compared to the latest Media Create numbers we have.

Lord of Apocalypse
PSP - 59,231
Vita - 78,763

God Eater Burst (The Best)

EX Troopers
3DS - 40,152
PS3 - 15,991

Hm, I didn't know. Is there a convenient place to find that or do I just have to dig through old threads?

Jonnyram

1/4th of what the last new entry in the franchise did on the PSP, and almost half of what an enhanced port did on the 3DS with a much smaller install base.
Yes, but it was also on the Wii, which was not exactly the platform of choice for hardcore gamers. Or are we ignoring that now? Still as a simple case of ROI, it was clearly a better choice than PS3, at the time.

There's a reason MH4 was announced on a handheld system. I think consoles will only get cross play ports, and I can't see Nintendo allowing Capcom to allow MH4 to be cross compatible with a Sony platform.
I have no argument with any of this. Handhelds are the lead platform for MH now, and any MH that comes out on consoles will more than likely be cross-play with its handheld counterpart. The 400k sales of MHP3rd HD on PS3 and the 200k sales of MH3G HD on Wii U both support that theory, and both cases had good return for assumedly very little investment.

L Thammy

http://translate.google.com/transla...=http://geimin.net/da/db/2012_ne_mc/index.php

Google's wonky with their translations, so you'll occasionally get such gems like "Tales of export Syria".

Thanks! I'll update.

Yes, but it was also on the Wii, which was not exactly the platform of choice for hardcore gamers. Or are we ignoring that now? Still as a simple case of ROI, it was clearly a better choice than PS3, at the time.

Honest question: is Monster Hunter a hardcore game or a casual game?

Dalthien

Grinding for 100s of hours? Seems pretty hardcore to me.

So is sinking 100s of hours into stuff like the Sims, or into replaying levels over and over again in time-management games like Diner Dash to get the Expert rankings (something my wife is guilty of - and I don't even want to know how many hours she has sunk into stuff like Puzzle Quest). Grinding tons of hours has little to do with how "core" or "casual" a game is. The definitions can get really muddled if we base it on time-investment.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So is sinking 100s of hours into stuff like the Sims, or into replaying levels over and over again in time-management games like Diner Dash to get the Expert rankings (something my wife is guilty of - and I don't even want to know how many hours she has sunk into stuff like Puzzle Quest). Grinding tons of hours has little to do with how "core" or "casual" a game is. The definitions can get really muddled if we base it on time-investment.
In fact, hardcore gamers are notorious for burning through games quickly and never touching them again. Games people sink more time into, especially in shorts bursts on, say, a handheld, are the very definition of casual.

L Thammy

Grinding for 100s of hours? Seems pretty hardcore to me.

Edit:
It's a mainstream game in Japan, though, so if you meant casual as in mainstream, it is.

I meant that as a response to Johnnyram's "it was also on the Wii, which was not exactly the platform of choice for hardcore gamers". Does that affect Monster Hunter? What about Dragon Quest?

donny2112

So is sinking 100s of hours

Grinding 100s of hours. Be like staying in one area of Dragon Quest for hours to keep getting metal slimes. Grinding is different than just playing for that same time frame. From my understanding of Monster Hunter, you'd have to kill some creatures multiple times to get the ingredients for more weapons, etc. Sort of like Harvest Moon, in that regard, which is another game that people can spend 100s of hours grinding in.

Dalthien

Grinding 100s of hours. Be like staying in one area of Dragon Quest for hours to keep getting metal slimes. Grinding is different than just playing for that same time frame. From my understanding of Monster Hunter, you'd have to kill some creatures multiple times to get the ingredients for more weapons, etc. Sort of like Harvest Moon, in that regard, which is another game that people can spend 100s of hours grinding in.

I'm not sure I see the distinction. My wife grinds Puzzle Quest for hours and hours, walking around the world map fighting the same creatures over and over again so she can gain levels and new spells - and that's a Match-3 game, quite possibly one of the most "casual" genres of games out there. Grinding, leveling, getting the highest rankings, collecting a million doodads - it's all just sinking time into a game and repeating the same actions over and over again.

People who keep thinking DQ X flopped because it was a MMO. Do we have any numbers for PS2 Hardware Sales along with Dragon Quest VIII Launch Sales on PS2?

Did the PS2 get a significant hardware bump with Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 and what were the LTD sales?

Stubborn about what? The questionable source or the incorrect correction?

I'm not precluding DQX missing internal targets, I even floated that as likely after the Eidos targets. And if it has I'm sure we'll hear about it soon.

EDarkness

Not sure why people expected the Wii U version of DQX to do well on the Wii U? What's the incentive for people who have the Wii version to upgrade? I know people who have the Wii version of the game and a Wii U, but don't see the point of upgrading. Unless people are thinking that off-TV play is the major feature for people? It's a Wii game with no real additions for the Wii U. Unless they offer some incentive for people to switch over, there really isn't any point.

Only have to look at farmville to know people have no problem sinking lots of time into a game just to grind.

zroid

Banned
Not sure why people expected the Wii U version of DQX to do well on the Wii U? What's the incentive for people who have the Wii version to upgrade? I know people who have the Wii version of the game and a Wii U, but don't see the point of upgrading. Unless people are thinking that off-TV play is the major feature for people? It's a Wii game with no real additions for the Wii U. Unless they offer some incentive for people to switch over, there really isn't any point.

I'm sure given the 50% off promo, there's enough incentive in having a version which runs better/looks better/has more features/etc. for people who own a Wii U to upgrade. Probably not enough for people to buy a Wii U just to upgrade, except maybe the really hardcore minority.

donny2112

I'm not sure I see the distinction. My wife grinds Puzzle Quest for hours and hours, walking around the world map fighting the same creatures over and over again so she can gain levels and new spells - and that's a Match-3 game, quite possibly one of the most "casual" genres of games out there. Grinding, leveling, getting the highest rankings, collecting a million doodads - it's all just sinking time into a game and repeating the same actions over and over again.

Then she's playing the game hardcore. Not the usual way of playing, but she's being hardcore with the game. Monster Hunter is just more geared toward the norm being to play it hardcore. As has been discussed elsewhere, how you play the game is way more important than the game itself in determining whether you're hardcore. I'd just say that a game like Monster Hunter that leads to most players playing hardcore would be more easily tagged as hardcore, then.

It's about the playstyle the game pushes you toward than just the game itself. As mentioned, Harvest Moon would be a great example of a game that lends itself to playing hardcore, as well.

Monster Hunter and Harvest Moon, sitting in a tree ...
:)

Only have to look at farmville to know people have no problem sinking lots of time into a game just to grind.

Then they're playing it hardcore. :)

We haven't had a proper microgame compilation since, what, 2006?

The series is already dead. This effort doesn't even have the Wario Ware/ Made in Wario branding, and its style of play is entirely different.

Out of the 3 titles Nintendo have put out for the Wii U so far, two are minigame compilations. If it takes this one bombing to show them that's a terrible idea, then so be it.

There's also that new fangled NOA production team that's been financing + planning western IPs like SiNG Party and Lego City Undercover, but apparently that doesn't "count" as Nintendo. :p

Sandfox

From that day MH cannot be released on any portbales other than Nintendo's?

You're making the assumption that the deal was agreed to either right before or on the day the last PSP MH was released. Even if there was a deal it more than likely wouldn't end on that day.

Top Bottom