• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

Sandfox

And it's probably a big issue for Nintendo that the dropoff for the "next gen" version was 600k -> 30k

Well its the same game that was just released not to long ago and I'm sure people could've just bought the Wii version for their Wii U's a while back. Its a big drop but people shouldn't have really been expecting big numbers.

Yamauchi

Banned
Glad to see Game & Wario bomb. Tried to slip that shovelware past us, didn't you, Nintendo?

Animal Crossing won't die. :eek:

AzaK

Focusing to 3DS during 2013 might be actually better off.

Yup, but us Wii U owners might not. It was disheartening to hear Scott Moffit at the end of last year, just after Wii U launched saying they are focussing on 3DS. I can understand why, but as someone who bought their home console it's a bit of a middle finger.

Rocky

Banned
More like 340k -> 36k going by Famitsu (opening week).
Anyway, I expected something like 50k, it was not going to sell more than that first week.

I think the point you are missing is that Dragon Quest is usually pretty big in Japan, so big that even though ~600k sold for Wii, not many people thought it was good enough to warrant upgrading to a superior version. I think they even had a discount if you had the Wii version.

This isn't good no matter how you try to spin it.

Yup, but us Wii U owners might not. It was disheartening to hear Scott Moffit at the end of last year, just after Wii U launched saying they are focussing on 3DS. I can understand why, but as someone who bought their home console it's a bit of a middle finger.

I think you mean Wii U only owners. I have Wii U and the drought and lack of support doesn't bother me a bit. Got plenty of games to play on my PS3, 3DS, Vita, PSP and even a few Wii games I haven't gotten to yet.

Kandinsky

Alright, this was just the appetizer from Nintendo. Wario?!? pfff. DQX port? old news.

Let's take a look at what the geniuses in Kyoto have lined up for lucky Wii U owners in Japan the next 2-3 months shall we?

Pokemon Rumble on April 24th

RE:Revelations on May 23rd!!

Then in June the big guns hit

Injustice and Rabbidsland June 6th.

F1 All Star Racing June 27th.

And that's it folks!
And people dont want Iwata's head smh.

TheNatural

My Member!
Alright, this was just the appetizer from Nintendo. Wario?!? pfff. DQX port? old news.

Let's take a look at what the geniuses in Kyoto have lined up for lucky Wii U owners in Japan the next 2-3 months shall we?

Pokemon Rumble on April 24th

RE:Revelations on May 23rd!!

Then in June the big guns hit

Injustice and Rabbidsland June 6th.

F1 All Star Racing June 27th.

And that's it folks!

That's just nuts. Nintendo's silence is deafening since they revealed the Q1 game list. Welp, Q1 is over and ... nothing said yet.

Maybe worth sharing: http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2013/04/03/65308.html

Nintendo put out a new 3DS promotional pamphlet at retailers today, showcasing some of the current and upcoming titles of interest on the 3DS, along with the 3DS and 3DS LL hardware at the end. Starting with Monster Hunter 4 and ending with Pokemon X/Y, with a mix of smaller and larger mid-tier titles in-between from various third parties, I think it does a pretty good job of presenting a case that the 3DS isn't dead and it isn't going anywhere, and there are a wide range of games available for it for core gamers. Stuff like this go a long way in instilling confidence from consumers to invest in a platform.

Right now, if Nintendo were to put together such a pamphlet for the WiiU, it would be pretty much empty. That's the platform's biggest problem.
Hiska-kun posted this yesterday.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52355028&postcount=1759

Monster Hunter > Pokemon confirmed.

Thorgal

Microsoft is also going into next gen with a much better position than they had before in North America and Europe, and Japan is less relevant than ever (well, at least since prior to the NES days) in their strongest regions, so making a show in Japan to help garner support is unlikely to be a high priority.

i don't know if i would call a country that sold 9 million ps3 "irelevant".
even if consoles see a decline next gen it would still not be wise to write it off.

You can choose to believe whatever you wanna believe, I guess. I'm not the only one that came to that conclusion btw. I just choose to believe two mods, Nirolak's post and Aena's translation, instead of frank's supposed wife's translation like you.
I choose to believe Square Enix. Simple as that.

And again, I'm not the one putting two mods vs a native Japanese woman for translation. I just said the source was questionable, so better to wait for a clearer response.

DCUO did fairly well on the PS3, which implies that there is indeed a market for MMO on consoles. Shunning the PS3/360 would be a mistake. Not as big as shunning the PC, I agree, but a mistake nevertheless.
DCUO did well enough after it went f2p, beforehand it megabombed hard (30k subscriber base worldwide). 360 is an automatic no go due to Microsoft's standards too.

PC is where the port is actually needed and wirth looking into imo. PS4 maybe down the line too depending on how it goes.

Lexxism

Anyway, I expected something like 50k, it was not going to sell more than that first week.

The game was released on March 30th. That's just two days of sale. It might have reach 50k or maybe even more(?) if it was like 4-5 days of sale.

I think the point you are missing is that Dragon Quest is usually pretty big in Japan, so big that even though ~600k sold for Wii, not many people thought it was good enough to warrant upgrading to a superior version. I think they even had a discount if you had the Wii version.

This isn't good no matter how you try to spin it.

I don't want to spin anything, but let's be honest, this wasn't the traditional Dragon Quest people were waiting for; it was the HD porting of a MMORPG entry in the series, that was released few months ago on Wii. Sales weren't good, but expectations weren't high.

Mario007

The game was released on March 30th. That's just two days of sale. It might have reach 50k or maybe even more(?) if it was like 4-5 days of sale.
No, doubling the number of days will not double the number of sales.
I don't want to spin anything, but let's be honest, this wasn't the traditional Dragon Quest people were waiting for; it was the HD porting of a MMORPG entry in the series, that was released few months ago on Wii. Sales weren't good, but expectations weren't high.
No one is disputing that the game sold less than the usual DQ entries because it's an MMO, what people are saying is that selling a 10% of the Wii version's first week is abyssal no matter how this is spun. Abyssal for SE mainly, and Nintendo as well.

Still no concrete release date for Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 is disturbing. I guess I can only hope that they decide to drop them in May perhaps?

Nintendo must have really been hit hard with the switch to HD. Its painfully obvious that they pushed the system out too early :(

Box

They tried with Colosseum and XD. I don't recall them lighting the charts on fire.

Pokemon isn't like other series. Its appeal is indelibly linked by the portable experience; hell, the clue's in the name.

Who tried with Colosseum and XD? Both of those were incredibly low-budget games by a rookie developer that were in no way up to quality. They sold terribly because they were terrible games, not because they were released on a home console.

I'm not particularly experienced in looking up old software sales so I just checked Wikipedia but they have Stadium and Stadium 2 at about 4mil and 2mil respectively. I'm inclined to believe that they both sold 7 digits. Pokemon games definitely have the ability to sell big numbers on consoles.

The problem is that GameFreak doesn't really have the chops to make a big HD Pokemon RPG. Furthermore, it's important that someone continues the franchise on handheld systems. Nintendo would need some other team to do it.

Furthermore, the team that they found would have to be qualified and well-funded to make the game. A big HD RPG isn't something you can just rush out the door. It would definitely occupy a lot of Nintendo's resources to pull it off and make it a good game. In the end, I think the sales would be worth the effort, but it's nonetheless a big decision. I can understand why such a game hasn't been made.

Still, it's foolhardy to judge the potential of a home console Pokemon game based on Colosseum and XD.

Rolf NB

So indeed, Muramasa launched higher than it did on the Wii back in 2009. Who'd a thunk.
(I think someone predicted in last week's thread that this will happen -- or that it won't happen...? I'm so confused)

Zen

Banned
Haha, Media Create threads have become even more active than NPD ones, it seems. I wonder why that is. Vita and WiiU fans hoping their respective systems pull through?

I could be that as well, but a big factor is that the NPD threads have been numbers bare for a long time. Small amount of numbers get revealed but the OP usually doesn't update everything. It's just a hassle to go through.

Maedhros

I see that Sammy old argument of every game is Monster Hunter is still being used.

Though... Toukiden is the FIRST game that I've seen that is almost a carbon copy of MH. Even the slow, shitty combat (IMO) is there.

People saying they're glad G&W bombed confuse me. It will mean the death of WarioWare if nothing else. Never mind the fact it's a good game.

Still no concrete release date for Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 is disturbing. I guess I can only hope that they decide to drop them in May perhaps?

Not both in May, but maybe one. Kamiya has been tweeting a lot less lately, incidentally.

People saying they're glad G&W bombed confuse me. It will mean the death of WarioWare if nothing else. Never mind the fact it's a good game.

We haven't had a proper microgame compilation since, what, 2006?

The series is already dead. This effort doesn't even have the Wario Ware/ Made in Wario branding, and its style of play is entirely different.

Out of the 3 titles Nintendo have put out for the Wii U so far, two are minigame compilations. If it takes this one bombing to show them that's a terrible idea, then so be it.

So indeed, Muramasa launched higher than it did on the Wii back in 2009. Who'd a thunk.
(I think someone predicted in last week's thread that this will happen -- or that it won't happen...? I'm so confused)

It sold in a week more or less the same that Wii Murasama in all 2009. With a much smaller userbase.

DGRE

Banned
You answered to post that stated that Wii fell of a cliff with answer not really. Then I pointed out that it really did. What is causing this confusion? Being home console was not the reason why it fall of a cliff.

The poster was implying that because the 3DS is already set to pass the Wii's LTD, the Wii fell off a cliff. Neither his point nor your point are a valid positioning of Wii's sales. Both are handhelds and were always going to easily outsell the Wii, even if the Wii outpaced the PSP initially, they are in no way direct competitors.

The Wii is Nintendo's best selling home console ever, and their best selling console in Japan since the SNES.

Wii sales have dropped, but looking at overall numbers, it's still a monster.

Damn, even DQX didn't ignite the Wii U on fire. If it wasnt a MMo, I think it would have. Makes me sad thinking about the missed opportunity here for both Nintendo and Square Enix. :(

Nekki

Can we consider SS having some sort of legs now? I'm just curious because pretty much any other Vita release would drop off after 2, maybe even 1 week.

No. Please refer to games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf, NSMB2 for legs. Weekly drops lower than 10% (being very generous here) and occasional up-bumps over a long period of time is what defines legs (in my opinion of course). SS does not fill this criteria (yet) and I believe it never will. Not to say it didn't sell well anyways.

Also, things that piss me off in these threads:

1) People who parade the Vita weekly results as some beacon of gaming salvation.

2) People still asking for Monster Hunter on Vita. Would be nice, but it doesn't need it.

3) People who victory dance around DQX numbers.

I know nobody cares, so what :D.

Anyway, a bit more on topic??

Are people seriously THAT impressed by DQX doing like it is?? Really??? It already sold above 600k on the Wii. Mainline or not, it's an MMO.

The game is 7 months old. Seven months old.

What the hell are the incentives to upgrade from the Wii version to the Wii U version?? I can't find any so please tell me.

I'm not being arrogant or defiant, I'm serious when I say I'm not finding any noteworthy reason why at least 20% of the Wii userbase would upgrade to the Wii U.

Just for prettier graphics??? Big deal, we know that doesn't really matter in the end with DQ.

So both MH and DQ have come and gone with little effect. What's next hope for the system?
Monster Hunter I can understand since its a portable monster. But DQ makes me sad because if it wasnt a MMO, it may have sold a ton of Wii Us for months to come and like 10million copies of the game!

We haven't had a proper microgame compilation since, what, 2006?

The series is already dead. This effort doesn't even have the Wario Ware/ Made in Wario branding, and its style of play is entirely different.

Out of the 3 titles Nintendo have put out for the Wii U so far, two are minigame compilations. If it takes this one bombing to show them that's a terrible idea, then so be it.

I still can't really look at the new Game & Wario game and not picture it as a bunch of mobile phone mini games.

Did they charge $60 for this game in Japan? Noticed GS has it reduced to 39.99, but I'm not finding any official NA release dates...

zroid

Banned
About DQX... I just remembered that Square Enix was offering a 50% discount to download the Wii U version if owned on Wii. Surely that must have had a not insignificant impact on the reported sales.

Maybe someone with a Japanese Wii U could check the eShop charts and see how it's doing?

The poster was implying that because the 3DS is already set to pass the Wii's LTD, the Wii fell off a cliff. Neither his point nor your point are a valid positioning of Wii's sales. Both are handhelds and were always going to easily outsell the Wii, even if the Wii outpaced the PSP initially, they are in no way direct competitors.

The Wii is Nintendo's best selling home console ever, and their best selling console in Japan since the SNES.

Wii sales have dropped, but looking at overall numbers, it's still a monster.

The fact that Wii was outpacing PSP shows that the demand was high for it. Compare Wii to previous home console leaders like NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2 and it really fell of a cliff. Its sales curve is not normal for marketplace leader. I guess that is the point I am trying to get across. What happened to Wii is not normal. During first years of its life it looked like it could achieve sales of PS2 (like PSP pretty much has).

Nekki

About DQX... I just remembered that Square Enix was offering a 50% discount to download the Wii U version if owned it on Wii. Surely that must have had a not insignificant impact on reported sales.

I think we will never know how much it sold that way. But i'm sure the answer is.. not many.

zroid

Banned
I think we will never know how much it sold that way. But i'm sure the answer is.. not many.

Well you can get a rough estimate based on comparisons to known figures and ratings. A minimum, at least.

Chances are most who bought DQX on Wii and purchased a Wii U would upgrade, considering the steep discount. I could see it doubling the sales, potentially.

sense

weren't you expecting a f2p game like pso2 to sell more than it did? that was a game that released on pc a little while ago and still managed to sell good numbers even though it was available for free.

donny2112

The point you are missing is that the discount was for the digital version through Square-Enix's online shop, so even if all 600K Wii buyers upgraded on Day 1, it wouldn't be tracked in MC or Famitsu. :p

Dalthien

Who tried with Colosseum and XD? Both of those were incredibly low-budget games by a rookie developer that were in no way up to quality. They sold terribly because they were terrible games, not because they were released on a home console.

They sold poorly when compared to mainline Pokemon entries, but they didn't sell poorly as games. Colosseum was one the Top 10 best-sellers on Gamecube (US+Japan).

Colosseum > 1M in the US and > 650k in Japan.
XD > 500k in the US and > 250k in Japan.

Colosseum actually put up some pretty strong numbers, and XD dropped off a lot, but it didn't come out until the Cube had already been dead for quite some time, and even then, it almost certainly still topped a million worldwide.

Top Bottom