• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

Jackano

3DS | 72.115 | 121.921 | 32.910 | 1.312.560 | 868.843 | 5.594.703 |
PSV | 8.931 | 12.105 | | 211.435 | | 651.421 |

So next week (if not at the time we are speaking) the 3DS outsell psvita by 5M?
Meaning by more than the N64 or the Gamecube entiere lifespan?
Sure this milestone helps to conceive the 3DS success.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Any chance we could get some 3DS/PS2 comparisons for perspective?
I was just toying with this. It looks like 3DS's 2012 is very similar to PS2's 2002, which was its best year.
fam

Those Vita sales... wow. Those numbers are both extraordinarily sad and completely maddening. Sony seems to be doing absolutely nothing about it right now and they probably won't until it is far too late. With those type of numbers, I don't even expect many publishers will want to even port games to the platform. Sony is in no financial position to reduce the price of the Vita and game announcements, let alone an actual release, are few and far between. Generally, the picture is very bleak for the Vita... hopefully Sony can pull a few magic tricks out of the hat to bring some life to it right now. I also expect the NPD numbers to be utterly abysmal and probably in the mid 100k range.

I would like to see Sony officially bundle each SKU with a 4GB memory card and a big-name game. Launch the new bundle with a new Vita colour... Hell, if Sony wanted to make sure the cut wasn't so deep, they could even maybe put in a small, bundle-only sized memory card like 1GB or 2GB. That at least provides everyone that buys a Vita with a basic memory card and significant game. Sony makes it up and more with sales on larger memory cards and more games. Unfortunately, that might be a problem for them too...

Those Kingdom Hearts numbers are... interesting. I figured it would hold a bit more.

There's a game-breaking bug like in Skyward Sword where if you do something the wrong way you can prevent further progress from being possible.

Interesting.

Could one now presume that unpatchable, potentially game-breaking bug in game = damaged sales potential?

7threst

Do you really have to ask?

Seeing the reply above I guess not. But I kind of hoped nobody would want to see the Vita fail but I'm afraid that is just not happening.

Because I want a one portable console future.

I want to have choice. And I want others to play consoles I might not like, just because I see that there is definitely something positive in different flavours of the same thing, even if it just serves the diversity of discussions on GAF. Plus the fact that competition can be something good.

In some respects yes, it was designed for the elderly and families. It still ended up being the more premium model though (and preferred by core gamers), so I think it'd be naturally suited for grafting CPP onto.

I still dont think its technically practical for them to integrate the frankenstick into the system

Oh noes, it finally happened.....

VITA

Also I don't really get the KH thing, is JPN just sick of the series now? Not treating it like a 'real' entry in the series? Didn't think it being on a handheld would be an a problem there at least.

extralite

Interesting.

Could one now presume that unpatchable, potentially game-breaking bug in game = damaged sales potential?

SS had a channel that could repair your save so you could go on normally with the game. I'm guessing the same thing should be possible on 3DS.

I wonder if Japanese gamers are simply waiting for the inevitable KH:DDD FM, every single Kingdom Hearts title has been rereleased with the exception of 358/2 Days.

Also Vita.......... I dunno what else to say that hasn't already been said, system is in deep trouble.

I was talking about Nintendo using the OLED screen.
Oh that. :(

Well yes, it's certainly less likely but it could also (potentially) help with battery concerns and also help justify a DSi style price creep back towards $199. It probably depends mostly on timing though, ie: if the tech is cheap enough soon enough.

It's purely a space issue, which an XL formfactor naturally alleviates. They can still offer a CCP upgrade path for "S" 3DS owners too.

Its not purely a space issue though, its also the issue of how it interfaces (which is handled in game) and also the shoulder button the frankenstick replaces

pramath

Banned
Oh that. :(

Well yes, it's certainly less likely but it could also (potentially) help with battery concerns and also help justify a DSi style price creep back towards $199. It probably depends mostly on timing though, ie: if the tech is cheap enough soon enough.

I don't know, I just don't see Nintendo using OLED screens until they're cheap, proven and off the shelf.
I mean, consider how long it took them to use:

Backlit Screens
Color Screens
Rechargeable Batteries

It'll be a while before they use OLEDs. Maybe on the 3DS successor.

fernoca

Relative big drop for KH, but seeing the numbers posted earlier.
Either people are getting tired of the series or tired of Square jumping the series all over platforms. Guess we won't know for sure until the next KH game is released...an on which platform it ends (plus when).

donny2112

Do you have numbers for how long it took any of the other consoles and handhelds to double their first week sales?

For DS, PSP, PS3, and WII, it was usually within three weeks after launch. This is essentially a hyped successor to a reasonably popular system with no staying power past the hype. Not sure there's been one of those before.

1-D_FTW

I don't know, I just don't see Nintendo using OLED screens until they're cheap, proven and off the shelf.

Backlit Screens
Color Screens
Rechargeable Batteries

Yeah. I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to say the 3DS will never have OLED screens. It's not going to mean the difference between sale/no sale to their audience and it's additional cost that would otherwise be pure profit. Will not happen.

Its not purely a space issue though, its also the issue of how it interfaces (which is handled in game) and also the shoulder button the frankenstick replaces
It'd be simple enough for the new model's firmware to detect game by game and simply go into "3DS mode" or "CPP mode" while allowing the single L button to be used for both. This is a trivial hurdle.

KHDDD already launched pretty weak, so there's definitely more to it than just a game-breaking bug. But it surely did its part.
I'm curious to know how fast the bug was found. There would have been 2channers playing copies before the release date. If the news was spread early enough, KHDDD's sales could have been killed hours after it launched.

It'd be simple enough for the new model's firmware to detect game by game and simply go into "3DS mode" or "CPP mode" while allowing the single L button to be used for both. This is a trivial hurdle.

Would it be so trivial though? Are you a programmer with knowledge of how the 3ds works?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PSP Super robot something outselling Kingdom Hearts and Kid Icarus...

What an odd situation.

donny2112

If the news was spread early enough, KHDDD's sales could have been killed hours after it launched.

Please don't start trying to use this as a significant reason for KH3D's poor sales. (That we have to wonder whether it'll finish off its launch shipment through bargain bin sales and that no one seems to think it was an inflated launch shipment means that it's poor sales.)

Just for a sense of perspective. how did previous systems that had a slow starts do in their first 16 weeks? I know sone systems never recover from initial sale sputters and land in bomb territory. What is that threshold? How soon does Sony have to do something before it becomes an insurmountable battle to get the system to relevancy.

GCX

There have been better week 14 these last years. Best was in 2006: DS family sold over 200K.
That's a month after DS Lite was released and DS was entering the insanity mode.

3DS is doing great even if it's not breaking those crazy records.

extralite

Well, I'd assume so, but they didn't appear to do a channel for New Love Plus.

In New Love Plus the bug was caused by the import tool app I think and they replaced it with a new version. Although that apparently didn't solve all problems with the game. Anyway, resetting some flags so you can progress further should be easier to accomplish than to repair the more complex data in New Love Plus.

pramath

Banned
Just for a sense of perspective. how did previous systems that had a slow starts do in their first 16 weeks? I know sone systems never recover from initial sale sputters and land in bomb territory. What is that threshold? How soon does Sony have to do something before it becomes an insurmountable battle to get the system to relevancy.
I might be jumping the gun here, but I'm pretty sure the Vita is already there.

donny2112

3DS is doing great if it's not breaking those crazy records.

3DS is doing quite well except when compared to DS's crazy records.

Reminds me to expect poor Wii U NPD expectations (even if it's doing "well"), since they'll probably be comparing to Wii's months from launch. :lol

Backlit Screens
Color Screens
Rechargeable Batteries

But Nintendo was the first to use rechargable batteries and backlit (well, frontlit at first) screens for their handeld game systems. Ahead of Sega, SNK, Bandai, Nokia, Atari and whoever else.

Not to mention touchscreen, 3D screen, WiFi, internal flash... Nintendo selects technologies not just on long term establishment, but on feasibility. If OLED is feasible when they're ready for the new model(s), they'll go for it.

Not to mention every single initial Nintendo handheld upgrade offered a significant and noticable screen improvement (GB to GBP, GBA to GBASP, DS to DSL). OLED makes a great canidate in that regard, but I'm not sure what other major improvement Nintendo could offer instead? Improved 3D visibility maybe, but that's a relatively minor selling point.

Top Bottom