• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2012 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rhythm Thief is getting a really big push - most places have it displayed and out front which is fantastic.

Beyond the Labyrinth... not as such :(

i was due to get them today , then decided against, then found some cash in a pocket that i didn't know i had and decided to get them, then decided against it again! lol.

I might give it a week so i can clear a few things - as i hit Aki and other local spots pretty often, i might start collating the super-anecdotal view of what retail looks like once/twice a week (i do this informally on @dcharliejp anyways)

Didn't you see how Rhythm Thief was selling, at least? :p

AniHawk

The problem with it is that it looks more like Space Harrier than Kid Icarus. They should've let Retro make a side scrolling Kid Icarus Returns instead.

and then when pit flies, you have to alternate between the 1 and 2 buttons to flap his wings.

gkryhewy

The biggest problem with 3DS is that it's games has more in common with PSP games than DS games. They're 3D, often third person, racing, first person, etc, and very similar to regular console games. In other word, the 3DS is going after the same gamers as the Vita. How do you think that will go?
Sure, Nintendo games will probably keep on selling, and possibly all those games that sold well on the PSP too, like Monster Hunter for example, but I just don't see how the 3DS can keep selling more than the Vita once they both start getting the same games from the third party devs, which means that the 3DS will keep getting the inferior version.

If 3DS keeps selling 5-10x Vita on a weekly basis, why would 3rd-party devs bother porting their 3DS titles to Vita?

ugoo18

and then when pit flies, you have to alternate between the 1 and 2 buttons to flap his wings.

Ugh that reminded me of those races in Banjo Tooie against Canary Mary where you had to alternate between A and B -_- i hated those with a passion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Paper Mario (System Seller)
Kid Icarus (System Seller)
Luigi's Mansion (System Seller)

these are expected to be System Sellers?

I am asking with my serious face on, i wouldn't have put any of them in that bracket.

why would 3rd-party devs bother porting their 3DS titles to Vita?

as we've seen already - size of a Nintendo machines installed base doesn't guarantee you 3rd party sales.

Didn't you see how Rhythm Thief was selling, at least? :p

Seriously - everyone i saw today was buying Monster Hunter. No joke

Fess

If 3DS keeps selling 5-10x Vita on a weekly basis, why would 3rd-party devs bother porting their 3DS titles to Vita?
The Wii sold more than the 360, yet it was the 360 that got the best versions. Developers like nice graphics. That's just the way it is. And we can already see console games ports on the 3DS. Next year (or this) we'll start seeing console games ported to Vita too, and the 3DS will get the inferior version.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Less competition and profit maximizing.

Just kidding, it's because the games would look soooo good on dat OLED Screen, every developer will want to see their work on that beautiful machine.

ugoo18

The Wii sold more than the 360, yet it was the 360 that got the best versions. Developers like nice graphics. That's just the way it is. And we can already see console games ports on the 3DS. Next year we'll start seeing console games ported to Vita too, and the 3DS will get the inferior version.

This isn't a home console, these are handhelds were Nintendo is the undisputed king. Any 3rd party dev that bets against a Nintendo handheld is plain crazy.

Celine

as we've seen already - size of a Nintendo machines installed base doesn't guarantee you 3rd party sales.
That's true even for Sony machines or Microsoft machines.
It depend on who and what drive a system growth because in the process it shape the userbase.

However small install base and lack of a driving force usually harm third-party software as we witness with PSV launch period.

gogogow

The Wii sold more than the 360, yet it was the 360 that got the best versions. Developers like nice graphics. That's just the way it is. And we can already see console games ports on the 3DS. Next year (or this) we'll start seeing console games ported to Vita too, and the 3DS will get the inferior version.

Lol, what a bad comparison. Wii didn't get much ports at all from the 360/PS3. 360 had the better versions (over the PS3) because it was the first new gen console and became the lead platform (and was also more developer friendly than the PS3). Not because developers likes nice graphics, last I checked HD towns were hard to make... :/

Portugeezer

I am asking with my serious face on, i wouldn't have put any of them in that bracket

I don't think so. Maybe Paper Mario because it's Mario, and Luigi's Mansion has some charm. Kid Icarus I wouldn't think so. RE R is more of a system seller.

mclem

Hmm, I was expecting Sales-Age to experience a bit of a decline. The 3DS/Vita battle isn't particularly competitive, and we're a long way away from the next head-to-head hardware battle unless PS4 appears out of nowhere.

I think there's a good possibility of a decent battle between Wii U and PS3 in Japan, at least at first. PS3's clearly in the lead for week-on-week console sales right now

If the Wii U doesn't set the charts alight at the outset, I think Sales-Age will perk up again.

mclem

Don't make me laugh with the bolded. 3DS may get a bump with their release, but those are not system sellers.
I've said elsewhere: I *could* see Luigi's Mansion taking off unexpectedly. It's got a lot of things going for it, potentially, and could well fit naturally on a handheld. I wouldn't write it off.

That said, it's by no means the *certain* system seller the person you're responding to implied.

Fess

This isn't a home console, these are handhelds were Nintendo is the undisputed king. Any 3rd party dev that bets against a Nintendo handheld is plain crazy.
They won't bet against Nintendo, they'll just port their big franchises to both the Vita and the 3DS and it's only natural that the Vita will get the better version in that case. The only scenario where that wouldn't happen is if the developers make really good use of the pen.

In my opinion this is a huge problem with the 3DS. If you're looking at the current games library the 3DS has basically become a PSP with dual screens. Is that really what former DS owners wants?

jman2050

They won't bet against Nintendo, they'll just port their big franchises to both the Vita and the 3DS and it's only natural that the Vita will get the better version in that case. The only scenario where that wouldn't happen is if the developers make really good use of the pen.

In my opinion this is a huge problem with the 3DS. If you're looking at the current games library the 3DS has basically become a PSP with dual screens. Is that really what former DS owners wants?

Why can't the 3DS be both. Heck, one of the main arguments being presented is that with the current and upcoming software lineup the 3DS would be catering to both the DS AND PSP markets simultaneously.

It wouldn't be such a big problem if you wouldn't create this delusional situation where console ports of all things would somehow play any significant role for portable systems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I am asking with my serious face on, i wouldn't have put any of them in that bracket.

I'm not sure they're supposed to be system sellers, I'm sure they're supposed to be the solid second tier of stuff that makes people who were otherwise looking to buy the system finally pull the trigger, or at the very least keeps the 3DS relevant (in-store displays, for example, contribute a lot to continued awareness/interest issue).

So yeah I don't necessarily agree with ugoo18's characterization, but I don't see any reality where the 3DS doesn't have a pretty great year on the backs of the aggregate software strength even though I can't point to specific pieces of software that have multi-million potential.

I'm not sure they're supposed to be system sellers, I'm sure they're supposed to be the solid second tier of stuff that makes people who were otherwise looking to buy the system finally pull the trigger, or at the very least keeps the 3DS relevant (in-store displays, for example, contribute a lot to continued awareness/interest issue).

So yeah I don't necessarily agree with ugoo18's characterization, but I don't see any reality where the 3DS doesn't have a pretty great year on the backs of the aggregate software strength even though I can't point to specific pieces of software that have multi-million potential.

Tomadachi should have that potential, shouldn't it?

Alrus

I don't really see that many 3rd party bombs on the 3DS to be honest... There's DoA and Ace Combat so far (can't really explain why they bombed that badly). Also Winning Eleven 2012 which is kind of strange because 2011 did respectful number but I'm guessing Konami didn't put much effort advertising it...

You do remember that the PS2 was the least powerful console of last gen and got the worst version of most multiplat game right? That didn't keep them from selling.

Tomodachi and Animal Crossing both have the potential to sell millions.

They won't bet against Nintendo, they'll just port their big franchises to both the Vita and the 3DS and it's only natural that the Vita will get the better version in that case.

What does this even mean? More content? Levels, characters and DLC that the 3DS version doesn't get? I don't see that being the case, 3DS is just as capable on this front as the Vita.

I think all the Vita has here is better graphics, but that doesn't mean too much anymore. This isn't the DS/PSP gap. And the 3DS has one graphical advantage over the Vita as well, and even if GAF doesn't consider it a big selling point, we've yet to see how the market will respond to it given a choice.

The sequel to 999 comes out and a consumer owns both devices - will they prefer the 3D version, or the OLED version at double the resolution? Who can say?

Celine

They do but publishers impose where software should go.
On regard 360/PS3/Wii we all know on who publishers bet their investment even before those system were out and 360 early entrance helped that.
PS3 should really thank 360 for the support it get.

Fess

Why can't the 3DS be both. Heck, one of the main arguments being presented is that with the current and upcoming software lineup the 3DS would be catering to both the DS AND PSP markets simultaneously.
But is it really catering to the DS demographic?
DS for me is pen control, top down or isometric view RPGs, puzzle and adventure point and click games. Personally I'm having trouble finding those type of games on the 3DS, it might get better in the future though but right now I have bought 17 DS games and 5 3DS for my 3DS. It's still pretty awesome that you can run DS games on it though, that is a system seller feature imo since the DS library is so huge

Road

If anyone is interested in the prediction game, let me know. I'll try to carry on.

These are the obvious games:

[PS3] Armored Core V
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R

And then a wildcard:

[360] Armored Core V
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Mokuba no Kiseki
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure 4 You! Vol. 4

ugoo18

Those 4 games are all easily 2 million+ sellers in the US alone if the sales of their previous versions are anything to go by (Excluding Kid Icarus but that's a million + seller as well).

But is it really catering to the DS demographic?
DS for me is pen control, top down or isometric view RPGs, puzzle and adventure point and click games. Personally I'm having trouble finding those type of games on the 3DS, it might get better in the future though but right now I have bought 17 DS games and 5 3DS for my 3DS. It's still pretty awesome that you can run DS games on it though, that is a system seller feature imo since the DS library is so huge

Are the game types you listed major system sellers? How many units did the typical point and click adventure game sell? If it wasn't a lot, can it really be said that they made up the DS demographic?

No, the DS demographic was like the PS2's: anything and everything, a mass market one stop shop for whatever you enjoy playing. The 3DS is still young but it's on the right track.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Seriously - everyone i saw today was buying Monster Hunter. No joke

Eh, considering all you've said so far, it just seems your area is basically Monster Hunter town.

Monster Hunter where you went to see has

1)Big shelves space
2)Invaded PSP shelves
3)It's the only game being bought, even MK and 3D Land can't do anything against it

...Or it's just JAPAN as a whole Monster Hunter town, in the end XD

Thanks for your impressions, however, and I'm looking for other ones from you, even again this week, but especially next week, when Revelations comes! :D

Fess

I think all the Vita has here is better graphics, but that doesn't mean too much anymore. This isn't the DS/PSP gap.
It's the Wii/PS3 gap. More or less. It won't matter in gameplay but it will definitely matter when they're trying to sell the game by showing trailers and screenshots.

It's the Wii/PS3 gap. More or less. It won't matter in gameplay but it will definitely matter when they're trying to sell the game by showing trailers and screenshots.

1. No, it's really not. It's quite a bit less than the Wii/PS3 gap.
2. What handheld game has ever been sold solely off graphics?

Less. RE Revelations is much better looking than anything the Wii could do, and rendered in 3D no less. Meanwhile Vita Uncharted renders to a buffer at 75% of native resolution and upscales because it has a hard time pushing full screen graphics that still aren't at PS3 level.

The gap is much narrower than Wii/PS3.

Taurus

When the screen of the device you are playing is from 2 to 5 inches, few screenshots don't really do shit in either way. The home console comparison is really bad when we are talking about handhelds.

Where were you when PSP and DS launched? Look how PSP stomped DS with its PS2-like graphics... Yeah.

Fess

1. No, it's really not. It's quite a bit less than the Wii/PS3 gap.
2. What handheld game has ever been sold solely off graphics?
So what kind of gap is it then?
Resident Evil Revelations looks amazing, possibly the best looking 3DS game shown so far, but from what I've seen it's still not even close to matching Uncharted on Vita.
But yeah, no game sell solely on graphics, it doesn't exactly hurt if it looks great though, especially if pics gets posted on boards.

Resident Evil Revelations looks amazing, possibly the best looking 3DS game shown so far, but from what I've seen it's still not even close to matching Uncharted on Vita.
But yeah, no game sell solely on graphics, it doesn't exactly hurt if it looks great though, especially if pics gets posted on boards.

Its own kind.
The 3DS can output much better looking games than the Wii.
The Vita can't output as good of looking games as the PS3.

Fess

Where were you when PSP and DS launched? Look how PSP stomped DS with its PS2-like graphics... Yeah.
I was here, and yes the PSP got stomped by the DS even though it had better graphics, definitely. But PSP also had other issues and it got typical console games while the DS got handheld games, the latter being the choice of the masses. Based on the current and upcoming 3DS and Vita library I'm not sure that we will see that kind of gameplay difference between the two this time around. You don't think graphics will matter at all if they both get the same type of games?

No one said they're on equal footing, and they don't have to be. All that's been said is that the gap is far lower. We're not talking DS/PSP difference here, or even a Wii/PS3 difference; it's not negligible, but it's also not a game-changer.

And honestly, if Revelations was on Vita, people would be calling it a graphical showcase for the system. I doubt you could have said that for any Wii or DS game on another platform.

Its own kind.

Y'know, it's not fair to compare the two this way, and this probably isn't the thread for it either, but I just realized:

Uncharted: 720 x 408 = 293,760

Revelations: (800 x 240) + (320 x 240) = 268,800

With 3D turned on they're almost pushing the same number of pixels. :p

jman2050

I was here, and yes the PSP got stomped by the DS even though it had better graphics, definitely. But PSP also had other issues and it got typical console games while the DS got handheld games, the latter being the choice of the masses. Based on the current and upcoming 3DS and Vita library I'm not sure that we will see that kind of gameplay difference between the two this time around. You don't think graphics will matter at all if they both get the same type of games?

No, I don't.

Taurus

No. 3DS will have Nintendo games that don't rely on visual output.

Its own kind.

No, it really can't. There will not be a single 3DS game that will look better than say, Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Skyward Sword, sorry. Revelations doesn't even come close and that's the best looking game that we know of.

No. 3DS will have Nintendo games that don't rely on visual output.

And most people don't have the luxury of owning every console and having that choice between better image quality or 3D.

Most people will buy a given system for a particular mass market system seller, and then buy multiplatform games on that system regardless of how good the graphics are. As stated above with examples like the PS2.

Top Bottom