• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2012 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
But surely Shenmue 3 will change the wind for Vita? Who's with me?!?!

Waiting for Panzer Dragoon Saga RPG Vita , Phantasy Star Online 2 Portable, Ryu Ga Gotoku spin off 3, Jet Set Radio Future Vita, Skies of Arvita, Daytona Vita, Sega Rally qHD and all those other actual -good- sega titles to clear first.

Having a large number of mediocre selling games doesn't sell hardware.

Having them all together doesn't because they tread all over each others toes. Whilst i absolutely loved the insanity of a whole batch of new games at launch it probably would have been a bit more fun to spread them out a bit. Might even have bumped up sales.

Then again, for all we know we might get a load of companies dropping huge titles after the US launch and maybe people wanted to get the games out first?

In sales news - i notice that a lot of places in Aki are sold out of Shinrei Camera - however they have notes up that a new shipment is due on the 21st - so hopefully they can hit 30k total at least.

Oxx

My sentiment is that MC thread have almost never been this fun. I am drowning in sales-age orgasm in here, guys. I don't wanna draw you in a meaningless conversation in the next 6 pages by saying this but I think that this thread can grow bigger than the very NPD December one.

The two important things that will be discussed in these next three months will be 3DS' ability to sustain strong hardware and software sales (reference being the DS in the same period of its life) and PSVita not deeping below 9000 (Vegeta references will be used, trust me). And that is one hell of a fine marmelade for my sales-age bread.

Hmm, I was expecting Sales-Age to experience a bit of a decline. The 3DS/Vita battle isn't particularly competitive, and we're a long way away from the next head-to-head hardware battle unless PS4 appears out of nowhere.

Of course there will be plenty to discuss and analyse, but not much to fight about.

Takao

Banned
Lists? Really? Barring the fact that you're in a Japanese sales thread, I'll put some thought on the titles in bold.

You can't call out someone making a list and then respond to it, lol.

For Sony I wouldn't call LBP a "meh" seller. It's probably their best selling series after Uncharted, and Gran Turismo this generation.

I also wouldn't call Bend a B-studio. They're better than that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Waiting for Panzer Dragoon Saga RPG Vita , Phantasy Star Online 2 Portable, Ryu Ga Gotoku spin off 3, Jet Set Radio Future Vita, Skies of Arvita, Daytona Vita, Sega Rally qHD and all those other actual -good- sega titles to clear first.

Having them all together doesn't because they tread all over each others toes. Whilst i absolutely loved the insanity of a whole batch of new games at launch it probably would have been a bit more fun to spread them out a bit. Might even have bumped up sales.

Then again, for all we know we might get a load of companies dropping huge titles after the US launch and maybe people wanted to get the games out first?

In sales news - i notice that a lot of places in Aki are sold out of Shinrei Camera - however they have notes up that a new shipment is due on the 21st - so hopefully they can hit 30k total at least.

Yeah, new shipment on Amazon is on 23rd, and I think it could do even better than 30k, I foresee legs, possibly. Ehi, didn't you have to see Rhythm Thief, Pan...Beyond the Labyrinth, and something else?

Come on, we want the DCharlie Vindicated's Report!

Fess

Which are? What games are likely to sell even decent numbers in Japan?
No idea, they don't interest me so I can't guess their potential. There are lots of games that look very japanese though, I counted to 17 games that didn't have the typical western graphical style. Check the thread yourself. There are pics and trailers for most games. (Edit: lots of trailers don't seem to be up anymore though)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445374

Takao

Banned
Yeah, new shipment on Amazon is on 23rd, and I think it could do even better than 30k, I foresee legs, possibly.!

When was the last time a single player niche horror title had legs? You'd probably have to go back to PS1 or something.

No idea, they don't interest me so I can't guess their potential. There are lots of games that look very japanese though, I counted to 17 games that didn't have the typical western graphical style. Check the thread yourself. There are pics and trailers for most games. (Edit: lots of trailers don't seem to be up anymore though)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445374

All right, since I am interested in both the Vita's Japanese games and Sales-Age, I will tell you now that none, I repeat, none of the games listed in the OP of the thread are known to have killer-app power.

Those games are not going to boost the Vita's sales by any appreciable degree.

ugoo18

Sure there are no Mario Kart and Super Mario there. But from the look of it in that Vita 2011-2012 thread there are games in just about every genre, I just went through a whole bunch of trailers and found lots of games I'd like to play, so I don't see why all those games together wouldn't make the Vita a must have system.

I don't know what they like to play in Japan but here's a quick list of games that should at least peak the interest in western gamers

Uncharted
Wipeout 2048
Street Fighter X Tekken
Virtua Tennis 4
LittleBigPlanet
Dragon's Crown
Lumines
Ruin
Super Stardust Delta
Rayman Origins
Resistance
Escape Plan
Silent Hill
Super Monkey Ball
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Motorstorm RC

I love my 3DS but I would not be able to make a list like that for the 3DS. Not even close, right now I'm playing more DS games on my 3DS than 3DS games. So like I said, I think the Vita will sell more than the 3DS in the west. The battle of Japan might be tougher but a system is not doomed just because it won't sell in Japan. Look at the 360, and I don't think the Vita will fail that bad in Japan.

3DS 2012 that i know of so far

Resident Evil Revelations
Paper Mario (System Seller)
Kid Icarus (System Seller)
Luigi's Mansion (System Seller)
Fire Emblem
MGS3D
MH4 (Japanese Super System Seller)
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Crush 3D
Tekken
Mario Tennis
Final Fantasy Theaterhythm
Layton VS. Ace Attorney
Beyond The Labryinth
Animal Crossing (System Seller)
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Heroes of Ruin
Dynasty Warriors Vs
Rune Factory 4
Rayman Origins 3DS
Dragon Quest 3DS

Takao

Banned
3DS 2012

Fire Emblem
MGS3D
Crush 3D
Tekken
Mario Tennis
Layton VS. Ace Attorney
Beyond The Labryinth
Animal Crossing
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Heroes of Ruin
Dynasty Warriors Vs
Rune Factory 4
Rayman Origins 3DS
Dragon Quest 3DS

Don't make me laugh with the bolded. 3DS may get a bump with their release, but those are not system sellers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Don't make me laugh with the bolded. 3DS may get a bump with their release, but those are not system sellers.

Games that potentially can sell + half a million like Paper Mario are system sellers in my book. Same as classic revived IPs like Kid Icarus, especially since it was the first 3DS game to be unveiled and its developed by Sakurai.

Those games arent MH, DQ or Pokemon - but in combination with already released system seller they`ll make sure that the system keeps selling on high level.

But the list is worthless with Rayman Origins, Crush 3D and Co.

ugoo18

Luigi's Mansion is the 5th highest selling GCN game in the US (2.19 million)

The top 5 being SSBM, MKDD, SMS, WW and Luigi's mansion

Super Paper Mario in 1 year (2007 release to same time 2008) sold approximately 2.28 million copies.

Kid Icarus the game that was meant to be the 3DS' Avatar isn't a system seller -_- right ok

Those 3 games combined will still do better than nearly all those Vita games listed as having western appeal.

Takao

Banned
Games that potentially can sell + half a million like Paper Mario are system sellers in my book. Same as classic revived IPs like Kid Icarus, especially since it was the first 3DS game to be unveiled and its developed by Sakurai.

Those games arent MH, DQ or Pokemon - but in combination with already released system seller they`ll make sure that the system keeps selling on high level.

But the list is worthless with Rayman Origins, Crush 3D and Co.

With Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart already being on 3DS I don't think the effect of those latter Mario spinoffs will have as large an effect on hardware as they would if they came prior to those 2. I doubt there is some large contingent of owners who are solely a fan of Luigi's Mansion and no other Mario game for example.

As I said before. I don't expect Kid Icarus to do anything good. But I might be projecting my own bias towards it. (I think it looks like trash and is a serious misuse of talent)

Luigi's Mansion is the 5th highest selling GCN game in the US (2.19 million)

The top 5 being SSBM, MKDD, SMS, WW and Luigi's mansion

Super Paper Mario in 1 year (2007 release to same time 2008) sold approximately 2.28 million copies.

Kid Icarus the game that was meant to be the 3DS' Avatar isn't a system seller -_- right ok

Those 3 games combined will still do better than nearly all those Vita games listed as having western appeal.

You can read the above.

I do agree that Kid Icarus appears to be the 3DS's Avatar in that it's a shallow uninspired product from people who should do much better.

AniHawk

Fire Emblem
MGS3D
Crush 3D
Tekken
Mario Tennis
Layton VS. Ace Attorney
Beyond The Labryinth
Animal Crossing (System Seller)
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Heroes of Ruin
Dynasty Warriors Vs
Rune Factory 4
Rayman Origins 3DS
Dragon Quest 3DS

never saw it all listed out like that. god damn that's a lot of rpgs. even if only one or two sell well (dqm and kh3d are probably the only ones guaranteed to do this), they're doing their best to build that fanbase early on.

Mpl90

When was the last time a single player niche horror title had legs? You'd probably have to go back to PS1 or something.

Well, it's something particular, this time: made in order to use AR, with the booklet, price budget...it could have some legs. It COULD, it isn't sure it will have.

But yeah, Paper Mario won't be a system seller, neither Luigi. Both will do well, but won't be system sellers. Revelations, instead, could give a boost to 3DS for the correspondant week.

ugoo18

With Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart already being on 3DS I don't think the effect of those latter Mario spinoffs will have as large an effect on hardware as they would if they came prior to those 2. I doubt there is some large contingent of owners who are solely a fan of Luigi's Mansion and no other Mario game for example.

As I said before. I don't expect Kid Icarus to do anything good. But I might be projecting my own bias towards it. (I think it looks like trash and is a serious misuse of talent)

You can read the above.

I do agree that Kid Icarus appears to be the 3DS's Avatar in that it's a shallow uninspired product from people who should do much better.

Although i do agree about Avatar being an uninspired product I'll reserve my judgement of Kid Icarus till i try it out myself.

EDIT: Also can you explain what you mean by the bolded part?

Takao

Banned
EDIT: Also can you explain what you mean by the bolded part?

If you're interested in Luigi's Mansion, Mario Tennis, or Paper Mario that probably means you'd be interested in Mario Kart, or Mario Land, which would mean you may already own a 3DS. Mario Kart and Mario Land are the largest of the Mario series that are not named "New" so they'd gather the largest amount of that audience when they release. It's not a weird concept.

ugoo18

If you're interested in Luigi's Mansion, Mario Tennis, or Paper Mario that probably means you'd be interested in Mario Kart, or Mario Land, which would mean you may already own a 3DS.

That doesn't stop them from buying Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario or Mario Tennis. Especially since they are all significantly different games.

list

hey man nice list and all but why you gonna sleep on the teraton, and possibly the hypest game of all time: Style Savvy 2. seeing purses being added was my hypest moment in the Nintendo Direct conference.

about Vita, once Project Diva drops it will probably get a steady stream of bishoujo game ports, anime games, and other assorted visual novels; those games will be gorgeous on that screen. none of them are doing a million but it'll carve out a little niche until SECRET VITA GAME comes and saves the day.

Alrus

I don't think you can call Kid Icarus shallow... It's packed with content.

You can't call out someone making a list and then respond to it, lol.

For Sony I wouldn't call LBP a "meh" seller. It's probably their best selling series after Uncharted, and Gran Turismo this generation.

I also wouldn't call Bend a B-studio. They're better than that.

Eh you're right, guess I couldn't resist the call of the lists >.>

LBP is still a "meh" seller considering the amount of hype and marketing it got, that it sold good for Sony speaks more about the weakness of their first party outings than anything else.

And I know Bend made Syphon Filter but they haven't worked on anything significant for ages and have been relegated to making portable spin-off of series made by other studios. I don't think Sony consider them to be major at all.

Takao

Banned
That doesn't stop them from buying Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario or Mario Tennis. Especially since they are all significantly different games.

I never said those games aren't going to sell well, because they are going to sell very well. What I'm trying to say is that they're not going to shoot up hardware numbers on the week they release because a large audience for those games already own a 3DS.

Fess

The biggest problem with 3DS is that it's games has more in common with PSP games than DS games. They're 3D, often third person, racing, first person, etc, and very similar to regular console games. In other word, the 3DS is going after the same gamers as the Vita. How do you think that will go?
Sure, Nintendo games will probably keep on selling, and possibly all those games that sold well on the PSP too, like Monster Hunter for example, but I just don't see how the 3DS can keep selling more than the Vita once they both start getting the same games from the third party devs, which means that the 3DS will keep getting the inferior version.

Mpl90

hey man nice list and all but why you gonna sleep on the teraton, and possibly the hypest game of all time: Style Savvy 2. seeing purses being added was my hypest moment in the Nintendo Direct conference.

about Vita, once Project Diva drops it will probably get a steady stream of bishoujo game ports, anime games, and other assorted visual novels; those games will be gorgeous on that screen. none of them are doing a million but it'll carve out a little niche until SECRET VITA GAME comes and saves the day.

I don't understand if this post is a joke or not XD

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ehi, didn't you have to see Rhythm Thief, Pan...Beyond the Labyrinth, and something else?

Rhythm Thief is getting a really big push - most places have it displayed and out front which is fantastic.

Beyond the Labyrinth... not as such :(

i was due to get them today , then decided against, then found some cash in a pocket that i didn't know i had and decided to get them, then decided against it again! lol.

I might give it a week so i can clear a few things - as i hit Aki and other local spots pretty often, i might start collating the super-anecdotal view of what retail looks like once/twice a week (i do this informally on @dcharliejp anyways)

Takao

Banned
I don't think you can call Kid Icarus shallow... It's packed with content.

Poor wording on my part. It looks dull, like boring or shallow in scope. There's something about it that just rubs me the wrong way, it feels like it's a b-effort even though the talent behind it is much better than that. It might just be the IP, Kid Icarus isn't even a B-tier Nintendo franchise. It's like C or D-tier.

AniHawk

Poor wording on my part. It looks dull, like boring or shallow in scope. There's something about it that just rubs me the wrong way, it feels like it's a b-effort even though the talent behind it is much better than that.

i thought the same thing until i played it. the ground segments would be good if not for the atrocious camera, but it was not the boring thing the trailers make it out to be.

ugoo18

i thought the same thing until i played it. the ground segments would be good if not for the atrocious camera, but it was not the boring thing the trailers make it out to be.

I swear Nintendo trailers somehow seem to kill hype rather than build it :(

Fess

Poor wording on my part. It looks dull, like boring or shallow in scope. There's something about it that just rubs me the wrong way, it feels like it's a b-effort even though the talent behind it is much better than that. It might just be the IP, Kid Icarus isn't even a B-tier Nintendo franchise. It's like C or D-tier.
The problem with it is that it looks more like Space Harrier than Kid Icarus. They should've let Retro make a side scrolling Kid Icarus Returns instead.

Top Bottom