• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2012 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

No, it's from Gung-Ho. Developed by Game Arts.

Sony, I am disappoint. They've spent so much effort trying to replicate Halo's success in the west that they forgot to try to shore up the home front. It's like they assumed Japan will always buy their hardware no matter what.

It's two generations too late to be arrogant.

duckroll

While we're throwing around numbers, how well have comparable Monster Hunter clones done? The series seems so dependent on local multi that you only invest in the ecosystem everyone else is invested in.

Phantasy Star Portable - 671,079
Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 589,933
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - 376,534

God Eater - 634,645
God Eater Burst - 419,626

Road

Kurosaki Ichigo first noticed the 1 unit difference, but as of this week there's now a 2 unit difference between adding weekly sales and the LTD reported by 4Gamer for MH3G.

It's starting to annoy me. I don't even want to check past weekly tops because I'll probably find out that's been happening since they started posting sales in 2010.

Dalthien

Kurosaki Ichigo first noticed the 1 unit difference, but as of this week there's now a 2 unit difference between adding weekly sales and the LTD reported by 4Gamer for MH3G.

It's starting to annoy me. I don't even want to check past weekly tops because I'll probably find out that's been happening since they started posting sales in 2010.
That's been happening for years. You'll notice the same thing just this week with SM3DL, Just Dance, etc. I speculated years ago here on GAF that Media Create actually extrapolates their projections out to full decimals, but they only report whole numbers. So obviously, the decimals add up over time and cause differences with the rounded off whole numbers.

matmanx1

Phantasy Star Portable - 671,079
Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 589,933
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - 376,534

God Eater - 634,645
God Eater Burst - 419,626

Wow! Didn't realize both God Eater and PSP had topped 600k sales. Now I truly am curious if the Vita is going to see the next Phantasy Star Portable installment.

Road

That's been happening for years. You'll notice the same thing just this week with SM3DL, Just Dance, etc. I speculated years ago here on GAF that Media Create actually extrapolates their projections out to full decimals, but they only report whole numbers. So obviously, the decimals add up over time and cause differences with the rounded off whole numbers.
I never noticed until now. hehe

With software that is. I had noticed it with hardware and thought too the reason was probably on the usage of the extrapolation formula.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Wow! Didn't realize both God Eater and PSP had topped 600k sales. Now I truly am curious if the Vita is going to see the next Phantasy Star Portable installment.

God Eater 2 is coming to the PSP this year.

Gaf buys their games retail - except when you're hoarding on Steam, but that's a PC exclusive. Noone would ever buy console games online.

hahaha.
especially one with expensive (sold out) media for downloading! They probably just want to make sure they can store 16/32 gig of save files and PSP games that they downlo... oh wait! Maaaaybe people have been downloading stuff -before- Vita?!?

I think it's just an idea to have some figures out there to see exactly how things are doing or else peoples D M E and O keys are going to be f*cked.

Furoba

But surely Shenmue 3 will change the wind for Vita? Who's with me?!?!

XD

Seriously, now. There's just one game right now which sells over 500k and which still hasn't been announced for any platform: the rumoured next step in the Phantasy Star franchise, Phantasy Star Victory, rumoured to be released on Vita. Really, it's been a while since we heard news about PS brand on portables. When's Online 2 out? Probably, we'll hear more news about it after its release.

Actually gyro's + AR + 2x touchscreen would give very interesting game mechanics to a Shenmue game.

LOCK

Everything performed exactly how I thought they would do.

So sad about the Vita, but I will give it till this holiday before calling it dead. And when I mean dead I mean forever lowly second place.

freddy

Banned
I'm not sure what Sony was thinking when they removed the ability to pirate games from Vita. It was one of the biggest selling points of the PSP.

I'm not sure what Sony was thinking when they removed the ability to pirate games from Vita. It was one of the biggest selling points of the PSP.

Probably something like 'Hey, stealing games wholesale is immoral and benefits no one in the industry in the long run. We should stop giving people the chance to do it.'

Mendoza

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The fact that people would only purchase a system if they can pirate games is fucking stupid, and those who do should quit the hobby.

Anyway, it was a big for USED hardware sales.

You don't get it, do you? The incentive to pirate on portable has always been having all the games on the go instead of bulking all those UMDs.

Nevertheless it would've helped them top the media-sales chart, right?!
It's already setting the charts on fire, it's just that PSN sales ain't included

Kazerei

Banned

6Gwwl.gif

bwahahaha

Everything performed exactly how I thought they would do.

So sad about the Vita, but I will give it till this holiday before calling it dead. And when I mean dead I mean forever lowly second place.

Didn't PSP go through a similar "dead" phase before picking up eventually to modestly successful sales?

However, PSP didn't bomb so fast out of the gate I assume?

I dont know, is there any software? I dont think Uncharted is a system seller in Japan.

Erethian

Didn't PSP go through a similar "dead" phase before picking up eventually to modestly successful sales?

However, PSP didn't bomb so fast out of the gate I assume?

I dont know, is there any software? I dont think Uncharted is a system seller in Japan.

PSP never did this bad, which is why the Vita has now fallen behind the launch-aligned sales of the PSP and will continue to fall further behind.

The revival of PSP hardware sales can also be directly correlated to new releases of MH, especially when MHP2G came out.

ITA84

The PSP was revived both because of MH and because it held up until then; the base hardware was powerful enough that newer revisions could look like new handhelds with retrocompatibility; and, most of all, there was no alternative portable platform for the sort of games it had that sold after MH (at least none for which significant development effort was necessary in order to replicate them).

Vita could still pull it off without a new MH or an equivalent system-selling exclusive, but that'd require at least a slew of games that couldn't be made for the competing platforms (including cellphones) with comparable budget and sales expectations, which means something that exploits its unique hardware features, raw power, or brand recognition.

NeonZ

The difference between the PS3's and PSP's weaker phases to the Vita's current situation is that, even through them, those systems still managed to keep decent software support from third parties, which eventually allowed them to reach a point where they became viable (Well, for the PSP, only in Japan...).

So far, the Vita seems significantly weaker in that regard. For all the comments about easily porting PS3 games to it, that doesn't seem to be happening generally right now.

pixelbox

I don't know know why you guys act so shocked about the sells. People in general want bargains and that's what the 3DS is. There's an 80 dollar difference. It's really all about the price and luckly for Sony, the Vita's parts are not custom and will be in phones. So they have the wiggle room. And where's the people that claimed handhelds don't need console games. What's MH? If it weren't for the PSP MH wouldn't even be worth mentioning.

Celine

I don't know know why you guys act so shocked about the sells. People in general want bargains and that's what the 3DS is. There's an 80 dollar difference. It's really all about the price and luckly for Sony, the Vita's parts are not custom and will be in phones. So they have the wiggle room. And where's the people that claimed handhelds don't need console games. What's MH? If it weren't for the PSP MH wouldn't even be worth mentioning.
MH, as Animal Crossing, is a type of game that is greatly enhanced by local communication thus portable system are ideal target for those franchises.

In your opinion, did Sony expect such results from PSVita? Did the company forecast a very slow start while PSP selling quite well?

I imagine at some point someone at Sony woke up in the middle of the night, basically standing in his bed asking himself "What the fuck are we even doing here?".
I'm sure the expectations were just modest if Sony has any footing in reality, but I don't think these expectations could've possibly been as low as the Vita is selling right now. Otherwise you would have to wonder why they even bother releasing a system that virtually nobody is interested in at this point.

Fess

Looking at this thread...
The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012
...makes me think that all this talk about Vita not having or not getting games that will sell in the near future is complete nonsense.

The future of the Vita is NOT as grim as some of you may think. Look in that thread. If none of the games in that thread will make the Vita sell then nothing will.
Those game + a price cut before western launch will make the Vita fly off the shelves in 2012, I even predict that the Vita will sell better than the 3DS in the west.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
...makes me think that all this talk about Vita not having or not getting games that will sell in the near future is complete nonsense.

The discussion is about system-selling titles aka. big IPs which need or should be exclusive to the Vita. There are great games coming, but some some HD ports and Sonys first party titles wont convince the mainstream to spend +30K Yen for a Vita and a game.

Takao

Banned

The future of the Vita is NOT as grim as some of you may think. Look in that thread. If none of the games in that thread will make the Vita sell then nothing will.
Those game + a price cut before western launch will make the Vita fly off the shelves in 2012, I even predict that the Vita will sell better than the 3DS in the west.

Large amount of games =/ marketable games

I love Falcom games, but those are going to struggle to hit 100k. I enjoy LBP, but that's not going to do huge numbers, etc.

Vita's entire catalog is more or less composed of either western dudebro games Japan isn't going to care about, or niche B/C tier stuff that well, Japan doesn't care about. Like I said earlier, they're going to need games in the vein of a real Tales, Yakuza, Gundam Vs., Miku, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, etc. to push hardware.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
Maaaaybe people have been downloading stuff -before- Vita?!?
Yes, the free backups were always popular.

I think it's just an idea to have some figures out there to see exactly how things are doing or else peoples D M E and O keys are going to be f*cked.
The internet always struck me as a split-personality on this topic, people simultaneously bash retail and seem to panic at the thought of retail not dominating.

mclem

it's probably going to do just fine. if the ds, 3ds, ps3, and psp could all return from the dead, i'm sure the vita can too.

DS? I can see the argument for the others, but not sure about that one. Admittedly there was a period of time before it *really* took off, but I'm not sure if it could be classed as 'dead' prior to that.

Fess

Sure there are no Mario Kart and Super Mario there. But from the look of it in that Vita 2011-2012 thread there are games in just about every genre, I just went through a whole bunch of trailers and found lots of games I'd like to play, so I don't see why all those games together wouldn't make the Vita a must have system.

I don't know what they like to play in Japan but here's a quick list of games that should at least peak the interest in western gamers

Uncharted
Wipeout 2048
Street Fighter X Tekken
Virtua Tennis 4
LittleBigPlanet
Dragon's Crown
Lumines
Ruin
Super Stardust Delta
Rayman Origins
Resistance
Escape Plan
Silent Hill
Super Monkey Ball
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Motorstorm RC

I love my 3DS but I would not be able to make a list like that for the 3DS. Not even close, right now I'm playing more DS games on my 3DS than 3DS games. So like I said, I think the Vita will sell more than the 3DS in the west. The battle of Japan might be tougher but a system is not doomed just because it won't sell in Japan. Look at the 360, and I don't think the Vita will fail that bad in Japan.

This is a Japanese sales thread so people are really just concentrating on that. The list you just posted will be lucky to have a single game sell 200K copies. They really need some bigger titles than that.

Actually even in the west i don't see most of those games selling all that well. I don't think they will bomb or anything but there aren't any real big sellers (there are other announced games which will probably sell more though).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Thing is MK and 3D Land alone will or already sold more than all those titles you have listed will sell combined in Japan, its a sales discussion, it doesnt mean that Vita wont have any games which will be worth your time and cant be enjoyed.

List Wars wont change the fact that Vita is in need of bigger games which have impact on hw sales.

So like I said, I think the Vita will sell more than the 3DS in the west. The battle of Japan might be tougher but a system is not doomed just because it won't sell in Japan. Look at the 360, and I don't think the Vita will fail that bad in Japan.

LOL Based on THAT line-up you posted? There isn't a single game there that can drive hardware sales in any meaningful way.

Anyway these threads tend to focus on Japanese sales.

AniHawk

DS? I can see the argument for the others, but not sure about that one. Admittedly there was a period of time before it *really* took off, but I'm not sure if it could be classed as 'dead' prior to that.

well i'm kinda cheating here since it was more dead in the us than it was in japan early on. it sold 59k one month in the states (so less than 15k a week), and was often doing so poorly that nintendo would only release numbers for the gba and the ds as a sort of package deal. the only other system around that time that was doing that poorly was the gamecube.

Fess

This is a Japanese sales thread so people are really just concentrating on that. The list you just posted will be lucky to have a single game sell 200K copies. They really need some bigger titles than that.

Actually even in the west i don't see most of those games selling all that well. I don't think they will bomb or anything but there aren't any real big sellers (there are other announced games which will probably sell more though).
Okay but the Vita is doooomed talk probably isn't just about Japan either. And what type of title do you think it need to not fail? GTA5?
I just think everyone is overreacting here, personally I think the price is the biggest problem the Vita has, the game library won't be a problem.

Alrus

Sure there are no Mario Kart and Super Mario there. But from the look of it in that Vita 2011-2012 thread there are games in just about every genre, I just went through a whole bunch of trailers and found lots of games I'd like to play, so I don't see why all those games together wouldn't make the Vita a must have system.

I don't know what they like to play in Japan but here's a quick list of games that should at least peak the interest in western gamers

Uncharted Nice launch title for the west, done by a Sony B-tier studio, as with all their portable game, which will hurt it in the long run.
Wipeout 2048 Won't sell anything significant
Street Fighter X Tekken Not exclusive, won't sell hardware
Virtua Tennis 4 Same
LittleBigPlanet Sold meh on the PS3 and PSP, certainly didn't help selling too many system
Dragon's Crown Incredibly niche art style, not exclusive
Lumines Good game but won't sell much
Ruin No idea
Super Stardust Delta Is this a retail sequel to a PSN game? Doubt it will light charts on fire even though it's probably good
Rayman Origins Late port that's also coming to the 3DS and lose one of its key element -multiplayer in the process-
Resistance Resistance never sold well, this one looks like shit, again done by a B tier sony studio because god forbid their AAA studios would work on a shitty handheld...
Escape Plan Looks interesting, no idea about potential
Silent Hill Won't sell
Super Monkey Ball Won't sell anything significant
Ninja Gaiden Sigma A port of a port, yeah!
Motorstorm RC Not exclusive

I love my 3DS but I would not be able to make a list like that for the 3DS. Not even close, right now I'm playing more DS games on my 3DS than 3DS games. So like I said, I think the Vita will sell more than the 3DS in the west. The battle of Japan might be tougher but a system is not doomed just because it won't sell in Japan. Look at the 360, and I don't think the Vita will fail that bad in Japan.

Lists? Really? Barring the fact that you're in a Japanese sales thread, I'll put some thought on the titles in bold.

Uncharted
Wipeout 2048
Street Fighter X Tekken
Virtua Tennis 4
LittleBigPlanet
Dragon's Crown
Lumines
Ruin
Super Stardust Delta
Rayman Origins
Resistance
Escape Plan
Silent Hill
Super Monkey Ball
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Motorstorm RC

Perhaps on that list there is a game that will become a system seller (difficult to predict, some phenomena come from nowhere), but I'd say that Uncharted will be the more attractive (and sold) game in the West. Sales-wise, this line-up is horrible in Japan though.

Uncharted
Wipeout 2048
Street Fighter X Tekken
Virtua Tennis 4
LittleBigPlanet
Dragon's Crown
Lumines
Ruin
Super Stardust Delta
Rayman Origins
Resistance
Escape Plan
Silent Hill
Super Monkey Ball
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Motorstorm RC

Mario Kart sold 1 million in December in the US. I doubt that any game on your list will do 1 million total in the US, let alone a million in a month. Having a large number of mediocre selling games doesn't sell hardware.

Kenka

My sentiment is that MC thread have almost never been this fun. I am drowning in sales-age orgasm in here, guys. I don't wanna draw you in a meaningless conversation in the next 6 pages by saying this but I think that this thread can grow bigger than the very NPD December one.

The two important things that will be discussed in these next three months will be 3DS' ability to sustain strong hardware and software sales (reference being the DS in the same period of its life) and PSVita not deeping below 9000 (Vegeta references will be used, trust me). And that is one hell of a fine marmelade for my sales-age bread.

GDGF

Soothsayer
My sentiment is that MC thread have almost never been this fun. I am drowning in sales-age orgasm in here, guys. I don't wanna draw you in a meaningless conversation in the next 6 pages by saying this but I think that this thread can grow bigger than the very NPD December one.

The two important things that will be discussed in these next three months will be 3DS' ability to sustain strong hardware and software sales (reference being the DS in the same period of its life) and PSVita not deeping below 9000 (Vegeta references will be used, trust me). And that is one hell of a fine marmelade for my sales-age bread.

So judging by your avatar, you're hungry like the wolf for more sales data.

Fess

Perhaps on that list there is a game that will become a system seller (difficult to predict, some phenomena come from nowhere), but I'd say that Uncharted will be the more attractive (and sold) game in the West. Sales-wise, this line-up is horrible in Japan though.
I only listed westen type of games, if you look in that Vita thread you'll see that there are lots of games that cater to the japanese gamers too.

Top Bottom