• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2011 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Souldriver said:
Oh god, those charts. I remember them being ridiculous, but I still gasped when clicking that thread.

Those charts were ridiculous. Another thing that stood out was that the thread had over 2000 posts. Things seem to have gotten a little more quiet in here.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
AdventureRacing said:
Those charts were ridiculous. Another thing that stood out was that the thread had over 2000 posts. Things seem to have gotten a little more quiet in here.
2000 posts? Only 1 or 2 threads achieved that.

Nintendo's most shortsighted decision, imho, was giving PSP a lot of room to breath, whether it was caused by killing DS too fast or launching 3DS at a very high price; I believe the main reason that 3DS is not getting games, is PSP getting games, because in terms of hardware capability they are almost the same and if PSP hadn't this much steam in it, a lot of games would have most probably been released for 3DS as the natural successor of DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We' ve said these before but PSP being stronger than ever and getting many new games week after week (even if the big hits are done with the system - except maybe MHP3G) isn't a threat only for 3DS but for Vita. Nintendo has big responsibilitty for this rise of PSP for killing DS so early.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
walking fiend said:
Nintendo's most shortsighted decision, imho, was giving PSP a lot of room to breath, whether it was caused by killing DS too fast or launching 3DS at a very high price; I believe the main reason that 3DS is not getting games, is PSP getting games, because in terms of hardware capability they are almost the same and if PSP hadn't this much steam in it, a lot of games would have most probably been released for 3DS as the natural successor of DS.

This is true: with the premature death of DS, developers have started working on PSP more, and there have been some series which has abandoned DS, like 7thDragon,Digimon and Taiko... but if I remember correctly most of the main 2011 releases for PSP have been games belonging to series already on PSP, such as Dissidia, KHBbs, Gundam, and others.
But there's no doubt that PSP has attracted more games than ever due to DS dying.
However, 3DS is starting getting games: some new episodes of series already on DS ( Rune Factory 4, Crayon, Nicola Stylist, Inazuma Go), games from series not present on DS ( BlazBlue, Class of Heroes )... announcements are coming, but certainly not in massive quantities due to a PSP at its maximum.
Unfortunately, this is the risk when you follow a strategy like Nintendo's one.
But this PSP, as said by Chris, can be dangerous even MORE ( IMHO ) for Vita, because Vita hasn't backcompability.

Mpl90 said:
This is true: with the premature death of DS, developers have started working on PSP more, and there have been some series which has abandoned DS, like 7thDragon,Digimon and Taiko... but if I remember correctly most of the main 2011 releases for PSP have been games belonging to series already on PSP, such as Dissidia, KHBbs, Gundam, and others.
But there's no doubt that PSP has attracted more games than ever due to DS dying.
However, 3DS is starting getting games: some new episodes of series already on DS ( Rune Factory 4, Crayon, Nicola Stylist, Inazuma Go), games from series not present on DS ( BlazBlue, Class of Heroes )... announcements are coming, but certainly not in massive quantities due to a PSP at its maximum.
But this PSP, as said by Chris, can be dangerous even MORE ( IMHO ) for Vita, because Vita hasn't back backcompability.

thats new for me

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Truth101 said:
It does, but only for PSN games. No UMDs as it doesn't have a UMD slot.

I think he was talking about "back backcompability" xD

test_account

XP-39C²
Generally speaking, how important is backward compability in Japan? I'm sure that it can be nice to have, but is it a big deciding factor when buying a new system? I would think that most people care about the new content instead.

Mpl90 said:
, and there have been some series which has abandoned DS, like 7thDragon,Digimon and Taiko...

There's a problem with this theory though: games are not developed in 6 months, people saw MHP2G taking off to such a sucess and started developing games for psp, I'd take it more to do with that then with a poor 3ds launch.

Mpl90 said:
This is true: with the premature death of DS, developers have started working on PSP more, and there have been some series which has abandoned DS, like 7thDragon,Digimon and Taiko...

Taiko Drum Master has not just leave the DS, but simply exploit console potential with two of the highest entry in the series (which I don't think they'll be reached by the last PSP episode) and a third less-successful entry, anyway able to pull high numbers.

M3d10n

test_account said:
Generally speaking, how important is backward compability in Japan? I'm sure that it can be nice to have, but is it a big deciding factor when buying a new system? I would think that most people care about the new content instead.
BC is not meant for new customers, it's meant for old customers. Owners of the last gen hardware are able to trade-in/resell their old console when buying the new one. But obviously, the new console needs at least a few games they are interested in playing.

test_account

XP-39C²
M3d10n said:
BC is not meant for new customers, it's meant for old customers. Owners of the last gen hardware are able to trade-in/resell their old console when buying the new one. But obviously, the new console needs at least a few games they are interested in playing.
Indeed, i was actually thinking mostly about old consumers :) I.e, people who owns a DS and/or a PSP now, when these people buy a 3DS or a PS Vita, i assume that they are mostly interested in the new stuff that is offered. When PS Vita comes out, i will buy it because of what it offers, i wont buy it to play PSP games on it (i will try it, but that isnt the reason for why i will buy a PS Vita). Dont get me wrong, backward compability can be nice to have of course, but i just wonder how big of a factor it is regarding purchase decition.

How much backward compability matters is of course a very subjetive thing, but i'm mostly thinking in general.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
There's a problem with this theory though: games are not developed in 6 months, people saw MHP2G taking off to such a sucess and started developing games for psp, I'd take it more to do with that then with a poor 3ds launch.
It also possibly coincides with Sony making the PSP cheaper to develop for via SDK price cuts and what not.

Rolf NB

M3d10n said:
No, a compatible successor can also be sold as a premium version to customers originally interested in the old thing. Namely, a PS Vita is a PSP with (I hope) background downloads, a bigger and more vibrant screen, and a much improved "nub" replacement. Plus it also plays all these new Vita games which the old PSP can't. And so a customer who wants to buy a PSP next year for its last hurrah games plus library can be upsold to a Vita.

walking fiend said:

Well, the DS was already losing support, quite a bit before the 3DS was announced. It was thanks to the explosion of Monster Hunter Portable that made the PSP a valid competitor to the DS again. What could Nintendo have done about that? They couldn't get Monster Hunter on the DS because the hardware wasn't capable of running the game.

Oh and the 3DS is much more powerful than the PSP. If developers wanted to port their PSP games to the 3DS, it would be a cinch to do so. I don't think that the 3DS being the natural successor to the DS really means anything. It's a different matter that is holding back PSP ports here (budget, userbase size, perceived userbase difference or even loyalty to Sony are all possible reasons)

donny2112

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
people saw MHP2G taking off to such a sucess and started developing games for psp, I'd take it more to do with that then with a poor 3ds launch.

Developing games for PSP is one thing. Developing games for PSP and not for DS is another. A striking way to read this theory is that at the first sign of a big hit on a non-Nintendo platform, third-parties almost immediately dumped the Nintendo platform in favor of the non-Nintendo one, regardless of the fact that the Nintendo one was smashing Japanese sales records all over the place.

This is a worrisome theory, as it predicts that Nintendo cannot get an advantage over a competitor for third-parties in a fair fight (or maybe that the fight wasn't "fair" in the sense that Nintendo continued its "we sell the hardware; our part's done" mantra and the competitor followed the "normal for the rest of the industry" practice of convincing third-parties to jump on-board; However, this theory is also very lacking in that Sony did not seem to go to great public lengths to push the PSP, since it was dead in 2/3 major territories, which leads to an even more troublesome concept in that publishers would rather make games for non-Nintendo systems even with all else being equal or even tilted in the Nintendo system's favor).

Taking another perspective on it, maybe developers were expecting a DS successor sooner, and so wound down development in preparation. This also has the problem in that they didn't do this with PS2 (though, as oft repeated, PS2 was the best platform for third-parties in history by a long shot), and this doesn't explain the PSP continued development, unless they just were taking what they were doing for PS2 and brought it to PSP instead. After all, it's not like we're seeing tons of "big" games come out for PSP, either.

Maybe companies decided to throw their weight on PS360 for the worldwide tilt and decided not to pursue the "smaller" yields of big handheld games, resulting in many "small" Japanese games being made for PSP that wouldn't sell on PS360, anyways. In this case the ease of PS2 to PSP porting would've favored PSP over remaking a game from scratch for the DS. In which case, PSP's current *ahem* "success" would not be something that would easily translate to either 3DS or PSVita.

A PS360 for big games (with maybe the added bonus of worldwide appeal) and PSP games using PS2 development styles for smaller games ecosystem crowding out DS development and maybe playing into slower uptake on 3DS development? PSVita being easily portable from PS3 could help it get the quantity of games via PS3 porting/non-greenlit PS3-type projects, if not the unique handheld-specific games.

Huh?

LOCK

Well one thing to consider is aging technology when it comes to DS to PSP support. Maybe the price to develope games for the PSP decreased to DS levels without having to use as old development technology.

This is all opinion and guesses really on my part.

donny2112 said:
This is a worrisome theory, as it predicts that Nintendo cannot get an advantage over a competitor for third-parties in a fair fight (or maybe that the fight wasn't "fair" in the sense that Nintendo continued its "we sell the hardware; our part's done" mantra and the competitor followed the "normal for the rest of the industry" practice of convincing third-parties to jump on-board; However, this theory is also very lacking in that Sony did not seem to go to great public lengths to push the PSP, since it was dead in 2/3 major territories, which leads to an even more troublesome concept in that publishers would rather make games for non-Nintendo systems even with all else being equal or even tilted in the Nintendo system's favor).
Small third parties have told Nintendo exactly what they want. Here's the relevant thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23621978

If the playing field doesn't appear level, it's not due to just a simple anti-Nintendo bias.

Lance Bone Path said:
Small third parties have told Nintendo exactly what they want. Here's the relevant thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23621978

If the playing field doesn't appear level, it's not due to just a simple anti-Nintendo bias.
These are things that only affect small publishers/developers. What Donny and the majority of people refer to when speaking about 3rd parties are the major developers/publishers. Most smaller 3rd parties will flock to wherever the big 3rd party games are regardless of policies due to bigger sales potential. As for the DS things were heavily skewed in favor of Nintendo. I can understand smaller Japanese publisher/developers to support PSP due to MH and its policies. However, there was considerable amount of time, money and major titles thrown for the PSP by major 3rd parties that would've never had happened if Nintendo and Sony's positions were reversed.

With that said, yes Nintendo should change some of these policies that are leftover from the NES-N64 era and some are really outdated. However, in regards to sales and 3rd party support these policies won't make a significant change in major 3rd party relations.

Lord_Byron28 said:
These are things that only affect small publishers/developers. What Donny and the majority of people refer to when speaking about 3rd parties are the major developers/publishers. Most smaller 3rd parties will flock to wherever the big 3rd party games are regardless of policies due to bigger sales potential. As for the DS things were heavily skewed in favor of Nintendo. I can understand smaller Japanese publisher/developers to support PSP due to MH and its policies. However, there was considerable amount of time, money and major titles thrown for the PSP by major 3rd parties that would've never had happened if Nintendo and Sony's positions were reversed.

With that said, yes Nintendo should change some of these policies that are leftover from the NES-N64 era and some are really outdated. However, in regards to sales and 3rd party support these policies won't make a significant change in major 3rd party relations.
3rd party relations definitely have a certain effect on the ecosystem. Although MS has been schizo wrt Japan, 360 dev support in Japan had been somewhat out of proportion with the system's popularity.

Mpl90 said:
But this PSP, as said by Chris, can be dangerous even MORE ( IMHO ) for Vita, because Vita hasn't backcompability.

What? If those games were released on PSP it was because they were always planned for the PSP. You act like they made the decision to develop them on the PSP INSTEAD of the 3DS when in reality, the most likely case is that they were always planned for the PSP. Despite the 3DS being the new system the PSP still has a far larger fanbase and is technologically superior to the DS. If PSP games are still being made it's for that reason. PSP isn't getting any more games than it did before. DS is just getting less and 3DS is still in it's infancy so it makes it appear that the PSP is all of a sudden getting more than before

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Zoramon089 said:
PSP isn't getting any more games than it did before. DS is just getting less and 3DS is still in it's infancy so it makes it appear that the PSP is all of a sudden getting more than before
Wrong. PSP support has increased drastically last 2 years.

Chris1964 said:
Wrong. PSP support has increased drastically last 2 years.

True.
The only problems in this idilliac situation is the lack of new successful IPs (there are few, Gode Eater and Little Battle Xperience but nothing compared to PS2 or DS) and the lack of successful title which are able to sell between Square Enix games and Monster Hunter; Monster Hunter sells gangbusters, Square Enix games are at barely one million but there are no games in between, even though there are a lot games in the 200-400k range.

Takao

Banned
electroplankton said:
True.
The only problems in this idilliac situation is the lack of new successful IPs (there are few, Gode Eater and Little Battle Xperience but nothing compared to PS2 or DS) and the lack of successful title which are able to sell between Square Enix games and Monster Hunter; Monster Hunter sells gangbusters, Square Enix games are at barely one million but there are no games in between, even though there are a lot games in the 200-400k range.

Phantasy Star Portable

Is like the only exception.

Takao

Banned
test_account said:
Sorry, my mistake. I thought that you just ment games that were over 400k beside Square Enix and Monster Hunter games =)

Yeah, that's how I read his comment as well, haha.

Prediction League (September 5 - 11)
- Any title missing MC Top20 will be taken out of the predictions.
- Deadline is Wednesday 7th when Famitsu Top10 is posted for the August 29 - September 4 week.
- New, limited PS3 HW bundle "Tales of Xillia X Edition" is released on Thursday 8th.

[PS3] Hardware (SCE) -
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) -
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) -
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) -

[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 53.000
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 420.000
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 40.000
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 25.000

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 45.678
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 378.901
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 43.210
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 21.098

French

Banned
[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 47.000
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 400.000
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 40.000
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 20.000

BKK

[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 60.000
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 350.000
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 80.000
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 45.000

noobie

Banned
[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 43K
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 435K
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 45K
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 21K

[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 56K
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 525K
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 52K
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 16K

[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 55,555
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 444,444
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 55,555
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 22,222

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
[PS3] Hardware (SCE) - 60K
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) - 650K
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revival Selection (Capcom) - 75K
[PS3] Resistance 3 (SCE) - 15K

Top Bottom