• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2013 (Aug 26 - Sep 01)

Vita TV could really hurt Vita long term. If your content with playing at home its half the price and you can do everything the vita can.

That said im not surprised though.Sony is in money mode now. Vita being made cheaper to maximize profits and TV version is all about selling old games for maximum profit.

vita tv is a vita lol, how can it hurt itself?

Vita TV could really hurt Vita long term. If your content with playing at home its half the price and you can do everything the vita can.

That said im not surprised though.Sony is in money mode now. Vita being made cheaper to maximize profits and TV version is all about selling old games for maximum profit.

I don't see how it could hurt Vita: surely, it's absolutely possible that is going to erode part of the Vita hardware sales, but, if it sell well, is going to attract more developers to the Vita, meaning a more healthy state. By the way, I think is quite possible that the margin of profit of Sony on the hardware are better for this VitaTV that for the actual portable

TasTokyo

I haven't see it, 'cause my stream didn't function most of the time, but wasn't someone in this thread saying that Sega annunced that Yakuza is going to be a launch title, too?

RgG Ishin in his post is Ryu ga Gotoku. The Japanese title. So it's there just hard to find.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is PS4 41,979 Yen or 39,980? I suppose 41,979, since that's the total with taxes included, no?

Still, here's the PS4 launch lineup

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Totemo E Mahjong Plus (ASW)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] FIFA 14 (Electronic Arts)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Natural Doctrine (Kadokawa Shoten)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Strider (Capcom)*
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Extreme Legends (Koei Tecmo)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Square Enix)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: A Real Reborn - Beta (Square Enix)*
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Yakuza Ishin (Sega)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall (SCE)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Doki-Doki Universe (SCE)**
{2014-02-22} [PS4] DRIVECLUB (SCE)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Knack (SCE)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Hohokum (SCE)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Resogun (SCE)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Dream Club: Hosts Girls on Stage (D3 Publisher)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku (Hamster)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)

*=Undecided
**=Free to play
***=Digital only
Infamous: Second Son is listed for Spring.

javac

Doubt this will be known but Vita TV will count as its own SKU on the sales breakdown right? I wonder if the Vita TV will be seen as pro-handheld or not? It's getting the Vita a bigger userbase and software sales but it's not really a handheld :p

At first I thought that was a lacklustre lineup for PS4 but then I saw Yakuza Ishin.
Doubt this will be known but Vita TV will count as its own SKU on the sales breakdown right? I wonder if the Vita TV will be seen as pro-handheld or not? It's getting the Vita a bigger userbase and software sales but it's not really a handheld :p
It's basically a modern kind of super Game Boy, I guess?

You nailed it. I think similar thing existed for GBA and GC.
Yeah there was the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player. Neither hurt the handhelds so I'm not sure why people suggesting that for the Vita TV. Though I guess with those you had to own a console to use them.

Kinda-sorta I guess :p
Always wanted to compliment you on your awesome Avatar :)

Thank you. I do love me some Studio Ghibli.
And I am sad about Miyazaki retiring from directing

DrWong

Regarding PS4 launch - bad news to not be able to launch this year but without the right softwarse it's wise to wait - Yakuza is the only real "system seller" right now but the game will also be avalaible on PS3 so I'm not sure it will move so many units. The PS4 only launch games are not so hot for the Jp market. Am I wrong ?

Also, this delayed PS4 Jp launch remove some pressure on Nintendo and the Wii U.

Mpl90

So, looking at the lineup, outside of Sony's first party offering (and Knack is probably the only one that can be considered "relevant" in Japan), there's no retail PS4 exclusive title. Yakuza is also on PS3, Dynasty Warriors 8 with Extreme Legends is a late port, and it'll be released with the combined SKU only, much later than on PS3 and Vita, Natural Doctrine is PS3/PS4/Vita, FFXIV is a late port and, then, all the Western titles. Dream Club is a download title too... Eh, it doesn't seem that strong to me, especially with a console going for 39, if not 41k yen.

Is PS4 41,979 Yen or 39,980? I suppose 41,979, since that's the total with taxes included, no?

{2014-02-22} [PS4] Totemo E Mahjong Plus (ASW)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Hohokum (SCE)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Resogun (SCE)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Dream Club: Hosts Girls on Stage (D3 Publisher)***
{2014-02-22} [PS4] Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku (Hamster)***

*=Undecided
**=Free to play
***=Digital only
Infamous: Second Son is listed for Spring.

Looks pretty good to me

Two bigger hitters in Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors, FF MMO which just sold almostj 200k, all the bigger popular in Japan western franchises.

Rest will depend on what get's released as follow up in next months.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, Sony will release two new consoles within a few months, I wonder which one will be more successful ^^?

So, looking at the lineup, outside of Sony's first party offering (and Knack is probably the only one that can be considered "relevant" in Japan), there's no retail PS4 exclusive title.
But that's true in the U.S. as well, isn't it? And there Sony will have to deal with a far stronger Microsoft than in Japan. Yet no one thinks the PS4 is going to tank in the States.

The problem isn't exclusives, it's games the Japanese want period. If they're popular enough, also being on PS3 won't kill them dead on PS4 (any more than PSP versions always kill PSV ones). But the overall lineup isn't terribly strong. Knack isn't the only game that'll the Japanese will want, but the third-party titles that are enormous in the West (CoD, AC, Battlefield, FIFA) are only "pretty good" in Japan.

*=Undecided
**=Free to play

Deleted the digital only titles for this purpose, but the Wii U launch line-up for comparison.

-Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. (Capcom)
-Musou Orochi 2 Hyper (Koei Tecmo)
-Mass Effect 3 (EA)
-Fifa 2013 (EA)
-Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition (WB)
-Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Koei Tecmo)
-Nintendo Land (Nintendo)
-New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
-Assassain's Creed III (Ubisoft)
-Zombi U (Ubisoft)
-Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Namco Bandai)

14 (PS4) vs. 11 (Wii U)

EDIT: if FFXIV is a beta-only thing, does that mean it'll be download-only?

NotLiquid

Deleted the digital only titles for this purpose, but the Wii U launch line-up for comparison.

-Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. (Capcom)
-Musou Orochi 2 Hyper (Koei Tecmo)
-Mass Effect 3 (EA)
-Fifa 2013 (EA)
-Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition (WB)
-Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Koei Tecmo)
-Nintendo Land (Nintendo)
-New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
-Assassain's Creed III (Ubisoft)
-Zombi U (Ubisoft)
-Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Namco Bandai)

14 (PS4) vs. 11 (Wii U)

EDIT: if FFXIV is a beta-only thing, does that mean it'll be download-only?

So I guess the apt comparison here is basically MH3U vs. Yakuza.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ironically I'd probably say the Wii u had a better Japan focused launch line up. Consoles in Japan are going to have a tough time... Unless Vita TV somehow manages to take off.

Japanese PS Vita launch lineup for comparison:

• BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Plus
  • Browser Sangokushi Touch Battle
  • Project N.O.E.L.S.
  • Fish On
  • Dynasty Warriors Musou Next
  • Shinobido II
  • Power Smash 4
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Hot Shots Golf 6
  • F1 2011
  • Dream Club
  • Disgaea 3: Return
  • Katamari no Biita
  • Shin Kamaitacho no Yoru
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Yuusha no Kiroku (turns your calendar into a RPG game)
  • Dark Quest
  • Lord of the Apocalypse
  • Michael Jackson Experience HD
  • NicoNico Douga (Japan's equivalent of YouTube)
  • Sawari Makuuru
  • Ridge Racer
  • Monster Radar
  • @field
  • Minna to Issho: Friend Network
  • Army Corps of Hel

Yoshi

So I guess the apt comparison here is basically MH3U vs. Yakuza.
Yakuza is a new game, though. Monster Hunter fans already had two options to play this game earlier on (Wii, 3DS), so the situation is quite different (in favor of PS4).

Mostly dead either way?
If despite the increasingly better lineup after holiday, Wii U stays dead, it's definitely very bad news for PS4 as well; it basically just shows that the home console market in Japan is in dire situation, and who knows, maybe dedicated handheld market follows in a generation or so.

Yoshi

The apt comparison is post holiday line-up of Wii U vs PS4.

So "nothing but Mario Kart" vs PS4? Not a good situation to be in for Wii U either ;). However, Nintendo will vertainly be very happy that it will only have to fight against one new PlayStation home console (and the PS3) for another holiday, as oppsed to the PS4, too.

If despite the increasingly better lineup after holiday, Wii U stays dead, it's definitely very bad news for PS4 as well; it basically just shows that the home console market in Japan is in dire situation, and who knows, maybe dedicated handheld market follows in a generation or so.

Or it could the more likely case that people just aren't interested in the Wii U.

So "nothing but Mario Kart" vs PS4? Not a good situation to be in for Wii U either ;). However, Nintendo will vertainly be very happy that it will only have to fight against one new PlayStation home console (and the PS3) for another holiday, as oppsed to the PS4, too.

They also have Donkey Kong the can throw out in January or February.

Yoshi

Quite funny everyone always talking bout a Nintendo hybrid console and here's Sony with the Vita TV.

I imagine the new Yoshi should be ready soon after MK8.
The new Wii U Yoshi wasn't even ready enough to be shown off at E3, so I highly doubt it. Yoshis Island 3 will be out before Yoshi Yarn will release, I'd guess.

I guess we will know in 6 month time how many people buy console at launch for launch games and how many becouse it's a new console that will have amazing games in future.

Shahed

Quite funny everyone always talking bout a Nintendo hybrid console and here's Sony with the Vita TV.

Well a hybrid makes sense in a way for both of them. As a way to support a market that you just don't prioritise as much as the other.

Other than a dreamland collaboration between Sony and Nintendo, it's probably the best I'll ever get

Celine

They certainly don't have an easy path ahead, but at least they have something that resembles a path, unlike the current state of the Vita.
Indeed.
Still not sure Vita will get much western third party support, outside some odd port from PS3.

As a side note the Vita TV is the type of device I think Nintendo should succeed the Wii U with.

Cheap ($100-$150), generally powerful enough (especially by the time the Wii U's life is over), can output to a TV, and still can accept whatever peripherals they want to use with it.

They can even base their handheld on similar parts and just upclock the ones in the box a la the iPad versus the iPhone.
That was Yamauchi and Miyamoto aspiration back 7-8 years ago.
However I still see a risk in simply going for the bottom of the barrel in that you will eventually compete with Apple and its iTunes (or Amazon) on the pricing side and that's something Nintendo need to avoid (commoditization of videogames).
I still think that a desirable "gimmick" is still needed in Nintendo toys.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm really curious to see how Vita TV will sell. Its pretty much the first of its kind unless i'm forgetting something. We have had Super Gameboy, Sega Master System addon for Mega Drive/Genesis, Gameboy Advance Player for Gamecube and stuff like that, but those were all addons for excisting systems. Vita TV is a system on its own, and the price is fairly cheap as well. I guess the closest things are Sega Nomad, although a reversed situation (a handheld that plays console carts). Maybe PSP GO as well, although that was severaly limited because it didnt support physical games.

Mpl90

Pricing comparison, courtesy of StreetsAhead

PS3: 59,800 yen (20GB)/open price set by retailers(60GB)
PS4: 41,979 yen (vanilla)/46,179 (w/ PS camera) *Note Knack bundle is the same price for both models
Wii U: 26,250 (Basic), 31,500 (premium), 38,850 (MH3GHD bundle)

Mpl90

No one here is talking about Sengoku Musou 4 so far only on Vita? It's a good announcement, so out of nowhere (everyone was expecting it being on PS3/PS4, me too :lol) and, above all, it's another franchise going all out on portable for its new main entry.

Shahed

No one here is talking about Sengoku Musou 4 so far only on Vita? It's a good announcement, so out of nowhere (everyone was expecting it being on PS3/PS4, me too :lol) and, above all, it's another franchise going all out on portable for its new main entry.

It will probably come to PS3/PS4 at some point if not at the same time

I'm willing to bet other versions are annouced either on TGS or few months after it was released.

Doesn't really make sense to skip PS3 release when you have nice engine working on both.

enishi

I'm willing to bet other versions are annouced either on TGS or few months after it was released.

Doesn't really make sense to skip PS3 release when you have nice engine working on both.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/koeiinfo/20130909.htm

PS3 version already announced

タイトル
戦国無双4

対応機種
PlayStation®Vita、PlayStation®3

発売時期
2014年

Top Bottom