• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2012 (Oct 15 - Oct 21)

It looks that the users claiming for almost sure additional third party support, also from SE, to the most important console on the Japanese market were rigth.
BTW, looking back at DQ remakes on the DS, we have:

Dragon Quest IV 1,214,610
Dragon Quest V 1,190,404
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie 1,297,344

So, I imagine similar result (between 900k and 1.1 million), more or less.

(I don't know if it will really be a 3d remake or not, and how this can affect the sales)

3D remake. I say it will do signficantly more than the DS remakes considering that fact. 1.5-1.6 is my guess.

Celine

A lot of series' have seen declines going from DS to 3DS (good old Fire Emblem being one exception).

DQVII seems well positioned though coming after a big influx of new 3DS owners and before MH4 (potentially) brings in another wave of users.
Dunno.
Casual games like Brain Age, Nintendogs and Style Savy seems to be in decline but most core franchises have performed accordingly (KH3D being the big disappointment).

mclem

Well, looks like we have new high-profile 3DS support from Square Enix.

How much can we expect DQVIIr to do?

I think less important than the actual sales of the title is the message that it sends. Is there any platform that's recieved a remake of a DQ title which hasn't gone on to also recieve a new title in that series?

There's the Gameboy Color ones, but those date back to the time when the thought of the main games not appearing first on consoles was absurd. Beyond that... I'm not sure I can think of one.

Oxx

Dunno.
Casual games like Brain Age, Nintendogs and Style Savy seems to be in decline but most core franchises have performed accordingly (KH3D being the big disappointment).

The performance of NSMB2 and most of Level 5's stuff is pretty notable, although franchise fatigue obviously is significant.

mclem

Dunno.

And I think it's worth pointing out that haven't some smaller games - Harvest Moon, Culdcept, (I'm sure there's a third but it's escaping me right now) - done better than they've done in a very long time on the 3DS?

The performance of NSMB2 and most of Level 5's stuff is pretty notable, although franchise fatigue obviously is significant.

Its too early to say with regards to level 5's stuff, Layton came out at launch to basically no userbase and IE to a small userbase (eespecially seeing as its aimed at kids), I expect the next games in both series to do better, will they reach previous heights though is a great unknown (and probably unlikely)

Its too early to say with regards to level 5's stuff, Layton came out at launch to basically no userbase and IE to a small userbase (eespecially seeing as its aimed at kids), I expect the next games in both series to do better, will they reach previous heights though is a great unknown (and probably unlikely)

I have a famitsu from last week (I think - AKB48+Me on the cover) with Fantasy Life as the 4th most anticipated game among readers behind MH4, Animal Crossing, and Tales of Exillia 2. It's also the most anticipated 'new IP'. They also have Youkai Watch and Layton 6. I think they may be most telling.

More (?) Importantly:
Feb - Dragon Quest 7
Mar - Monster Hunter 4
Sept (?) - Pokemon Gen 6

Plus Layton 6, Ace Attorney 5, Shin Megami Tensei 4, and Friend Collection.

If I were looking to get a 3DS, I'd get one now. Maybe it'll be hard to find one next year...:p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
And I think it's worth pointing out that haven't some smaller games - Harvest Moon, Culdcept, (I'm sure there's a third but it's escaping me right now) - done better than they've done in a very long time on the 3DS?

Rune factory maybe?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel one thing favoring DQ7 3DS is that it actually looks really high effort and like a top end game on the system, at least in the scan.

Globox_82

Banned
RE5 sold much better then RE6 in Japan (on PS3) from what I can remember, correct?
Why such drop, maybe Japanese market is indeed dying.

Celine

Just to be clear if we are talking about Nintendo big sellers, a "moderate" decline can be understandable since a system with 6 "4+ million" sellers is freaking incredible (NES,GB/C,GBA,Wii and PSP are the only others to have at least one) .

Level 5 milked/is milking their golden gooses like no tomorrow.
Still sell better than most publisher IPs (for now)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
if you ignore dream drop distance, and you know the other dragon quests on 3ds

Rocket Slime 3 is an adventure game and Terry's Wonderland is a monster battler which are commonly separated from other RPGs because they don't want Pokémon to shame their numbers with ungodly sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Calciobit, Etrian Odyssey.

Etryan Oddisey, right.
While I think that Calciobit and Culdcept are small games that well performed but are not significative in terms of sales, I think that the "triforce" Harvest Moon, Rune Factory and Etrian Oddissey are really interesting in terms of sales to understand possible future third party significant support

Bruno MB

The best selling Dragon Quest remake is the fifth chapter released on PS2.

[PS2] Dragon Quest V: Tenkuu no Hanayome (Square Enix) {2004.03.22} - 1,048,925 / 1,614,806

Zornica

Banned
Predictions:

[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (25 d)- 450k
[PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (25 d)- 200k
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (18 d)- 890k
[PSP] Summon Night 4 (11 d)- 70k
[PS3] Everybody's Golf 6 (4 d) - 100k
[PS3+3DS] E.X. Troopers (4 d) - 90k
[PS3+360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled (4 d) - 200k
[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate (3 d) - 150k

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Relevant news pertaining to our Wii U 3rd party discussion- Dynasty Warriors 7 announced only for PS3. Doesn't mean a Wii U release cannot come eventually, but given Tecmo Koei's support of Wii U so far, this is kind of a surprise IMO.

disco

Relevant news pertaining to our Wii U 3rd party discussion- Dynasty Warriors 7 announced only for PS3. Doesn't mean a Wii U release cannot come eventually, but given Tecmo Koei's support of Wii U so far, this is kind of a surprise IMO.
I think this will be announced for Wii U closer to the launch of the title.

schuelma

I think this will be announced for Wii U closer to the launch of the title.

Certainly could be, if development is still early and they are not sure when it will be ready (Hokuto Musou 2 was announced in June for PS360, not announced until September for Wii U and at first there was no release date).

Were they? With DQVII in Feb and MH4 in March its going to be brutal for the vita. Sony must be asking themselves 'when will it stop'.

Some people still believe that, after an holiday season with basically no games, Sony could manage to relaunch the console in Spring, with God Eater 2 (multi with PSP), Soul Sacrifice (an uproven IP) and a price-cut (which is not confirmed).

schuelma

There is no Dynasty Warriors coming at Wii U's launch.

No, but there are 2 musou games coming within 2 weeks of each other.

Could still be a valid point. I dunno. I would still bet it is likely coming judging by Tecmo Koei's announced Wii U support which frankly is probably the best out of any Japanese company right now.

saichi

Some people still believe that, after an holiday season with basically no games, Sony could manage to relaunch the console in Spring, with God Eater 2 (multi with PSP), Soul Sacrifice (an uproven IP) and a price-cut (which is not confirmed).

cause anything is possible and never say never!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (25 d)- 500k
[PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (25 d)- 100k
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (18 d)- 700k
[PSP] Summon Night 4 (11 d)- 40k
[PS3] Everybody's Golf 6 (4 d) - 90k
[PS3+3DS] E.X. Troopers (4 d) - 130k
[PS3+360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled (4 d) - 250k
[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate (3 d) - 140k

LayLa

i wouldn't be surprised if they were planning such a relaunch in spring ... whether they should is another matter entirely

Takao

Banned
I wonder how Hino expects people to play LBX W in time for his announcement? Apparently the PSP verision is a technical mess with a poop frame rate, and glitches. Vita version doesn't suffer from poop frame rate, but still has glitches (I haven't encountered any yet though).

1.2 million for a high quality DQ7 remake would be a big disappointment imo after the much cheaper looking DQM3D remake is going to sell 900k. I say 1.4 is the lower limit. We can also watch how MH4 and DQ7 affect each other. MH4 will give the 3DS a huge boost and will probably boost DQ7 as well as people buy the latest thing.

Fire emblem as well reached numbers not seen since the snes days.

Fire emblem as well reached numbers not seen since the snes days.

Yes, speaking of which I wonder if there's any chance we could see a sequel announced sometime next year. Intelligent Systems is relatively small so they can either try HD development on Wii U or continue to make 3DS games. I kind of hope they stick to 3DS because I hope Nintendo doesn't think they can basically sit on their heels with the 3DS like they did with the DS once the Wii came out.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I expect DQ7 to be the become the best selling DQ remake so far, +1.7-1.9 million lifetime sales....

1.2 million for a high quality DQ7 remake would be a big disappointment imo after the much cheaper looking DQM3D remake is going to sell 900k. I say 1.4 is the lower limit. We can also watch how MH4 and DQ7 affect each other. MH4 will give the 3DS a huge boost and will probably boost DQ7 as well as people buy the latest thing.

February and March are going to be insane for Japanese people who love Japanese video games. Still busy with their Animal Crossing stuffs, lol

By they way,

Predictions
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (25 d)- 480.000
[PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (25 d)- 120.000
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (18 d)- 450.000
[PSP] Summon Night 4 (11 d)- 37.000
[PS3] Everybody's Golf 6 (4 d) - 70.000
[PS3+3DS] E.X. Troopers (4 d) - 65.000
[PS3+360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled (4 d) - 180.000
[3DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate (3 d) - 160.000

Yes, speaking of which I wonder if there's any chance we could see a sequel announced sometime next year. Intelligent Systems is relatively small so they can either try HD development on Wii U or continue to make 3DS games. I kind of hope they stick to 3DS because I hope Nintendo doesn't think they can basically sit on their heels with the 3DS like they did with the DS once the Wii came out.

I hope they get their asses in gear and get to work on Advance Wars 3D.

:(

Well they're working on paper Mario and game and wario for the Wii u as well as just finishing fire emblem. So I'm not sure how long it will be until their next project.

donny2112

get to work on Advance Wars 3D.

Tried Advance Wars: DS and was really turned off by the lack of continuity between levels. No matter how good or bad you did on one level, it made no difference to the next level. Basically made it seem like of bunch of disconnected training levels that happened to have a story running through them. Are all Advance Wars games like that?

Top Bottom