• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2011 (Oct 24 - Oct 30)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
lunchwithyuzo said:
Well, not awful for Type-0, but not amazing either. Pretty big investment for a PSP game that's going to do under a million in Japan and maybe not even release elsewhere.

Kirby did a bit worse than I expected too tbh. Hope it can leg it to 500k, what did EY end up at?

Go Vacation and Just Dance hanging in there nicely.

http://geimin.net/da/db/2011_ne_fa/index.php

It's the number 90 on the list (EDIT:The list consider datas made publicy available, so wekly Famitsu's top30, and various comunications, such as the one for the FY first half )
Kirby will do a lot more than that, especially due to the four players multi mode.

Disappointing numbers for Type-0. I can't help but wonder if it would have done better under the name FFXIII Agito.

What's more interesting to me is, will FFXIII Versus sell more like FFXIII or more like Type-0?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
cw_sasuke said:
Type 0 worse than crisis core is surprising - seems like the main ff x SE base purchased their psps a long time ago - which makes sense.
What did Crisis Core cost at launch? Type 0 is a $100 PSP game.

duckroll said:
I don't see how it's different from KH BbS. I agree with your point, they're losing out on the bulk of WW sales for the franchise, but such is the nature of the platform. I don't see BbS available on any other platform either, even though it did miserable numbers in the US, which is the main market for KH games anyway.

I thought it charted on the NPD (Last PSP game to do that, I believe also) and performed better than the DS release 358/2 Days. That's not miserable is it?

muu

Considering they're in the middle of running the anime (which is typically a humongous notoriety boost), I expected much more out of Idolmaster2. I'm part of the crowd that got weaned out of it during the PSP/DS dark days (I got 2 for the 360, but have not bought any of the CDs since release), but there's still a decent number that will jump through flaming hoops for a new release, regardless of system. Hell, you're not a real fan if you don't have the Live Concert blu-rays and watched the PSHome concerts. Would not be surprised if half the numbers are people who already have the 360 release.

It'll be interesting to see how the sales curve out over the next couple weeks.

duckroll

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I thought it charted on the NPD (Last PSP game to do that, I believe also) and performed better than the DS release 358/2 Days. That's not miserable is it?

Wut? It most definitely did not perform better than 358/2 Days in the US. It was the best selling PSP game of that year in the US, yes, but I think that says more about how pathetic PSP sales in the US are more than anything else.

French

Banned
Ydahs said:
So in October alone, the 3DS has sold ~270k.

I don't think anybody expected that.

Well Nintendo can thank Japan because 3DS numbers in Europe and NA are pretty average.

BKK

lunchwithyuzo said:
Ports to the new handhelds would be a sounder investment imo. Less competition, higher visibility and they can still go full price.

That won't really help them in the West, and in Japan a large part of the fanbase will have already bought it for PSP.

duckroll

MetatronM said:
What did Crisis Core cost at launch? Type 0 is a $100 PSP game.

Only because the US dollar is shit though. Type-0 retails for 7700yen. Crisis Core retailed for 6090yen.

While the numbers for Type-0 aren't amazing per se, SE is still banking it hard and the numbers are pretty much aligned with the rest of their AAA PSP line-up.
Also, I wonder how many people were like me and decided to get the PSN release instead of the retail for future Vita play. By the time I got to downloading (about a couple hours after release, it already had 200+ user reviews).
Has anyone ever released PSN sales data (aside from the monthly unquantified top ten).

duckroll

djplaeskool said:
While the numbers for Type-0 aren't amazing per se, SE is still banking it hard.
Also, I wonder how many people were like me and decided to get the PSN release instead of the retail for future Vita play. By the time I got to downloading (about a couple hours after release, it already had 200+ user reviews).

What about people like Matsuno, who bought the retail game to collect, and then bought ANOTHER copy on PSN so he could play on his.... PSP Go. Lol.

vicissitudes said:
Disappointing numbers for Type-0. I can't help but wonder if it would have done better under the name FFXIII Agito.

What's more interesting to me is, will FFXIII Versus sell more like FFXIII or more like Type-0?

That depends largely on whether or not it's renamed to FFXV, which it will be.

vicissitudes said:

Where, in Japan? I suspect something between; Cinematic experience is a very important factor for FF games I believe.

Outside of Japan? If not multiplat, well, not good, specially because they divided the installed based by releasing XIII as multi-plat.

What about people like Matsuno, who bought the retail game to collect, and then bought ANOTHER copy on PSN so he could play on his.... PSP Go. Lol.
Is Matsuno really the Matsuno itself?!

Spiegel

BKK said:
That won't really help them in the West, and in Japan a large part of the fanbase will have already bought it for PSP.

Crisis Core sold better outside of Japan. A 3DS or Vita port (or both) would be enough.

And the only PSP collection on PS3 (GOWC2) has tanked pretty hard iirc.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BladeoftheImmortal said:
Eventually in USA, 358/2 Days:Birth by Sleep>2:1

duckroll

walking fiend said:
Where, in Japan? I suspect something between; Cinematic experience is a very important factor for FF games I believe.

Outside of Japan? If not multiplat, well, not good, specially because they divided the installed based by releasing XIII as multi-plat.

Obviously he's talking about Japan. Outside of Japan do you really think that Versus would sell 0 copies? Because that's how many copies Type-0 is going to sell!

Cheesemeister said:
That depends largely on whether or not it's renamed to FFXV, which it will be.

Wouldn't that be some crazy stuff?

I don't know if I'd call nearly 500,000 sales super disappointing. Outside of Monster Hunter games you don't often see PSP titles selling in the million range all that often.

duckroll said:
Obviously he's talking about Japan. Outside of Japan do you really think that Versus would sell 0 copies? Because that's how many copies Type-0 is going to sell!
PSP is dead software wise, I don't believe them to be really comparable solely due to type-0 performance in the west.

How did Peace Walker did in Japan compared to the West? How did MGS4?

Elios83

FF Type 0 could benefit so much from a Vita HD version which I guess they're gonna do after sales for the PSP version are settled.
As for the hardware sales it will be interesting to see if the recent drop in PSP sales is correlated to an interest in Vita.
Great sales for 3DS, decent for PS3, the rest meh.

BKK said:
It will help them in the west, 3DS/Vita offer a fresh start in terms of userbase, shelf space, etc. They can also get away with $40-50 for straight ports too, where as 360/PS3 would require HD assets, achievements/trophies, possibly a bundle, online play added, etc.

duckroll

walking fiend said:
PSP is dead software wise, I don't believe them to be really comparable solely due to type-0 performance in the west.

How did Peace Walker did in Japan compared to the West? How did MGS4?

What are you talking about? I'm saying that you quoted a guy who asked whether Versus is going to do FFXIII numbers or Type-0 numbers. Why would anyone think that a comparison like that would have anything to do with any region except Japan? It goes without saying!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
KENKA's Awesome race between past and present, to a bright future in 3D!
Week 43.

3DS - 65.041
NDS - 48.348

walking fiend said:

I really don't see why Versus won't do good outside Japan even if it is not multiplat
Most of FFXIII sales were or Ps3 to begin with and i am talking about NA and EU .
It has other things to worry about .

BKK

Spiegel said:
Crisis Core sold better outside of Japan. A 3DS or Vita port (or both) would be enough.

And the only PSP collection on PS3 (GOWC2) has tanked pretty hard iirc.

It's not that great of a comparison though, those were late ports of games already released in the West, and I'm guessing Sony didn't do much marketing for it (correct me if I'm wrong).

duckroll said:
What are you talking about? I'm saying that you quoted a guy who asked whether Versus is going to do FFXIII numbers or Type-0 numbers. Why would anyone think that a comparison like that would have anything to do with any region except Japan? It goes without saying!
oh, Sorry, I failed comprehending what you said! I brought up the question only to have a place to compare the sales to XIII.

I really don't see why Versus won't do good outside Japan even if it is not multiplat
Most of FFXIII sales were or Ps3 to begin with and i am talking about NA and EU .
yes, sorry, I didn't understood what duckroll said. But I doubt it performing as a 6m seller if it doesn't go multiplat. Do we have data on how much of the game was bought on 360? I may be really wrong.

lunchwithyuzo said:
It sold just over 300k US, and was the only PSP game to break 200k in 2010. For a series that's known to do over 2m for mainline games, that's terrible. Especially when Epic Mickey did 1.2m it's first month alone.

Re: Coded also bombed it seems like though.

Why are you comparing it to Epic Mickey , this is not Japan we are talking about handhleds games don't do the numbers there consoles part does in the west.
Unless your Nintendo .

EDIT good sales for PS3 and 3DS.

BKK

lunchwithyuzo said:
It will help them in the west, 3DS/Vita offer a fresh start in terms of userbase, shelf space, etc. They can also get away with $40-50 for straight ports too, where as 360/PS3 would require HD assets, achievements/trophies, possibly a bundle, online play added, etc.

Vita port will also require most of those things, and I really don't see how their low userbase is an advantage over the established high userbase of PS3/360. Maybe PS3/360/Vita if porting from PS3 to Vita is as easy as Sony says.

BKK said:
It's not that great of a comparison though, those were late ports of games already released in the West, and I'm guessing Sony didn't do much marketing for it (correct me if I'm wrong).
There's no other comparable example though. Sony is blocking MHP3HD and forcing KojiPro to bundle MGSPWHD. Neither case really paints that encouraging a picture for a potential FFT0HD.

Elios83 said:
FF Type 0 could benefit so much from a Vita HD version

PS3 version is a way better choice at this point.

walking fiend said:

I honestly don't think it matters at all at this point. The PS3 userbase is large and mature in the US and 90% of people who hit the right demographics to buy a Final Fantasy game are going to own one at this point in time. About the only real benefit of a multiplatform release at this stage would be the (admittedly delicious) schadenfreude.

Takao

Banned
So many bombas. Why did Konami, and Gungho think it was a good idea to launch directly against a Final Fantasy?

vareon said:
What I think will happen next year.

There is a bigger chance Type-0 is ported to the Wonderswan than there is a cellphone port.

RyougaSaotome said:
Nearly 500,000 for an SE PSP title seems about right. I'd actually expect to see a bump in sales come Vita release.

Outside of Monhun, what was the last PSP title to sell that much right out of the gate? I'm drawing a blank.

Why would a UMD game get a bump with the release of a platform that doesn't use UMDs?

Takao said:
Why would a UMD game get a bump with the release of a platform that doesn't use UMDs?

I'm referring to PSN sales. Given the high number of Vita pre-orders here, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a pretty decent number of people who are holding off for the next console.

Does Media Creates include digital copies in their charts?

BKK said:
Vita port will also require most of those things, and I really don't see how their low userbase is an advantage over the established high userbase of PS3/360. Maybe PS3/360/Vita if porting from PS3 to Vita is as easy as Sony says.
I think 3DS/PSPN would honestly be the best route. Direct port, a fast growing userbase, a (somewhat) different market from PSP, still playable on Vita, still hitting PSP... it'd be the most bang for their buck really.

gundamkyoukai said:
Why are you comparing it to Epic Mickey , this not Japan we are talking about handhleds games don't do the numbers there consoles part does in the west.
Unless your Nintendo .
I was responding to a comment talking about US sales. Please properly direct any complaints there.

Besides, Square Enix actually has a pretty good track record with KH on handhelds before BBS. CoM was a million seller iirc, and 358/2days did over 600k, and both were low budget, outsourced spinoffs.

charlequin said:
I honestly don't think it matters at all at this point. The PS3 userbase is large and mature in the US and 90% of people who hit the right demographics to buy a Final Fantasy game are going to own one at this point in time. About the only real benefit of a multiplatform release at this stage would be the (admittedly delicious) schadenfreude.

Yes, but 360 received a lot of jRPGs in the west, I dare to say the library has been considerably better than PS3 when you count in [timed] exclusives such as Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean, Tales of Vesperia, Last Remnant, etc.

Also, it seems at least in the USA the FFXIII demographic is pretty divided between the two platforms:

FFXIII Wiki said:
By April of the same year, American game sales for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 reached an estimated 800,000 and 500,000 units respectively.

Moreover, since PS3 has not received major exclusives, bar very few like Valkyria Chronicles, to actually make this demographic move to PS3, I don't see why they should have changed platforms in a considerable form.

Laguna

Banned
RyougaSaotome said:
I'm referring to PSN sales. Given the high number of Vita pre-orders here, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a pretty decent number of people who are holding off for the next console.

nerd-hype doesn´t always lead to substantial sales.

walking fiend said:
yes, sorry, I didn't understood what duckroll said. But I doubt it performing as a 6m seller if it doesn't go multiplat. Do we have data on how much of the game was bought on 360? I may be really wrong.

I'm talking Japan only guys. I've always thought Versus would do similar numbers as FFXIII seeing as how it's pretty much a full-fledged mainline game outside of the name, but after seeing Type-0 numbers I'm not so sure people won't dismiss it as a spinoff...

Takao

Banned
RyougaSaotome said:

None of the trackers account for PSN sales yet.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Kirby did a bit worse than I expected too tbh. Hope it can leg it to 500k, what did EY end up at?
It's hard to find a Kirby game that doesn't at least quadruple its first week, so it's got a good shot.

Takao said:
None of the trackers account for PSN sales yet.

Gotcha. Sorry if my initial post was unclear.

I do have to say that The Idolmaster 2 sales came as something of a surprise. I was expecting higher sales for a series that's finally making its debut on the PS3.

On the other hand, I was expecting Senritsu no Stratus to sell about as much as it did. It's a niche title that, while a ton of fun, was never going to be a heavy hitter. Going up against Type Zero certainly doesn't help.

vicissitudes said:
I'm talking Japan only guys. I've always thought Versus would do similar numbers as FFXIII seeing as how it's pretty much a full-fledged mainline game outside of the name, but after seeing Type-0 numbers I'm not so sure people won't dismiss it as a spinoff...
Maybe FFXIII-2 will be a good indicator? Sort of mainline, but sort of not, and on the same system?

lunchwithyuzo said:
Maybe FFXIII-2 will be a good indicator? Sort of mainline, but sort of not, and on the same system?
Type 0 has done better than expected by me though less than a lot of people seemed to think, 13-2 I've got a feeling will underperform too maybe only two thirds of 13's numbers

Top Bottom