• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2011 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

It all depends on how well Nintendo is able to convert teenage boys into 3DS owners over the next few weeks and whether or not they hit critical mass with that demographic and make it a self-perpetuating thing.

Chances are good that they can't in my mind, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they do.

cvxfreak

The MH fanbase only took off with the PSP, and maybe a quarter of them "flocked" to Wii.

If the same rate were repeated with 3G, then we can expect over 1 million sales of MH3G. Not bad :p

I see MH3G as more of a game to get Nintendo handheld gamers (like Pokemon fans from a few years ago) into the MH series and less of an incentive for those millions of PSP owners to switch to a new handheld. Taking away Vita sales is just a nice bonus.

Laguna

Banned
Nearly 2 million people have bought 3DSs since the announcement and they've sold.... probably significantly under 2 million pieces of software since then (The best-selling game isn't even at 1/3 of that total yet). I'd wager at least 1 million of those sales came from people who bought the system with nothing in mind but playing this game.

While it´s likely that after the announcement of MH more people interested in this series started to buy a 3DS and among "regular" Nintendo fans there surely are people intersted in MH, no one can really say how many 3DS owners bought it for this particular game. Actually most 3DS owner most likely bought it mainly for Nintendos software so far, that´s also the most apperent thing software sales suggest. I also think there is high demand in Monster Hunter for 3DS but with it´s current userbase it isn´t that easy to sell more than a million in only a week and with "Christmas" and "New Year" ahead it wouldn`t cause that much of problem if they undership the title a little.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I see MH3G as more of a game to get Nintendo handheld gamers (like Pokemon fans from a few years ago) into the MH series and less of an incentive for those millions of PSP owners to switch to a new handheld.

but why would that be a good approach even for Capcom when they could hitch onto a PSP based Monster Hunter that would be playable on the PSP -and- on the new Sony platform (possibly as an HD release+PS3) and then you can try to get the PSP owners to upgrade that way whilst still enjoying that 4m+ userbase no matter which way you slice it? Even if you fail to convert anyone you still bag the sales.

I mean - i'm sure they got a great deal from Nintendo - and as i've said before i don't think we've seen the last of MH on the PSP (or sony handheld hardware) but it's just a weird strategic choice and if it does fail? :/

I don't see the incentive of driving (and most likely splitting) your user base for MH. It just seems an all round bad idea. As per Kagari's statement, it's going to be fascinating to watch.

The ONLY thing i'm surprised about is Capcom didn't shoot the 3DS game in the foot by announcing MH(?) PSP -before- the 3DS game came out! ;)

Takao

Banned
It's best not to think about Crapcon's logic.

that's based on the assumption that X million invested PSP fans are going to buy a new piece of hardware and the -G- variant of a game they've dropped XXXX hours into. I know the argument goes that the fans are MAD CRAZY and will do it all for the new subspecies but the crux of the game is the social aspect - you need a GROUP BUY IN to get the same experience and i don't think it's going to happen.

AGain - i'm predicting 800k sales in Japan. TOTAL. Might go up when it bargain bins, but i think fans and capcom have read this one completely wrong. Victory lap for me in January! ;)

TriG is not the G variant of Portable 3rd. TriG is the G variant of the Wii game, that only 1 million people played. ;)

BurntPork

Banned
but why would that be a good approach even for Capcom when they could hitch onto a PSP based Monster Hunter that would be playable on the PSP -and- on the new Sony platform (possibly as an HD release+PS3) and then you can try to get the PSP owners to upgrade that way whilst still enjoying that 4m+ userbase no matter which way you slice it? Even if you fail to convert anyone you still bag the sales.

I mean - i'm sure they got a great deal from Nintendo - and as i've said before i don't think we've seen the last of MH on the PSP (or sony handheld hardware) but it's just a weird strategic choice and if it does fail? :/

I don't see the incentive of driving (and most likely splitting) your user base for MH. It just seems an all round bad idea. As per Kagari's statement, it's going to be fascinating to watch.

The ONLY thing i'm surprised about is Capcom didn't shoot the 3DS game in the foot by announcing MH(?) PSP -before- the 3DS game came out! ;)

Make sure to keep a cup handy for those bitter tears.

cvxfreak

I'm not too worried about that. Even if MH4 sales in Japan fell en masse due to the 3DS move (which is pretty unlikely), MH3 proved that having Nintendo back your game in the West can work wonders. Nintendo fans+Western fans is what Capcom has the most to gain by moving the series to 3DS.

Is this similar to how MHTri took away PSP sales? And who is it a bonus to? Capcom?

If anything, I bet a bunch of Wii first timers went out and bought MHP2G after MH3 came out. Bonus goes to Nintendo (and Apple).

muu

Many people bought a PSP solely for MHP. Many of these people also owned a DS for other games. Also, don't forget MHP has basically become a 'communication' game, sort of like bringing a deck of cards. Mario Kart also falls into this group of games, and you can probably imagine what'll happen if there were not only one, but two of these types of games out for one system. The 'divide' of players by not moving to Vita is probably less than the divide that would have occurred because people couldn't afford a 3DS and Vita at the same time.

Getting sassy in here :)

hey, that's when it is interesting :).

I see it do better than 1 million myself, G variant or not. It's not like it was released on the Wii, it's a G variant of a game that the rest of the fanbase haven't played since it was on console that they can play until the next base entry in the series come in and on a relatively cheap console at that.

Many people bought a PSP solely for MHP. Many of these people also owned a DS for other games. Also, don't forget MHP has basically become a 'communication' game, sort of like bringing a deck of cards. Mario Kart also falls into this group of games, and you can probably imagine what'll happen if there were not only one, but two of these types of games out for one system. The 'divide' of players by not moving to Vita is probably less than the divide that would have occurred because people couldn't afford a 3DS and Vita at the same time.

No I think his point was saying why isn't there a G variant of a game that sold more than 4 million copies on PSP without even considering Vita which would already be compatible to the game(at least the DL version).

Scum

Awwwww...yeaaahhh! That's it, Nintendo! Keep this shit up! It make Japan sales-age awesome. BTW, can I still make predictions? Because...

Monster Hunter 3G - 285,000
3DS - 312,000

jeremy1456

What's really interesting to me is the launch date of 3G just before the release of the Vita.

To me that seems like Capcom's way of warning the hardcore MH base not to buy a Vita for future Monster Hunter games.

Laguna

Banned
What's really interesting to me is the launch date of 3G just before the release of the Vita.

To me that seems like Capcom's way of warning the hardcore MH base not to buy a Vita for future Monster Hunter games.

To make it even clearer they announced the sequel only a week later at TGS. But obviously some are in denial and doubt MH4 will be on 3DS...

Takao

Banned
Awwwww...yeaaahhh! That's it, Nintendo! Keep this shit up! It make Japan sales-age awesome. BTW, can I still make predictions? Because...

Monster Hunter 3G - 285,000
3DS - 312,000

Neither I, nor BurntPork would predict such things.

Doubt what will happen?
We've already seen MH4 on the 3DS.

Doubt it will stay exclusive I suppose.

I imagine something, somewhere will replace Monster Hunter on the Vita. Obviously I can't tell you what. But if Sony pushes the hardware long enough, with decent games something's going to happen.

Scum

I imagine something, somewhere will replace Monster Hunter on the Vita. Obviously I can't tell you what. But if Sony pushes the hardware long enough, with decent games something's going to happen.
Capcom are involved, so crazy arse predictions are okay.

It's always possible.
Hard to predict what the next big thing will be.
Regardless of whether MH4 stays exclusive or not, though, the fanbase is already being pushed towards the 3DS at this point.

Haha, seriously?
Oh my...
Charlie Charlie Charlie.

It's always possible.
Regardless of whether MH4 stays exclusive or not, though, the fanbase is already being pushed towards the 3DS at this point.

Haha, seriously?
Oh my...
Charlie Charlie Charlie.

I actually don't see it, we still don't know what Capcom will do with the more popular Freedom franchise, they could scrap it altogether and make just one series or keep releasing them on PSP or Vita. I really don't see what they'll do with it, I mean if 3G ends up doing 2 million+ , are they going to scrap the portable series altogether? I mean what made it really popular was the fact that it was portable right ?

I actually don't see it, we still don't know what Capcom will do with the more popular Freedom franchise, they could scrap it altogether and make just one series or keep releasing them on PSP or Vita. I really don't see what they'll do with it, I mean if 3G ends up doing 2 million+ , are they going to scrap the portable series altogether? I mean what made it really popular was the fact that it was portable right ?

And now the main MH series is portable.
I mean, they could continue the Freedom series on the Vita, but they way they are aggressively showing support for the 3DS and the way Nintendo is basically money hatting Capcom for it...
I dunno.

Also note that he's positive that it'll sell under 800k...

Indeed...

Takao

Banned
It's always possible.

I think Monster Hunter is a lost cause on Vita at this point. Even if a title is announced, unless it completely makes the 3DS iterations worthless in feature set, I doubt many will care. Well, unless it was announced on the day TriG comes out or something, which with Capcom isn't entirely unlikely...

It's obvious though, if Vita is to have it's own Monster Hunter, it will be a game that offer competitive, and rewarding local multiplayer. I think they could replicate that kind of success again, but it will take time.

DCharlie

Haha, seriously?
Oh my...
Charlie Charlie Charlie.

again - i'm going to be right on both. *pre-smug-victory-birdmanhandrub*

re: 1 million Tri - yes, on a user base of how many million? Again, people are reading this thing wrong. In a world where Mario 3D shifts 500k, people are dreaming if you think those Wii MH players have been sat around just dying for a G variant.

Capcom and fans are reading this wrong - game will do well, but it's not going to be the sales juggernaut people are expecting. Those launch unit preorder numbers? Indicitave of weaker than expected demand. Capcom are already setting expectations (i believe optimistically) at "around 1m" - we shall see. It's going to be fun! :D

Me personally? i'll probably end up buying this though the wife has vowed to abuse me if i do (we're only just past the "solo'ing Evil Jho" point - we're tooled up for the final battles but we've a long way to go so she cannot understand WHY i'd then go and start playing MH3G -on my own-. Game looks graphically better than the PSP version but again... And whilst that's anecdotal, i think it's the crux of the issue. Hell, if we are counting on Wii owners - imagine their surprise when theres no online! ;))

Some of the logic in this thread is getting a bit crazy though - Wii is now responsible for MH3rd increase in sales?! the f....?!?

Indeed...

so... what's it going to sell then? ;) Come on, thread is going places :)

re: 1 million Tri - yes, on a user base of how many million? Again, people are reading this thing wrong. In a world where Mario 3D shifts 500k, people are dreaming if you think those Wii MH players have been sat around just dying for a G variant.

Capcom and fans are reading this wrong - game will do well, but it's not going to be the sales juggernaut people are expecting. Those launch unit numbers? Indicitave of weaker than expected demand. Capcom are already setting expectations (i believe optimistically) at "around 1m" - we shall see. It's going to be fun! :D

Me personally? i'll probably end up buying this though the wife has vowed to abuse me if i do (we're only at the "solo'ing Evil Jho" point - we're tooled up for the final battles but we've a long way to go so she cannot understand WHY i'd then go and start playing MH3G -on my own-. And whilst that's anecdotal, i think it's the crux of the issue. Hell, if we are counting on Wii owners - imagine their surprise when theres no online! ;))

Uh huh...
And they call me cocky.

That's what I think. Please provide 1 example in which a game or a franchise has made the difference in competing platforms. Is all about the games, sure the 3DS has great support right now, but that isn't an indication that the PSVita won't have enough games to compete properly in the long run.

Capcom doesn't do "exclusives" anymore, we already know this. I don't understand the shock, when posters are inclined to believe that the MH3G/MH4 combo will make its way to competing devices at some point, one way or another.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
That's what I think. Please provide 1 example in which a game or a franchise has made the difference in competing platforms. Is all about the games, sure the 3DS has great support right now, but that isn't an indication that the PSVita won't have enough games to compete properly in the long run.

Capcom doesn't do "exclusives" anymore, we already know this. I don't understand the shock, when posters are inclined to believe that the MH3G/MH4 combo will make its way to competing devices at some point, one way or another.
..Monster Hunter Portable?

Wii Sports

Regardless, Capcom does do exclusives, and again. Even if MH4 IS ported to the Vita, it doesn't really matter. The fanbase is being driven by both Capcom and Nintendo to the 3DS.

No one is saying that the Vita can't compete, just that it won't compete on the back of MH like the PSP did.

Capcom and fans are reading this wrong - game will do well, but it's not going to be the sales juggernaut people are expecting. Those launch unit preorder numbers? Indicitave of weaker than expected demand. Capcom are already setting expectations (i believe optimistically) at "around 1m" - we shall see. It's going to be fun! :D

Me personally? i'll probably end up buying this though the wife has vowed to abuse me if i do (we're only just past the "solo'ing Evil Jho" point - we're tooled up for the final battles but we've a long way to go so she cannot understand WHY i'd then go and start playing MH3G -on my own-. Game looks graphically better than the PSP version but again... And whilst that's anecdotal, i think it's the crux of the issue. Hell, if we are counting on Wii owners - imagine their surprise when theres no online! ;))

Some of the logic in this thread is getting a bit crazy though - Wii is now responsible for MH3rd increase in sales?! the f....?!?

Loving the confidence here lol

DCharlie

The fanbase is being driven by both Capcom and Nintendo to the 3DS.

lol, if Capcom had dropped MH4 right off the bat, THEN they'd be driving people to the 3DS.

Again - it's the MH3G - as you point out, the G variant of 1 MILLION SELLER ON THE WII MH3.

MH3rdP fans (i.e. the close to 5m user base that also drives what is a fairly sizable secondary market on soft toys, plushes, figures, and other MH goods) aren't being driven anywhere just yet. People jumping the gun all up in nyaa!

lol, if Capcom had dropped MH4 right off the bat, THEN they'd be driving people to the 3DS.

Again - it's the MH3G - as you point out, the G variant of 1 MILLION SELLER ON THE WII MH3.

MH3rdP fans (i.e. the close to 5m user base that also drives what is a fairly sizable secondary market on soft toys, plushes, figures, and other MH goods) aren't being driven anywhere just yet. People jumping the gun all up in nyaa!

Like this?

Takao

Banned
I'm saying without Mon Hun the Vita can't compete.

It won't outsell 3DS. That is a story that will happen, but hasn't yet been written. But I'm confident that if the platform has a pulse for long enough, the audience will find something and cling onto it. Vita will find its voice somewhere, and manage to be as healthy a platform as the PSP is in Japan. Or at least, I hope it can.

47.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It won't outsell 3DS. That is a story that will happen, but hasn't yet been written. But I'm confident that if the platform has a pulse for long enough, the audience will find something and cling onto it. Vita will find its voice somewhere, and manage to be as healthy a platform as the PSP is in Japan. Or at least, I hope it can.

Don't worry Takao, you'll get your share of DBZ games for sure.

Takao

Banned
Don't worry Takao, you'll get your share of DBZ games for sure.

Scamco didn't even bother listing "Dragon Ball games" on the Vita support list at TGS, lol. Then again, they listed "Dragon Ball games" for 3DS in 2010, and here we are - basically in 2012, and we've seen absolutely nothing. :(

DCharlie

Like this?

you may like to note that all that announces is a new Monster Hunter - PS3 has also been the temporary home of a Monster Hunter game. Like i say, that user base doesn't get up to X level and if MH3 doesn't hit good sales and you can kiss goodbye to MH4 on 3DS (or, i guess, plan B is to have MH4 on Nintendo hardware and keep MH4Portable on Sony hardware. Which would make the most sense - clearly define both as different incompatible games and just sell to a broad audience)

Also - just to add another moan, i'm alone here i think but the MH4 trailer did -nothing- for me. That doesn't look like the MH games i want to play - that looks like Random Action Game with QTE events. Though again - i bring up Dragon Dogma which had some of the game play elements in realtime (jumping on back of enemies for instance.

Vita will find its voice somewhere, and manage to be as healthy a platform as the PSP is in Japan. Or at least, I hope it can.

the games that define the 3DS and the Vita we probably know little about, it's unlikely either will roll a perfect hit again though Mario 3D is an incredible game and has , so far, been the stand out on the platform. Vita needs an original unique experience to define it - not just porty stuff. But that's getting away from how right i am about Monster Hunter... so.... ;)

Top Bottom