• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

I'm sad about the XIII-2 megabomb, but at least there are a few positives.

1. There will be no XIII-3 and SE will likely be forced to make an ending to XIII-2 via DLC and the DLC probably won't be able to be expensive following the brand collapse

2. There are going to be major changes at Square. XIV's possible bomb of the generation and XIII-2's megabomb heavily imply that the series is dying and in is disarray. Hopefully the writing staff gets the axe first.

edit: Does Versus even exist? It's had like four trailers in six years and it I don't remember any media for the game being released this year.

What did all the Vita owners buy? Hardly any software sold compared to the sheer number of hardware.

Quite predictable - at least I think it was a given - also DS, PSP and 3DS sold ways better than software, at least in the early stages; early adopters are maybe just curious about the tech, besides someone may have just bought DD games.

Recently 3DS sold quite well throughout the whole summer after the price cut, with almost no games in the top 10 until September.

Am I the only one expecting Versus to get renamed and released on PS3/Vita (+ maybe Wii U and 360)?

Seems like things are headed that way with FFX and the new action rpg.

At this point, I'd just rename Versus to strip the FF branding and concentrate on fixing FFXIV. They need to get their house in order with that before trying anything else, but unfortunately I think what is more likely to happen is more FF-branded floundering and further damage to the series.

Cipherr

lol

And I predict DQX will bomb as well, so S-E seems in big trouble. I know this is a touchy subject, but I really think they should do a dual Wii-3DS or Wii-WiiU release for that game.

Edit: wait, they are doing the Wii-WiiU thing, right? Forgot about that.

Everything they release from this point onward needs to be on every platform they can get it on. They need access to as many people as possible.

idwl

Looks like SE is gonna have to do a FF7 remake to save their asses. (Hopefully on 3ds) or on wiiU. Just imagine a FF7 trailer at the end of nintendo's E3 conference next year. drooooooooooool

any chances that FF goes portable too? maybe Vita would suit well as it is a 'high-end' device.

Probably not, the western market is to big for Final Fantasy to go portable only. What they'd gain in sales in Japan on a handheld they'd most probably lose in the west. It's also highly unlikely they'll be prepared enough to do a Vita/PS3 game before the next-gen of consoles comes out and the western market moves over to those, making a handheld/console hybrid difficult again.

Polo67

FF Type-0, KH BBS, DQ IX, TWEWY, and KH 3D (likely) all say SE still has some talent.

They have talent but in my opinion there games haven't evolved. All those games minus type zero play like games from ten years ago. I want something fresh from square and I wanna be excited for there titles like I was with FF10,12,dq8,kh2. I want the magic back . Oh and FFT :)

DaBuddaDa

The "FF: Type-X" series seems groomed to be the "portable" Final Fantasy series, at least for the near future. I doubt Final Fantasy XV will be portable exclusive.

All those games minus type zero play like games from ten years ago.

Name me two games from ten years ago (2001 or prior) that are anything remotely similar to The World Ends With You.

M3d10n

I wonder how much the 3DS would have sold if the Vita launch didn't happen? Or are you guys suggesting the Vita launch had zero effect on this week's 3DS sales?

Looks like SE is gonna have to do a FF7 remake to save their asses. (Hopefully on 3ds) or on wiiU. Just imagine a FF7 trailer at the end of nintendo's E3 conference next year. drooooooooooool

The likelyhood of that (on 3ds at least) I'd say has today just gone through the roof

Kirby shows some incredible legs

SM3DL and MK7 keep impressing

good for Inazuma Eleven

Lol at FF. Next week will be out of the top ten

3DS reached
im-the-juggernaut-bitch-1500.jpg
status

Everything they release from this point onward needs to be on every platform they can get it on. They need access to as many people as possible.

Nintendo's got DQ locked down tight though. DQX's biggest issue I think is missing PC, PS3/360 aren't a big deal though.

Microsoft's essentially made FFXIV a defacto PS3 console exclusive, though I could see Sony throwing some incentives Wada's way to keep it off Wii U for a while.

I still sort of think FFXI Vita might happen, lol.

Elios83

Shouldn't this be the nail in the coffin for Yoichi Wada?
In a single generation he turned the Final Fantasy series into a total shit which is now avoided even by loyal fans.
After XIII, XIV and XIII-2, it's clear that they don't have a clue and it seems they have plans for XIII-3......
At this point it's really time for the emergency button, FFVII remake, Versus XIII with moggles and chocobos renamed FFXV.

As for the numbers it was a really good week for both Sony and Nintendo, it's a really healthy competition among them atm. Hopefully it will continue.

Fularu

Banned
I wonder how much the 3DS would have sold if the Vita launch didn't happen? Or are you guys suggesting the Vita launch had zero effect on this week's 3DS sales?

The effect was probably nill. I mean the DS only beat those sales 3 or 4 times over the span of 7 years.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Core gamers are the ones buying the Vita (and they probably already have a 3DS).

Mrbob

I don't think the Vita is affecting 3DS hardware sales. The device had Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Monster Hunter 3G released in a short span.

As to the bet a page before about which one hits a million first, it is going to be Mario Kart 7. Then Mario 3D Land and third Monster Hunter.

Opiate

Serious question -- is it a good idea to buy Nintendo stock at this point?

This is an area I know more about: Nintendo would qualify as a highly volatile asset. Risk/reward is high. If you're asking if it's likely/sure to go up, it isn't. In the short term, it's likely to go down, as any overvaluation related to Christmas sales has already occured.

Pooya

Type-0 debuted at around 472k.

FF Type-0 had better sell through and lasted a while in the charts, for about a month, last time we saw it, it was very close to 700k. it was priced 7700 yen, about same as FF13-2, expensive for a PSP game. FF13-2 price crashed in it's first week, Type-0 didn't if 13-2 has a huge drop in 2nd week like XIII did. I think there is a chance that it will end up less than Type-0 when it's done selling or about same. Next week we'll know...

Nintendo's got DQ locked down tight though. DQX's biggest issue I think is missing PC, PS3/360 aren't a big deal though.

Microsoft's essentially made FFXIV a defacto PS3 console exclusive, though I could see Sony throwing some incentives Wada's way to keep it off Wii U for a while.

I still sort of think FFXI Vita might happen, lol.

After the fiasco of its launch Sony would probably be more inclined to pay squarenix to keep 14 off the ps3

I think Square is going to have to adapt to the reality that all of the most popular JRPG series

- Pokemon
- Monster Hunter
- Dragon Quest

are all

1) portable
2) multiplayer

Of course, the fact that FF13 had a lukewarm reception and FF14 was downright terrible probably didn't help.

How do you market FFXV (or vs XIII) in a way that drags the franchise back to 2.5-3.5 million units in sales in Japan? Particularly if you make it exclusively for a console like Wii U or PS4? The Western sales of FF will keep the series profitable because we still go gaga for the production values, but I feel that in a post-Skyrim world even those sales will start to dry up.

Orgen

It will be interesting to see how it tracks after the holiday's given that it will be growing with the userbase as opposed to MH Tri. I think 1.5Mish sounds about right to me.

1.5 million is what I expected from the beginning and I think TriG can reach it. Next week will be crucial to know if the game can reach 1.5m (or a little more) or "tanks" at 1.1-1.2m. Personally I think next week will be very similar to this (maybe a little less, 175k)

Am I the only one expecting Versus to get renamed and released on PS3/Vita (+ maybe Wii U and 360)?

Yes you are... nah, Im' joking ;P I don't think Versus will get renamed because of all the Fabula Nova Crystallis theme but Agito XIII renamed to Type 0 points otherwise. At most it'll be renamed to Final Fantasy Versus and released on 360 too. Making it for the Vita and/or Wii U should delay the game more time and cost more money... so I don't think S-E is thinking about it. But hey, it's S-E in panic mode (juas) so it could happen anything!

Now, one thing I'm pretty sure: If Versus (renamed or not) sells more than XIII-2 (easy) and returns the FF brand to form (not so easy), FF XV (or the next FF mainline title) will be an Action RPG.

Meanwhile S-E could remake FF V and FFVI for 3DS/Vita...

gogogow

How do you market FFXV (or vs XIII) in a way that drags the franchise back to 2.5-3.5 million units in sales in Japan? Particularly if you make it exclusively for a console like Wii U or PS4? The Western sales of FF will keep the series profitable because we still go gaga for the production values, but I feel that in a post-Skyrim world even those sales will start to dry up.

Not a single FF game have sold anywhere close to 3.5 million copies in the last decade. They should just focus on making a good game, listen to feedback and hope for the best in sales.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This is an area I know more about: Nintendo would qualify as a highly volatile asset. Risk/reward is high. If you're asking if it's likely/sure to go up, it isn't. In the short term, it's likely to go down, as any overvaluation related to Christmas sales has already occured.

Just wondering Opiate, who will you considering investing in right now? That includes first party and third party.

dvolovets

I think Square is going to have to adapt to the reality that all of the most popular JRPG series

- Pokemon
- Monster Hunter
- Dragon Quest

are all

1) portable
2) multiplayer

Of course, the fact that FF13 had a lukewarm reception and FF14 was downright terrible probably didn't help.

I think it has more to do with the reception of previous games (and the fact that these sequels are in the same vein as said previous games) than whether the games have multiplayer or are on a portable. The strength of the portable space in the 90s didn't prevent Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest from selling a ton on the PS1... Square just needs to seriously reassess their approach to these games and prioritize accordingly (i.e., maybe focus less on production values and concentrate on gameplay).

Needless to say, I'm glad Iwata is the head of Nintendo. Even after all that talk about how he was on the hot seat because of horrible start to the 3DS, he was able to come up with a plan to save it, and now it's performing amazing.

M3d10n

Core gamers are the ones buying the Vita (and they probably already have a 3DS).

Yes, every single "core" gamer in entire Japan already bought a 3DS. All sales we'll see from now are "casuals", right?

This is the holiday season. Sales are increased over the rest of the year for one big reason: people are out and about buying gifts, lots of them. This week there is another gift option on the shelves, it does have an impact: it's a system launch after all, with banners all over the place and whatnot.

- Pokemon
- Monster Hunter
- Dragon Quest

are all

1) portable
2) multiplayer

I don't think Final Fantasy can go in that direction. It is a cinematic, story-driven series, I'm not sure that translate to a handheld. They may have to change so much about the series that it isn't even the same series at this point.

Needless to say, I'm glad Iwata is the head of Nintendo. Even after all that talk about how he was on the hot seat because of horrible start to the 3DS, he was able to come up with a plan to save it, and now it's performing amazing.

In Japan, yes. I think it's still wise to be a little cautious about how his recovery plan is going to pan out in the West, though the signs are positive so far.

Versus is not technically possible on the Vita. I don't think any big budget ps3 game is.

Top Bottom