• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

I wish I could remember what I put in my prediction though I do think even I overshot it

Bomb outright no, bomb relative to series yes I'd guess about a 600k to 650k launch followed by a typical rpg second week drop and price slashing so it'll sell out its shipment

I could be wrong but speculation is why we're here
Yes, speculation and discussion is what we're here. We also tend to point out highly irregularly predictions, because in such cases someone either sees something that no one else did, or there's a level of delusion going on. The likelihood of a title like FFXIII-2 doing 600-650k is.... extremely low. Just saying.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33042861&postcount=532

jman2050

duckroll is still correct, no one should have seen this coming. It's like the 800k MH prediction except this one actually happened.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I also wonder how much Square is now shitting their pants because of Versus XIII.

I'd be pretty worried honestly.

Unless something has changed recently:

1.) It's PS3 exclusive.
2.) It's an action RPG (and thus likely to go over less well in Japan than the mainline entries).
3.) It's still a spin-off.
4.) It has character designs not likely to go over well in the West.
5.) The game looked really, really janky gameplay wise the last time they showed it off.
6.) It's in a series that isn't exactly winning hearts and minds right now.

That's not exactly the winning combo I would want to be releasing right now, given that it seems quite risky no matter what region I'm releasing it.

DQ was never that big outside Japan in the first place, so they weren't risking anything moving it over to portables. Series like FF sell a lot over here and it is long established as a home console franchise with big production values. If FFXIII were a DS game, I don't see it selling much more than than the 2 million it did in Japan, while there would probably be a significant drop in the west.

SE also has a problem with long dev times on handhelds too. See DQ9, BBS, Tpye-0. They have a problem with how they make games. Their process isn't efficient now that staff size has ballooned.

I agree that Western sales will be the determining factor for the future of the franchise. But I must stress that FFXIII-2 is launching into a post-Skyrim marketplace (and a marketplace where Dark Souls did exceptionally well for a "JRPG") and I fully expect Skryim legacy sales and Mass Effect 3 preorders to have an influence on its launch in late January/early February.

WW shipments may end up under 3 million. If Square can consistently produce quality FF titles at a 2 year clip, those kinds of numbers would probably be acceptable. If it takes half a decade, there's just no way. If versus XIII opens at 500k it would be a complete disaster.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Heh - charlequin is usually great about giving credit when someone hits it on the head. I'm sure duckroll will be in too ;-)

When duckroll will see the results, he just won't care about it due to IE low debut: it will party for that, forgetting about Final Fiasco XIII (good one, Orgen! ).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure if I ever posted it in these threads, but I'm feeling pretty good about my "FFXIII-2 would be just about the worst decision they could make for the health of the brand" prediction from way back before they announced it.

To be fair to charlequin, he agreed with me when I did, though it seems it was even worse for it than either of us could have predicted.

Pooya

Nirolak said:
4.) It has character designs not likely to go over well in the West.
rest are spot on, but this, it actually has a better chance than other things they've made recently.

I'm not sure if I ever posted it in these threads, but I'm feeling pretty good about my "FFXIII-2 would be just about the worst decision they could make for the health of the brand" prediction from way back before they announced it.

To be fair to charlequin, he agreed with me when I did, though it seems it was even worse for it than either of us could have predicted.

At least they ended in it a cliffhanger for XIII-3

C-Jo

If this was three years ago I would agree.

And if we solely talk about their outfits, I would still agree.

However, I think Noctis in particular is still a bit of a hard sell.
As someone who finds the art direction in 13/13-2 kind of insufferable, I think I get the argument for Versus. The modern/urban setting alone makes up for a lot of the Nomura-ness in my eyes, anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As someone who finds the art direction in 13/13-2 kind of insufferable, I think I get the argument for Versus. The modern/urban setting alone makes up for a lot of the Nomura-ness in my eyes, anyway.

Yeah, I do agree that it's an easier sell for sure.

It's just something I still feel is more "less of a negative" than "a positive".

Kandinsky

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about DQX as well, based on FFXI and FFXIV results. It's cool that SE are doing MMORPGs, but maybe they should've created a new IP for that, instead of using their biggest brands.

Like I said the other day, can't blame them to try, after all FFXI was a HUGE success for the company.

Also, MH3G bomb comfirmed, barely managed to break 200k? lawl.

Well, they can always fall back on filling it in with DLC!

Or both!

Based on what I gathered from the ending, it would be extremely difficult to conclude the story quickly so making it DLC would be tough.

But that's probably their only choice at this point.

They really painted themselves into a corner. I wonder why they thought FFXIII as a trilogy would work.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Based on what I gathered from the ending, it would be extremely difficult to conclude the story quickly so making it DLC would be tough.

But that's probably their only choice at this point.

They really painted themselves into a corner. I wonder why they thought FFXIII as a trilogy would work.

I think it was due to production schedules.

They want to finish a game every two years. It's very hard to make something entirely new in that timeframe until they finish Luminous and thus have a content creation pipeline that can make tons of high quality content in a short period of time.

And even then, the way we get sequels out in two years in the West is generally by using the previous game as a base.

extralite

Versus is not technically possible on the Vita. I don't think any big budget ps3 game is.
I thought the point of making the Vita so powerful was to enable easy PS3 ports? Of course they'll be not perfect ports but still be close enough.

Anyway, I wouldn't bring Versus to Vita either. Splits sales, confuses people.

But considering how Kitase has said in an recent interview that FFXV might be an action RPG it'd make a lot of sense to rename Versus to XV. If they want to take the series there anyway they might as well start with the game that was probably supposed to test the waters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zelda on Wii is dead!

What will Nintendo do regarding Zelda on Wii U??

Probably continue focusing on the West.

I think they're willing to accept some of their franchises being regional in the same way that they don't release Friend Collection abroad.

Pooya

I also think that replacing the main characters with Serah and grown Sora was a reeeeeally bad decision

really... their marketing sure shows this they knew it themselves too. I wonder what happened, how they thought that was a good idea when deciding this. specially for west, I think it will be very bad.

I'm 10 hours in, not really feeling these characters so far as I expected.

squall211

I'm not arguing with XIII-2 sales being low. They definitely are.

But, why are people comparing XIII-2's sales to Xillia's? One's a sequel to a mainline game in its respective franchise, while the other IS a mainline game.

beril

I agree that Western sales will be the determining factor for the future of the franchise. But I must stress that FFXIII-2 is launching into a post-Skyrim marketplace (and a marketplace where Dark Souls did exceptionally well for a "JRPG") and I fully expect Skryim legacy sales and Mass Effect 3 preorders to have an influence on its launch in late January/early February.

WW shipments may end up under 3 million. If Square can consistently produce quality FF titles at a 2 year clip, those kinds of numbers would probably be acceptable. If it takes half a decade, there's just no way. If versus XIII opens at 500k it would be a complete disaster.

I think XIII-2 will bomb ever harder in the west.
XIII managed to sell because of the brand and from being hyped for 5 years and for being the only big console RPG this generation, but the backlash is huge and hurt both the brand and further damaged people's attitude towards JRPGs in general

[Nintex]

Zelda on Wii is dead!

What will Nintendo do regarding Zelda on Wii U??

Retro Studios hopefully.

I think they're willing to accept some of their franchises being regional in the same way that they don't release Friend Collection abroad.
Yep and I think SS bombing in Europe scared them more actually since OOT3D showed there's still much interest in the franchise just not in Skyward Sword.

Xater

really... their marketing sure shows this they knew it themselves too. I wonder what happened, how they thought that was a good idea when deciding this. specially for west market I think it will be very bad.

I'm 10 hours in, not really feeling these characters so far as I expected.

Is the tutorial over yet?

But considering how Kitase has said in an recent interview that FFXV might be an action RPG it'd make a lot of sense to rename Versus to XV. If they want to take the series there anyway they might as well start with the game that was probably supposed to test the waters.

Yeah, Versus has bomb written all over it, especially considering how many years it's been in development and the cost associated with that. Just name it XV

Like I said the other day, can't blame them to try, after all FFXI was a HUGE success for the company.
Just to keep things in perspective, between PS2 and 360, FFXI sold about 250k total in Japan. I'm pretty sure DQX at least can best that, FFXIV 2.0 might too. The challenge for both games is going to be outside Japan imo.

Mrbob

I'm pretty sure FF13 sold around 1.3 million the first month in USA. About 800K on PS3 and 500K on 360. This is a lot of disappointed people. I bought FF13 on day one, quit after 7 hours because the game is garbage. No interest in the sequel. Will be interesting to see how big the fall is for FF13-2, if we get numbers.

I believe FF13 sucking will affect FF13-2 sales more than Skyrim and ME3.

I think XIII-2 will bomb ever harder in the west.
XIII managed to sell because of the brand and from being hyped for 5 years and for being the only big console RPG this generation, but the backlash is huge and hurt both the brand and further damaged people's attitude towards JRPGs in general

If anything shouldn't the 13 backlash be even greater in the West seeing as half the western gamers bought the poor 360 port?

Boney

Banned

Just like Mario and Mario Kart saw a massive increase in popularity due to how the console was groomed, there's reason to believe that Zelda would have an adverse effect, especially this late in the Wii's life.

It's a huge bomb, but if Wii U isn't a spectacular failure, I expect Zelda to perform better on it.

Friend Collection has never been released in the West. Zelda on the other hand has proven to be a successful IP within Japan, I don't think any company is willing to just let that go.

Oh and it truly seems that the number 13 is unlucky.

Shudders
xlarge_be0927f92486bf769b943053a5cf0b02.jpg

If anything shouldn't the 13 backlash be even greater in the West seeing as half the western gamers bought the poor 360 port?

I don't think the quality of the 360 port will be an issue. I could see the western audience generally being less forgiving when it comes to bad JRPGs, though, and therefore rejecting the sequel even harder than Japan did.

Top Bottom