• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

DGRE

Banned
On another subjectm looks like PS3 will be down just so slightly YoY for 2011.

Went back and looked, it was basically ~1.6m 2009, ~1.5m 2010, ~1.5m 2011

I dont know if that's good, bad, or indifferent for PS3. I guess the latter.

On the brightside, PS3 handily outsold the Wii in Japan this year.

Congrats Sony!!! ^^

So does anyone know when is Sony's next event? When will they unveil the next round of Vita games or make announcements or something?

GDC is in march not sure if theres anything before that where people anounce things, does CES get much gaming stuff? thats in January.

edit: beaten

MoogPaul

Sony themselves will leak a hack for the Vita where you can run a bastardized version of PCSX2 on it. Vita hardware saved through homebrew.

watershed

Banned
The main events Sony attends are:

CES: Will almost assuredly not have Vita games.

GDC: They usually show up at this, though recently it's more things like Move games or things already announced. It's possible Vita games would be here, but they would very likely be first/second party.

PlayStation Showcase: This usually consists of first party titles for consoles and happens sometime in April-May. Basically it is where they show their published games to the press prior to E3, so I wouldn't really expect third party games there.

E3: This is really a console show. Odds are high that they won't have many Vita games, and that the ones they do are largely full looks at what they showed at the PlayStation Showcase. Anything else, if it shows up, will likely be a third party Western game like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

TGS: This is basically the only event they hold where they focus on handheld titles.

So, I would say the most likely place to see more Japanese Vita announcements would be in Famitsu like how Gundam just got announced.

Cool thanks. So hopefully we can expect some megaton announcements in Famitsu in the coming weeks.

cj_iwakura

Sony themselves will leak a hack for the Vita where you can run a bastardized version of PCSX2 on it. Vita hardware saved through homebrew.

I never CFW'd my PSP, and I've used it constantly since FFT came out. It's nice to have, but with a library like that, you sure don't need it.

Mrbob

PS3 has been strangely consistent the last couple years. Maybe PS4 isn't needed anytime soon? Sony keeps selling 1.5 million PS3s every year and games.

Anzan

Neo Member
I'd rather get the Vita version, because it looks like a game I'd want in widescreen format. (Also the comparison screens were no contest.)

Er... the 3DS's top screen, where you'd play most of the game, is widescreen. Also you're right, the screens are literally no contest, as in, they are absolutely identical and thus there is no one competing one way or the other.

http://andriasang.com/comz5h/good_people_die_3ds_vita/

M-PG71C

If anything i would say MSs first party games this gen have had nearly as much impact as sonys. When is this payoff supposed to happen btw? Their only real big franchise GT is in a decline and is nowhere near as strong as it once was. Where is the big seller for sony going to come from?

First party games? Sure, but the issue with Microsoft is they lack first party studios. Most of what Microsoft does is contracted nowadays, at least it seems. That's not a bad strategy but it does have implications if things become difficult down the road.

The quality of the games are irrelevant and i have no idea why people keep bringing that up (it's completely subjective and adds nothing to the discussion). Nintendo has the best selling franchises and judging by their continued sales i'd say people must consider them to be very good.

I didn't talk about quality, I talked about IP strength. A lot of that is built upon legacy, relevance, and market value. Besides, we agreed on the same point. Nintendo drawfs anything Sony could come up with franchise wise. Sony is attempting to build it, whether or not they are successful is a different story

I don't think sony is getting there at all. Personally i don't think they're doing that much better than MS in the west. They certainly aren't making any grounds on nintendos first party which in the last generation became stronger than ever.

Sony need a massive system selling first party IP. The only one they have that fits that bill at all is GT which is declining and takes forever to actually release (and on top of that it is barely relevant on handhelds).

Couldn't say, that's very objective. But how I look at is that Sony has studios they own that can produce software. MS does too but not in the same strength/fashion. But as always, the software lineup is distinctly Western and that has its disadvantages.

PS3 has been strangely consistent the last couple years. Maybe PS4 isn't needed anytime soon? Sony keeps selling 1.5 million PS3s every year and games.

That's not really good, though.

Also they keep cutting the price to maintain parity with prior years sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Expensive handheld beaten by cheaper handhelds during holiday season.
SHOCK AND AWE.

I'm too lazy to comb through old posts, but I swear you made a few posts expressing extreme doubt that 3DS was going to do very well this holiday.

SHOCK AND AWE.

I think the absolute numbers rather than the ordering of positions is what caused this reaction. The 3DS outselling the vita this week was a given. The vita selling 70K during its second week in the holiday season was not.

Takao

Banned
I was thinking it was more entertaining when comparing it to the word Veto.

For example, Japan Veto'd the Vita.

If Vita ever has a good patch and it tops the hardware chart I will rain down with claims of "VIVA LA VITA" and will post Ricky Martin, and Coldplay music videos everywhere. It will be glorious...

jeremy1456

If Vita ever has a good patch and it tops the hardware chart I will rain down with claims of "VIVA LA VITA" and will post Ricky Martin, and Coldplay music videos everywhere. It will be glorious...

I look forward to it.

I want the Vita to succeed because panic mode Nintendo is awesome. I fear this may be the very last time we ever see Nintendo like this in regards to handhelds.

I want the Vita to succeed because panic mode Nintendo is awesome. I fear this may be the very last time we ever see Nintendo like this in regards to handhelds.

I know that this has become a very popular meme since the 3DS price cut was announced, but I don't see the historical evidence for it (GC speaks for itself), and other than the price cut itself and (likely) some of the bundles/special edition systems, none of the developments that have benefited 3DS in recent months can be really attributed to reaction to the poor post-launch sales.

Anth0ny

I know that this has become a very popular meme since the 3DS price cut was announced, but I don't see the historical evidence for it (GC speaks for itself), and other than the price cut itself and (likely) some of the bundles/special edition systems, none of the developments that have benefited 3DS in recent months can be really attributed to reaction to the poor post-launch sales.

GC was amazing.

Takao

Banned

Yeah, Monster Hunter betrayal happened just after Portable 3rd launched on PSP, so way before 3DS even launched.

jeremy1456

I think Nintendo only gets like this in regards to their lock on the handheld market.

But yeah, it is a meme. I still think Monster Hunter 4 was a result of it.

BurntPork

Banned

Yeah. Games don't pop up out of nowhere. It would have gotten these games even if it were setting the charts aflame. This all started a long time ago.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo have pretty much shown the perfect play on how to batter a rival straight out of the blocks.

I think I agree with Father_Brain that this has been in the works for a while. It helps to have the stable of IP's they have, obviously.

Korigama

Akselziys is an awesome guy, but he doesn't make those decisions for Aksys.
Not to mention how unlikely confirmation of such news ahead of an official announcement would be. Based on their 2012 release schedule, however (noting that everything else on the list has platforms specified)...
<MYSTERY GAME> - Fall 2012
It doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that the publisher is likely already decided.

Mm. I'm sure I've commented on it before, but I'm not sure what "panic mode Nintendo" has to do with stuff like Tri G, or MH4, or even the timing and quality of games like MK7 and SM3DL and the changes to the eShop. These were all things that must have been well in hand by the time the first indication that sales weren't going in the right direction started to come in.

EDIT:

...and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nintendo had stuff like the MH announcement, Tri G, MK7 and SM3DL etc. all lined up to combat the Vita launch but because of the way things happened, these things ended up looking more like a response to the performance of the 3DS rather than a response to the Vita.

Marco1

If vita fails then I wonder what the ramifications will be for Sony?
I still find it hard to believe how a console like the 360 with the hardware failures it had could beat the PS3.
I really do hope Sony has learnt all of it's mistakes this gen and comes out with a PS4 that will be a worthwhile competitor to the nextbox.
I dread to think of what MS could and would do without worthwhile competition but I am sure MS know only to well that they could put Sony out of the console business next gen with the right choices in hardware and they have the funds to do it.

I still think Monster Hunter 4 was a result of it.

Development... maybe.

Announcing out of the blue at the September conference? Definitely. That was a move that whipped up enormous interest in 3DS, and was perfectly timed. Nintendo probably would have sat on it for a bit if they hadn't needed to quickly bolster confidence in the product.

Alrus

SHOCK AND AWE.

This is not what most people are surprised about you know... It doesn't really matter if the 3DS beat it at launch because it was the expected scenario since TGS. But even taken just by themselves, the numbers for the Vita are just much much lower than what people expected.

So does anyone know when is Sony's next event? When will they unveil the next round of Vita games or make announcements or something?

IGN's TechFetish podcast mentioned that Sony will be showing off two new Vita games at CES. I'm not sure how relevant they are for a Japanese market but hey they're at least new announcements.

cvxfreak

SHOCK AND AWE.

I would love to know who thought PSP would outsell Vita on Vita's second week.

I vaguely remember people supposing that it might happen early next year, but not now.

Top Bottom