• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mario Kart and Monster Hunter are titles that have a big social impact. Not having these games while hundreds of thousands play it together feels like not being invited to a party. This is why they are phenomenon games. Mario is less social, but it's a phenomenon by itself (and I certainly don't give enough credit to its streetpass features). Swapnote is another social hit. The 3D picture contest presented by Iwata is another social attraction.

Mii support brings familiarity. Iwata presents upcoming games himself in a gym, he poses with a Love Plus model in a sofa. Familiarity.
Nintendo is very smart right now with the social aspect of the 3DS. Social is viral. Viral is success.

I think you're neglecting a very big component of the formula and that is software. Nintendo has sold so many handhelds based on Pokemon alone.

Bingo. Price is such a small component of Vita's problems. Neither is "too good graphics" a problem. The system is not really out of reach for most people. Its problem is that it doesn't have Mario, Pokemon, and MH. Just some C tier japanese games, ports of old ps2 greats, and some watered down western games no one gives two shits about. That's why it isn't going to sell past the first week.

Boney

Banned
3DS version should easily outsell the Vita one..
When is that out by the way? How much did 999 did in Japan?

If it was a low number, sales should be pretty evenly split. The higher the total sales, the bigger the split should be. Depends on Vita's momentum when it launches as well.

I'd rather get the Vita version, because it looks like a game I'd want in widescreen format. (Also the comparison screens were no contest.)

even if they used the same assets the visuals would still be no contest due to the screen tech on the Vita

userbase is the only thing to slow sales

cj_iwakura

Went and dug up the comparisons.

3DS
b00030d6-s.jpg

PSV
258fa017-s.jpg

Hyuga

Banned
Mario Kart and Monster Hunter are titles that have a big social impact. Not having these games while hundreds of thousands play it together feels like not being invited to a party. This is why they are phenomenon games.
Mother of god.....

Mii support brings familiarity. Iwata presents upcoming games himself in a gym, he poses with a Love Plus model in a sofa. Familiarity.
Nintendo is very smart right now with the social aspect of the 3DS. Social is viral. Viral is success.

I'm getting a Kevin Nealon in Happy Gilmore vibe from this post.

It's going to be a long year for the vita. It doesn't really have any big or even moderately big games coming out in the near future and it's a long time till the next holiday season.

True, but Sony's also countered the loss of third-party exclusives by building (arguably) the strongest first-party stable of developers in the industry right now.

This isn't arguable at all unless you are talking about the quality of games which is completely irrelevant to this thread (and impossible to judge so of course it's arguable). In terms of sales and the ability to move consoles nintendos franchises dwarf sonys.

In the end that's all that matters. Nintendo has an incredibly strong stable of IP's which can move a ton of HW and SW and lots of them have done this on handhelds as well (in fact quite a few are a lot stronger on handhelds). Sony doesn't have this luxury.

It also doesn't help that it looks like sonys best developers are concentrating on home consoles and not handhelds.

gogogow

Went and dug up the comparisons.

3DS
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/jin115/imgs/b/0/b00030d6-s.jpg[/img

PSV
[img]http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/jin115/imgs/2/5/258fa017-s.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

What kind of weird resolutions are those?

360p on 3DS and
340p on Vita?

Did they downsize a Vita screenshot and then blow it up again to create a 3DS screenshot?

Road

I look forward to the multi-console sale results, myself(like Good People Die being on 3DS and PSV).

No PSV/3DS yet, but we have some Vita multi-releases:

[PSV] Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix) {2011-12-17} - 29,111 / 29,111
[PSP] Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix) {2011-12-17} - 17,910 / 17,910

[PS3] Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11-nin-me no Suspect (Chunsoft) {2011-12-17} - 35,420 / 35,420
[PSV] Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11-nin-me no Suspect (Chunsoft) {2011-12-17} - 18,761 / 18,761

[PS3] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works) {2011-12-17} - 31,979 / 31,979
[PSV] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works) {2011-12-17} - < 17,000

beril

This year, so far, has 3 million sellers -- Famitsu:

[3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011-12-01} - 1,082,391 / 1,082,391
[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011-11-03} - 1,042,511 / 1,042,511
[PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010-12-01} - 1,020,986 / 4,501,975

MH3G did it not make it for Famitsu. (There still a chance it'll cross 1 million in 2011 for Media-Create.)

Anyway, we're led back again to comparing with 2005, the last time there were so few and the no. 1 sold so low:

Famitsu 2005:
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) {2005-11-23} - 1,169,757 / 1,169,757
[PS2] Gran Turismo 4 (SCE) {2004-12-28} - 1,066,749 / 1,066,749
[NDS] Brain Training (Nintendo) {2005-05-19} - 1,011,341 / 1,011,341

That brings Mario 3D Land over the last known famitsu numbers for both Galaxy games, and it just needs a few more weeks to pass SM64DS. Time to update the Mario chart!

Super Mario 64 DS 1,217,587
Super Mario Galaxy 1,017,287
Super Mario Galaxy 2 1,003,763

Takao

Banned
When is that out by the way? How much did 999 did in Japan?

If it was a low number, sales should be pretty evenly split. The higher the total sales, the bigger the split should be. Depends on Vita's momentum when it launches as well.

I want to say 999 ended around 70k in Japan. I want to say that but I'm not entirely sure.

Gotta get to 500k somehow (lol). I look forward to the iOS/ROID/PS3/Wii U announcements.

Did Hino really say 500k? Dude's messed.

gogogow

I don't know if he's joking or not. Resolution aside there's really no difference graphically.

http://andriasang.com/comz5h/good_people_die_3ds_vita/

Yeah, resolutions aside, panels aside, they are both widescreen. I think they are using Capcom's (RE4 HD) way of comparing screenshots. I don't even know why the 3DS screenshots are bigger than Vita's and blurrier. I'm sure the Vita version will have better IQ, but these shots makes no sense.

Boney

Banned
Oh I'd say a February release won't give the Vita any chance, it's not gonna be doing well by that date. People who're interested in visual novels aren't the day 1 adopters. So with an alternative available, it's not gonna do very good.

That comparison pic is a joke though, just resolution issues really.

I'd say.

I want to say 999 ended around 70k in Japan. I want to say that but I'm not entirely sure.

Well taking by the reception here in gaf, people got really invested in it, so I don't think it'll do much lower. Something like a 2:5 ratio seems reasonable.
Mother of god.....

You don't think this is true?

M-PG71C

Sony has a damn fine first party team, which will have significant payoff's in the future especially when compared to Microsoft who has virtually none.

But the strongest? I would still give that title to Nintendo. In terms of teams they are both similar. In terms of IPs Nintendo completely dwarfs everyone. It's extremely difficult to fight against Mario/Pokemon/Zelda/DK/Kirby/AC etc etc. All very well established and all are multi-million selling regardless of region. Some better than others but nonetheless.

Sony is very much getting there though. The issue they have is their IP bank right now, in terms of relevance, is very much Western. That's not bad, but you don't win by exclusion. Prehaps the Vita will force them to re-allign their Japanese development in-house.

Takao

Banned
Let the record show I'm pissed off at Japan for letting WKC: Origins outsell Jeanne D'arc (the numbers say otherwise right now, but when we get MediaCreate Top 1000 for 2011 I guarantee it).

It hit four printings in the US according to Aksys, which is damn impressive for a visual novel.

Boney said Japan...

Yeah, resolutions aside, panels aside, they are both widescreen. I think they are using Capcom's (RE4 HD) way of comparing screenshots. I don't even know why the 3DS screenshots are bigger than Vita's and blurrier. I'm sure the Vita version will have better IQ, but these shots makes no sense.

those shots are laughable. Vita wins in IQ but serious the way the 3DS shots are setup is a blatant troll :p

squall23

3DS owners: Why Gundam, and not PES 2012?
I'd like to think that the Char Red 3DS had something to do with it. Too bad the system doesn't run 3x as fast.

Also:
10./00. [WII] Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme (Level 5) {2011-12-22} - 85,117 / NEW

WTF Japan. Speaking of IE, is it possible to see the split between Shine and Dark? I want to see who chose Endou's canon (and correct) wife.

duckroll

You know what's funny with all the mention of Call of Duty? Modern Warfare 3 on the PS3 is selling about as well as Zelda Skyward Sword in Japan! Who would have thought.

Sony has a damn fine first party team, which will have significant payoff's in the future especially when compared to Microsoft who has virtually none.

If anything i would say MSs first party games this gen have had nearly as much impact as sonys. When is this payoff supposed to happen btw? Their only real big franchise GT is in a decline and is nowhere near as strong as it once was. Where is the big seller for sony going to come from?

But the strongest? I would still give that title to Nintendo. In terms of teams they are both similar. In terms of IPs Nintendo completely dwarfs everyone. It's extremely difficult to fight against Mario/Pokemon/Zelda/DK/Kirby/AC etc etc. All very well established and all are multi-million selling regardless of region. Some better than others but nonetheless.

The quality of the games are irrelevant and i have no idea why people keep bringing that up (it's completely subjective and adds nothing to the discussion). Nintendo has the best selling franchises and judging by their continued sales i'd say people must consider them to be very good.

Sony is very much getting there though. The issue they have is their IP bank right now, in terms of relevance, is very much Western. That's not bad, but you don't win by exclusion. Prehaps the Vita will force them to re-allign their Japanese development in-house.

I don't think sony is getting there at all. Personally i don't think they're doing that much better than MS in the west. They certainly aren't making any grounds on nintendos first party which in the last generation became stronger than ever.

Sony need a massive system selling first party IP. The only one they have that fits that bill at all is GT which is declining and takes forever to actually release (and on top of that it is barely relevant on handhelds).

Frillen

Call of Duty Portable will probably be Vita's savior in the west.

Why would anyone choose to play a handheld Call of Duty game over a console one? Playing FPS games on handhelds are clunky as hell and the dudebros ain't gonna leave their huge ass LED/Plasma TVs to play on a tiny screen with horrible sound. Not to mention that the Vita version will probably be gimped compared to the console versions.

You know what's funny with all the mention of Call of Duty? Modern Warfare 3 on the PS3 is selling about as well as Zelda Skyward Sword in Japan! Who would have thought.

I would have expected it to do better than Zelda
when was the last time Japan loved a console Zelda?

DGRE

Banned
I keep seeing this a lot. It really does not matter at all how the Vita compares to the launch 3DS lineup. Vita is not competing with launch 3DS lineup. It's competing with the present 3DS lineup which features the 2 big Mario titles and MonHun. It's obviously not much a competition.

And the 3DS performed better in the spring against PSP and MonHun. So I don't really get the point you're trying to make.

Why would anyone choose to play a handheld Call of Duty game over a console one? Playing FPS games on handhelds are clunky as hell and the dudebros ain't gonna leave their huge ass LED/Plasma TVs to play on a tiny screen with horrible sound.

Call of Duty in your pocket?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Not Sony. Obviously.

And the 3DS performed better in the spring against PSP and MonHun. So I don't really get the point you're trying to make.

In theory the Vita lineup is stronger than the 3DS launch lineup but quite frankly it just doesn't matter at all. The Vita's lineup is a joke compared to the 3DS right now. Hence the sales being what they are.

Takao

Banned
I'd like to think that the Char Red 3DS had something to do with it. Too bad the system doesn't run 3x as fast.

Also:
10./00. [WII] Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 Xtreme (Level 5) {2011-12-22} - 85,117 / NEW

WTF Japan. Speaking of IE, is it possible to see the split between Shine and Dark? I want to see who chose Endou's canon (and correct) wife.

Dengeki had first week sales of Shine at 79,262 copies, and Dark at 61,757 copies.

Two franchises I'm indifferent about enter a room...

On another subjectm looks like PS3 will be down just so slightly YoY for 2011.

Went back and looked, it was basically ~1.6m 2009, ~1.5m 2010, ~1.5m 2011

I dont know if that's good, bad, or indifferent for PS3. I guess the latter.

watershed

Banned
So does anyone know when is Sony's next event? When will they unveil the next round of Vita games or make announcements or something?

dacuk

My feeling right now is that if the Vita flops, I'll be at the point that I want to just quit gaming. Yeah, I'm just moody today, but ugh. I loved the PSP, but it never got the foothold it really should have, and I hoped the Vita would make up for that. Now I'm sitting here saying to myself "I'll be happy if it just gets the popularity and support the PSP had".

It's way too early for me (or anybody) to doom the Vita, but I wish it could have started out stronger. If the 3DS is going to steal some of the franchises that were PSP regulars before, at least give us Vita versions as well. If I can just have that, I'll be satisfied.

I just wish we could live in a world where every major game was on every platform, and you just picked the one that gave you the experience playing it that you wanted. Video games suck. (And I suck for getting so stressed over them!)

Shidoshi, just buy a 3DS, man.

Speculation time - last week's number 48 title (xbox ff13 2) sold 10k seeing as sales are generally up this week and vita has dropped so much could we possibly see no vita games at all in the top 50

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So does anyone know when is Sony's next event? When will they unveil the next round of Vita games or make announcements or something?

The main events Sony attends are:

CES: Will almost assuredly not have Vita games.

GDC: They usually show up at this, though recently it's more things like Move games or things already announced. It's possible Vita games would be here, but they would very likely be first/second party.

PlayStation Showcase: This usually consists of first party titles for consoles and happens sometime in April-May. Basically it is where they show their published games to the press prior to E3, so I wouldn't really expect third party games there.

E3: This is really a console show. Odds are high that they won't have many Vita games, and that the ones they do are largely full looks at what they showed at the PlayStation Showcase. Anything else, if it shows up, will likely be a third party Western game like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

TGS: This is basically the only event they hold where they focus on handheld titles.

So, I would say the most likely place to see more Japanese Vita announcements would be in Famitsu like how Gundam just got announced.

Top Bottom