• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

soundwave05 said:
I never said the PSP wouldn't do well itself.

DS is just at an unprecidented level in Japan right now.

That's why I asked about potential lifetime sales. If the GBA audience moves on to DS en masse, not only would the DS skyrocket in terms of market share, but the PSP would likely pick up a percentage of those sales, strengthening its overall install base even as its marketshare dwindles.

I'm just wondering if we're looking at console-type lifetime numbers here: 80-100M for DS; about 20-30M for PSP -- based on the GBA upgrade speculation.

ghostlyjoe said:
That's why I asked about potential lifetime sales. If the GBA audience moves on to DS en masse, not only would the DS skyrocket in terms of market share, but the PSP would likely pick up a percentage of those sales, strengthening its overall install base even as its marketshare dwindles.

I'm just wondering if we're looking at console-type lifetime numbers here: 80-100M for DS; about 20-30M for PSP -- based on the GBA upgrade speculation.

The PSP is just its own audience anyway. There is some overlap sure, but really I see the PSP market and DS/GBA being a bit more distinct.

DS will get the GBA audience here in North America though, that's just inevitable IMO.

ioi

Banned
Dalthien said:
That's the same problem that I have with the site. I'm sure that a fair amount of time and research goes into your numbers, along with a fair amount of mathematical analysis, and I'm not discouraging you from continuing that in any way - but it seems that it would only be right (and in the interests of full-disclosure and fair reporting) to make sure that the numbers on your site are sourced properly, and that any of your own numbers are clearly labeled as such.

Again, I think that you do a pretty good job with your numbers, and you obviously put a lot of time into trying to follow trends and project these trends into the future - but that is exactly what Media Create and Famitsu do as well, and they are professional firms that make their livings at this. From what you were saying, it sounds as though you apply ajustment factors to Famitsu's and Media Create's numbers - but they have already spent a lot of time and money researching the best adjustment factors that they already apply to the data. Their numbers are not 100% perfect, but they are as close as anyone is going to get. Media Create tracks more than half of retail in Japan, and has researched the best possible methods for estimating the remaining retail that they don't track. And Famitsu isn't far behind Media Create with their retail tracking. If these firms weren't very close with their numbers - then they wouldn't be paid huge dollars for their reports. And for the most part - Media Create and Famitsu track very close to each other. Dengeki is often a bit further apart with their numbers from Famitsu and Media Create - but I usually just focus on Famitsu and Media Create anyway.

Anyway, the point is that I think it would be appropriate for you to fully label and disclose where all of your numbers come from (including your own numbers) so that people who visit your site know just where the information is coming from.

I agree with the majority of what you say, and I agree that in the main Media Create and Famitsu tend to track pretty close to one another in terms of sales, especially with games that have large first weeks and drop off quickly so it makes sense that they are pretty accurate for many games.

Things have improved a lot over the years and I believe that Media Create and Famitsu sales are much much closer to the actual numbers now than they ever were in the past.

Have a look back over:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2483252&postcount=176

for some strong examples of the kind of disparities I am talking about. They do differ from game to game, but from the trends I have then the scale factors I use give a good first guess to the actual numbers, and they tend to be pretty close to the numbers that are given to us.

For example, Pokemon Stadium Gold/Silver back in 2001 did the following:

226,185 week 1
115,548 week 2
39,242 week 3

780,017 in total (stopped tracking about mid 2003).

Nintendo said in the CESA gaming report 2004 that upto Dec 2003 (again by this point you presume that the game is no longer in production / selling etc) that they shipped 1.14m.

So what I do is go back and say 1.14/0.80 (taking 800k from the Famitsu number plus a little for maybe surplus stock and so forth) = 1.425

So week 1 sales = 226,185 * 1.425 = 322,000
week 2 = 115,548 * 1.425 = 164,500

and so on (only I have first average Famitsu with Dengeki and MC so you'll find different numbers on Everything and Nothing) but the fundamental idea is that the sales are adjusted to match the shipment numbers given out by manufacturers. This is why I said anything over a year old on the chart is accurate (and by accurate I mean the best possible guess you'll ever get to how the game ACTUALLY sold based on fitting the weekly trends given by MC/Fam/Deng to the total amount of the game sold). Of course this is based upon the assumption that number of copies sold = number of copies shipped, but for a game released 5 years ago that has stopped selling a long time ago I think this is a fair assumption.

Using this data, there are some strong trends over the years, basically that MC/Fam/Deng have got better and better at estimating the sales as I said above, but for Nintendo games especially they are ~10% too low on average. So for a first guess I adjust number up by about 10% and then adjust this scaling factor when more accurate shipping numbers and so on become available.

The only numbers that I 'estimate' are when the game drops out of the top 30 / top 50 and this is usually based upon monthly info so if a game sold 8,000 in October and it's a 4 week month and then 6,000 in Nov which is a 4 week month also then it would be reasonable to suggest that weekly sales would be about 2 and a bit thousand at the start of Oct and a bit less than 1.5k at the end of Nov and drop between the two, so maybe 2.2k, 2.0k, 1.8k, 1.6k (giving 8k for Oct) and 1.6k, 1.5k, 1.5k, 1.4k for Nov (giving 6k). Alternatively if sales are across a month like Aug - Sept then there is always a slight boost around end of August so numbers will be 'estimated' to reflect this.

Either way, the numbers are being fitted to what we know.

Nothing is being 'guessed' as such, just filling in the blanks that you would normally have to pay lots of money to purchase the accurate versions of.

The idea of adjusting numbers by a factor (like the 1.425 Pokemon Stadium example above) may be more questionable to some people but as I said in the other thread what other way would you deal with the fact that Famistu have tracked 0.78m copies of a game being sold that Nintendo have shipped 1.14m copies of?

I do believe that the numbers on that site (certainly pre 2005) are a much much more accurate depiction of how games sold than the famitsu charts of the time showed. Famitsu only tracked ~5m copies of Pokemon Red / Green / Blue sold compared to 10.24m copies that Nintendo shipped in Japan. They knew they were miles out and just added random numbers to the game some weeks (the total would increase by 750k from one week to another) in an attempt to rectify the fact their tracking was way off.

Here you go:

Famitsu chart for two weeks ending 4th May 97:
http://www.sfoxstudio.com/sell/1997/19970421.htm

Famitsu chart for week ending 11th May 97:
http://www.sfoxstudio.com/sell/1997/19970505.htm

The first chart shows Pokemon on 1,789,550 copies and a week later it's on 2,457,181 after only selling 56,611 copies that week, a 611,020 difference that Famitsu have just added in (or more likely they have added 1/3 to the sales).

Notice also Mario Kart 64 on ~756k and Donkey Kong Country 3 on ~662k, a far cry from the 2.24m Mario Kart 64 shipped and 1.77m DKC 3 shipped.

Exhibit B:

Week ending 28th Sep 97:
http://www.sfoxstudio.com/sell/1997/19970922.htm

Pokemon on 3,419,775

Week ending 5th Oct 97 (week later):
http://www.sfoxstudio.com/sell/1997/19970929.htm

Pokemon is on 4,209,464 after selling 39,689 in the week between.

Famitsu have just stuck 750,000 onto the total !!

All of this was no doubt after Nintendo released press statements such as:

http://www.virtualpet.com/vp/news/111897b.htm

Reuters
09:12 a.m. Nov 18, 1997 Eastern
By Miki Shimogori

The sales of the Pocket Monster, or Pokemon, adopted for Nintendo's Gameboy player totalled 6.94 million units since its first launch in February last year and Nintendo said it plans to launch a new series of the software on Friday.

So 6.94 vs ~ 4.6m from Famitsu (and that's after adding on 611,000 + 750,000) so numbers were basically miles off.

As I say, these days Famitsu and MC are much much better (presumably larger coverage, much better scaling as you said etc) but they do still tend to be around this magic 10% too low, but obviously until these games stop selling and we have final shipment and final sales numbers we can't prove it either way *bookmarks thread* :D

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ghostlyjoe said:

Considering the GBA (all versions) has only shipped 70 million as of the end of September, I think your DS number is too high.

Fuzzy said:
Considering the GBA (all versions) has only shipped 70 million as of the end of September, I think your DS number is too high.

It's just blind specualtion anyway. I have absolutely nothign to back it up. I was simply trying to show how the PSP could succeed with a vastly inferior install base (ala the XBox -- no one is calling that a failure, but it's numbers compared to PS2 aboslutely mirror the number above). It was a simple rhetorical device.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
soundwave05 said:
Nah I see pretty high totals for the PSP ... 40-50 million quite handily I think.
40-50 is way too high.

the # of PSPs actually sold to consumers worldwide is somewhere in the vicinity of 6-7 million, right?

I don't see the PSP yearly sales dramatically increasing over the long term even when taking into account price drops. PSP has already seen GTA, and there's no sign of a big killer app for japan.

I suppose 30-35 million is possible

jarrod

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Nah I see pretty high totals for the PSP ... 40-50 million quite handily I think.
Depends on it's lifecycle, if Sony plans to try and extend Nintendo's 3 year handheld cycle to 5 years (before PSP2) then maybe. If things move along the same course though, in 2 more years I think we'll probably see sales along the lines of...

PSP
AP~ 5-7 million
NA~ 13-15 million
EU~ 10-12 million
WW~ 27-34 million

AP~ 16-18 million
NA~ 15-17 million
EU~ 10-12 million
WW~ 41-47 million

...DS could shoot higher even though depending on how GBA winds down in America. If a $99 pricepoint plus Pokemon really do bring in that market, it'll be about 10 million higher than that. China could be a wildcard new market too, depending on how they take to DS and if SCEI ever launches PSP there.

jarrod

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Those figures don't include the GB Player or iQue GBA. :p

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Some of these naysayers still just don't "get it". Pokemon is only 1 of 20 or so games that will seriously drive DS sales next year to again break records. DS had a poor period between Feb-April because of the lack of a killer app but the DS will have tons of new systems sellers in 06 not just Pokemon. PSP will still be around but no price drop will save it they need SOFTWARE that portable gamers want to play and Sony hasn't figured out what that is yet.

Dalthien

ioi,

I really don't have any problem with you applying whatever statistical approaches you believe work best with the numbers. I'm a math geek myself, so I certainly appreciate the fact that you have done a good amount of statistical correlation for the data.

The point I was trying to make (and Fuzzy echoed) was that you shouldn't just throw up numbers without any explanation of where the numbers came from. Maybe put up a disclaimer on your home page that the numbers on the site are your own best estimates of the sales data - and maybe explain your methodology for arriving at your conclusions. But as it stands now, to the untrained eye it appears as though you are posting data as tracked by a professional firm. For the first few weeks you had the site up, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what source you were taking your data from, and I couldn't find any explanation on the site of where the data came from. As far as I could tell, it was just some fanboy's attempt at inflating Nintendo sales data.

In any case, just label Famitsu or Media Create data as such on your site - and label your own estimates as such on your site. That way, everyone knows what they're looking at, and people don't have to enter your site with a big dose of skepticism with respect to where the numbers may be coming from.

Edit - Actually, I think Fuzzy may have made the point first, and I echoed it. Just so I don't incur Fuzzy's wrath. :)

Zen

Banned
Ryu Ga Gotoku PS2 Sega 11/12/05 132,500 132,500
Ryu Ga Gotoku PS2 Sega 18/12/05 50,500 183,000
Ryu Ga Gotoku PS2 Sega 25/12/05 33,500 216,500

Ryu Go Goto has some semblance of a healthy shelf life, tthey'll probably sell around 250k in Japan when it's all said and done. Assuming they made 30 dollars per unit sold they only need to sell around another 400k worldwide to break even.

They might actually do it...

Shaheed79 said:
Some of these naysayers still just don't "get it". Pokemon is only 1 of 20 or so games that will seriously drive DS sales next year to again break records. DS had a poor period between Feb-April because of the lack of a killer app but the DS will have tons of new systems sellers in 06 not just Pokemon. PSP will still be around but no price drop will save it they need SOFTWARE that portable gamers want to play and Sony hasn't figured out what that is yet.

More than anything, the PSP needs a new IP or a complete reimagining of an established franchise to really differentiate its library from the PS2's. Lumines COULD have been that killer ap, but it wasn't. GTA-PSP probably never had a chance. PSP needs it's own Mario 64 or Halo -- something that's new and exciting and can be had nowhere else.

ioi

Banned
Dalthien said:
ioi,

I really don't have any problem with you applying whatever statistical approaches you believe work best with the numbers. I'm a math geek myself, so I certainly appreciate the fact that you have done a good amount of statistical correlation for the data.

The point I was trying to make (and Fuzzy echoed) was that you shouldn't just throw up numbers without any explanation of where the numbers came from. Maybe put up a disclaimer on your home page that the numbers on the site are your own best estimates of the sales data - and maybe explain your methodology for arriving at your conclusions. But as it stands now, to the untrained eye it appears as though you are posting data as tracked by a professional firm. For the first few weeks you had the site up, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what source you were taking your data from, and I couldn't find any explanation on the site of where the data came from. As far as I could tell, it was just some fanboy's attempt at inflating Nintendo sales data.

In any case, just label Famitsu or Media Create data as such on your site - and label your own estimates as such on your site. That way, everyone knows what they're looking at, and people don't have to enter your site with a big dose of skepticism with respect to where the numbers may be coming from.

Edit - Actually, I think Fuzzy may have made the point first, and I echoed it. Just so I don't incur Fuzzy's wrath. :)

That's fine and I agree with what you have both said. The point I tried to make is that none of the numbers are 'famitsu' and none are 'media create' they are all a mix-mash combination of the two along with dengeki along with cesa yearly reports along with any other statistical data available so it's impossible to 'source' any of it.

The source is 'Everything and Nothing', which is inherantly a combination of a number of different factors.

As I've said, I fully understand where you're coming from and my previous post is some attempt on my part to validate the methods we are using to come up with the numbers for any math geeks who may be interested.

For anyone else I'd say use the site as a rough guide, just as you do with any other source of data. I personally believe that the numbers are closer to actual than MC / Famitsu but then I would do, wouldn't I? I know that is certainly true of all numbers pre 2005 and come end of 2006 I'll be able to say the same for 2005 numbers and so on.

I hope I've managed to explain adequately enough for people- any more questions then feel free to ask :D

cvxfreak

Everything and Nothing is pretty neat as a source of sales, but unfortunately it's not official, so it can only go as far when it comes to reliability. If I wrote an academic paper on the Japanese video game market's progression throughout the late 90's to the present, I'm sorry ioi but it's not something I can use as a source.

Nintendo itself uses Media Create in their presentations so that's good enough for me as well.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
ghostlyjoe said:
More than anything, the PSP needs a new IP or a complete reimagining of an established franchise to really differentiate its library from the PS2's. Lumines COULD have been that killer ap, but it wasn't. GTA-PSP probably never had a chance. PSP needs it's own Mario 64 or Halo -- something that's new and exciting and can be had nowhere else.

Exactly. MHP was a good start but they need to think even more expansive and rewarding experiences but always keep it simple enough to pick up and enjoy in short bursts of play. Portable games need to have addicting qualities centered around its core gameplay that constantly reward the player for a quick feeling of satisfaction. You know those type of console games that take 8 hours to beat with little to no reason to play them over again? They are really nice immersive and fun experiences while they last but these are the LAST type of games portable gamers want. Portable gamers desire tons of VALUE. They want portable games that can last them 200 train rides and never gets repetitive or boring.

ioi

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Everything and Nothing is pretty neat as a source of sales, but unfortunately it's not official, so it can only go as far when it comes to reliability. If I wrote an academic paper on the Japanese video game market's progression throughout the late 90's to the present, I'm sorry ioi but it's not something I can use as a source.

Nintendo itself uses Media Create in their presentations so that's good enough for me as well.

I agree to a point. The main purpose of Everything and Nothing's Japanese VG section is for past sales of older games going back pre 2000, heck pre 95 which we don't have any other real numbers for.

The numbers on E&N aren't drastically different to Media Create / Famitsu over the last couple of years (both services have improved drastically as I've said) and since E&N numbers are based on them then of course I agree that they would be the 'reputable source' you would use if writing an academic paper and so on.

I hope as a useful insight into historic sales, a neat database-driven way of comparing sales of various games, and as a (in my opinion) slightly more 'accurate' slant on todays sales that people hopefully find the site useful and quite unique.

Shrine of Data was a good site, but flipped from using Dengeki one minute to Famitsu the next, scraps of NPD data for US numbers etc, but as soon as a game dropped off the top 30 they took that as it's final sales, yet many games (nintendo especially) sell some good numbers just outside of the top 30 as well so we have tried to show this a little more fairly as well, and as I say the fact it's all database driven should make it useful for comparing game to game.

We will hopefully be doing the same with hardware in the near future so stay tuned :D

The only game that E&N is tracking widly different to MC is Brain Training and I have tried to explain the reasoning behind that in the '5.44m DS sold' thread the other day that I believe that much like the Pokemon example listed above (albeit on a much smaller scale) that a number of sales have been missed (maybe due to significant sales at non-gaming stores as Jonnyram suggested).

Yamaha98

The onslaught from the DS will seriously affect any possibility of the X360 in japan from achieving even the 75K sales mark w/ DOA4. Seriously, the DS is not only killing its rival handheld but also squashing any interest in the new, next-gen hardware. Does MS Japan have any other titles in store besides DOA4 in the coming weeks that the natives may have interest in?

mutsu

Man... just woke up and got back to work and come to GAF, and I am greeted with this? Shocking morning with shocking sales... 1 million Animal Crossing in what, 4 weeks? Crazy....

EDIT: It was 5 weeks for AC, but close enough.

Yamaha98 said:
The onslaught from the DS will seriously affect any possibility of the X360 in japan from achieving even the 75K sales mark w/ DOA4. Seriously, the DS is not only killing its rival handheld but also squashing any interest in the new, next-gen hardware. Does MS Japan have any other titles in store besides DOA4 in the coming weeks that the natives may have interest in?

I really doubt handheld sales are going to effect console sales like that. For one thing, the games are being directed towards a completely different crowd...the DS having games for non-gamers and DOA4 being much more traditional and for the hardcore early adopters.

I could see Rev getting heavy Japanese support though ... similar to how the DS gets strong Japanese support.

Rev really has to sell more than the GCN there though ... if they can get to at least 8 million Revolutions sold in Japan vs. like 3.5 million GameCubes, I'd expect a lot of good Japanese support from Square-Enix, Namco, Capcom, Sega, Konami, etc.

Which in turn means more good games for us in the West. So win-win all around.

ioi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
The DS won't shift Japanese developers from PS3 to Revolution, as some here are trying to imply. This notion is completely laughable.

Why is it so laughable?

Are the handheld and home console markets really that different??

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:
Looking at PSP... yes. :p

Agreed, and I myself have argued that a few times in the past that Sony have completely missed the mark with PSP.

Do you think that if exactly the same software had been released on PS3 in it's first year of release that it would have been a different story? Or do you think people are getting tired in general of the 'Playstation formula' and are looking to Nintendo's new approach and loving it (in Japan anyway)?

If I recall properly, which I very well may not, GBA was also a huge smash in Japan. How much did this help Gamecube? How did that "connectivity" thing go over?

Of course, you could argue that GBA isn't the "overwhelming" success that DS is proving to be, but to say that it is going to switch developer support on consoles, where Sony dominates, is laughable. Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market, that they are getting most of the software is unsurprising. Square gave healthy support to the GBA before the DS, but didn't give them anything substantive on their console (FF:CC is /not/ substantive, though could have been vastly improved without the ridiculous gimmicky GBA connectivity... and weren't they /forced/ to make a game to get into the handheld market anyway?).

Rev and PS3 are so radically different in horsepower too ... I don't think a dev could just say "well, lets take our PS3 game and put it on Revolution instead" ... Rev titles will have to be built from scratch and the system will likley have a different kind of audience on top of that.

So I don't think there will be a direct switch.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ioi said:
Agreed, and I myself have argued that a few times in the past that Sony have completely missed the mark with PSP.

Do you think that if exactly the same software had been released on PS3 in it's first year of release that it would have been a different story? Or do you think people are getting tired in general of the 'Playstation formula' and are looking to Nintendo's new approach and loving it (in Japan anyway)?
Games like KH2 and Rogue Galaxy shows that people aren't exactly "tired" of the Playstation formula, but they are willing to try "new" types of games on the DS. I think the PS3 and Revolution will both be successful, regardless of who sells more units. The PS3 can play "standard" games and the Revolution can be for consumers who want to try something different.

jarrod

Banned
ioi said:
ADo you think that if exactly the same software had been released on PS3 in it's first year of release that it would have been a different story?
I expect it will actually, PS3's looking like sequelville in Japan. Though obviously, PS3 won't have the burden of another format with just as much JP support out the gates.

ioi said:
Or do you think people are getting tired in general of the 'Playstation formula' and are looking to Nintendo's new approach and loving it (in Japan anyway)?
To some degree both. Software sales really reflect that too... but I don't really expect to see PS3 unseated anytime soon. At the end of 2006/going into 2007 I expect the Japanese development community to still be firmly focused on Sony consoles and Nintendo handhelds, with multiplatform affairs, 1st party contracted software and unique low budget stuff being mostly what makes it elsewhere.

Yamaha98

clearacell said:
I really doubt handheld sales are going to effect console sales like that. For one thing, the games are being directed towards a completely different crowd...the DS having games for non-gamers and DOA4 being much more traditional and for the hardcore early adopters.

I do not think its as clear like apples & oranges like you described, but I see your point. Still, the DS is selling like mad in japan- basically dominating the charts & putting a hurtin on others. Yet I doubt that even the DS is needed to severly affect the x360 sales, heck they are hurting themselves.

QUESTION- I know it is still extremely early, but how long of lackluster showing of MS in JP will it take for developers to contemplate future titles for the x360? How much did the original xbox sell within an year of launch & how many developers were on board compared to present?

I am no Xbot (though I enjoyed Halo2 for a shortbit) but sure as hell do not want to see them lose badly & leave the market altogether. The less competitors in an industry will be a big lose to customers all around. Just look at EA's market dominace in sports genre & how $hitty their games can get.

mutsu

Archie said:
Games like KH2 and Rogue Galaxy shows that people aren't exactly "tired" of the Playstation formula, but they are willing to try "new" types of games on the DS. I think the PS3 and Revolution will both be successful, regardless of who sells more units. The PS3 can play "standard" games and the Revolution can be for consumers who want to try something different.

Quite agreed. That's exactly the point that Nintendo is trying to make. They are not competing with Sony, they want to be something different, and hopefully different and attractive enough that everyone who owns a PS3 will say "hey, I want to try some of Revolution too", and ends up selling enough consoles (might not outsell PS3, but should be successful enough) to convince developers to create original games for them.

QUESTION- I know it is still extremely early, but how long of lackluster showing of MS in JP will it take for developers to contemplate future titles for the x360? How much did the original xbox sell within an year of launch & how many developers were on board compared to present?

Actually, Capcom gave XBOX quite a big backup back in those days. You have Tekki, you have Dino Crisis 3, amongst others. But that didn't help it pick up. I suspect this time around it will be similar with Sakaguchi's stuff. There might be a few good games to give it a push in the beginning, but once the developers know that it's just pointless to continue development on the platform, they will stop and switch to others.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Every time I see GC total it got smaller... :lol
I have it at 4.249.595 without this week, obviously.
People keep referring to the Dengeki numbers that we got a few weeks ago, which didn't include any numbers from 2001.

EDIT - Was it Media Create? Whichever, the point still stands.

jarrod

Banned
Archie said:
Games like KH2 and Rogue Galaxy shows that people aren't exactly "tired" of the Playstation formula
At the same time, I think it's safe to say they're "tiring" though. "Games like KH2 and Rogue Galaxy" likely would've sold a bit better in 1998...

About Revolution and PS3 games.

Example: Pawafuru Pro Baseball

Its multiplatform (PS2,GC) but it does quite better on PS2.
I see it on PS3, the normal game, with +1 in the title. But I also see it on Revo, but not the same game, lets call it spin-off because it won't be the normal game in the series. It'll probably have to use the new controller for something else.

It'll be up to the people to choose the one they want, or both, or no one... :lol

ioi

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
If I recall properly, which I very well may not, GBA was also a huge smash in Japan. How much did this help Gamecube? How did that "connectivity" thing go over?

Of course, you could argue that GBA isn't the "overwhelming" success that DS is proving to be, but to say that it is going to switch developer support on consoles, where Sony dominates, is laughable. Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market, that they are getting most of the software is unsurprising. Square gave healthy support to the GBA before the DS, but didn't give them anything substantive on their console (FF:CC is /not/ substantive, though could have been vastly improved without the ridiculous gimmicky GBA connectivity... and weren't they /forced/ to make a game to get into the handheld market anyway?).

Again i agree largely with what you're saying, my problem is that people keep seeing DS as the new GBA and I don't.

I see it as a kind of third Nintendo handheld, third Nintendo console and third something completely new.

It is not getting the typical GBA games (although it likely will be getting a lot in the future). To date, the games that have done so well are all-new games and risks that Nintendo have taken. I said previously that for every Nintendogs there are two Electroplanktons or Touch Golfs. But they are taking risks and being creative and I like it. A lot.

It's their ethos and style of development (lots of risks, low budget games, new ideas, new control methods) that will be similar between Rev and DS and that is why the DS success is so encouraging.

Yamauchi

Banned
Did the GBA ever have a 3rd party million-seller in Japan? The DS will soon have its first, which is pretty significant.

ioi

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Every time I see GC total it got smaller... :lol
I have it at 4.249.595 without this week, obviously.

Ah, btw, really different markets, after PSP even more...

And compared to ~3.84m shipments from Nintendo upto end of Sept.

Yamaha98

So Nintendo may have known for sometime now that they could not have competed on next-gen hardware levels like Sony & Microsoft, so they have been on content w/ #2 place in the market? Basically leaving the fight for #1 between the two giants while they try to promote a 'differet' image w/ innovation & fun-factor without all the hoopla of cgi level graphics. If they succeed in recapturing the second spot worldwide, then they may have pulled off the best business stragedy in gaming history without spending the boatloads of investment the loser will have. Should be interesting to see how the market forms in a year & half from now. :)

mutsu

Yamauchi said:
Did the GBA ever have a 3rd party million-seller in Japan? The DS will soon have its first, which is pretty significant.

Yeah it's hard for handheld games to sell a million, especially 3rd party ones. So Tamagotchi is really doing extremely well here.

I just wish that other, more traditional handheld games don't bomb. Games such as Dragon Quest Slime Mori Mori 2 deserve better sales. I think games like these are largely eclipsed by Animal Forest and Mario Kart DS... sad :(

dyls

Here's a fun fact.

There are 604,800 seconds in one week. So the DS hardware sold at a rate of almost exactly 1 per second. (without excluding hours that the stores were closed)

olimario

Banned
dyls said:
Here's a fun fact.

There are 604,800 seconds in one week. So the DS hardware sold at a rate of almost exactly 1 per second. (without excluding hours that the stores were closed)

:lol
That is awesome

Yamauchi

Banned
mutsu said:
Yeah it's hard for handheld games to sell a million, especially 3rd party ones. So Tamagotchi is really doing extremely well here.

I just wish that other, more traditional handheld games don't bomb. Games such as Dragon Quest Slime Mori Mori 2 deserve better sales. I think games like these are largely eclipsed by Animal Forest and Mario Kart DS... sad :(
That's true, but I don't think the game you mentioned is a bomb at all. ~160,000 copies sold is quite good, and it has steadily risen on the charts from 25 on the last chart to 14 now. And how many do you have to sell to make a profit off a game like that?

Top Bottom