• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
dyls said:
Did you know?

There are 604,800 seconds in one week. So the DS hardware sold at a rate of almost exactly 1 per second. (without excluding hours that the stores were closed)
Fixed it for you.

mutsu

Yamauchi said:
That's true, but I don't think the game you mentioned is a bomb at all. ~160,000 copies sold is quite good, and it has steadily risen on the charts from 25 on the last chart to 14 now. And how many do you have to sell to make a profit off a game like that?

Where did you get this number from?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Fuzzy said:
NCL doesn't use that though, NoA does. :)
What does NCL use?
confused.gif

maharg

idspispopd
My Arms Your Hearse said:
The DS won't shift Japanese developers from PS3 to Revolution, as some here are trying to imply. This notion is completely laughable.

I think you're missing the real thrust of such arguments. It isn't that the DS is going to lure devs onto the Rev so much as that handhelds are completely and utterly destroying the console business in Japan. Even the PS2 is in a huge slump in what should be a pretty good year for it (last years of successful consoles are usually pretty good -- the PSX even sold quite well through the PS2 launch year in Japan, iirc).

The reason people think the Rev will be more successful in Japan than previous Nintendo consoles, and even possibly the PS3, is really just that Japan seems incredibly *bored*. I don't think anyone really believes this argument holds too much weight outside Japan though.

AniHawk

What the fuck.

Every week sales top themselves. It has to stop sometime. Next week's sales should be lower. Not even steady, but lower.

Animal Crossing though... holy shit. Potential for 2,000,000 right there. I knew the game would be huge, but I didn't know it'd be the biggest handheld game since Pokemon! Brain Training DS broke 1,000,000 as well. Fantastic legs that thing has had. It's been on the charts for what? 7 months or so? Just astronomical.

Kingdom Hearts II had pretty good initial sales. Might be able to pull off 1.5 million or more with interntational rereleases and whatnot.

cvxfreak

Wait, is the peak holiday period next week (26th-1st), the one after that, or this last week? Last year this was the week.

CVXFREAK said:
Wait, is the peak holiday period next week (26th-1st), the one after that, or this last week? Last year this was the week.

Yeah the last week of the year heading into New Year's is the biggest in Japan ... not this one.

That's why Brain Training 2 is coming out now rather than last week. Nintendo knows this is the biggest week of the year.

Could DS top 700k?

2 million for Animal Crossing now seems possible, but it'll probably take a while into 2006 for it to get there.

Brain Training 2's initial sales will probably propel sales of Brain Training games to over 2 million for the year in Japan alone as well (wowza), with the three versions of the game possibly topping 3 million sold.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:

I think it's the first week of the year. Well, it was always like that for Gamecube sales.

mutsu

This week is definitely not the biggest. Next week is. Japanese don't really celebrate Christmas, but they celebrate 1st of Jan like there's no tomorrow. People get otoshidama (money, much like the red pocket tradition of the Chinese), and then people start buying. Many people also buy gifts for the new year holiday. It's huge.

mutsu said:
This week is definitely not the biggest. Next week is. Japanese don't really celebrate Christmas, but they celebrate 1st of Jan like there's no tomorrow. People get otoshidama (money, much like the red pocket tradition of the Chinese), and then people start buying. Many people also buy gifts for the new year holiday. It's huge.

Yeah its kinda scary .... but DS sales should in theory be bigger next week.

Yamauchi said:
That's true, but I don't think the game you mentioned is a bomb at all. ~160,000 copies sold is quite good, and it has steadily risen on the charts from 25 on the last chart to 14 now. And how many do you have to sell to make a profit off a game like that?

Well, I don't know how much it takes to develop on the DS, but I would say 27,000 - 33,000. That would net them over or near a million. If it sold over 100,000 I think it would be safe to say Square Enix is making quite a decent profit. Still they are used to their games selling well. So Slime Mori Mori 2 was probably on the lower side of sales and profit so far. They don't have to spend as much on the carts as on the GBA though, and it isn't 3d like on a console so it was definitely cheaper to make. So I bet they are fairly happy.

mutsu said:
Where did you get this number from?

It is an estimate I believe. That is what a ~ symbol means.

AniHawk

soundwave05 said:
Yeah its kinda scary .... but DS sales should in theory be bigger next week.

I think DCharlie said there've been shortages everywhere. Maybe it was Jonnyram saying what he heard from DCharlie.

But most likely I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Though Nintendo should enjoy the success now, because it's likely they'll never see anything quite like this for a long time. Even a DS redesign for next year or a GBA 2 wouldn't be as popular. This is nuts.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
AniHawk said:
I think DCharlie said there've been shortages everywhere.

That translation from Dengeki Online seemed to say that Animal Crossing supplies were failing to meet demand. There has to be a point at which Nintendo can't manufacture and ship enough hardware and AC to market - perhaps we'll see some kind of plateau in sales over the next 2 weeks?

DS really is in unchartered territory. Sales could be monsterous for the coming (current) week if they get enough stock.

egon.jpg

Dr. Egon Spengler: Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of video game sales in the Japan area. Based on this morning's DS sales, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

winston.jpg

... That's a big Twinkie.

For you guys looking for Slime Mori Mori 2 numbers. Should end up at about 300k considering there's still a week left of high sales.

Jonnyram said:
Shinobi is saying that Nintendogs sold 100k between them, as did the two versions of Rockman EXE 6. Gentle Brain Training also sold about 100k, taking it to a total of 850k and Slime Mori Mori DQ2 is at a total of 200k now.

monkeyrun

If I recall properly, which I very well may not, GBA was also a huge smash in Japan. How much did this help Gamecube? How did that "connectivity" thing go over?
yeah, GBA probably did better than PSP, but it was never DS level. The numbers DS's pulling right now is pretty insane.

mutsu

monkeyrun said:
yeah, GBA probably did better than PSP, but it was never DS level. The numbers DS's pulling right now is pretty insane.

Well GBA wasn't really that far behind. Iwata said in the recent conference that DS sold 5 million in 12 months and 3 weeks, while GBA took 14 months and PS2 took 17 months. So GBA was really big back in its days.

But of course, DS is just crazy. Exceptionally.

The DS won't shift Japanese developers from PS3 to Revolution, as some here are trying to imply. This notion is completely laughable.
be that as it may, what´ll sway support will be the hypothetical success of the Revolution, not the DS.

like i said earlier, im not trying to draw parrellels between portable and console gaming, but Nintendo´s stratedgy has more to do with the games, and price of the system, more than it has to do with it being portable or not.

this is why so many of us assume that things are looking quite good for the Revolution right now. it has nothing to do with the DS, but with the stratedgy that´s been proven to work in spades.

I think every 3rd party in Japan is now looking at Nintendo and seriously wondering what's going on there.

Not just the hardware DS/Rev or whether they link up or anything like that ... just the whole philosophy that Nintendo has may attract Japanese 3rd parties to also join the fray and develop more for the DS/Rev.

Right now, after seeing these numbers, I wonder how many Japanese devs may be more inclined to greenlight DS and Revolution projects ... the Revolution basically follows the same philosophy as the DS (infact its probably even bolder in that respect), so that might excite more devs.

05. NDS Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Force 157.786 511.704 (Nintendo)
06. GBA Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red Rescue Force 156.430 512.054 (Nintendo)

Yup, I called it. Next week GBA will sell 1,500 more than the DS version. Then the week after the DS one will beat the GBA one by 3,200.

Well it looks like Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon will become its own franchise now too.

Chunsoft developed this one right? They must be giddy as fuck.

Imagine if Nintendo ever let Square-Enix do a Pokemon spin-off ...

cvxfreak

I can imagine Square Enix creating something like Pokemon Tactics: Ruby Kingdom for GBA and Sapphire Island for DS. :lol :lol :lol

But this is proof that the Pokemon brand has become something of its own. Pokemon Torouze ranked pretty high on Dengeki's chart, above biohazard 4 if I remember correctly. I'd love to see how diversified the Pokemon brand can become over the next few months. I still want my Pokemon Blue remake, though. :p

soundwave05 said:
Well it looks like Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon will become its own franchise now too.

Chunsoft developed this one right? They must be giddy as fuck.

Imagine if Nintendo ever let Square-Enix do a Pokemon spin-off ...
I'd much rather see a Kingdom Hearts-esque game. What if it starred Captain N!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I never doubted you for a second, Nintendo.

All this big N success is crazy. I had become used to being on the side of the underdog:lol

AndoCalrissian said:
I'd much rather see a Kingdom Hearts-esque game. What if it starred Captain N!

If Nintendo and Square-Enix ever made a Kingdom Hearts styled game with FF/DQ/Pokemon/Mario/Zelda etc. characters in it ....

I'd say sales of 2-3 million in Japan alone and 6-7 million worldwide would be easily attainable.

That would be a monster, monster, monster franchise.

It's possible that something like this might already be under discussion, since they're working together again on Mario 3-on-3 Basketball.

soundwave05 said:
If Nintendo and Square-Enix ever made a Kingdom Hearts styled game with FF/DQ/Pokemon/Mario/Zelda etc. characters in it ....

I'd say sales of 2-3 million in Japan alone and 6-7 million worldwide would be easily attainable.

That would be a monster, monster, monster franchise.
I honestly can't believe it hasn't been done yet. I suppose Revolution could bring some interesting gameplay mechanics to the table, and they could just use a ported and upgraded KH2 engine.

cvxfreak

A Kingdom Hearts-like game is better off including the entire Nintendo universe, including Pokemon and others. Kinda like a Smash Bros. RPG, except incorporating Disney characters or something.

Spike

I wouldn't exactly call it laughable, but I do agree to an extent.

Lower Development Costs + DS titles expanded for Rev + Gamers who want DS titles at home = Rev doing very well

Now, I'm not saying that the PS3 isn't going to win or anything. I'm saying that the Rev is going to do much, much better than everyone believes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CVXFREAK said:
A Kingdom Hearts-like game is better off including the entire Nintendo universe, including Pokemon and others. Kinda like a Smash Bros. RPG, except incorporating Disney characters or something.

Exactly. That was my original plan. It wouldn't be nearly as good if they just included the Mario universe. Imagine traversing through the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Brinstar, and the Kongo Jungle in one colossal game. Oh, god I need a cold shower...

CVXFREAK said:

It could also have serious nostalgia ... they could bring back Famicom-era Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/Nintendo characters too.

Like I said though, it wouldn't shock me if such a title has already been agreed to between the two companies. The agreement between Square and Disney for Kingdom Hearts resulted from the two companies being in the same building together and having friendly relations.

Well Square-Enix and Nintendo are back to having healthy relations now too, with the companies working together on software again.

That would be a huge announcement, too, imagine they announced it at E3 or something.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
CVXFREAK said:
Nintendo doesn't need Disney characters, they have enough.

They should have "themed" areas for the old FF/DQ games too ...

Final Fantasy I Land
Dragon Quest I Land
Final Fantasy VI Land
Famicom Land
Super Mario Land
Hyrule
Pokemon World

It'd be crazy.

The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't be shocked if such a game sold just as well as a regular Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game in Japan and maybe even bigger worldwide.

Killer app would be an understatement.

Oblivion

soundwave05 said:
That would be a huge announcement, too, imagine they announced it at E3 or something.

I was hoping they had this shit planned out for a while, and will announce it and shock the fuck out of everyone at E3, but I fear they might be just doing Nintendogs Rev. instead. :(

Fuzzy said:
Nintendo doesn't need Disney characters, they have enough.
Yep, just put in Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid, Pokemon, Kirby, Advance Wars, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out!! and maybe some more obscure older licenses like Mach Rider, Stunt Race FX and Startropics to revitalize those licenses for new games.

This could be a move to strengthen their relationship with Square, sell millions of games, and increase their cadre of popular licenses all at the same time!

Well Pokemon has like hundreds of characters by itself.

Animal Crossing and Pikmin themed worlds could also be in there. Both franchises are popular in Japan especailly.

I would friggin' die if they included some obscure Mr. Yamauchi cameo :lol

soundwave05 said:
Well Pokemon has like hundreds of characters by itself.

Animal Crossing and Pikmin themed worlds could also be in there.

I would friggin' die if they included some obscure Mr. Yamauchi cameo :lol
I think Pikmin, but Animal Crossing would be kind of strange.

AndoCalrissian said:
I think Pikmin, but Animal Crossing would be kind of strange.

Well no stranger than some of the Disney stuff in Kingdom Hearts.

Besides, I think its safe to say Animal Crossing is now a big-time franchise in Japan. 1 million sold in a few weeks en route to a possible 2 million finish ... there's only a handful of franchises in Japan that can do that.

Hell, the Professor from Brain Training could also be in it somewhere.

Oblivion

Now that I think about it, aren't RPGs the most expensive types of games to develop? A game like that huge with maybe about 8-9 Nintendo worlds would probably cost more than any game Nintendo has ever spent (even more than TP, probably).

pixelbox

omg, you people need to relax. I doubt any of you live in japan so why does this matter? By the way you guys talk, you'd think ds is this sucessful all over. Give it a rest with all the sales threads. Grow the hell up grown-ups! AHEM, now, psp sells well because it does more than just play games. Sure it's a game system too but truth is it does more. PSP is also in a different class of it's own, attracting a more mature group. Unfurtunatly this hurts the main handheld fanbase, kids. Truth is DS sells are very much like gba's but with the new approach of the touch screen, more adults, mainly female, flocked to it do to it's new simpler gameplay. That's where you get the the slightly improved sells compared to gba. Also, ds looks simple and inexpensive. Perfect for it kid or cheap thrills where as psp looks expensive as hell and complicated with all the pieces to buy(memory sticks, ect.) Not perfect for a kid. When psp gets more games, things will improve game sales-wise. But what really holds it back is price as a whole. Let not forget ds is still a gameboy, those sells are to be expected. Revolution will not be affected by this and here's why...simplicity. With ds the touch screen makes things easier and it's doesn't really change gamplay, revolution looks to make things complicated and annoying changing gameplay into a ddr environment. People want to be relaxed when playing most games, not swinging things around. But will see...the furture is a pickle to predict. It's been said before ds and psp are not in the same market. Im sure sony thought sells would be better but hey, they are doing pretty well.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
pixelbox said:
omg, you people need to relax. I doubt any of you live in japan so why does this matter? By the way you guys talk, you'd think ds is this sucessful all over. Give it a rest with all the sales threads. Grow the hell up grown-ups! AHEM, now, psp sells well because it does more than just play games. Sure it's a game system too but truth is it does more. PSP is also in a different class of it's own, attracting a more mature group. Unfurtunatly this hurts the main handheld fanbase, kids. Truth is DS sells are very much like gba's but with the new approach of the touch screen, more adults, mainly female, flocked to it do to it's new simpler gameplay. That's where you get the the slightly improved sells compared to gba. Also, ds looks simple and inexpensive. Perfect for it kid or cheap thrills where as psp looks expensive as hell and complicated with all the pieces to buy(memory sticks, ect.) Not perfect for a kid. When psp gets more games, things will improve game sales-wise. But what really holds it back is price as a whole. Let not forget ds is still a gameboy, those sells are to be expected. Revolution will not be affected by this and here's why...simplicity. With ds the touch screen makes things easier and it's doesn't really change gamplay, revolution looks to make things complicated and annoying changing gameplay into a ddr environment. People want to be relaxed when playing most games, not swinging things around. But will see...the furture is a pickle to predict. It's been said before ds and psp are not in the same market. Im sure sony thought sells would be better but hey, they are doing pretty well.
I....I think I love you.

Top Bottom