• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

mj1108

pixelbox said:
omg, you people need to relax. I doubt any of you live in japan so why does this matter? By the way you guys talk, you'd think ds is this sucessful all over. Give it a rest with all the sales threads. Grow the hell up grown-ups! AHEM, now, psp sells well because it does more than just play games. Sure it's a game system too but truth is it does more. PSP is also in a different class of it's own, attracting a more mature group. Unfurtunatly this hurts the main handheld fanbase, kids. Truth is DS sells are very much like gba's but with the new approach of the touch screen, more adults, mainly female, flocked to it do to it's new simpler gameplay. That's where you get the the slightly improved sells compared to gba. Also, ds looks simple and inexpensive. Perfect for it kid or cheap thrills where as psp looks expensive as hell and complicated with all the pieces to buy(memory sticks, ect.) Not perfect for a kid. When psp gets more games, things will improve game sales-wise. But what really holds it back is price as a whole. Let not forget ds is still a gameboy, those sells are to be expected. Revolution will not be affected by this and here's why...simplicity. With ds the touch screen makes things easier and it's doesn't really change gamplay, revolution looks to make things complicated and annoying changing gameplay into a ddr environment. People want to be relaxed when playing most games, not swinging things around. But will see...the furture is a pickle to predict. It's been said before ds and psp are not in the same market. Im sure sony thought sells would be better but hey, they are doing pretty well.

:lol :lol :lol pixelbox is here!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
pixelbox said:
Let not forget ds is still a gameboy, those sells are to be expected. Revolution will not be affected by this and here's why...simplicity. With ds the touch screen makes things easier and it's doesn't really change gamplay, revolution looks to make things complicated and annoying changing gameplay into a ddr environment. People want to be relaxed when playing most games, not swinging things around. But will see...the furture is a pickle to predict.

:lol :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I think this proves pixelbox is deserving of nlb2's tag: one of the most successful posters of all time.

Spike

pixelbox said:
omg, you people need to relax. I doubt any of you live in japan so why does this matter? By the way you guys talk, you'd think ds is this sucessful all over. Give it a rest with all the sales threads. Grow the hell up grown-ups! AHEM, now, psp sells well because it does more than just play games. Sure it's a game system too but truth is it does more. PSP is also in a different class of it's own, attracting a more mature group. Unfurtunatly this hurts the main handheld fanbase, kids. Truth is DS sells are very much like gba's but with the new approach of the touch screen, more adults, mainly female, flocked to it do to it's new simpler gameplay. That's where you get the the slightly improved sells compared to gba. Also, ds looks simple and inexpensive. Perfect for it kid or cheap thrills where as psp looks expensive as hell and complicated with all the pieces to buy(memory sticks, ect.) Not perfect for a kid. When psp gets more games, things will improve game sales-wise. But what really holds it back is price as a whole. Let not forget ds is still a gameboy, those sells are to be expected. Revolution will not be affected by this and here's why...simplicity. With ds the touch screen makes things easier and it's doesn't really change gamplay, revolution looks to make things complicated and annoying changing gameplay into a ddr environment. People want to be relaxed when playing most games, not swinging things around. But will see...the furture is a pickle to predict. It's been said before ds and psp are not in the same market. Im sure sony thought sells would be better but hey, they are doing pretty well.

You again?!?! From the last sales thread: http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=2465339#post2465339

DS is just having it's moment. I mean really, how many animal crossings, mario carts, and nintendogs sequels can you have without it getting old? How dumb can you get to do that? I know nintendo fans are mad about what happened to n64 and gc and what people have been saying about the psp but grow up. PSP isn't doing that bad in japan. Software sells show that the games are crap and people don't want them. I wouldn't buy them either. Psp needs a really good game to bring it out of the rut it's in. It's not over in japan it can still catch up close enough. One thing people forget is that psp is still fairly new and sony systems stay for 10 years (psp is the most powerful well known handheld and don't need to upgrade as a console) while DS will be replaced in 3. With that staying power and power through hardware ANYthing could happen, PSP just needs a really good game soon to do it. And as for people who called DS a virtual boy is dead wrong...it was the revolution the whole time. No one wants to jump up and down like an idiot just to play a game. Nintediots enjoy the ds sells now, revolution will be the polar opposite. I just don't get how some can rejoice over mediocre kids games. That's the reason why it sells, people are buying it for their kids! sigh!

So, is the DS still having it's moment? :lol

braces.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
pixelbox said:

This is'nt the Pretend to be GameFAQ person thread is it?

I love this line myself..

When psp gets more games, things will improve game sales-wise.
Very close to the "Once GTA LSC comes out its all over for the DS" and other doomsaying things we've heard all along, "PSP Sales in Japan any Excuse will do"

pixelbox

Spike said:
You again?!?!
So, is the DS still having it's moment?
Well at first i was replying with idiocy with idiocy. But now im serious with the leatest post. People are acting too stupid over sale at a place they don't even live in.

pixelbox

VOOK said:
I love this line myself..
Very close to the "Once GTA LSC comes out its all over for the DS" and other doomsaying things we've heard all along, "PSP Sales in Japan any Excuse will do"
I didn't say it will outsell ds or anything. Just better than what it's (psp) been doing.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
elostyle said:
Alright, your posts are so consistently incoherent - who's joke character are you?
winkywink.gif

Jonnyram

pixelbox said:
Well at first i was replying with idiocy with idiocy. But now im serious with the leatest post. People are acting too stupid over sale at a place they don't even live in.
I live in Japan though, and so do a few other people in this thread.

VOOK

And I live in Australia we're we have no Video Game Industry just EB trying flog the most expensive crap onto people.

We dont have any hardware charts here so we take Japans :lol

pixelbox

alright that's cool. still, a few people don't account for majority of the people who post in the threads. btw over there in japan who has the ds what kind of people?

pixelbox

VOOK said:
And I live in Australia we're we have no Video Game Industry just EB trying flog the most expensive crap onto people.

We dont have any hardware charts here so we take Japans :lol

Damn sounds like hell over there with the games department.

Some of us are compelled to talk about statistics and dreams that we share (Nintendo RPG), and if we see a game or system that is selling well we like to either cheer it on, and brag about good predictions or try and protect are favorite system that isn't doing amazing sales like the other one. If the sales are good on one system more games, good or bad are likely to come out on that system. Then we might be cheering on a game that we think is good. So that is why we care about sales in a country we may or may not live in.

isss thaaat cleeaarrr???

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"sigh...kids, males, females. The majority, what are the majority of the ds users."

i see where this is going and i like it! "Yeah, you have a bigger userbase but it's not made up of REAL gamers!"

AWESOME!

I think 700k, maybe even 800k might be possible for the DS next week, but I doubt Nintendo can stock even as much as they had this week. They must be running low.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
pixelbox said:
sigh...kids, males, females. The majority, what are the majority of the ds users.
A joke character who can't take a joke... who would have thought.

h-103_47155_dsjoseihicom.jpg.jpg

h-103_47155_dsnennreicom.jpg.jpg

Chicks dig the dogs... wait I have a lab, why don't I get more action?

pixelbox

Stopsign said:
Some of us are compelled to talk about statistics and dreams that we share (Nintendo RPG), and if we see a game or system that is selling well we like to either cheer it on, and brag about good predictions or try and protect are favorite system that isn't doing amazing sales like the other one. If the sales are good on one system more games, good or bad are likely to come out on that system. Then we might be cheering on a game that we think is good. So that is why we care about sales in a country we may or may not live in.

isss thaaat cleeaarrr???
sigh.. and yet that still doesn't account for the immaturity in the thread. You can discuss statistics and dreams that we share in a mature manner, without the "omg owngahge2344324 am cry" crap.

"Brain Training" is more an adults game anyway. It's attracting really older people, to whom even the content on PSP is considered "childish".

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
oh shit.. pixelbox is the man.. some of the funniest shit I've read on GAF in a while.

So pixelbox, what do you think is going to happen if Revolution comes out and has four thousand times the sales of PS3 and seven and a half thousand times the sales of X360?

mj1108

soundwave05 said:
I think 700k, maybe even 800k might be possible for the DS next week, but I doubt Nintendo can stock even as much as they had this week. They must be running low.

In last week's MC thread this same kind of thing was said when we wondered if it would hit 500k or 600k this week -- and we see what happened. I'm sure they'll get the supply in there.

pixelbox

DCharlie said:
i see where this is going and i like it! "Yeah, you have a bigger userbase but it's not made up of REAL gamers!"

AWESOME!
You got it all wrong. I just want to understand why ds is so sucessful.

Spike

pixelbox said:

No, you were just making yourself look like the idiot, I'm afraid.

See, this is what happens when earlier in the year the Sony fanboys were slamming the DS fanboys when the PSP outsold the DS for a few weeks. There were quotes like: "The DS will never outsell the PSP ever again", "Just wait until Winning Eleven 9 launches", and "GTA"LCS will single-handedly destroy the DS."

Now, the DS fanboys get their chance to slam the Sony fans. Hey, the DS fans took it in the chin, now it's the PSP fans that should grow up and take it.

And again, this is not the DS "having it's moment", this is simply Nintendo ass-raping Sony's handheld machine with games, not movies, music, and better hardware. Just good games.

Carry on.

VOOK

Spike said:

See, this is what happens when earlier in the year the Sony fanboys were slamming the DS fanboys when the PSP outsold the DS for a few weeks. There were quotes like: "The DS will never outsell the PSP ever again", "Just wait until Winning Eleven 9 launches", and "GTA"LCS will single-handedly destroy the DS."

Now, the DS fanboys get their chance to slam the Sony fans. Hey, the DS fans took it in the chin, now it's the PSP fans that should grow up and take it.

And again, this is not the DS "having it's moment", this is simply Nintendo ass-raping Sony's handheld machine with games, not movies, music, and better hardware. Just good games.

Carry on.

QFT

I've been trying to say that for a while but I would'nt of put it as nicely.

Two days ago my girlfriend spilled a drink all over her DS. We let it dry out and it worked fine except the screens were messed up. I just got into the office from trying to make a quick one to pick her up a new one before our mini-vacation tomorrow. DSes, at least in the Yurakucho seem to be in very short supply. Color selection is very limited, I had to go to 3 stores to find the color she wanted.... Could NIntendo finally be hitting a supply problem? Next weeks sales could be supply limited :-(

cvxfreak

mj1108 said:
But...but...the DS is just having it's moment!!! [/pixelbox]

If he means a moment where it sells this high, he's right but Captain Obvious at the same time. But the DS's leadership in the Japanese gaming market is surely not a moment.

VOOK

ddksanrokumaru said:
Two days ago my girlfriend spilled a drink all over her DS. We let it dry out and it worked fine except the screens were messed up. I just got into the office from trying to make a quick one to pick her up a new one before our mini-vacation tomorrow. DSes, at least in the Yurakucho seem to be in very short supply. Color selection is very limited, I had to go to 3 stores to find the color she wanted.... Could NIntendo finally be hitting a supply problem? Next weeks sales could be supply limited :-(

Also where is the PR gloating we usally get? :lol

ddksanrokumaru said:

I would think that Nintendo would have known at least two weeks ago, looking at the sales then, that this (being the biggest week in Japan sales for the year) week would require at least 500k more hardware units.

The factories in China must be pumping them out non-stop.

DCharlie

"You got it all wrong. I just want to understand why ds is so sucessful."

the implementation of game ideas in a slightly different way appeals to the masses? A steady stream of high-grade games for the Japanese market? Established brand for handheld gaming?

I'd say those are the reason it's doing so well.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
pixelbox said:
umm.. sales of the DS in japan affect smaller Japanese companies' decisions to make product for the system, which could then be picked up by localization publishers. Sales are also part of worldiwde system sales as a whole which have a direct effect on larger publishers looking for a system to give their exclusive content. The Japanese installed base should be just as important to US (or european) folks as the US numbers should be to European folks (not so much Japan who rarely latch on to wstern developed titles).

What definitely is dumb is to say "DS is storming Japan and taking over the world." While it is in the lead worldwide and will likely remain that way for this handheld gen, Sony has made great inroads with PSP and it should be well on its way to being a successful system. However that doesn't change that the DS is still the leader, will likely remain the leader, and thus will get the majority of exclusive handheld content from the larger and definitely smaller publishers.

So your whole "Japan sales don't matter unless you live there" tirdae is actually incorrect. sales anywhere of a system matter because to a large degree they dictate what kind of software support the system will see worldwide.

pixelbox

Spike said:

Carry on.
I know what i was doing and i just said that, to mirror the stupidity on both ends. See im mad at immaturity. why even stup to them? Why get hurt because a system isnt selling well? All of you grow up! no eye for an eye. just grow up. That being said if it was all about the software, why is the sucess not rippled around the world?

Jonnyram

pixelbox said:
That being said if it was all about the software, why is the sucess not rippled around the world?
It's not? I thought DS was selling pretty well across the globe. Also, the Brain Training games have not come out outside Japan yet ;)

pixelbox said:
I know what i was doing and i just said that, to mirror the stupidity on both ends. See im mad at immaturity. why even stup to them? Why get hurt because a system isnt selling well? All of you grow up! no eye for an eye. just grow up. That being said if it was all about the software, why is the sucess not rippled around the world?

Nintendogs has actually sold more in North America than Japan.

DCharlie

"Sony has made great inroads with PSP and it should be well on its way to being a successful system."

i dunno - i think the DS would have sold the same even if the PSP didn't exist. The PSP has created and then subsequently captured a new segment of handheld players.

I really really doubt that many people chose a PSP over a DS or vice versa. I think the people who bought each of the two machines (at least in japan) view them as very distinctly different machines.

pixelbox

DCharlie said:
the implementation of game ideas in a slightly different way appeals to the masses? A steady stream of high-grade games for the Japanese market? Established brand for handheld gaming?

I'd say those are the reason it's doing so well.
I still think it's because it's nintendos handheld and they always been a sucess.

pixelbox said:
I still think it's because it's nintendos handheld and they always been a sucess.

Well even for Nintendo this level of success is unprecidented.

I'm pretty sure no game console in Japan has sold 600k+ in a non-launch week.

Maybe the Famicom, but you'd have to go back 20 years or so, and we really don't have sales figures for then ... what's happening right now is pretty special.

pixelbox

DCharlie said:
i dunno - i think the DS would have sold the same even if the PSP didn't exist. The PSP has created and then subsequently captured a new segment of handheld players.

I really really doubt that many people chose a PSP over a DS or vice versa. I think the people who bought each of the two machines (at least in japan) view them as very distinctly different machines.
That's what i wanted to say.

Top Bottom